Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Game recommendation

PingusDukatPingusDukat Registered Users Posts: 5
I recently bought Warhammer 1&2, ended up buying most of the DLC, and have put nearly 200 hours into it in the last 2 weeks. Though I still have some time to go before I have tried every race, and that's not even accounting for factions that I want to play as and such, I was wondering what people would recommend for my second total war game as I really enjoy the gameplay. I got Warhammer on the recommendation of a friend but I want to try a historical one. I find the flying units a bit janky and sieges are far too long in my opinion to be any fun. What would you guys say should be my second game? I was looking at Three Kingdoms because it's the next newest one and people seem to have generally positive reviews of it but I'd really prefer a European one.

Comments

• davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,131
    I must admit, the diplomacy and UI is a lot better in 3K, in terms of strategy it's got more polish. Although the battles can never compete with WH.

Depends what time period you prefer or what's important to you in a game.. polish, unit variety, graphics etc.
  • PingusDukatPingusDukat Registered Users Posts: 5

I must admit, the diplomacy and UI is a lot better in 3K, in terms of strategy it's got more polish. Although the battles can never compete with WH.

Depends what time period you prefer or what's important to you in a game.. polish, unit variety, graphics etc.

Well I find the diplomacy in Warhammer pretty frustrating the majority of the time, I like the look of 3K (bit expensive right now but I'd give it a serious look for sure) graphics aren't a massive concern but I feel if I go back to far the gameplay might be a bit lacking. Unit variety doesn't bother me as long as the realism is protected (no gunpowder too early etc.).
    I was definitely considering 3K and everyone seems to talk up Shogun 2, I was hoping for something that would include England in medieval times but Thrones of Brittania gets a lot of flak so I'm not so sure about it.

Well I find the diplomacy in Warhammer pretty frustrating the majority of the time, I like the look of 3K (bit expensive right now but I'd give it a serious look for sure) graphics aren't a massive concern but I feel if I go back to far the gameplay might be a bit lacking. Unit variety doesn't bother me as long as the realism is protected (no gunpowder too early etc.).
    I was definitely considering 3K and everyone seems to talk up Shogun 2, I was hoping for something that would include England in medieval times but Thrones of Brittania gets a lot of flak so I'm not so sure about it.
    Shogun is a pleasant game to play, especially for a beginner, however, it's not the perfect strategic experience a few people make it out to be. It's small but well focused and a lot of attention went into the details and experience.. it still contains the normal drawbacks though.

I would recommend waiting until 25 Jun 20, roughly in 9 days as there will be a major Summer Steam Sale and you will have a choice of highly reduced TW titles.
    Shogun is a pleasant game to play, especially for a beginner, however, it's not the perfect strategic experience a few people make it out to be. It's small but well focused and a lot of attention went into the details and experience.. it still contains the normal drawbacks though.
    What are the normal drawbacks? I'm not a beginner to strategy or grand strategy but beyond about 200 hours in Warhammer I'm not aware of the general opinions of people in the community. But yeah I was planning on getting one a while from now as Warhammer will last me a while longer.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,408
    Shogun 2 has the issue that it is set all in Japan, very few unique units and most of the time it's just bonuses to a unit or type. Still gets high on my list on TWs though.

ToB is fun, a lot of people went in to it with the wrong expectations and for a small game it is fun, I've enjoyed my time in it and it has some good additions for the series but probably not the staying power of the others.

For European based, Empire is still my favourite. However it is the oldest on this engine so is a bit dated and has issues for some on the new systems. Rome2/Attila...are ok, I have enjoyed them but they do have issues as well.

What are the normal drawbacks? I'm not a beginner to strategy or grand strategy but beyond about 200 hours in Warhammer I'm not aware of the general opinions of people in the community. But yeah I was planning on getting one a while from now as Warhammer will last me a while longer.

As long as you don't have big expectations about the quality of the AI you will be fine. The AI will be given serious advantages to level the playing field.

There are very few different units in Shogun 2, although there are some unit packs for DLC and I think you get all the DLC for free when you buy it.

After some initial challenge you will start to steam roll the game making the mid and end game a little boring.

If you are used to Warhammer then historical can seem a little dated or at least the battles are less exciting or complex.

On the plus side Shogun has a great RPG element in terms of the different characters like Generals, Geishas, Ninjas etc.
    After some initial challenge you will start to steam roll the game making the mid and end game a little boring.

If you are used to Warhammer then historical can seem a little dated or at least the battles are less exciting or complex.
    I don't really use the units outside of melee and range so I don't think battles being less exciting will be an issue but I'm not sure, Thrones of Brittania suits me more for the time period but then I'm not opposed to Japan in Shogun or China in 3K, however AI is an issue and I find it frustrating in Warhammer at the best of times, so I'm not sure I want an earlier release, so I think I might go for 3K when it becomes a little cheaper.

3K deals with the mid and late game issue well. There is a constant 3 way dynamic, meaning there are constantly 3 major allies. The last time I played the balance was kept quite well, much better than previous games. I reckon 3K could be 50% off in the sale.

Thrones is a little limited but on the plus side the siege battles are some of the best and the battle music is also top tier.

Thanks for the help, I'm not fully decided but I have plenty of time to make up my mind, maybe watch some videos of both of youtube and then see how much they cost and make a decision when the sales start.