Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Vlad von Carstein badly needs an update

Otters007Otters007 Registered Users Posts: 984
Been seeing a lot of Vlad streams recently, he is such a cool character.

But both Turin and Loremaster of Sotek recently complained over Vlad's lack of utility, with being hard to kill all he brings to the table. They also note he is literally never seen in multiplayer.

I have long agreed with this. Vlad is just not in a good place balance-wise at all. In lore he is meant to be an absolute monster on the battlefield, an incredible warrior.

But he suffers badly in-game as a foot lord, his armour piercing sucks, and he is outshone by just about every vampire lord with a mount. Heck, even Kemmler is brought more often in multiplayer matches then Vlad.

Vlad needs more armour piercing, and some new abilities that can help him close the gap to the generic lords that can ride dragons. Maybe giving him a horse would help. Otherwise, just more AP and some abilities.

But CA has left him the same way for a long time and he is just getting stale. I am starting to wonder if they will ever update him :/

Comments

• vizareshvizaresh Registered Users Posts: 88
    I think VC Legendary lords will get an update in the future DLCs, just like GS did.

My prediction is that we will get a VC vs WE and Dwarves vs BM DLC with two FLC Legendary Lords for DE and Skaven and all 4 factions will be brought up to date.
  • mightygloinmightygloin Registered Users Posts: 2,570
    Vlad the Papa should get a properly big sword with AP attacks and non empire-general animations for flavour. The rest would be adjusting numbers and abilities.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 24,666
    O that will be fixed by putting Vlad on a Zombie Drago...no TWO Zombie Dragons. Then CA will ruin him by balancing his items all around the mount so he'll never be good when not sitting on it.

• Loupi_Loupi_ Registered Users Posts: 1,722
    AP and terror with +150 gold
  • kasunrathnatungakasunrathnatunga Registered Users Posts: 4,034

O that will be fixed by putting Vlad on a Zombie Drago...no TWO Zombie Dragons. Then CA will ruin him by balancing his items all around the mount so he'll never be good when not sitting on it.

DO NOT GIVE THEM IDEAS. I LIKE VLAD!!!
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia
  • sandercohensandercohen Registered Users Posts: 192
    Speed to 50
    Faster / different animations for better horde clearing abilities
    Terror

Adjust pricing accordingly

There is this trend currently to make footlords viable by stacking them with more abilities, but I do not believe that this is a desirable road to take. There are already too many nets and slows in this game, we have to approach the problem from a different direction, and in the case of vampire footlords, increasing their speed is lore-consistent and would increase their viability.
  • another505another505 Registered Users Posts: 1,847
    I get CA loves monsters cause its grab customers attention

but they can just do that with fancier animations for foot lords and showcase it

and give a bit bigger splash dmg
  • Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Registered Users Posts: 8,905

False
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 24,666

False
    Yep, because they'll better up and remove the stupid mounts like the pigeon and the parrot instead.

• Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Registered Users Posts: 8,905

False
    Yep, because they'll better up and remove the stupid mounts like the pigeon and the parrot instead.
    False
  • Meteor18Meteor18 Registered Users Posts: 157
    Bigger sword and faster speed are immediate solutions. More than anything he needs a teleporting ability, but that is probably never going to happen.
  • ystyst Registered Users Posts: 7,182
    edited June 18
    Complete ap swap
    Upgrade dark granduer to -8 instead of -4 ld

Carstein ring needs some serious rework, maybe into something like in melee, 15% ward save. Current state is garbage being a foot lord 30s is really spent on flying and ground kissing

Horse mount is debatable, but really complete ap swap like what they did to treemans should be a great start
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 19,711
    Posts removed. Let's all keep personalities and personal remarks out of the conversation. Discuss the thread topic and and not each other or ones opinion of other opinions.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 11,882
    Otters007 said:

Been seeing a lot of Vlad streams recently, he is such a cool character.

But both Turin and Loremaster of Sotek recently complained over Vlad's lack of utility, with being hard to kill all he brings to the table. They also note he is literally never seen in multiplayer.

I have long agreed with this. Vlad is just not in a good place balance-wise at all. In lore he is meant to be an absolute monster on the battlefield, an incredible warrior.

But he suffers badly in-game as a foot lord, his armour piercing sucks, and he is outshone by just about every vampire lord with a mount. Heck, even Kemmler is brought more often in multiplayer matches then Vlad.

Vlad needs more armour piercing, and some new abilities that can help him close the gap to the generic lords that can ride dragons. Maybe giving him a horse would help. Otherwise, just more AP and some abilities.

But CA has left him the same way for a long time and he is just getting stale. I am starting to wonder if they will ever update him :/

Yea Vlad need a dragon or at least a horse, also Vlad need a bigger sword, like in the tabletop.

• tank3487tank3487 Member Registered Users Posts: 1,669
    Yeah. The most iconic VC Lord being so pathetic are quite sad thing.
    I would have start with his -4 LD being buffed to -8 LD like Karl and similar passives.

And if he has no shield, he need AP.
  • tank3487tank3487 Member Registered Users Posts: 1,669
    Loupi_ said:

AP and terror with +150 gold

Terror are redundant and useless for VC roster. They have so much terror sources already. Almost all factions right now bring either ItP auras vs VC(hi from Skaven and GS), undead, or have such high LD that do not care.

Instead he should get AP and his passive should give -8 LD instead of -4 like Boris or Karl.
  • sonofabhorashsonofabhorash Registered Users Posts: 194
    Isabella is so much better than he simply because of her mobility

I take him only against the skaven tryin to maximize morale hits

his ring is a joke
  • Lord_DistamorfinLord_Distamorfin Registered Users Posts: 895
    I really hope they do something big for the Vampire Counts as a whole in the next game. Vlad in particular needs:
    - More AP damage and movement speed
    - A more interesting skill tree
    - A properly sized sword and a unique animation set
    - A new face
  • mightygloinmightygloin Registered Users Posts: 2,570
    His face was beastly on TT art as well. Wouldn't say that's any priority. Look at his sword on the other hand.. feels like making Ghal-Maraz a one-handed mace.

Totally not an Empire General FLC reskin. You hear that Helman??
  • another505another505 Registered Users Posts: 1,847

His face was beastly on TT art as well. Wouldn't say that's any priority. Look at his sword on the other hand.. feels like making Ghal-Maraz a one-handed mace.

At least it isnt alberic with the same voice with generic bret lord lol
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 3,761
    edited June 19
    I don't consider Vlad to be a bad foot lord character. He has a lot of utility.
  • kasunrathnatungakasunrathnatunga Registered Users Posts: 4,034

At least it isnt alberic with the same voice with generic bret lord lol
    that hurts my soul. alberic. brets are so unfinished
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia

Noctilus on foot is outclassing Vlad, CA gave Noctilus a nice Halberd, while Vlad's Sword got shrank.
  • Wyvern2Wyvern2 Registered Users Posts: 1,549
    1)I don't actually think Vlad is that bad. He is fairly cheap and very beefy. -4 LD isn't terrible, -40 MA point and click on shortish CD is strong, plus hes still an alright caster. Everybody is bashing the ring but 90% resistance basically makes him the only foot lord you can bring vs a cheesy burst sniping faction like empire or skaven with good confidence that he will survive to reach the fight. The one useless item is the extra regen in melee. He can already sustain himself through basically everything without it.
    2)The biggest issue vampire counts have is honestly lord choice. Unless Vlad was some sort of grossly overtuned lord option like manny/blood dragon, he would never be a super popular or strong pick. He's a niche choice if you happen to wanna skimp on your lord cost with some sort of assurance of survivability. That's basically it. Personally I run him occasionally and when I do i find he performs fine. If he got some stat improvements or something, I think it would be fine, but would have tocome with a cost hike.
    Regularly publish Total War: Warhammer 2 content on my YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPI93p-X2T4YKD18O16bhPw
  • Lord_DistamorfinLord_Distamorfin Registered Users Posts: 895

The problem with his currently face isn't that it's beastly. On the contrary, I don't think it's beastly at all. He looks like he was just dug up from a battlefield somewhere with all the wounds on his face. I want him to look more like his model or the cover Vampire Wars: monstrous and bat-like, but also kind of handsome. Not the chopped nose ghoul we got.
  • The_real_FAUSTThe_real_FAUST Registered Users Posts: 770
    Just give him AP

Then. And importantly

Rework isabella into a LH with synergy with Vlad. Something like

"undying partnership"

Whilst both are on the battlefield 30% ward save to both of them (not in an aura)

Change Carstein ring to grant a too horrible to die mechanic (without the instant death).

NO MOUNT for Vlad.
  • EmrysorEmrysor Registered Users Posts: 150
    edited June 19
    He needs to get a flying dragon, but with a twist. Since he is such an awesome dead dude that commands respect, you should let him stand on the dragon like a surfboard. If anybody ask he can do that because of magic. And maybe update some voicelines exclusive to when he is in the mount. 'I am Vlad von Carstein, greatest io the vampires, I am the eternal emperor and all should serve me'. Ohh and maybe give him slow attack missile attack with dark lightning so you got an undead Jupiter!
  • Otters007Otters007 Registered Users Posts: 984

Just give him AP

Then. And importantly

Rework isabella into a LH with synergy with Vlad. Something like

"undying partnership"

Whilst both are on the battlefield 30% ward save to both of them (not in an aura)

Change Carstein ring to grant a too horrible to die mechanic (without the instant death).

NO MOUNT for Vlad.

The too horrible to die mechanic is a great idea for the carstein ring. For one, it would make blood drinker useful again, and secondly it would do something that actually fits with the lore.

The ring does not provide Vlad protection from wounds, it resurrects him when he dies. That should be represented in the game.
  • ystyst Registered Users Posts: 7,182
    Isabella shpuldve never been a LL.

She needs to be a hero so both cam be on the field
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
    Wyvern2 said:

I don't actually think Vlad is that bad. He is fairly cheap and very beefy.

Only one problem, the Progenitor of the Von Carstein Bloodline should not be Cheap.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MonsterProgenitor