Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

decline in quality of the section

Green0Green0 Registered Users Posts: 6,370
edited June 26 in Balancing Discussions
@mods

please cleanse this section of the following, lately it has declined A TON in quality:

- trolling (deliberate attempts to muddy waters/derail the thread from the original goal/purpose, e.g. some people love to mention that some factions get unit X in a thread talking about a totally different faction). Very often it is clear that the attempt to muddy waters is deliberate because the language used is above the lines and includes invented verbs such as "elfed" and the general impression one gets from such trolling comments is that the trolling party is trying to mock the userbase at large and mods specifically.

- unnecessarily verbose discussions. Recent example being the Rangers thread. I doubt that anyone sane, including the CA team, read past page 3 of that thread, and based on a quick skim through the remaining pages it's a lot of arguing of "this faction deserves to be like that because it was like that in the lore" and other 500 word essays to argue a moot point that was already presented pages ago and that everyone is aware of such as "Chaos needs to be better than HE because...". Advice is to close such threads promptly, waste of space and it encourages even reasonable people to reply to keep the thread going.

- spamming of threads (there is a user who opened ~5 threads this week I believe, very often his balancing suggestions stem from lore and sometims they even ignore that some mechanics that he asks for are already in the game.

- smurf/troll accounts (a guy who names his account "CA bias 2 elves" probably should have his account either renamed or suspended for a period of time as it's clear already from the name and the messages written in all caps that the guy is up to no good - just to make one example.

This is the low hanging fruit, I am not saying nuke everyone's opinion, everyone has a right to speak, but there is such a thing as "too much freedom is no freedom at all". Please let's try to keep this section lean, essentially purge all trolling and threads that reach 5+ pages while going totally offtopic.

Ty for reading.

Comments

• The_real_FAUSTThe_real_FAUST Registered Users Posts: 770
    Agree with most of what you say.

Disagree on the ranger thread. It hasn't gone off topic, it's long but that's not a bad thing, there are multiple new arguments/comparisons being brought but they are all still relevant to the topic at hand.

It's also illustrative if how controversial that unit is and therefore deserves it's balancing thread
  • Cukie251Cukie251 Registered Users Posts: 977
    edited June 26
    Points one and two are purely subjective. Using a vaguely defined term like "muddying the waters" to describe a bannable offense silly. I'm fairly sure there's a few people who would accuse you of muddying the waters and being unnecessarily verbose.

I'm not commenting on whether its true or not but I think it ultimately shows the point that those are subjective, meaningless, and arbitrary metrics. Above all they are definitely not reasons to cut thread sizes or ban people.

There's no reasonable metric you can put on when a comment or thread length gets too long either. Some discussions devolve into garbage on the first page, some are consistently productive. There's also absolutely no way this can be judged on a case by case basis.
  • ystyst Registered Users Posts: 7,182
    Totally agree, any mods reading this wouldve immediately removed this thread. Completely irrelevant to balancing, off to the rants section
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
  • kasunrathnatungakasunrathnatunga Registered Users Posts: 4,031
    mods are not active any more. i think we see one in a blue moon
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia
  • MTechMTech Registered Users Posts: 493
    yst said:

Totally agree, any mods reading this wouldve immediately removed this thread. Completely irrelevant to balancing, off to the rants section

XD
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 24,667
  • MooncakeMooncake Registered Users Posts: 591
    I remember this section being absolutely atrocious years ago. Hard to imagine it is worse.
  • UagrimUagrim Registered Users Posts: 1,002
    Feels like their are a lot more people now.
  • Green0Green0 Registered Users Posts: 6,370
    yst said:

the fact that you are allowed to do your thing on a daily basis is conclusive proof mods are on vacation.

Agree with most of what you say.

Disagree on the ranger thread. It hasn't gone off topic, it's long but that's not a bad thing, there are multiple new arguments/comparisons being brought but they are all still relevant to the topic at hand.

It's also illustrative if how controversial that unit is and therefore deserves it's balancing thread

I have no strong feelings either way about Rangers merely stating that I've never seen a thread go 10 pages and useful information appear in the 10th page. It's a game in the end, arguments like "Rangers have 1 MA too much or they kill Gor Herd 35% of the time but should kill them 34% only are not very relevant". Does the unit feel OP in any matchups? Do HE feel OP as a whole? This is what should drive balancing imo. Nobody cares about ranking all infantry units from #1 to #10 and Rangers are likely here to stay so saying stuff like "CA should delete the unit" is probably gonna be ignored.
  • mightygloinmightygloin Registered Users Posts: 2,570
    Funny that not long ago i used to know a guy who engaged in dwarf threads only to muddy the waters and cause verbose discussions to get the thread closed. Sorry couldn't resist..

• 39821739175248623982173917524862 Registered Users Posts: 1,010
    I see the jezzail threads have faded from people's memories. The amount of pages and multiple threads about them have nothing on the 1 thread about rangers.
  • BjornNorlinderBjornNorlinder Registered Users Posts: 222
    There is one user in particular that seems the most toxic or rather the only one...
  • another505another505 Registered Users Posts: 1,845
    edited June 26
    I swear someone else here was using smurf accounts too

I remembered the guy got the bars on his avatars, then someone suddenly popped in with an account made in a day of, with a DE avatar, and just rant on all the HE threads. Then promptly that person never showed up anymore when the person with bars lost the bars and returned.

I wonder who he is :o
    edited June 27

I swear someone else here was using smurf accounts too

I remembered the guy got the bars on his avatars, then someone suddenly popped in with an account made in a day of, with a DE avatar, and just rant on all the HE threads. Then promptly that person never showed up anymore when the person with bars lost the bars and returned.

I wonder who he is :o

Oh jeself thats super, like jeez the level of embarrassment is just Unparalleled.

We al know who that is lol, the only guy who got banned twice.

Its weird, i mean how hard is it to test stuffs and check the units? Like twstats is RIGHT THERE, i can understand if twstats doenst exists but man, thats all u need for balance
  • WitchbladeWitchblade Registered Users Posts: 594
    I do feel the latest patch showed CA's new balance team doesn't care much about balance suggestions from the community. There have been multiple threads with very clear consensus from the community about very low hanging fruit changes, like buffing khalida on foot, that would take like 5 minutes to implement and yet have been completely ignored.

Duck was doing so much better the past months, being more communicative with the community and explaining the rationale for his balance changes and existing bugs. That was the direction the multiplayer of this game needs to become more popular.
    Analog said:

Couldn't think of anything else on the tier of a 'humiliating, face ripping Lose on silverins.'

Couldnt care less if they didnt do anything about silverins. They can even buff them for all i care, 0 impact on my life lol
    edited June 27
    too much drama in this thread now @Green0 u summoned tezeench
  • boomslang24boomslang24 Registered Users Posts: 17
    It is interesting to note that in the recent days the human quality of love shines through in the balancing forums. If it weren't for the caring individuals here we would never have made it to the 3.0 human race.
  • Disposable HeroDisposable Hero Registered Users Posts: 4,767
    Yes moderation is poor. It's totally absent until someone whines enough and false flags, then they delete some posts at the end of the thread, missing the context. That's my recent experience.

Yes moderation is poor. It's totally absent until someone whines enough and false flags, then they delete some posts at the end of the thread, missing the context. That's my recent experience.

They are not active anymore . We only see dge1, the other two are absent so must have irl issues.
    May be someother people should volunteer to be mods.