Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Should Charge Bonus Buff just be map wide?

another505another505 Registered Users Posts: 1,847
From this thread:https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/268139/auras-skills-balance-overwiev#latest

Charge bonus buffs are just hard to time and position, and are limited:

You have to use it in a small time frame (before the charge)

often the bonus is too little for its cost

the size of the aura is small that could only buff itself and 1 other unit reliably.

It buffs well on specific units only unlike WS and MA/MD buffs that is always helpful regardless for chaffs/elites.

Most of the battle it doesnt come useful. CB effect only last ten seconds that degrades too so that sweet 80 CB you see is only in the first second in combat.

Look at Thane, and Alberic's CB buff, never taken

We already have some CB Buff map wide buff like Lore of Wild passive, Orion's horn and they arent broken.
Though they are activated and others are permanent aura, regardless, they are too limited and unhelpful

the numbers can always be tweaked if needed but i doubt it since their numbers are often so little anyways.

Comments

• kasunrathnatungakasunrathnatunga Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    Thane charge bonus is kind of redundant though dawi don't have lot of high charge bonus units. I would rather get something more useful on a thane.

As far alberic sprit of tempest goes yes i am all for it make it map wide.

For ze lady!!!
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia
  • AWizard_LizardAWizard_Lizard Registered Users Posts: 1,233

Thane charge bonus is kind of redundant though dawi don't have lot of high charge bonus units. I would rather get something more useful on a thane.

The charge bonus it gives is in raw number, it doesn't depend on the recipient's charge bonus. Therefore (technically) it is very useful since the final charge bonus is pretty big.

This item's problems lie elsewhere.

For the record, it used to be useless in the bonus it gave as well, when the buff was some percentage of a unit's charge bonus, which is abysmal across the roster.
    Karaz-a-Karak Discord server
  • another505another505 Registered Users Posts: 1,847

The charge bonus it gives is in raw number, it doesn't depend on the recipient's charge bonus. Therefore (technically) it is very useful since the final charge bonus is pretty big.

This item's problems lie elsewhere.

For the record, it used to be useless in the bonus it gave as well, when the buff was some percentage of a unit's charge bonus, which is abysmal across the roster.
    Is just really hard to use it especially in multiplayer with so many things hapening in an instant.
  • TheKrakenmeisterTheKrakenmeister Registered Users Posts: 51
    They'd be fine if their effect was much, MUCH higher.

I have no idea why they're so insistent on % buffs but if they are, all CB buffs could be doubled, tripled, and in some cases quadrupled with no huge effect on the game.
  • PocmanPocman Registered Users Posts: 2,709

I have no idea why they're so insistent on % buffs but if they are, all CB buffs could be doubled, tripled, and in some cases quadrupled with no huge effect on the game.

Nah, even if the effect was higher, it would still much more difficult to use than other simple buffs like armour, MA/MD or WS buffs.

They need to be more powerful AND easier to use. For example, 55 meters range auras instead of 40...
    Pocman said:

Nah, even if the effect was higher, it would still much more difficult to use than other simple buffs like armour, MA/MD or WS buffs.

They need to be more powerful AND easier to use. For example, 55 meters range auras instead of 40...
    55 is still hard to use especially if they are activated abilities

just make it map wide
  • Green0Green0 Registered Users Posts: 6,370
    make it single target and +40 CB to target unit or something like that.
  • Elder_BasiliskElder_Basilisk Registered Users Posts: 382
    Alberic's isn't so bad. Odds are good he's riding with two units of knights and odds are good they're both in position. Since you don't have to activate it, it just happens.

Others, like the Thane, etc are a lot harder to use. And activated charge bonus abilities are really hard to use (except for deadly onslaught on a flying character--thats fairly easy).

Alberic's isn't so bad. Odds are good he's riding with two units of knights and odds are good they're both in position. Since you don't have to activate it, it just happens.

Others, like the Thane, etc are a lot harder to use. And activated charge bonus abilities are really hard to use (except for deadly onslaught on a flying character--thats fairly easy).

for 145 gold i think its bad..... he is usually flying for his AP/AL making it harder for him to stay the same speed with other ground cavs
  • Godefroy_de_BouillonGodefroy_de_Bouillon Registered Users Posts: 2,474
    Yeah I never take it. Make it map wide active, with CB and Ma like He version. But with 2 uses. Then it should be a blue ability like3it used to be.
  • user_clueuser_clue Registered Users Posts: 7
    A map wide charge and speed bonus of 10% would be a huge buff to Alberic. I don't know it would place for balance, but it would definitely need a pretty steep price increase
    Numbers can always be tweaked
  • BastileanBastilean Registered Users Posts: 440
    It could be a constant 30m aura charge buff.

Or it could auto go off...

Active: unit is charging

Effect: 30m area buff to CB for 30 seconds

So you have to charge the dude when the other dudes charge as would be cinematically appropriate.
  • Godefroy_de_BouillonGodefroy_de_Bouillon Registered Users Posts: 2,474
    Bastilean said:

So you have to charge the dude when the other dudes charge as would be cinematically appropriate.

No that would be useless. Unless it's really high cb bonus.

I think they can make it just like imriks dragonhorn. Map wide c active or something like that.
  • kasunrathnatungakasunrathnatunga Registered Users Posts: 4,034

Bastilean said:

No that would be useless. Unless it's really high cb bonus.

I think they can make it just like imriks dragonhorn. Map wide c active or something like that.
    more like orions horn off the wild hunt
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia