Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

WH3 campaign hypothesis

GupualGupual Registered Users Posts: 11
It is certain WH3 will have a stand-alone campaign, but what will the leitmotiv be? In WH1 we had two pairs of mutual hatreds (Dwarfs-Greenskins, Empire-VC) with the glooming menace of Archaon, in WH2 we had the fight for the Vortex... What about WH3, in your opinion?

I think a race for the control of the trade routes between the Old World and Cathay could easily involve Kislevites, Ogres, Hungs, Kurgans, maybe an imperial expedition, a Bretonnian one and even a Cathayan one (without a problematic extension of the map to East), Dogs of War, Dark Elven or Vampire pirates... there are plenty of options. Daemons of Chaos could play a role similar to WH1's Warriors of Chaos, but I have not ideas about how to include Chaos Dwarfs and,eventually, Nagash.
Tagged:

Comments

• Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,744
    Asia Truck Simulator sounds fun. A lot higher stakes than the Vortex. Perfect for the finale.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • Cortes31Cortes31 Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    I say

The Great Maw is hungry!

"In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No faction shall escape my sight.
    Let those who think deniers are right
    Beware my power--Faction Lantern's light!"

Everythime a faction/race is excluded from the trilogy, these games become smaller. RIP Araby and others.
  • GupualGupual Registered Users Posts: 11

Asia Truck Simulator sounds fun. A lot higher stakes than the Vortex. Perfect for the finale.

Thus put, it's terrible, but the lust for the money, the glory and the power that a dangerous, far land can provide could be a thing.
    Cortes31 said:

I say

The Great Maw is hungry!

Ogres will be great, but i think the Great (geographical) Maw will be excluded from the map because it is too much eastbound, obviously in the no-Cathay scenario. The Great (religious) Maw would still be perfect as a leitmotiv for the vast majority of Ogre factions, excluding eventual mercenary ones (and the trade route dominator i proposed).
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,744
    Gupual said:

Thus put, it's terrible, but the lust for the money, the glory and the power that a dangerous, far land can provide could be a thing.
    I'm just being facetious. I do think they need to keep upping the anti. And whilst that could be a campaign idea, I don't think it ups the pressure on the player story wise.
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • Lord_HenkusLord_Henkus Registered Users Posts: 1,581
    edited July 1
    Go into the warp and **** **** up
    How negative I may sound, game is stil 11 out of 10

Also, please slow down combat!

• ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 9,097
    I‘m hoping for individual story plots, the vortex race is pretty outdated...
  • DaruwindDaruwind Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 518
    Pre-order - Kislev - speedbumb

Ogres - Great Maw is hungry!
    Chaos Dwarves - Hashut wanna be upstar, ideally use Maw..

Thanquol - Great Horned Rat wanna move up, scheme consuming Maw yes-yes!
    Nagash - ascending to godhood number...let´s consume world, starting with Maw

Chaos Gods - Great game, **** each other, burn world, well maybe use Maw to consume whole world?
    Daruwind said:

Chaos Gods - Great game, **** each other, burn world, well maybe use Maw to consume whole world?

Kislev is to big for the preorder bonus
  • Bonutz619Bonutz619 Registered Users Posts: 2,411
    Preorder:
    Southern Realms or Kislev

Core Races:
    DoC
    Chaos Dwarfs
    Ogres
    Southern Realms or Kislev

DLC:
    Southern Realms or Kislev - if one of these two isn’t the preorder or a core race.
    Monogods
    Cathay
    Legion of Nagash
    Whole bunch of lord packs

I also think we’ll be getting full sized continents and the inclusion of the Far East.
    Daruwind said:

• MooncakeMooncake Registered Users Posts: 606
    ArneSo said:

Daruwind said:

Is it though? It could be if the Kislev army book from the new line releases before WH3, but it certainly isn't that big right now.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    Some possibilities:

1. A central plot device everyone is fighting over, like the Vortex.
    2. Each race has their own goal, like later WH2 DLCs.
    3. No overall plot as such, just battle for domination, mostly like WH1 (I'm not really counting the Chaos Invasion as a "storyline", it's more of an late-midgave/endgame challenge).
    ArneSo said:

Kislev in lore is exactly 2 LL pre-order size DLC. 10 bucks.

And yes, you can use unnatural magic to enlarge it to 4-6 LL as we discussed many times but from lore point of view it still makes the biggest sense to put there Katarina/Boris and call it a day.
  • BaronRodneyBaronRodney Registered Users Posts: 848
    I’m sure that the WH3 campaign will strongly revolve around the chaos invasion that may itself be a campaign mechanic of the DoC or perhaps just a scripted invasion (albeit at larger scale) like in WH1.

Chaos dwarfs could be working to aid it or have a more interesting angle like how Norsca treats the WoC invasion where they could counter it for their own ends.

Ogres would be pitted against it (no profit in destroying the world) as would Kislev.

I think that short of a timer that counts down to random doom stacks though this invasion will be a lot of interesting and multi-faceted. Effecting all parts of the world from winds of magic to public order to Beastmen and WoC stacks spawning, right the way through to daemons walking the earth.

Every hint about WH3 from CA suggests it’s all about chaos. Hard to see the games main campaign not being thus focused.
  • TheGreatPamphletTheGreatPamphlet Registered Users Posts: 457
    No idea about the lore, but it will be something strongly linked with Chaos. As the four starting factions will be the Chaos deities, it could probably revolve around gaining supremacy over the Chaos hordes. Chaos Dwarfs and Ogres will have separate mechanics, like WH2's DLCs.
    Nestor.

Allah, Suriya, Bashar w Bas!
    edited July 2

No idea about the lore, but it will be something strongly linked with Chaos. As the four starting factions will be the Chaos deities, it could probably revolve around gaining supremacy over the Chaos hordes. Chaos Dwarfs and Ogres will have separate mechanics, like WH2's DLCs.

A focus on Chaos infighting could also make it possible to insert, as I saw others propose on the forum, a map of the Realms of Chaos accessible only to Daemons (A sort of mini-map where they would spend a limited amount of initial turns and whence they would then emerge, ready or not in the case of being player-controlled).
  • ThomassiniThomassini Registered Users Posts: 714
    ArneSo said:

Daruwind said:

Kislev is literally nine regions divided among four provinces, maximum of twelve regions if you count hypothetical Wheatlands in game 3 map. No colonies or expeditions other than that whatsoever. That’s smaller than Bretonnia (which is unnaturally shrunk by CA btw, as it should be at least twice as big), Tomb Kings, and on par with Vampire Coast and Wood Elves, both of which are not empire builders as opposed to Kislev.

Having said that, churning out Vampirates as a full-fledged campaign pack with 4 LLs and not having Kislev at least on the same level of fleshiness would be a travesty.
    Daruwind said:

ArneSo said:

Kislev in lore is exactly 2 LL pre-order size DLC. 10 bucks.

And yes, you can use unnatural magic to enlarge it to 4-6 LL as we discussed many times but from lore point of view it still makes the biggest sense to put there Katarina/Boris and call it a day.
    Again, 2 LL races should never be a thing again and Kislev can easily get 6 LLs.

Please stop spreading that nonsense that they only have 2 LL characters. It’s factual wrong.

ArneSo said:

Daruwind said:

Kislev is literally nine regions divided among four provinces, maximum of twelve regions if you count hypothetical Wheatlands in game 3 map. No colonies or expeditions other than that whatsoever. That’s smaller than Bretonnia (which is unnaturally shrunk by CA btw, as it should be at least twice as big), Tomb Kings, and on par with Vampire Coast and Wood Elves, both of which are not empire builders as opposed to Kislev.

Having said that, churning out Vampirates as a full-fledged campaign pack with 4 LLs and not having Kislev at least on the same level of fleshiness would be a travesty.
    I didn’t mean geographical to big and even then it’s big enough to be a core race.

Kislev should be a core race or at least a campaign pack, but wasting it as the cheap preorder bonus would be terrible.
    ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

Daruwind said:

I didn’t mean geographical to big and even then it’s big enough to be a core race.

Kislev should be a core race or at least a campaign pack, but wasting it as the cheap preorder bonus would be terrible.
    I am skeptical about Kislev as a core race, but campaign pack would certainly be a viable option. The thing is - will they release a 20$ campaign pack as a preorder bonus?

ArneSo said:

ArneSo said:

Daruwind said:

I am skeptical about Kislev as a core race, but campaign pack would certainly be a viable option. The thing is - will they release a 20$ campaign pack as a preorder bonus?
    Probably not that’s why I‘m saying Kislev as well as DoW are to big for the preorder which will probably be a cheap 10€ DLC.

Keep in mind that Norsca reused a lot of old units and WoC was there anyways since Ca originally planned to make it only the end game challenge.

Kislevs unit roster would 100% unique and yes some animations would be the same, but just look at TK here which share most animations with VC.

Kislev as a fan favourite is also way to popular to be the preorder bonus.

I think it is the strongest contender for the 4th slot.
    If the campaign is focused on Chaos Kislev, being the first bastion of Mankind against it, will be present from start. I think it is much easier Ogres will be a race pack, by comparison, having different projects for the Dark Lands.

Also, if the campaign is centered on Chaos, a 4th race few people are considering are Hungs and/or Kurgans.
    ArneSo said:

I have a feeling that CA will again subvert our expectations as for the mythical “4th slot”.

I’m also thinking that Bretonnia route might be very suitable for Kislev - some basic non-playable roster at the launch, then adding a full FLC race with as many LLs as they wish. This very conveniently circumvents the “no DLC for DLC” and “not enough material for a core race“ problems.

ArneSo said:

I have a feeling that CA will again subvert our expectations as for the mythical “4th slot”.

I’m also thinking that Bretonnia route might be very suitable for Kislev - some basic non-playable roster at the launch, then adding a full FLC race with as many LLs as they wish. This very conveniently circumvents the “no DLC for DLC” and “not enough material for a core race“ problems.
    I don’t think we will get another FLC race, the FLC will be Immortal Empires.

Also, there is no „Not enough material for a core race“ problem. Kislev has more than enough to be a core race with 2 DLCs. Keep in mind that GW is turning Kislev into a „major“ race it this very moment.

Kislev also is the only real good guy left and perfectly fits the narrative for a Chaos focused apocalyptic WH3.
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 2,104
    edited July 2

No colonies or expeditions other than that whatsoever. .

Gryphon Legion is pretty much 'an expedition'.
    ArneSo said:

Kislev has more than enough to be a core race with 2 DLCs

Has it? Let's perform an experiment. Take their current roster and try to carve it up into starting roster and 2 DLCs.
    SerPus said:

No colonies or expeditions other than that whatsoever. .

Gryphon Legion is pretty much 'an expedition'.
    ArneSo said:

Kislev has more than enough to be a core race with 2 DLCs

Has it? Let's perform an experiment. Take their current roster and try to carve it up into starting roster and 2 DLCs.
    Legendary Lords:
    - Tzarina Katarin
    - Boris Ursun
    - Ivan Radinov
    - Ulrica Magdova
    - Baba Yaga
    - Stephan Raisin
    - Ilja of Murova

Lords:
    - Boyar
    - Ice Witches
    - Hag Mother

Heroes:
    - Druzhina
    - Checkist
    - Priest of Ursun
    - Ice Mage
    - Hag Witch

Infantry:
    - Bowmen
    - Axemen
    - Gospodar Militia
    - Kossars
    - Streltsi
    - Cossacks
    - Droyaska
    - Bokha Palace Guard/Kreml Guard
    - Ice Guard
    - Sibyrian Hunters
    - Kislevite Rangers
    - Beast Tamers
    - Ursun Cultists

Cavalry units:
    - Ungol Horse Archers
    - Mounted Huns
    - Mounted Cossacks
    - Winged Lancers
    - Gryphon Legion
    - Sons of Ursun

Chariots:
    - War Wagon (melee)
    - War Wagon (bows)
    - War Wagon (rifles)

Monsters and Beasts:
    - Hawks of Miska
    - Ice Spirits
    - Frostfiends
    - Bear Pack
    - Giant Bear

Artillery:
    - Mortars
    - Urugan Cannon

Additional content:
    - Whatever new stuff gets added with The Old World

For DLC I could see the Ungol and Hunter theme, so both Stepan Raisin amd Ilja of Murova would be good choices. I could also see the whole Hag Witch theme being saved for DLC so that would make Baba Yaga a Good Choice.

To sum it up:

Core:
    - Boris Ursun
    - Katarin

FLC:
    - Ulrika Magdova
    - Ivan Radinov

Potential DLCs:
    - Baba Yaga
    - Ilja of Murova
    - Stepan Raisin

Unit wise, pick from that list whatever you want.

We also don’t know what else CA is cooking up right now so there are probably tons of other units to come.
    ArneSo said:

Unit wise, pick from that list whatever you want.

That list looks like it has some fan-made stuff in it.
    ArneSo said:

We also don’t know what else CA is cooking up right now

Yeah, exactly. Kislev can have a full-blown roster made by CA, but we don't know about it yet.
    edited July 2
    @ArneSo I have no problem with 4-6 LL Kislev but you should realize this is on the same level as Araby, Cathay, Ind, Nippon, playable Albion, Amazons, Moot....

Realistic expectation for Kislev is 2 LL pre-order size. It is not about number of LL. It is about money. Pre-orders are usually 10 bucks. There are only two options to get more LLs. 1) CA subsidized pre-order heavily 2) CA increase price of pre-order DLC...

If any of those two conditions happen, I then admit your might be right. Until such stuff happen, you are set for dissapointement.

EDIT: I can totally see FLC down the line or DLC but initially 2 LLs. Just look what stuff we got so far for WoC or Norsca...those two factions are clearly different level to BM/WE/TK/VC as those are nearly double as expensive..
    Daruwind said:

I have no problem with 4-6 LL Kislev but you should realize this is on the same level as Araby, Cathay, Ind, Nippon, playable Albion, Amazons, Moot....

That's also not the truth.