Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

10 reasons why Cathay WON'T be a core game 3 race.

I got nothing against Cathay being in the game, but the idea that it's going to be in the game at launch at the expense of the other races is ludicrous. Here is why Cathay probably won't be in at launch, if at all:

1. Access to the territory doesn't equal a guarantee

Even if Cathay's territrory is in the game, that's no guarantee they will be in the game. Kislev had it's territory in game 1 and 2 without being added in. Araby and Southern Realms are in the same boat. Why would it be different here?

2. Kislev fulfills the exact same role

Kislev does the exact same thing Cathay could do by adding in a human good guy race and is more flushed out, has an actually army and characters to work with and is way more popular among fans. The game 3 good guy race slot should go to them, not a small minor faction.

3. Cathay is even smaller than the Vampire Coast

People love to hype up how important Cathay is even though they do next to nothing in the lore and everything that does go down in their country goes down in the Empire in a more flushed out way. When the Vampire Pirates affect the world more than you, you probably don't matter that much.

4. Cathay has Titles, not Characters

The few Cathay characters we do know of are titles, not flushed out characters. They are generic terms ripped out of Chinese culture and mythology, not people. These are just references to actual chinese history.

5. We already have a good idea what the 4 core races are gonna be

Chaos is going to play a major role, so Daemons make perfect sense to add at launch. Chaos Dwarfs and Ogres live on the game 3 map so they're extremely likely, and Kislev is the main bastion against Chaos making them very fitting for a chaos themed game 3.

6. We have plenty of fun **** to work with

With Greater Daemons, Chaos machinery and weapons, Ogre monsters and Kislev Russian Zanyness, we have plenty cool to add to game 3 without homebrewing a race more or less from scratch. These are factions with actual fans and armies, so they should get priority.

7. Chinese Audiences don't care if China is represented.

I never got this arguement. What do you think Chinese people are so obsessed with their own culture they refuse to look at a game if they aren't represented. You don't need Chinese **** sucking to appeal to a chinese audience.

8. GW may not want to take the risk

If they put Araby on the chopping block because they were too scared of offending people, why would they give a green light to a race they flushed out even less. If Araby didn't make it, Cathay has less of a chance.

9. Demand does not guarantee inclusion

Again, look at Araby. If Demand guaranteed inclusion, we would have had them in the game.

10. Too much work for a race few people really care about.

Most people like the idea of Cathay, not Cathay itself. I know this because Cathay has no lore, army or characters to work with. Why spend so much time building an army from scratch when we have races people really care for that can be added in.

Cathay is not likely. Certainly not as a core race and likely not even DLC. Sorry, but I highly doubt this is going to be a thing

Comments

• lucibuislucibuis Registered Users Posts: 6,263
    Ok.
    Ariel only, no fads allowed.

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 23,628

I got nothing against Cathay being in the game, but the idea that it's going to be in the game at launch at the expense of the other races is ludicrous. Here is why Cathay probably won't be in at launch, if at all:

1. Access to the territory doesn't equal a guarantee

Even if Cathay's territrory is in the game, that's no guarantee they will be in the game. Kislev had it's territory in game 1 and 2 without being added in. Araby and Southern Realms are in the same boat. Why would it be different here?

2. Kislev fulfills the exact same role

Kislev does the exact same thing Cathay could do by adding in a human good guy race and is more flushed out, has an actually army and characters to work with and is way more popular among fans. The game 3 good guy race slot should go to them, not a small minor faction.

3. Cathay is even smaller than the Vampire Coast

People love to hype up how important Cathay is even though they do next to nothing in the lore and everything that does go down in their country goes down in the Empire in a more flushed out way. When the Vampire Pirates affect the world more than you, you probably don't matter that much.

4. Cathay has Titles, not Characters

The few Cathay characters we do know of are titles, not flushed out characters. They are generic terms ripped out of Chinese culture and mythology, not people. These are just references to actual chinese history.

5. We already have a good idea what the 4 core races are gonna be

Chaos is going to play a major role, so Daemons make perfect sense to add at launch. Chaos Dwarfs and Ogres live on the game 3 map so they're extremely likely, and Kislev is the main bastion against Chaos making them very fitting for a chaos themed game 3.

6. We have plenty of fun **** to work with

With Greater Daemons, Chaos machinery and weapons, Ogre monsters and Kislev Russian Zanyness, we have plenty cool to add to game 3 without homebrewing a race more or less from scratch. These are factions with actual fans and armies, so they should get priority.

7. Chinese Audiences don't care if China is represented.

I never got this arguement. What do you think Chinese people are so obsessed with their own culture they refuse to look at a game if they aren't represented. You don't need Chinese **** sucking to appeal to a chinese audience.

8. GW may not want to take the risk

If they put Araby on the chopping block because they were too scared of offending people, why would they give a green light to a race they flushed out even less. If Araby didn't make it, Cathay has less of a chance.

9. Demand does not guarantee inclusion

Again, look at Araby. If Demand guaranteed inclusion, we would have had them in the game.

10. Too much work for a race few people really care about.

Most people like the idea of Cathay, not Cathay itself. I know this because Cathay has no lore, army or characters to work with. Why spend so much time building an army from scratch when we have races people really care for that can be added in.

Cathay is not likely. Certainly not as a core race and likely not even DLC. Sorry, but I highly doubt this is going to be a thing

Source for number 8 please :)
    If you have an issue with how forum guidelines are applied the forum Administrator responsible is CA_Grace who can also be contacted by Reddit.
  • FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 4,221
    edited July 2020
    Wow, seriously, you felt the need to make your own thread on this?

Damn, had I known people would get so triggered by a post on why Cathay MAYBE has a chance, I would have abstained. There is only a single truth, and it is that we know jack **** until CA has announced it.

I can't predict the future, and neither can you. We've all been wrong before, and CA loves to throw curveballs. Norsca, Vampire Coast, playable Nakai, Snikch as a lord, Repanse brought back from the dead, etc. We'll see what happens then. Until then, chill out. It's just a game, for crying out lout.
  • AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,707
    Fossoway said:

Wow, seriously, you felt the need to make your own thread on this?

Damn, had I known people would get so triggered by a post on why Cathay MAYBE has a chance, I would have abstained. There is only a single truth, and it is that we know jack **** until CA has announced it.

I can't predict the future, and neither can you. We've all been wrong before, and CA loves to throw curveballs. Norsca, Vampire Coast, playable Nakai, Snikch as a lord, Repanse brought back from the dead, etc. We'll see what happens then. Until then, chill out. It's just a game, for crying out lout.

To be fair his thread was perfectly polite and reasonable.

At the same time I cant see Cathay coming at all. Amazons have more content. Halflings have more content. It's incredibly unlikely they will appear.
  • MooncakeMooncake Registered Users Posts: 607
    Rather poor logic throughout. Also not sure why you chose to post this a second time.
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 18,135
    It’s actually very simple. There are two scenarios:

- CA decides to add Cathay
    - CA decides to not add Cathay

Both scenarios can happen and we can only wait and see.
  • ZelnikZelnik Registered Users Posts: 493
    ArneSo said:

No, there is only ONE scenario

CA has already decided not to add Cathay.

It's not just that it's politically dangerous, CA's chinese masters would never allow their fantasy representations to be defeated by another faction (especially one that looks europian)

Zelnik said:

ArneSo said:

No, there is only ONE scenario

CA has already decided not to add Cathay.

It's not just that it's politically dangerous, CA's chinese masters would never allow their fantasy representations to be defeated by another faction (especially one that looks europian)

This is the kind of braindead, insipid post I would expect from the fine people of this forum.
  • IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 2,806
    edited July 2020
    I don't see the "I'm deep inside a bit anti-china" reason, list is not complete.

:|

Let Cathay come, submit and enjoy the majesty of the orient.
    *Justice and CONFEDERATION for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast!
    *Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo
    *Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!
    *Ogre Kingdoms core race or death!

• BonutzBonutz Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    Cool. I’ll still think they’re coming.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 9,933
    well there goes thread. well done lads
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

well there goes thread. well done lads

What else would you expect from a thread relating to China in a forum full of gamers? I can at least appreciate Zelnik's honesty, not trying to obscure his beliefs like many others do.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 21,059
    Thread closed.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
This discussion has been closed.