Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Games Workshop Annual Report-"Our goal is AAA video games."

xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Registered Users Posts: 485
This may be slightly off-topic but it is still worthy of news. GW has had another year of decent profit despite what 2020 has been. There is one part though that has caught my interest:

"Our goal is AAA video games. We have signed multiple licences and we continue to negotiate many more, we will update you once they are announced. At the time of writing, we have 73 licences and are signing new ones every 2-3 months."

https://investor.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/2019-20-Press-statement-1.pdf

This is good as TWW has been doing incredibly well and is an excellent test bed for further ideas. Hopefully this means many more years of content!

Comments

• Bonutz619Bonutz619 Registered Users Posts: 2,387
    This game is going strong and I don’t see it slowing down anytime soon. Wouldn’t doubt if we still get content for it 10 years from now.
  • ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 9,035
    Bonutz619 said:

This game is going strong and I don’t see it slowing down anytime soon. Wouldn’t doubt if we still get content for it 10 years from now.

That’s actually very likely. CA already said that they will pump out DLCs as long as we buy them. So 4-8 years of DLC support is definitely possible, especially if we consider how much stuff is still missing.

WH3 is where all the magic will happen. I‘m excited for the future of this trilogy.
  • xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Registered Users Posts: 485
    Bonutz619 said:

Same, there are years upon years worth of content for this series if CA and GW are willing to do it. I'm glad GW is finally taking video games seriously (I thought Dawn of War 1's success would have been the formulation for video game use).
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 25,107
    I want DoW4 so bad...or them resuming work on DoW3. They were on the right path to fix the game and the underlying meat and bones were solid...they just abandoned it before it could be given a chance. Look at what came from Rome2 which also started weakly.

I want DoW4 so bad...or them resuming work on DoW3. They were on the right path to fix the game and the underlying meat and bones were solid...they just abandoned it before it could be given a chance. Look at what came from Rome2 which also started weakly.

I personally would already be happy with a remastered version of DoW1 with all its addons. That game was truly perfect and is still very entertaining even if the graphics really suck nowadays...
  • neodeinosneodeinos Registered Users Posts: 5,683

I'm certain DoW 3 could've been fixed with enough updates, there was a lot of work to do obviously but they did some good changes. Sadly the game couldn't handle the hate. I understand the hate it received but some of the people spitting on this game were just people jumping on the hate wagon and nothing more which is why I think the hate of this game wasn't really fair.

Now to be on the topic it's about time we get AAA Warhammer games, the different licenses have such a huge potential to make excellent games. There is a f*ckton of Warhammer games but only a few of them are really good.
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 2,076

they just abandoned it before it could be given a chance

Every single balance patch for it was a disaster.
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,393
    Last new upcoming things that I saw around were

40k:Darktide
    and
    WHFB: Odyssey

Both I would not really consider AAA games, even if Darktide has at least potential to go there. But measured on how V1+2 did, that may take some years after release.

------Red Dox
    Red_Dox said:

Last new upcoming things that I saw around were

There is also an AoS RTS in development.

• SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,020
    Generally speaking I like the approach that GW took with the licencing of their IP's.

Sure it let too many bad games but also to alot of simply "good" games like "mordheim" or "blood bowl" or "Battlefleet gothic".

I mean if you look at the last 10 years, who had it better: the Warhammer/40k gamer or the Star Wars gamer?

It also increases the chances for a TW 40k trilogy...
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
    SiWI said:

I mean if you look at the last 10 years, who had it better: the Warhammer/40k gamer or the Star Wars gamer?

Definitely 40k. Why?
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 3,830
    Not surprising. It doesn't cost GW money for video games to be developed, even bad games will generate royalties.
    SerPus said:

If that's the standard, TWWH should have died long ago.

• Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 3,830

SerPus said:

I think the big issue with DoW 3 was it had an identity crisis. It wanted to be a strategy game but ended up as a MOBA and you can't be a MOBA in the gaming industry while League of Legends is around.

DoW never had a good balance, but DoW3 was a total mess. People used to win tournaments by spamming one unit.
    SerPus said:

SiWI said:

Definitely 40k. Why?
    not obvious? ;)
    edited July 28

SerPus said:

I think the big issue with DoW 3 was it had an identity crisis. It wanted to be a strategy game but ended up as a MOBA and you can't be a MOBA in the gaming industry while League of Legends is around.
    If playing like a MOBA is a reason for a game to die, TWWH should have died long ago because it plays like a MOBA too at best, at worst it's just a leisurly mappainting simulator.
    SerPus said:

DoW never had a good balance, but DoW3 was a total mess. People used to win tournaments by spamming one unit.
    If you think TWWH is any better, I'd like to remind just how restrictive TWWH tournies are, since CA hasn't bothered to really deal with the worst abuses.

Really, anything people throw at DoW3 I can throw at TWWH.

And Relic went away from the MOBA playstyle by adding annihilation. As I said, it died too early.

SerPus said:

If playing like a MOBA is a reason for a game to die, TWWH should have died long ago because it plays like a MOBA too at best, at worst it's just a leisurly mappainting simulator.

And Relic went away from the MOBA playstyle by adding annihilation. As I said, it died too early.
    you seem to have no idea what a moba is if you think TW plays like one.
    SiWI said:

SerPus said:

Endless streams of soldiers flowing from both directions into each other, while the whole game boils down to a tug of war on a single lane where single characters do most of the heavy lifting.

That's TWWH on VH/L since both sides spam endless armies, characters become stronger than anything else and there's no point other than to push from one end of the enemy empire to the next since the economy has long become irrelevant. It's not even a good MOBA but an amazingly shallow one to boot.

Sorry, but I know MOBAs when I see them.

• MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,841
    Personally I crave DoW4 with DoW2 gameplay (DoW3 is a filth and should be forgotten). Ah and I would like me Eternal Crusade but AAA. And and and an open world action rpg set during the Battle of Biel-Tan.

Whatever games come out, considering GW's latest statement, I do hope they won't go full Druckmann. Imagine a game full of Abbies... oh, no need to imagine it, in fact the latest SoB Codex is full of them. Miniatures' faces aren't much better. There is even Samuel L. Jackson looking 'sister'.

Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

SerPus said:

Still don't understand why people thought it was similar to a MOBA but ok. Yeah the "heroes" were strong but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a few updates.
    neodeinos said:

SerPus said:

Still don't understand why people thought it was similar to a MOBA but ok. Yeah the "heroes" were strong but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a few updates.
    Because it had all elements of a MOBA game and people didn’t like that. That’s the main reason why the game failed so hard.
    ArneSo said:

neodeinos said:

SerPus said:

Because it had all elements of a MOBA game and people didn’t like that. That’s the main reason why the game failed so hard.
    All elements of a MOBA ? I'm sorry but what ? I've played MOBAs for years and I still don't see how DoW 3 was so similar. Seems like something the haters would say without even playing the game to me.
    neodeinos said:

SerPus said:

The initial MP game mode in DoW3 funneled all action into a single lane, that you had to check in a strict sequence, that's where the MOBA comparisons come from.

If you think TWWH is any better

I do.
    ArneSo said:

Because it had all elements of a MOBA game and people didn’t like that.

The only moba element it had is 'the core' as the main objective.

SiWI said:

SerPus said:

Endless streams of soldiers flowing from both directions into each other, while the whole game boils down to a tug of war on a single lane where single characters do most of the heavy lifting.

That's TWWH on VH/L since both sides spam endless armies, characters become stronger than anything else and there's no point other than to push from one end of the enemy empire to the next since the economy has long become irrelevant. It's not even a good MOBA but an amazingly shallow one to boot.

Sorry, but I know MOBAs when I see them.
    yeah you don't.
    neodeinos said:

ArneSo said:

neodeinos said:

SerPus said:

All elements of a MOBA ? I'm sorry but what ? I've played MOBAs for years and I still don't see how DoW 3 was so similar. Seems like something the haters would say without even playing the game to me.
    I was absolutely hyped for the game and preordered it. After a few hours I quit because it was just a dumb MOBA game and nothing else
    ArneSo said:

neodeinos said:

ArneSo said:

neodeinos said:

SerPus said:

I was absolutely hyped for the game and preordered it. After a few hours I quit because it was just a dumb MOBA game and nothing else
    And you still can't elaborate on that. How is that just a MOBA exactly ?
  • xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Registered Users Posts: 485
    The problem with DOW 3 is a mixture of things. It attempted MOBA elements (not fully though) with a combination of DOW 1 and 2 (base building and hero focus) that did not fully integrate either of them to their full potential meaning that fans of 1 and 2 were not happy with the end result.

There are other little elements like no Last Stand, multiplayer only being only the Core Destroy mode, voice acting, etc. The big one (in my opinion) was the style and art of the game. It was far too cartooney with some characters looking vastly different compared to previous games. This seeped into every model and race within the game with units not looking correct or 'non-Warhammer. Spamming units in gameplay made battles lack impact and units worthless as if you could sacrifice them with no loss (who cares if I lose a squad of Space Marines, build more!).

TWW gets it correct with a grim and realistic style to the units. Now they feel like they have character, as if they are actual people that you're controlling (remember how intense fights were in DOW 1? This was not C&C with a few bullets and explosions. Units fought each other and really did fight with battle cries and sync kills!).