Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The FLC WE Lord is almost certainly going to be Drycha.

SelakahSelakah Registered Users Posts: 839
edited July 2020 in General Discussion
I see a lot of people speculating that Ariel will be the FLC Lord. Lost in all the hype is the fact that CA left a massive hint in the Dev Blog post about the identify of the FLC Lord. While nothing is 100% confirmed, the below paragraph from the Dev Blog post is as close as it gets to a confirmation:

CA just cannot control themselves when it comes to their puns. This paragraphs specifically places the gender of the LL as a singular Female, which narrows it down to Ariel, Drycha or Naieth the Prophetess. CA's use of the word trimmings, however, is very telling here. You can only get trimmings from a tree, which all but disqualifies Ariel and Naieth, leaving Drycha as the only candidate.

We know CA love their puns, and they have done this in the past (e.g. "Stop wandering around" for Wulfric, "It's rather Grim" for Volkmar).

The forum is currently rampant with speculation, and a LOT of people are already hyping themselves up expecting Ariel as the FLC Lord. I just want to bring this comment to everyone's attention, because this type of pun is as close as CA gets to trying to add guardrails to the hype train.

Comments

• ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 34,953
    It really isn’t. Ariel as a a second LL for Talsyn is way more likely.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • lucibuislucibuis Registered Users Posts: 7,134
    I agree
    Ariel only, no fads allowed.

• CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,927
    I'm rooting for Ariel for FLC.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
  • WhySoSaltyWhySoSalty Registered Users Posts: 1,213
    Drycha as a FLC would be a kick in the balls. a cheap and extremely lazy solution. she isnt even a damn LL in the TT. Ariel should be the FLC and the DLC the Twilight Sisters OR atleast Daith/Araloth (which would be already a shame because the majority obviously want the Sisters)
    My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperial, can you say the same?

• MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,255
    That would be pretty cheap. Drycha has a rather simple model. If CA want to bribe their playerbase into accepting DLC for DLC then they should use high budget addition to sweeten the deal.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 37,404
    Possibly. She's kinda lame, but there's nobody else that's easy and for WE.
    "It's no fun fighting people weaker than you." - The Beast

"There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - The descendant of Guanyin

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector,

• WhySoSaltyWhySoSalty Registered Users Posts: 1,213
    edited July 2020

thats the point. We dont want easy solutions if CA want the DLC for DLC concept to work as intended

CA is well aware what ppl want. Ariel and Sisters of Twilight are by far the most asked characters
    My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperial, can you say the same?

• SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 9,238

If CA want to bribe their playerbase into accepting DLC for DLC then they should use high budget addition to sweeten the deal.

Bribe? The fans would eat whatever CA throws at them. That FLC lord is there just to get some additional sales for the Realm of the Wood Elves.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,927
    I gotta agree in some ways. Drycha is easier to add, to some extent, but if I was to ask something of CA it would be Ariel and she is pretty much a perfect match for Orion in the original DLC.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.

That would be pretty cheap. Drycha has a rather simple model. If CA want to bribe their playerbase into accepting DLC for DLC then they should use high budget addition to sweeten the deal.

Exactly what I was thinking. This LP is a stretch and CA obviously isn’t sure if it will be successful. They need a good FLC to sweeten the deal and Ariel is the perfect choice.

She doesn’t require much work since she should just be a second LL for Talsyn.

Ariel is quite easy. As a second LL for Talsyn she doesn’t need a new start position or any fancy mechanics
  • petherpether Registered Users Posts: 176
    Honestly, I don't care what lords we get, since I am super hyped for the WE rework and I cannot wait to play with them as a WH2 race - with all the fun and love and unique mechanics they get.

I hope for the Sisters, but as long as new lords are fun to play with unique playstyle - they can even pick the simple model of Drycha. She is quite a character, could have totally different objectives and honestly I don't mind having her as a faction leader.
  • SelakahSelakah Registered Users Posts: 839
    edited July 2020
    All I'm saying is that CA literally made a pun about tree branches in the same sentence they talk about the FLC Lord.

You can argue all you want about which Lord is easier or harder to implement; that's not the point. The point is that CA punning about tree branches is as close to confirmation as we'll get until the reveal in late September/October.

The writing is on the wall (or in this case, on the Dev Blog). Hype yourself for something else at your own peril.
  • Artjuh90Artjuh90 Registered Users Posts: 1,697
    although don't think Drycha is intersting as LL i do agree with op. although it is weird cause Drycha hates elves and was a hero character on TT
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,255
    SerPus said:

If CA want to bribe their playerbase into accepting DLC for DLC then they should use high budget addition to sweeten the deal.

Bribe? The fans would eat whatever CA throws at them. That FLC lord is there just to get some additional sales for the Realm of the Wood Elves.
    I want to have a higher opinion about the fans. Let me dream.
  • BonutzBonutz Registered Users Posts: 5,541
    Unfortunately I have to agree. Definitely seems like they’re leaning more towards Drycha with that comment.

Although I would much rather have Ariel.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
  • cabans33cabans33 Registered Users Posts: 1,199
    It fits into ME map according to the Lore:

"In recent years, strange tales have come to Athel Loren, worrying rumours of Drycha’s activities. On the fringe of the great Drakwald Forest in the Empire, the peasants tell stories of the trees that come alive, hungry for blood. On the edge of the Forest of Arden in Bretonnia, villagers gather only deadwood for their purposes, citing tales of other settlements found ruined and torn, the inhabitants left as scraps of tattered meat by the vengeance of the trees. To many, these events seem as senseless as they are apparently random, but if they are indeed the work of Drycha and her handmaidens, there must surely be a greater goal behind them than mere slaughter — though what that goal is remains to be seen. Alas, even Naieth the Prophetess cannot see the destination for which Drycha strives, for the road leading there is hidden by blood and horror"
    I think having a "darker" WE character will add to the game and playstyle... Arielle would be just as Isabella... same campaign as Orion/Vlad, different face
  • ChristianSpartaChristianSparta Registered Users Posts: 221
    If you want, we can make Drycha a Hero with Durthu.

The Twilight Sisters and Ariel are more interesting.
  • RockNRolla92RockNRolla92 Registered Users Posts: 2,270
    Kabulk33 said:

I think having a "darker" WE character will add to the game and playstyle... Arielle would be just as Isabella... same campaign as Orion/Vlad, different face

Except she's literally the avatar of a god and an insane magic caster/scary moth lady ?

It's nothing like Vlad/Isabella
  • IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 5,632
    I like Drycha, she will have a cool model.
    *Justice, cats and CONFEDERATION ENABLED for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast! feat mummies and Apophas.
    *Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo
    *Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!
    *Ogre Kingdoms core race or death!
    *Bring back settlement conquering artworks!
    *Gnoblar Carpet for Greesus
    *Improve UI

• jgmasterjgmaster Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 613
    Reghis said:

thats the point. We dont want easy solutions if CA want the DLC for DLC concept to work as intended

CA is well aware what ppl want. Ariel and Sisters of Twilight are by far the most asked characters
    Remember Helman Ghorst and Tretch Craventail. I haven't met many people who wanted them so ... our opinion isn't important

I want it to be Sister for DLC and Ariel for FLC but the chances for that are very unlikely because of the pun in te blogpost.
    CA is going to take no risk and cheap out on the FLC with a reskined dryad for Drycha. I HOPE CA proves me wrong!

Kabulk33 said:

Except she's literally the avatar of a god and an insane magic caster/scary moth lady ?

It's nothing like Vlad/Isabella
    Arielle is not even in the 8th edition army book... while Drycha is...
  • lucibuislucibuis Registered Users Posts: 7,134
    Who’s Arielle? Ariel will be the DLC lord
    Ariel only, no fads allowed.

• EldrickEldrick Registered Users Posts: 746
    I’m backing the OP.
  • ChoraChora Registered Users Posts: 872
    Yeah, because there’s absolutely no way you could use a tree reference for a WOOD elves...

I don’t know who it is, just saying this feels like a huge reach
  • TimpeyoTimpeyo Registered Users Posts: 2,032
    Does sound like it, be interesting to see what she brings to the table. I do hope SoT are the main lord's. I'm also wondering if the added hero could be a LH prob being a bit wishful and it's Ariel, would work well if each lord could bring her to battle

Timpeyo said:

Does sound like it, be interesting to see what she brings to the table. I do hope SoT are the main lord's. I'm also wondering if the added hero could be a LH prob being a bit wishful and it's Ariel, would work well if each lord could bring her to battle

+1, I think that would be actually the best solution for not having a repetitive campaign with Orion, her as a hero like Croak for the Lizardmen/ The green Knight... Actually in the 4th ed army book she was an independent Character, not a general.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 7,351
    Certainly a chance but nothing certain.
  • psychoakpsychoak Registered Users Posts: 3,414
    OP's logic is terrible, even though I expect Drycha as well.

Ariel has sealed herself away inside the Oak of Ages, a tree.

Trimmings could instead refer to food, and come alongside bird dishes, owls being birds. :)