Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Warhammer might benefit from Troys mythical/auxillary unit system

sykallsykall Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 353
edited August 1 in General Discussion
After watching a few preview plays of Total War Troy, especially with Paris, I saw a simple, but intriguing feature.

In Troy you can recruit some mythical units by conquering special regions and then building special buildings within these settlements. You then have a certain number of the mythical units you can recruit into your armies, depending on the building level.

I think this feature, which is honestly very basic, is a great way to include smaller faction or special unit versions or mercenaries to the main game similar to mythical units in Troy.
Example: Instead of implementing Halflings as a full faction on their own, special buildings like the cauldron the empire can build in the moot already, can unlock a certain number of Halfling units the empire or other human/dwarfen factions might use.

Varying races types might have their own selection of buildings and thus units. And these buildings might add additional boni to your faction, showing that the minor faction is contributing to your overall empire.

E.g. Humans and dwarfs may recruit a capped number of halfling units in the moot. Additionally the Halfling buildings might add boni to public order and produce special trade goods, which the empire moot landmark already does.

The List for examples is endless.
Imperial dwarfs could be recruited by empire and dwarfen factions in special cities, e.g. Nuln.
Or order factions might get Amazon units from a special building in the culchan fields, if the province were to show up on the Mortal Empires Map.
Greenskins might get Fire Kobolds, Arabyian mercenaries might be open for almost anyone, Kurgan units may come for Norsca and Warriors of Chaos (if they were allowed to settle somewhere), etc. etc.

What do you think of such a feature? Not its plausibility but just whether you would like to see something like this in the game.
Post edited by sykall on

Comments

• ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 1,695
    Yes! One of my favorite campaign things are landmarks anyway. Anything to further differentiate regions is a +.
  • GloatingSwineGloatingSwine Registered Users Posts: 362
    If we didn't already have Regiments of Renown, this might be a way to implement Regiments of Renown.

But we do have RoR and quite a few factions also have other different special units for various things like State Troops and Blessed Spawnings and Workshop units and so on.

It's a good idea on its face, but it's too late for TWW.
  • Ingr8Ingr8 Registered Users Posts: 903
    Ummm that does sound a lot like the TK mechanics!
    Dreaming of mighty Lumbria

• sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 353
    edited August 1

If we didn't already have Regiments of Renown, this might be a way to implement Regiments of Renown.

But we do have RoR and quite a few factions also have other different special units for various things like State Troops and Blessed Spawnings and Workshop units and so on.

It's a good idea on its face, but it's too late for TWW.

I see your point. But this is not for the RoR but mostly for units and mercenaries of minor factions, that lack the substance or necissity to be represented as their own race. As such these units would not be better versions of existing units, but unique things.
    This way those factions can still contribute to the setting and give the player a more inclusive warhammer experience.
    Ingr8 said:

Ummm that does sound a lot like the TK mechanics!

You are right. Mechanicy they are similar. But that is were the similarities are supposed to end. The dreadsaurian building chain also has this cap.
    The units recruited that way should still have an upkeep cost and the buildings themselves should still provide boni beyond just unlocking the unit.
    Post edited by sykall on
  • DwarfSizedBeardDwarfSizedBeard Registered Users Posts: 123
    Could work to let subtraction DLCs add something to its parent race, just giving them one or 2 of the special units here and there could be neat
  • gildagriffongildagriffon Registered Users Posts: 419
    I completely support your idea op, but what For Empire would need halfling mercs? They are not elite infantry, i can imagine their pitiful stats...to make one of your army original and unique? Sure, but besides that, no use for them in emp army.
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 2,076
    WoC need some form of that

• GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 770
    Eh. If this feature existed earlier, we might not have gotten a Vampire Coast DLC as they could just cheap out in making them these auxillary units.

I vote no.
  • sykallsykall Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 353
    edited August 1

I completely support your idea op, but what For Empire would need halfling mercs? They are not elite infantry, i can imagine their pitiful stats...to make one of your army original and unique? Sure, but besides that, no use for them in emp army.

The halflings are just an example of course.

But as they are meant to be recruited not only by the empire, but by other factions as well, they could serve several armies.

If they were for example recruitable not only by the empire, but humans in general, than they could serve bretonnian armies as snipers and scouts.
    And as Halflings and Ogres share many similiarites and have a special relationship with each other, they might also serve Ogre armies, giving them extra ranged optiones.
    Additionally Halfling cook with cauldrons may grant nearby units certain buffs, akin to the corpse cart.
    But that are just my spontanious ideas.

Eh. If this feature existed earlier, we might not have gotten a Vampire Coast DLC as they could just cheap out in making them these auxillary units.

I vote no.

Of course I would also vote for a full faction, if the oppurtunity exists.
    Sadly CA will probably never include all factions of the fluff as a fully fledged race to play as. As such I think it is better for those factions, that did not make a cut, to have at least some presence in the game instead of none.

E.g. I for sure want to see Araby as a playable faction. But if they never make it in, then i want to see arabyian units recruitable as auxilaries at least.
    Post edited by sykall on
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Registered Users Posts: 5,762
    It's in Age of Wonders and Endless Legend/Space since forever. I'm pretty sure it was in Master of Magic too. It works fine.
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Registered Users Posts: 5,762

Actually, they are known to be quite good shots.
  • Bonutz619Bonutz619 Registered Users Posts: 2,387
    Dogs of War needs this mechanic.