Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Grimgor AI Campaign VERY Strong

Johlin94Johlin94 Registered Users Posts: 12
So, after playing the game quite a lot since the last DLC/Patch I feel like it is WAY to easy for Grimgor in particular to snow ball in particular as an AI. In almost every campaign I have played he confederate all the orcs very early then waaaaghs until the end of days throwing massive armies constantly at anyone unlucky enough to be in his way. So maybe some changes I think that would help bring this down a little bit would be

1) The Greenskins should only be able to confederate in one way not two. (the Norscan way) This would help contain Grimgor a bit from getting too powerful too soon

2) Campaign waaaaaaghs need some sort of check put on them. Either it should take a lot longer to get a waaaaagh, or fightiness should be re introduced as a way to keep the player moving to gain his waaaagggh points. (also whats with the AI getting lords in their waaaaghh armies? Even legendary lords sometimes?)

3) And finally as a side note to all of this, Grom should always start in Massif Oracal. As he has literally noooooooo chance starting on Ulthuan ever and seems sort of pointless to be there. Also letting Eltharion have his holdings in the badlands as well when he is an AI might help control Grimgor as well.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts based on what I personally have experienced so far. I hope this does get addressed though as some campaigns suffer quite badly because of this (Imrik, any Dawi, Snikch so on)

Comments

• innerpinnerp Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 982
    i only agree with 3, grimgor needs to be as strong as he is because he has enemies on all sides. mors and eshin are highly likely to dogpile him whilst he is dealing with the dwarfs, nerfing his AI would only lead to more happy skaven and dwarf partnerships :|
  • Nitros14Nitros14 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,033
    edited August 2020
    It's a real tough balance. If Grimgor wasn't very strong he'd get wiped out very fast.
  • y4g3ry4g3r Registered Users Posts: 504
    My issue isnt that Grimgor is strong, it's the fact he absorbs every other greenskin faction in what seems like 5 turns. Ive only ever seen wurrzag twice past turn 25, and he was leading one of grimgors armies. If the factions were independent or more significant it would be something, but every game is Grimgor with 40 settlements insanely quickly.
  • GioRoggiaGioRoggia Registered Users Posts: 77
    I tend to agree with you, but it's always either Grimgor with dozens upon dozens of settlements or it's Thogrim. Snikch and Queek have no chance unless you intervene.

I fear weakening him might only lead to Thogrim always snowballing everyone south of Drakenhof.

In my last two VH/VH playthroughs with Norsca and von Carsteins I made sure to intervene south as soon as I could, since either one of them will get massively strong very soon.

Grimgor is nearly unstoppable when he comes from the south with 60+ settlements while you have to stop him with a very limited number of armies due to supply lines.

And Thogrim... It's sooo much work taking him down. And he'll spawn endless waves of elite armies and send them right your way until you eliminate his very last settlement, wherever it is.

I feel the campaign would be much more enjoyable if either one of them didn't get so strong so fast.
  • mightygloinmightygloin Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 4,991
    Confederation train is an issue for Dwarfs and Empire too. Just before you wipe out a minor faction, its main faction sends a telegraph from an opposite corner of the world and instantly confederates from 27000 miles away. Rinse and repeat.
  • NinaranNinaran Registered Users Posts: 422
    I'm torn on the Waaagh cheats the AI gets. On one hand him basically always having a Call to Waaagh up to double his armies removes strategic decisions to time your declaration of war and first major offensive when his armies are weak (because they never are really), forcing you to Ambush / Lightning Strike / Skaven cheese the hell out him.
    Then again if he didn't get those cheats he'd just be destroyed by the Skaven factions around him. Either removing Stalking stance or just moving Skaven further back in the turn order so they can't get guaranteed ambush attacks quite as often would help.

The amount of Waaaghs he can pull in manual battles is absolute ridiculous though, easily getting 4-5 Waaaghs to every single one of yours, that needs toning down, it's ridiculous.
  • Ad4mGAd4mG Registered Users Posts: 476
    Johlin94 said:

So, after playing the game quite a lot since the last DLC/Patch I feel like it is WAY to easy for Grimgor in particular to snow ball in particular as an AI. In almost every campaign I have played he confederate all the orcs very early then waaaaghs until the end of days throwing massive armies constantly at anyone unlucky enough to be in his way. So maybe some changes I think that would help bring this down a little bit would be

that's how it should be

How it works:
    Exactly like the vassal option. Capture their last settlement and choose Force Confederation.

Force Confederation
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1489981722
  • BonJon18BonJon18 Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited August 2020
    MortalE:
    When every single time, he is Rank 1 by a longshot, there is something there. Either current AI cheats could be lessened since confederation is so easy now for him, or defeating enemy army in battle no longer confeds.

Or maybe they can ONLY confederate by killing/defeating enemy lord.?

Right now by turn 60 he's consistently at war with the World, and winning.
    At 90, it's all ogre. Quadrant IV is Green, Quad III is soon to be, and Quad I and II will be his, before or after Chaos.

I understand it was a problem with the Blue Tide before, but now the Green Tide is fo reel.

As far as 'surrounded by enemies'... Kind of. After he confeds half the tribes by turn 20, there isn't much enemy near.
    Mors, Lizzies and RiffRaff actually form a pretty good local balance, so south is fresh pickings too.
    Sniktch pounds Caledor for 20 turns (approx. T20-40), so no real western front to deal with.

So since the latest DLC always gets the 'love', maybe from the AI standpoint, the latest DLC races don't need all the cheats?