Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Wood Elf Occupation Change?

markusasmarkusas Registered Users Posts: 241
Hi all,
I have been thinkig about the Wood Elf occupation.

Most people seems to dislike that they can't occupy in other ways than their mini outposts and some special cities (like Marigliano) outside the Forest of Athel Loren.

But what about if they could occupy regions with forest (Artois for example) on the campaign map similar to Norscas port settlement limitation?
Maybe a 10-8 slots for major settlements and 6-4 or something for smaller settlements with forest in proximity?
Any thoughts? Maybe someone has some cool ideas?

Cheers
When game 3 comes out I want to travel the world from the east to west and invade the western shores of Naggaroth. Also expand Mortal Empires South and West to make Southlands, Lustria and Western Naggaroth great again!

Comments

• ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 32,667
    They should be a semi horde and only occupy WE settlements and Unique Capitals.

Outposts should work like Pirate Coves.
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • Cadia101Cadia101 Registered Users Posts: 1,400
    ArneSo said:

I totally agree, I would mind if even capital where no colonisable tho.
  • MiniaArMiniaAr Registered Users Posts: 1,685
    Agreed, I dont like outposts at all.

If they want to keep them, ideally there should be in most forest a potential for a wood elves settlements that you could upgrade to a city like Oreon camp or Laurelorn. But regular cities should fall under wood elves influence after being defeated.

Those forest slot could also be used for beastmen where they could establish headstones, remain hidden, replenish faster and grow their brayherd (they should be reworked like waaghs). Or for forest goblins to establish shrines to their spider goddess.

Basically establish a 3 way war for control of the forests, which I think would be both fun gameplay wise and fitting thematically. Those factions are not really into empire building.
  • markusasmarkusas Registered Users Posts: 241
    ArneSo said:

Kind of like it but I would prefer the unique capitals to be replaced by cities with nearby forests to make forestregions special to Wood elfs.
    When game 3 comes out I want to travel the world from the east to west and invade the western shores of Naggaroth. Also expand Mortal Empires South and West to make Southlands, Lustria and Western Naggaroth great again!
  • Lord_DistamorfinLord_Distamorfin Registered Users Posts: 1,331
    They should only be able to occupy certain magical forests like Laurelorn and the Heart of the Jungle. They should lose the outposts altogether and certainly not get an undercity/pirate cove mechanic.
    Make them a tall faction that can teleport to far off places. They should be raiding and razing their enemies, not occupying land.

They should only be able to occupy certain magical forests like Laurelorn and the Heart of the Jungle. They should lose the outposts altogether and certainly not get an undercity/pirate cove mechanic.
    Make them a tall faction that can teleport to far off places. They should be raiding and razing their enemies, not occupying land.

Well that’s what WE outposts are. Secret and hidden lookouts in a tree. Representing them as something like Pirate Coves would be perfect and offer fun gameplay possibilities.

Everyone who played Noctilus knows how fun such a campaign can be.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,872
    WE option is better than that ridiculous Norsca option, wherein you have to suffer instant colonisation and you can't do anything about it. It would be even worse for WE since Norsca at least has corruption which, when high enough, does actually disincentivize the AI from colonizing so quickly.
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 8,380
    markusas said:

I don't know how cool does it looks, but their settlements can be tied to the Worldroots.

Instead of just upgrading the Oak the player might take care of the pre-determent net where each node is a city. The stronger the particular 'brach' becomes the bigger cities on it can grow and the more 'side braches' can it have.
  • Lord_DistamorfinLord_Distamorfin Registered Users Posts: 1,331
    ArneSo said:

Well that’s what WE outposts are. Secret and hidden lookouts in a tree. Representing them as something like Pirate Coves would be perfect and offer fun gameplay possibilities.

Except that's not what the Wood Elves do. They don't operate hidden outposts in or around cities, they mostly stay inside the forests or at their very edge to keep an eye out. Wood Elves aren't a subversive race, they don't spy on people or establish hideouts in others' territory like the Skaven, Vampires, or Chaos cults do.

The map of the Worldroots posted above is the perfect example of how the Wood Elves should operate. They should have their territory in Athel Loren and use the Worldroots to teleport away to attack their enemies, with the range they can go be directly related to what level the Oak is.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,316
    Make WE able to revitalise the Worldroots and unleash the forest. Terraforming of the highest order!
  • SaurianDruidSaurianDruid Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    I also want the wood elves to be able to play tall. Giving them more options to settle outside Athel Loren kind of defeats the point of playing tall. Athel Loren should be the only location in the world the wood elves truly care about in any meaningful capacity.

To make playing tall fun they just need a mechanic to encourage them to still wage wars. Amber does this, but it doesn't do it well as it forces you to either defend your taken land or try to out-expand your opponent by being hyper aggressive. It also leaves you at the mercy of your non-wood elf allies as breaking an alliance will economically destroy you.

Simple solution: Make amber a finite resource contained in each province. You get the amber once you take a province once, after which point you no longer care what happens to said province. But amber won't replenish, so you need to keep ranging far afield to get more amber to build up the Oak of Ages, turning Athel Loren into an economic power house.

Amber gained through diplomacy would also be a trickle you get per turn the longer the alliance lasts, so you want to play at being a good ally for as long as you can to collect their delicious amber. Then, once you have it, you can either make your ally into a meat shield for Athel Loren or abandon them to the wolves. You got what you needed.

World-roots would make such a campaign a lot more fun as you could use them to transport your armies further off without worrying about travel time to and from Athel Loren. Outposts could actually function like outposts and just be a small garrison to hold a territory so your armies can replenish when on the offensive. Once you no longer need to be in that area the outpost loses its strategic value and can be abandoned.

This would make the wood elves behave like the capricious fey creatures they are. Declaring war and making peace at the drop of a hat. Not really interested in eradicating anyone but very interested in waging wars of aggression regardless. All while seeing all holdings outside Athel Loren as expendable.

ArneSo said:

Except that's not what the Wood Elves do. They don't operate hidden outposts in or around cities, they mostly stay inside the forests or at their very edge to keep an eye out. Wood Elves aren't a subversive race, they don't spy on people or establish hideouts in others' territory like the Skaven, Vampires, or Chaos cults do.

The map of the Worldroots posted above is the perfect example of how the Wood Elves should operate. They should have their territory in Athel Loren and use the Worldroots to teleport away to attack their enemies, with the range they can go be directly related to what level the Oak is.
    That’s exactly what they do. They don’t paint the map, they travel the world to hunt their enemies.

Having secret outposts makes sense.

The Vampire Coast is how all hordes should be implemented so CA should use the same concept for the WE.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 11,653
    A change of occupation eh? Farmer Elfs coming up!

I think the current system works just fine and I like the many slotted settlements they have now which should be tuned down if they are going to get more and bigger settlements. So what if you have to circle round to mop up increasingly weaker settlements and their more and more pitiful masters?

But that said one just a few more but lower building slot settlements scattered across the Mortal Empires map wouldn't hurt the campaign experience.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 15,316
    SerPus said:

markusas said:

I don't know how cool does it looks, but their settlements can be tied to the Worldroots.

Instead of just upgrading the Oak the player might take care of the pre-determent net where each node is a city. The stronger the particular 'brach' becomes the bigger cities on it can grow and the more 'side braches' can it have.
    This idea I adore.
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Registered Users Posts: 4,771
    My personal suspicion is whoever the new WE DLC lord is, they'll have very unique mechanics separate from the rest of the Wood Elf race.

It'll be similar to the Markus Wulfhart situation. When that DLC came out he got his unique Emperor's Mandate and Imperial Supply mechanics, while all the other Empire factions were given the Elector Counts mechanic in the FLC update that came out simultaneously.

So most of the Wood Elves, including the new bonus FLC lord, will probably all have some re-worked mechanic that still centers on Athel Loren and the Oak of Ages. Meanwhile the DLC lord will have some entirely new mechanic that ties into whatever their campaign narrative is.