Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

WD article: The Imperial School of Engineers

Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 3,566
edited August 20 in General Discussion
While I flip currently through a bunch of WDs in search of some stuff, I often see some articles that might be interesting for, lets face it, a great lot of WHFB newbies who never were into the hobby or just not around when the WDs were released.
Thought about a generic topic were I just dumb some articles when I stumble over them for convenience sake, but the forum mechanic with like 5 daily troll topics will swiftly push that topic out of the eye and then the few people who would have subscribed it would be the last around to see what might be new if posted. Which imo would mess up the point of rather making it available and visible for "all" ;) A pinned topic for something like that would work, but I assume since only the newest CA stuff is pinned the general forum rule is not to advocate a "spam topic" where people would dumb the latest stuff until we reach the comment limit.

Anyway, I think this specific piece might still be interesting enough to warrant an own topic. Plenty of Empire fans all around.

Source: White Dwarf (UK) 296 [6th edition]

Also noteworthy: Imperial Steam Tanks
https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/271553/wd-article-the-imperial-steam-tank

------Red Dox
Post edited by Red_Dox on

Comments

• FungusHoundFungusHound Registered Users Posts: 3,245
    I'd buy a Engineering Lord Pack for the Empire. Hell, it could be a cool match up against a Chaos Dwarf Engineering pack.... though normal Dwarfs would also be good in the same theme against CD and I prefer Dwarfs.

But still
  • WaaaghCheifWaaaghCheif Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,324
    Why in Sigmars name we didn't get a Engineer Hero instead of the Huntsman General for the Empire v Lizardmen lord pack is beyond me.

Why in Sigmars name we didn't get a Engineer Hero instead of the Huntsman General for the Empire v Lizardmen lord pack is beyond me.

Because Mechanical steed would be too much work I guess
  • KN_GarsKN_Gars Registered Users Posts: 252

Probably because CA's plans for the Empire so far seem to be very much focused on the 'Reikland Gang' of Karl Franz and his supporters & subordinates, Wulfhart may not be a Reiklander by birth but he is a direct subordinate of KF as Huntsmarshal. CA does seem to have misjudged the interest in playing other Empire characters which is why Toddy was never made into a FLC lord during WH1, instead the Empire was given additional wizards. Will be interesting to see if this mistake is corrected during WH3.
  • LordSolarMachLordSolarMach Registered Users Posts: 324
    There's the Pidgeon Bombs FungusHound pointed out as being mentioned in the 8th edition rulebook.

//

Are you flipping through physical issue, or did you find a good online source? I probably have a hundred issues sitting in a bin in the crawlspace. Part of me wants to drag them out, but I know it'd be a waste of time... (I still might.)
  • eomateomat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,587

Because Mechanical steed would be too much work I guess
    I would take a Engineer Hero on a standard Barded steed. Never liked that mechanical steed. Love a Engineer though. Really hope they get added. I hope CA move away from LL and LL-lite Lord Packs and start diversifying it.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 8,130
    Add in Engineers and the Tamurkhan stuff with Castellan himself and you have yourself a Lord Pack.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• kasunrathnatungakasunrathnatunga Registered Users Posts: 6,387
    no to mechanical steads, you can't really make them with modern technology, sure as hell can't make them with steam punk technology. but i like other stuff
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia
  • xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Registered Users Posts: 635
    Definitely possible for an Empire Lord pack. I could see Castellan-Engineer Jubal Falk as LL, Master Engineer as Lord, Engineer as Hero and some other random units like Nuln Ironsides and Hochland Long Rifles (could be more stuff out there or take from the article-no to Land Ship though, keep for Dogs of War/Southern Realms).

I personally think the Empire will get the Knightly Orders or Middleheim/Cult of Ulric before this but definitely something to take into regard.
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,566
    edited August 19

Are you flipping through physical issue, or did you find a good online source? I probably have a hundred issues sitting in a bin in the crawlspace. Part of me wants to drag them out, but I know it'd be a waste of time... (I still might.)

Bit of column A bit of column B. I have a rather large collection of german WDs starting from issue 2. I also have a bunch of english ones that I could buy cheap, or from the time when I switched to a US abonnement for some time.
    That was around 3rd or 4th edition 40k I think. The german issues were just kinda weak from the content, while the US issues had nearly the pages and more interesting "US content" articles for the same price. So I just picked up the english WDs in the local store. Up until some day GW Germany proably decided that this os bad for "their business" and the store only could offer the german issues again *sigh*.

Empire has enough stuff lying around for probably 2-3 DLCs, without even counting FLC extra LLs. It just depend what CA has in mind for them, and how long the DLC train will driving after TWW#3 is released.

Form what we know, we can expect Boris Todbringer to become a full fleshed LL in the game#3 future. Imo that should go hand in hand with the "SoC" Middenheim list,

but of course can also just a FLC treatment.

Eyeballing the "engineering" parts, we could probably also puzzle a DLC together.
    • Hero: Master Engineer

• Powder Keg monkeys

• Marienburg Landhship

• Steam Tank variants

Meh, when I am already at it could put the Steam Tank pages in the OP.

Pretty sure could be some other things be found. Or we just add other stuff. More Knightly Orders, the Hurricanum, Halflings or whatever ;) While I want to build up a missing unit list for Empire one of these days, I always delay it because I know it will be a **** ton of work. One of these days...

-----Red Dox

no to mechanical steads, you can't really make them with modern technology, sure as hell can't make them with steam punk technology. but i like other stuff

It's Warhammer. Rule of cool outweighs "Can these feasibly work" and "The Laws of physics"

It's Warhammer. Rule of cool outweighs "Can these feasibly work" and "The Laws of physics"
    nope this stupid they can't mass produce steam tanks but can make these, its badly written lore.

nope this stupid they can't mass produce steam tanks but can make these, its badly written lore.
    Welcome to Warhammer, you must be new here.

not that new, but whats stupid is stupid. this bad as giving dragons to dawi.

but do you really need it for engineer pack?
  • KeffKeff Registered Users Posts: 23
    Unlikely but hopefully.

Where can you download old WDs? I have all but badly scanned
  • TsiarTsiar Registered Users Posts: 383
    God nuGWs art is so ****ing **** compared to the old stuff.
  • TsiarTsiar Registered Users Posts: 383
    And keep 8th edition trash like mech steeds out of the game.
  • Ares354Ares354 Registered Users Posts: 3,466

Its not as stupid as Young Bertonnias idiots selling their souls to Elven Witch Goddes.

Probably because CA's plans for the Empire so far seem to be very much focused on the 'Reikland Gang' of Karl Franz and his supporters & subordinates, Wulfhart may not be a Reiklander by birth but he is a direct subordinate of KF as Huntsmarshal. CA does seem to have misjudged the interest in playing other Empire characters which is why Toddy was never made into a FLC lord during WH1, instead the Empire was given additional wizards. Will be interesting to see if this mistake is corrected during WH3.
    Wont even happen. I will laugh so hard is WE will have more LL after their LP or even same number, which is case btw. Empire as poster boy faction is biggest joke or fail ever
    Ares354 said:

Its not as stupid as Young Bertonnias idiots selling their souls to Elven Witch Goddes.
    There is nothing wrong with following a goddess who actually actively support you against chaos.

Unlike sigmar who is pathetic couldn't prevent archeon falling ti chaos . Or powerless like ulric
  • CormacSVKCormacSVK Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 76
    I would welcome a large Imperial race pack in TWW3.
    With Nuln units and Middenland units and all the other interesting units from Empire, like knights of morr on foot, knights panther,knights encarmine, steam tank variants,all of it..
  • YannirYannir Registered Users Posts: 506
    Thank for the interesting topic, Red Dox.

In regards to TWWH, it would be cool to see a Engineering themed DLC that includes Engineer Teams with Harquebusses, etc.

Could even be an Empire vs Dawi DLC with each side NOT in direct opposition but in a friendly contest and rivalry to see whose engineering works better in the field of battle.
  • Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,294

More likely since the Lizardmen got the focus.
    Besides we're never getting a Engineer Hero,,, A lord however I see them being promoted to.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,566
    edited August 20
    FYI: I will take out the Steam Tank pages shortly, since I make it rather into a seperate topic. You will understand once that goes live. So everyone who will join here after I streamlined it back again to what it started with, don't worry you will get your chance to see the Steam Tank stuff still ;)

Steam tank topic: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/271553/wd-article-the-imperial-steam-tank

-----Red Dox
    Post edited by Red_Dox on
  • RheingoldRheingold Registered Users Posts: 495
    My only issue with an engineer dlc is that the empire's ranged units are strong already. Essentially they are balanced without engineer and tech buffs.
    Buffing their ranged is going to make them an absolute nightmare in sp. I am already so over the unending hellstorm rockets doomstacks. Adding engineer hero's is going to break them beyond repair. I realize it isn't the best argument for not having them, but it is the reality in campaign at the moment. And I don't see it changing. Also buffing empire ranged is going to destroy any hope of some factions like VC competing.
  • YannirYannir Registered Users Posts: 506
    Rheingold said:

My only issue with an engineer dlc is that the empire's ranged units are strong already. Essentially they are balanced without engineer and tech buffs.
    Buffing their ranged is going to make them an absolute nightmare in sp. I am already so over the unending hellstorm rockets doomstacks. Adding engineer hero's is going to break them beyond repair. I realize it isn't the best argument for not having them, but it is the reality in campaign at the moment. And I don't see it changing. Also buffing empire ranged is going to destroy any hope of some factions like VC competing.

It could be done together with the much needed range nerf to Helstorm Rocket Batteries. Those things should not have more range than Cannons do, and it needs fixing.
  • RheingoldRheingold Registered Users Posts: 495
    Sure, that would be sensible, but it doesn't seem to be CA's approach to dlc's. Ideally any dlc would come with some internal faction balancing, but that is not really happening.

Ares354 said:

There is nothing wrong with following a goddess who actually actively support you against chaos.

Unlike sigmar who is pathetic couldn't prevent archeon falling ti chaos . Or powerless like ulric
    Goddess who hide her true identity >? They become her zombie fallowers for power, which is like selling soul to Chaos Gods, for power. Its same thing.

What your Elven Goddess did to stop Archeon and Chaos power ? Empire faught even when end was apon them, what she was doing ?

What every Elven, backstabbing world.
    Rheingold said:

Its not like VC can spam elites in SP, and you have no problem with it. Even War Wagon dont get cool buff from any Lord in game, even tech tree buff are weak.

Compere how can Grom buff Goblins to Chosen level, try that with Empire War Wagons or even ST joke.

Empire is poster boy faction, its silly, its charade. 4 LL after 2 paid dlc, poster boy. Wulfhart buff only Archers and Huntmen, not single buff to War Wagons. Hunter and Beast.
    Ares354 said:

Ares354 said:

Goddess who hide her true identity >? They become her zombie fallowers for power, which is like selling soul to Chaos Gods, for power. Its same thing.

What your Elven Goddess did to stop Archeon and Chaos power ? Empire faught even when end was apon them, what she was doing ?

What every Elven, backstabbing world.
    she is beautiful and pure before that all arugments is null and void. and lets face it Giles le breton> Sigmar