Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

WD article: The Imperial Steam Tank

Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 3,566
edited September 26 in General Discussion
It all began with just wanting to share the Imperial Engineer article.
Somehow I ended up adding the Steam Tank first part. And then I stumbled about the other Steam Tank pages. And I kinda did not want to add more in the first topic, since now it would rather have been more about Steam Tanks instead of the initial Engineer stuff ;) So here we are with a seperate topic just for the Steam Tanks.

Source: White Dwarf (UK) 262 [6th edition]

Source: White Dwarf (UK) 263 [6th edition]

Source: White Dwarf (UK) 264 [6th edition]

History lesson:
4th edition Steam Tank (WD#151) as part of that times armybook.

Grudgebringer fans might remember

In 6th edition he was not even in the armybook. So when GW made a new metal model,

they sparked the above WD articles and set up the full rules of the new tank in WD as well.

In 7th edition (WD#354) the Empire got a new plastic Steam Tank which carried over to 8th edition

Noteworthy:
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning concept art for a new Arch Lector vehicle?

Supposedly salvaged and repaired Steam Tank in service of The Moot [WD#314 (UK)]

Supposedly salvaged and repaired Steam tank in service of Clan Skyre [WD#245 (AUS)]

-----Red Dox
Post edited by Red_Dox on

Comments

• xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Registered Users Posts: 635
    Another post is added to my collection! I remember crushing the Dread King with the Steam Tank during Dark Omen.

If we had an Engineer pack (against Chaos Dwarfs as they're appropriate). Castellan-Engineer Jubal Falk (LL), Master Engineer (Lord), Engineer (Hero), Nuln Ironsides, Hochland Long Rifles and Steam Tank variants (latter maybe as campaign exclusive). Anything else?

No to Land Ship though as I would prefer to keep that for Dogs of War/Southern Realms.
  • Qwerty55Qwerty55 Registered Users Posts: 493
    Damn, I love Warhammer Fantasy lore.

Also Ludenhof fighting in Albion with a Steam Tank? Lol, and people whinge that WHF factions can't fight all of each other in lore due to geographical boundaries...
  • StephinceStephince Registered Users Posts: 2,736
    I love the Grudgebringer reference. I remember it well.
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,566
    edited August 20
    And while we are at it...

Source: Warhammer Monthly#63
    That issue changed the universe for all protagonists. So instead of Malus, they made a short story about Malice Darkblade, female Dark Eldar. And the 40k Titan crew got a shorty as Steam Tank drivers here. So while maybe not canon, still Steam Tank ;)

------Red Dox
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 9,473
    edited August 20
    For the Empire!

(Great post OP)
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    Thanks Red Dox.

Some fun stuff here.
    Make Hobgoblins Great Again!
  • LordSolarMachLordSolarMach Registered Users Posts: 324
    edited August 20

Another post is added to my collection! I remember crushing the Dread King with the Steam Tank during Dark Omen.

If we had an Engineer pack (against Chaos Dwarfs as they're appropriate). Castellan-Engineer Jubal Falk (LL), Master Engineer (Lord), Engineer (Hero), Nuln Ironsides, Hochland Long Rifles and Steam Tank variants (latter maybe as campaign exclusive). Anything else?

No to Land Ship though as I would prefer to keep that for Dogs of War/Southern Realms.

4th Edition* had "Nulner Landsknechtes" which were described as a pike unit, but that seemed to be using pike interchangeably with spear. Still, a heavily armoured polearm unit maybe?

Also: Nuln was the city where the Cult of Sigmar was founded, and is home to the first Temple of Sigmar. (According to WFRP.) So bits of Sigmar-y stuff, while not strictly fitting an engineering pack, aren't entirely off-brand for Nuln. Maybe Sisters of Sigmar from Mordheim/Blood on the Reik?

*Edit: I mis-remembered. It wasn't 4th edition. They were in a 2nd edition book.

Edit the second: Frustratingly, I can't find the exact source. It might have been 3rd edition.

Edit the third: Got 'em:

Page 162 of 3rd Edtition's Warhammer Armies book, in the section for Old Worlder Mercenary Contingent. In between Empire "Freiforstjaeger" and "Kislevite Druzhina".
    Post edited by LordSolarMach on
  • PandabaronPandabaron Registered Users Posts: 152
    Is it bad that what I’ve really taken away from Red_Dox’s extensive effort and Research into the steam tank, is the mental image of the empire attempting to train griffons to wield hammers like in the 24th image?

‘No no, lift the hammer, lift it, LOOK, I know you don’t have thumbs..’

‘BWWARK?!’
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,566
    edited August 21

Is it bad that what I’ve really taken away from Red_Dox’s extensive effort and Research into the steam tank, is the mental image of the empire attempting to train griffons to wield hammers like in the 24th image?

‘No no, lift the hammer, lift it, LOOK, I know you don’t have thumbs..’

‘BWWARK?!’

Sigmar wills it.

------Red Dox
    Post edited by Red_Dox on

4th Edition* had "Nulner Landsknechtes" which were described as a pike unit, but that seemed to be using pike interchangeably with spear. Still, a heavily armoured polearm unit maybe?

Also: Nuln was the city where the Cult of Sigmar was founded, and is home to the first Temple of Sigmar. (According to WFRP.) So bits of Sigmar-y stuff, while not strictly fitting an engineering pack, aren't entirely off-brand for Nuln. Maybe Sisters of Sigmar from Mordheim/Blood on the Reik?

*Edit: I mis-remembered. It wasn't 4th edition. They were in a 2nd edition book.

Edit the second: Frustratingly, I can't find the exact source. It might have been 3rd edition.

Edit the third: Got 'em:

Page 162 of 3rd Edtition's Warhammer Armies book, in the section for Old Worlder Mercenary Contingent. In between Empire "Freiforstjaeger" and "Kislevite Druzhina".
    That's decent, nice find. Could make these guys unique by making them a full pikeman unit. If your battle line is mostly guns, you'll want people who can keep the enemy out of reach so the guns and other technology can keep shooting them.
  • RomeoRejectRomeoReject Registered Users Posts: 1,168
    There's a mod that adds literally everything here for you (The various Steam tank variants and the Skaven Tank).

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1206010657
  • LordSolarMachLordSolarMach Registered Users Posts: 324

That's decent, nice find. Could make these guys unique by making them a full pikeman unit. If your battle line is mostly guns, you'll want people who can keep the enemy out of reach so the guns and other technology can keep shooting them.

Yeah. My only worry is that it steps on the toes of the Dogs of War.

But if they don't come, then I think these guys would be a nice addition to the Empire.
  • DwarfSizedBeardDwarfSizedBeard Registered Users Posts: 936

But if they don't come, then I think these guys would be a nice addition to the Empire.
    pikemen would just take away from spearman and halberds, ultimately they don't offer anything those 2 units don't

It could, a fair point. I think we'll get Dogs of War/Southern Realms first anyhow and such an unit for Nuln could be made campaign-exclusive.
  • MarkerMarker Registered Users Posts: 1,358
    Id love me some Steam tank Variants like the War wagons ( which btw need someone on a horse in melee animation )
  • dvernichondvernichon Registered Users Posts: 55
    edited August 22
    Did CA keep the 8 Steam Tanks cap from this lore (never played Empire)?
    I never faced more than 5 in one battle.
  • DwarfSizedBeardDwarfSizedBeard Registered Users Posts: 936

Did CA keep the 8 Steam Tanks cap from this lore (never played Empire)?
    I never faced more than 5 in one battle.

you can make a full 19 stack of steam tanks in a single army
  • MasterSayo01MasterSayo01 Registered Users Posts: 227
    edited August 24
    The Steam Tanks of the Empire Reikland is my favorite too. ;)

The army of Balthasar Gelt has the Steam Tank "Emperor's Wrath" in Warhammer 2 (see the pictures 1 - 3)! :*
    And this is the beginning with the Steam Tanks for the Empire Reikland. ;)

Picture 1.

Picture 2.

Picture 3.

In Warhammer (1) I have a cavalry army with 3 Steam Tanks (see the picture). :D
    That was "lightning war (blitz krieg)" in Warhammer (1)! ;)

Steam tanks in Warhammer (1).

Post edited by MasterSayo01 on
  • Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,294
    Needs to come with a Witch Hunter in a Steam Tank
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?