Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Knowing about the exploit I can no longer enjoy the game.

dorianbaroquedorianbaroque Registered Users Posts: 53
edited August 2020 in Total War General Chat
First of all, i apologize for any mistakes, english is not my first language.

I am writing for the first time in this forum, asking AC what they intend to do with the backspace exploit.
It's clearly a bug and any other company would move to fix it, but this exploit has been in the game for years and shows up in several other titles.
So what is CA's position? they will correct it? will they leave him there?
The reason I am asking these questions is very simple: knowing about the exploit I can no longer enjoy the game.
Today, when I opened TWW2 to continue Wulfhart's campaign, I kept telling myself: who cares ... just don't use it.
But the truth is: the game never felt the same to me.
For example, it's as if they added the choice of difficulty in Dark Souls.
Many fans would say: just choose the maximum difficulty, and the game will be the same. But it's not true. the game will be different, because that particular element, which can be easily avoided, simply changes its nature.

Lizardmen are about to attack your settlement, backspace them and you will have plenty of time to defeat them.
Tyrion and what little army he has left keeps eluding you? backspace and all your problems are gone.

I repeat: I am not asking for immediate action, I would just like to know CA's position on the exploit.
The day they invent the "you win" button will be the day gaming dies.
For total war, that day could be today.
Too dramatic? maybe, but this exploit, as well as this game, are particularly close to my heart.
Post edited by dge1 on

Comments

• TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 10,795

By pressing backspace during their movement ends the ais turn.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CanuoveaCanuovea Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 15,073
    edited August 2020
    I saw this. It is hilarious.

We are truly greater than the Chaos Gods. All we need is the press of a button.
    -Forum Terms and Conditions: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    -New Rules: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287645/new-forum-rules#latest
    -Rules FAQ: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/287650/total-war-forum-faq#latest
    -Using all caps is the equivalent of shouting. Please don't.
    -5.7 Summon a moderator if someone seems to be out of line, or use the report button. Do NOT become another party to misbehaviour
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 5,156
    It´s intended, just a tad more powerful than Snikch´s one button win, no biggie xD

"Yum Yum"
  • FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 4,278
    It's insane that this trick is present in not just Warhammer, but also Troy and maybe Three Kingdoms...
  • Theo91Theo91 Registered Users Posts: 2,133
    It’s an interesting video and pretty ridiculous it made it into the game but also it’s not really a big deal

Who would actually use it? I mean does legend get the irony that he plays on legendary difficulty and exploits every unintended cheese to make the game into easy mode
  • AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,002
    edited August 2020
    Theo91 said:

It’s an interesting video and pretty ridiculous it made it into the game but also it’s not really a big deal

Who would actually use it? I mean does legend get the irony that he plays on legendary difficulty and exploits every unintended cheese to make the game into easy mode

I must admit I have always wondered his appeal... it's a SP game. There is nothing to be achieved from using these exploits other then ruining your own fun?

Oh well at least he does find things CA should fix.
    edited August 2020
    Reeks said:

It´s intended, just a tad more powerful than Snikch´s one button win, no biggie xD

Lol yeah

Delete faction console command is up there.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • manpersalmanpersal Registered Users Posts: 1,761

Theo91 said:

I must admit I have always wondered his appeal... it's a SP game. There is nothing to be achieved from using these exploits other then ruining your own fun?

I guess it's an ego thing, a lot of people want to win on legendary for self accomplishment and don't care about cheesing or even cheating.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 10,421
    Ah, no, man, why remove it, it's not like we already don't have console commands turned into faction mechanics. Just don't use it.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,002
    edited August 2020
    manpersal said:

Theo91 said:

I guess it's an ego thing, a lot of people want to win on legendary for self accomplishment and don't care about cheesing or even cheating.
    Which is why I don't understand. A completely valueless achievement which is soon to be replaced in game 3 anyway which can be achieved by modding the game to remove all challenge. The challenge is what makes the game fun - so taking away more and more of that challenge continues to baffle me.
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 5,156
    Luckily fun is subjective and if Legendoftotalwar finds it so playing the way he does all the power to him.

"Yum Yum"
    edited August 2020
    If i had to chose between fixing this and afk ai in sieges id fix:

Afk ai in sieges

If i had to chose between this and ai not wasting its ammo on whatever is closest rather than decent targets id fix:

Ai firing on half decent targets

But im not a man that ever was satisfied with half a steak. I get it all.
  • RheingoldRheingold Registered Users Posts: 810
    Honestly see no point in removing it. If people want to use it let them. Personally not sure what the point of playing the game is with the exploit but it really is a case of either ignoring it or using it depending on your preferences.
  • AkiAmazAkiAmaz Registered Users Posts: 483
    Oh my god. All those people who demanded Sniktch 'finger snap' be removed from the game must now be considering demanding the removal of backspace from keyboards worldwide.

Wholly tic.
  • epic_1597399178501sPzxVAepic_1597399178501sPzxVA Registered Users Posts: 462

manpersal said:

Theo91 said:

Which is why I don't understand. A completely valueless achievement which is soon to be replaced in game 3
    are you sure?
  • epic_1597399178501sPzxVAepic_1597399178501sPzxVA Registered Users Posts: 462
    Theo91 said:

Does it work in MP?
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 30,784
    IT'S FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

DON'T LIKE IT? DON'T UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE IT!

• Dardis81Dardis81 Registered Users Posts: 265
    edited August 2020
    Tbh the campaign map is a complete wreck in TWW. It's literally riddled with glitches and exploits that a player can use. I wouldn't waste my time fixing this, they'll never get around to fixing everything anyway (even in TWW3).
    jUSt dOnT UsE iT
  • MonochromaticSpiderMonochromaticSpider Registered Users Posts: 1,063

manpersal said:

Theo91 said:

Which is why I don't understand. A completely valueless achievement which is soon to be replaced in game 3 anyway which can be achieved by modding the game to remove all challenge. The challenge is what makes the game fun - so taking away more and more of that challenge continues to baffle me.
    Are you suggesting that we all ought to play the game exactly the way you want to play it, being motivated only by exactly the same things that motivate you?

Playing the game "for the challenge" is, in my view, completely meaningless. It is a video game. Beating a video game is fundamentally without any meaning. Having fun with a video game, however one defines "fun"? That has meaning.
  • Jman5Jman5 Registered Users Posts: 1,260
    Rheingold said:

Honestly see no point in removing it. If people want to use it let them. Personally not sure what the point of playing the game is with the exploit but it really is a case of either ignoring it or using it depending on your preferences.

I see even less point in leaving it in the game.

I don't understand what your angle is that you're arguing against fixing bugs.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 9,857
    What is a backspace exploit? Are we talking saving and reloading?
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • lucibuislucibuis Registered Users Posts: 6,580
    First world problems
    Ariel only, no fads allowed.

• dorianbaroquedorianbaroque Registered Users Posts: 53

unfortunately not.
    Quite simply, if you press backspace during an AI-controlled faction's turn, any action ends and that turn ends immediately
    Are they going to attack you? press backspace and you will stop the enemy army before they reach you.
  • Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Registered Users Posts: 2,267
    It's bad, but lets look at it this way... People who have put thousands of hours into this game, like yours truly, had no idea this bug existed until just recently. There is no reason to believe CA were aware of it either.

I imagine that if we were in Horsham right now, we could probably hear their appalled silence as they watch the LoTW video and realise they need to patch not one game, not two, but possibly several.
  • MooncakeMooncake Registered Users Posts: 607
    That is truly a shame, you will be missed.
  • dorianbaroquedorianbaroque Registered Users Posts: 53
    edited August 2020

It's bad, but lets look at it this way... People who have put thousands of hours into this game, like yours truly, had no idea this bug existed until just recently. There is no reason to believe CA were aware of it either.

I imagine that if we were in Horsham right now, we could probably hear their appalled silence as they watch the LoTW video and realise they need to patch not one game, not two, but possibly several.

that's what I thought too, but then I found out about some reddits talking about the problem in 2017.
    at this point, I'd like to know if CA is going to fix the problem or leave it there.e.