Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Knowing about the exploit I can no longer enjoy the game.

Comments

• davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,096
    Thankfully.. despite knowing this I have no interest in using it.
    Interested in Sea Elves? Did you just call me a simpleton?

• StephinceStephince Registered Users Posts: 2,746
    Look on the bright side: never be ambushed by Skaven ever again.
  • Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Registered Users Posts: 2,257

It's bad, but lets look at it this way... People who have put thousands of hours into this game, like yours truly, had no idea this bug existed until just recently. There is no reason to believe CA were aware of it either.

I imagine that if we were in Horsham right now, we could probably hear their appalled silence as they watch the LoTW video and realise they need to patch not one game, not two, but possibly several.

that's what I thought too, but then I found out about the reddit talking about the problem in 2017.
    at this point, I'd like to know if CA is going to fix the problem or leave it there.e.
    This problem must have existed since game 1 launched, if not any prior titles as well. It doesn't surprise me some people knew about it or even discussed it in 2017. Somehow it never became common knowledge until Legend's vid. Funnily enough, his highlighting the issue has almost "created" the issue.

I don't know about you, but I'm not in the habit of arbitrarily pressing buttons over the end turn to "see what happens". Apparently Legend wasn't either and neither were you or most of the fan-base here. Presumably neither were CA unless they knew and were sitting on it like a dark secret, hoping we would never know because... it is unfixable somehow?

Fun to discuss at this point, but even if CA weren't ignorant of this, they aren't obligated to say so. Obviously, they must have known because they actually tested the **** out of this game, right? Nah. My money is on them finding out like most of the rest of us.
    Had enough scrappin' round 'ere. I'm off for a nice bit of sailin'.
  • Cryptic_FreezeCryptic_Freeze Registered Users Posts: 192
    That should be fixed yeah but here's an idea in the mean time

Don't use it and pay for your miscalculations, it's a game
  • dorianbaroquedorianbaroque Registered Users Posts: 53
    Stephince said:

Look on the bright side: never be ambushed by Skaven ever again.

I am not the one who is ambushed.
    I am the one who ambush.
    (I ... I wanted to put Ikit's face up Bryan Cranston and recreate the Braking Bad scene, but photoshop is loaded on the office pc ... I'm really sorry.)
  • NopeacejustwarNopeacejustwar Registered Users Posts: 1,176
    Just don’t use it!

or, listen to my idea: You can play TWW and hit your knee with an hammer (to stay on topic) every time you lose a battle.
    I mean ... you can do anything you want.
    Look, I know it's not a big deal, but it's a serious bug and clearly shouldn't be in the game.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,096

or, listen to my idea: You can play TWW and hit your knee with an hammer (to stay on topic) every time you lose a battle.
    I mean ... you can do anything you want.
    Look, I know it's not a big deal, but it's a serious bug and clearly shouldn't be in the game.
    Yeah.. you can do anything you want, you're an adult human being. Stop using it, I now know about it but will not use it. Self control boy..
    Interested in Sea Elves? Did you just call me a simpleton?

• LordSolarMachLordSolarMach Registered Users Posts: 850
    As a kid playing Starcraft, I had the knowledge that at any time I could activate Power Overwhelming and just be invincible.

But I didn't. Because I wanted to play the game.
  • lucibuislucibuis Registered Users Posts: 6,580
    So do you follow every race with the camera? Because if that’s the case your turns take forever
    Ariel only, no fads allowed.

As a kid playing Starcraft, I had the knowledge that at any time I could activate Power Overwhelming and just be invincible.

But I didn't. Because I wanted to play the game.

it's a good point, but here's my objection: power overwelming you could choose whether to activate it or not, and it's considered a cheats. the backspace exploit is already present in the game, and is already "active" (more or less, of course you still have to press a key...)
  • LordMolochLordMoloch Registered Users Posts: 124
    The second Legend mentioned that the exploit requires you to not fast forward through end turns, I immediately thought 'Nah, **** that'.

More seriously, just don't do it. It's as simple as that.
  • PandabaronPandabaron Registered Users Posts: 216
    Unplayable? Unplug your keyboard and throw it out the window.

Then go retrieve it when you’re grouping units in battle.
    about "Legend", I post his answer to all those who have told him: just don't use it

from reddit

Reasons why "just don't do it" isn't good enough. You are correct that you could just not do it and everything is fine, but the problem is there are people like myself that have very little self-control and we will do it. The problem that creates is that winning a Legendary difficulty campaign loses most of its challenge value in general. Even if you win it without using it the response from now on will be "so what, everyone can win that". Legendary difficulty is solely there for the bragging rights, its not necessarily a fun difficulty to deal with.

It should be the job of the developer to fix bugs, not for the player to avoid using them. I am hoping by exposing this exploit it will be fixed. I do not intend to use it long term if it does not get fixed because it will ruin the experience.

Don't let me or anyone else tell you how to play your game.
  • John_KimbleJohn_Kimble Registered Users Posts: 903
    Cool, now that CA knows, it will get fixed soon. Doesn't change a thing for me anyways, cause i won't be using it while i play either way. What's the point? Might as well not play the game.
  • Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 6,263
    I don't really think a game should work like a therapy for your self-control issues.
  • psychoakpsychoak Registered Users Posts: 3,336
    Considering how easy it is to win a legendary difficulty campaign, bragging rights are kind of a pathetic line of reasoning even outside of the reality that this is a video game, as opposed to something important in life...

Still, bugs should be fixed, even if I do find a lack of self control to be hilarious reasoning.
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 4,548
    Not surprised, if it's not one thing it's another with Total War titles.
  • FungusHoundFungusHound Registered Users Posts: 4,745

but the problem is there are people like myself that have very little self-control and we will do it.

Wow do people have such little self control that can't stop themselves from using an exploit?

That's pathetic
  • RockNRolla92RockNRolla92 Registered Users Posts: 1,754
    Yes it needs fixed but in the meantime if you don't have the self control not to use it then that's on you. I'm sure they'll have it fixed in a few months when the next DLC drops
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 30,559
    Self control is a red herring, it's not the relevant issue.

The relevant issue is that you can not legitimately lose the game. You can't even legitimately be outmaneuvered any more. The AI will only even be able to attack you because you let it and didn't use the Magic Army Paralysis Button. The game's totally deflated. Might as well add a Magic Campaign Win Button from turn one and no longer bother with gameplay at all.

Why is it so hard for people to understand player motivation?

• Rasmus242Rasmus242 Registered Users Posts: 472
    For the people saying "just don't do it!" you are both right and a bit wrong. It's a common design issue that players will make the game **** for themselves either through cheese or annoying grinds. There's this very base desire to win and sometimes it can make people adopt really bad playing patterns they don't enjoy and while it's fair to say "focus on playing the game in an enjoyable way" it's also the designers responsibilty to make playing the game and enjoying it normally as natural and desirable as possible.

This particular issue isn't a huge deal to me but now that Legend has made a video highlighting it more people might feel bad about it, having the lustful temptation of cheats so close to their fingertips. So really depends on how hard it is to fix. This does smell like some type of really tough bug that someone said "leave it be" just because of how non-invasive it is.

• DaGangsterDaGangster Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,459
    I had no idea this existed but it will continue to not effect me. It is as blatantly cheating as you can get I don't at all get how you could have trouble not doing this. If a game has a god mode can you not help but play it? If this were chess you'd be moving the cheese pieces between turns. Your not even playing a game at that point.

Team Vampire Counts

"Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson

I had no idea this existed but it will continue to not effect me. It is as blatantly cheating as you can get I don't at all get how you could have trouble not doing this. If a game has a god mode can you not help but play it? If this were chess you'd be moving the cheese pieces between turns. Your not even playing a game at that point.

It's fully irrelevant whether you don't want to use it. Fact is, from now on, the AI can only ever attack you because you let it. It completely ceased to be a threat at all.

The campaign is dead.

• Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 6,263
    Jman5 said:

Rheingold said:

Honestly see no point in removing it. If people want to use it let them. Personally not sure what the point of playing the game is with the exploit but it really is a case of either ignoring it or using it depending on your preferences.

I see even less point in leaving it in the game.

I don't understand what your angle is that you're arguing against fixing bugs.
    Could be it exists because would be difficult to code it separately for your lords and AI lords. You can use it to block your own movement. In that case removing it would be detrimental to gameplay without giving any benefit.
  • PatriksevePatrikseve Member Registered Users Posts: 1,965
    You could try unbinding the backspace button for now.

It's a simple user interface flag that has to be set correctly during AI turns.

People really shouldn't act as if this would be difficult for CA to fix.

• AkiAmazAkiAmaz Registered Users Posts: 483
    Leave it for 20 years, get as old as I am then come the morning you'll have forgotten everything you heard about the game from the day before. Problem solved.
  • FungusHoundFungusHound Registered Users Posts: 4,745

It's fully irrelevant whether you don't want to use it. Fact is, from now on, the AI can only ever attack you because you let it. It completely ceased to be a threat at all.

The campaign is dead.
    And all this time you could have turned on one of many super cheat mods but you didn't.
  • John_KimbleJohn_Kimble Registered Users Posts: 903
    Knowing or not knowing about this has made 0 difference for me. I play this game for fun and cause i dearly love the WH universe. Not cause i enjoy cheesing my way through a single-player strategy game. There's absolutely nothing competitive about this game, so i just don't get why would people abuse this during their campaigns now that they know it. It's their loss anyways, as CA's not going to fix this tomorrow so. Either deal with it or abuse it all you want.