Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Backspace bug to the resque, 2 reasons why its good

Comments

• AxiosXiphosAxiosXiphos Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,034
    Nothing about this is really worth arguing about.

It's a bug - it should be fixed; as simple as.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 30,870
    If CA made a game about 100m Dash, but gave the player character an effin' sports car to compete in, people wouldn't make the argument that you should just not step on the gas pedal too much, right?

This is how effin degenerate this debate is.

• Theo91Theo91 Registered Users Posts: 2,143

Man, this is such a great game. Full of things you shouldn't do and not make use of. No doomstacking, no buffstacking, no abusing the economy, no magically snapping factions out of the game, let the AI attack you even though this is no longer a necessity...play the game skillfully with every tool the devs gave you and it becomes worse.

Isn't it great that this game requires discipline so you don't win it too easily? It's like the devs completely flunked at how games are supposed to work.

You realise that playing video games has no greater purpose than for fun/ relaxing? it's not like if you beat this game on legendary you can add it to your CV or brag to people about it. If you don't enjoy this game, there are so many others to pick from.

I think the backspace glitch highlights the pointlessness of video games once you take away the sense of achievement - but in reality, there never was any sort of achievement in playing this game. It's just an alternative way of passing the time
    edited August 2020
    If you don't stunlock an AI stack attacking one of your settlements with an insufficiently powerful garrison to hold it, have you played the game better or worse? What would be the "correct" move?

• VildvargVildvarg Registered Users Posts: 782
    I'll agree with ED on this one, whether it's easily ignored or not it's an ugly, simple exploit that's always readily available. It should definitely be patched out.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 11,045
    Can we just fix bug like normal people. And move on.
    It is bug it should be fixed.
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
    edited August 2020
    BTW, that was a trick question, there's no "correct" move. If I allow the attack to happen and lose the battle and the settlement, it's not a defeat I earned because I let the AI attack me. If I had used the stunlock I would not achieved anything either because that was just me using an advantage I hadn't earned. So neither alternative is in any way satsifying.

That's why it needs to be fixed quickly.

• MonochromaticSpiderMonochromaticSpider Registered Users Posts: 1,063

Theo91 said:

I find people’s reaction to this bug odd. If there was a cheat code IDDQD, would you use it? I assume not, or if you would that’s also fine.

My point is knowing there’s a bug which is basically cheat mode doesn’t mean you now must use it. I literally couldn’t care less if they didn’t patch... nothing has changed in the game for me

If the IDDQD cheat was permanently on, would you suggest people bothered by it should just close the game whenever they receive lethal damage?
    Is the backspace bug permanently on or do you have to repeat it every single time an enemy stack wants to move?

It's actually considerably less useful than the IDDQD cheat. Imagine having to type that every single time you needed to bypass damage from an attack? That's the backspace bug.
  • MonochromaticSpiderMonochromaticSpider Registered Users Posts: 1,063

Man, this is such a great game. Full of things you shouldn't do and not make use of. No doomstacking, no buffstacking, no abusing the economy, no magically snapping factions out of the game, let the AI attack you even though this is no longer a necessity...play the game skillfully with every tool the devs gave you and it becomes worse.

Isn't it great that this game requires discipline so you don't win it too easily? It's like the devs completely flunked at how games are supposed to work.

Or maybe you're the one who is confusing what this game is supposed to be? You keep talking about the game as if it is a challenge out of the box, one of those things so hard that players can reasonably be expected to go absolute ham on the game and still have big problems.

What TW game ever has ever lived up to those ideals? By my reckoning, none. So with those ideals, one has to wonder why you're here? Or if you're here because you like TW, one has to wonder where those ideals came from all of a sudden?
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 4,612

Or maybe you're the one who is confusing what this game is supposed to be? You keep talking about the game as if it is a challenge out of the box, one of those things so hard that players can reasonably be expected to go absolute ham on the game and still have big problems.

What TW game ever has ever lived up to those ideals? By my reckoning, none. So with those ideals, one has to wonder why you're here? Or if you're here because you like TW, one has to wonder where those ideals came from all of a sudden?
    That's still not an excuse for the game having **** campaign balance.
    edited August 2020

What I wonder about is why you play a game about martial competition but are apparently offended by the competitive aspect of it so much that you want it diminished into total irrelevancy.

Maybe you go and play a walking simulator too instead of trying to turn this game into one.

• TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 10,795
    edited August 2020

Lol yeah pretty much. CA got some balancing left to do.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.

That's still not an excuse for the game having **** campaign balance.
    Just dont use the faction, tech, buffs, troops, mechanics and LLs that are unbalanced!
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 9,212
    Wait some people are seriously defending a game breaking bug because they can't bear losing ? Just download cheat mods.
    neodeinos said:

Wait some people are seriously defending a game breaking bug because they can't bear losing ? Just download cheat mods.

This is the point, i'm not defending the bug, i'm just saying if you want to cheat download a cheat mod. or press the backspace - it's the same thing. And in the same way i choose not to download cheat mods, i also choose not to exploit the backspace glitch. there's no additional self control required, both are easy to avoid

BTW, that was a trick question, there's no "correct" move. If I allow the attack to happen and lose the battle and the settlement, it's not a defeat I earned because I let the AI attack me. If I had used the stunlock I would not achieved anything either because that was just me using an advantage I hadn't earned. So neither alternative is in any way satsifying.

That's why it needs to be fixed quickly.

I agree there's no correct move but the reason for that is because literally no one cares what you do. just pick whichever option is most fun for you and go for it. the game is designed for your enjoyment and if you don't enjoy it, play a different game
    Theo91 said:

neodeinos said:

This is the point, i'm not defending the bug, i'm just saying if you want to cheat download a cheat mod. or press the backspace - it's the same thing. And in the same way i choose not to download cheat mods, i also choose not to exploit the backspace glitch. there's no additional self control required, both are easy to avoid
    It's not the same thing. One method requires you to delibeately change the rules of the game, the other is always available without you bending the rules at all.

Hence why it makes the whole campaign even less satisfying than before.

• Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,461

Theo91 said:

neodeinos said:

It's not the same thing. One method requires you to delibeately change the rules of the game, the other is always available without you bending the rules at all.

Will you be using it?
    81jt2dj75iky.png

Kia Kaha and C'est La Vie Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.
  • Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Registered Users Posts: 2,278

Theo91 said:

neodeinos said:

Wrong. They both require you to deliberately change the rules of the game... unless you have always been using the backspace over the end turn.

This is a bug. You are choosing to look at it as a feature here because it suits your argument. Most people who are saying "leave it in" are likely doing so to be facetious. They are reacting to the perceived hyperbole in your argument, not the bug.

Be angry at the careless nature of this bug if you want. Laugh if you want. You will almost certainly not change anybody else's perspective with this line of debate.

Fact of the matter is, this bug will only tarnish our enjoyment of this game as much as we let it. In ignorance, we had bliss. That is why some people will dislike your perspective. They would rather find a way to ignore it and enjoy themselves than fixate on the game's "deeper meaning" from a competitive standpoint, let alone your own personal one.
    edited August 2020

Theo91 said:

neodeinos said:

Will you be using it?
    I will not play the game, that's what I will do. It's pointless. I had thought I had a good mixture of mods to spice the game up and then CA immediately blew it again with their trademark lack of care.

Theo91 said:

neodeinos said:

Wrong. They both require you to deliberately change the rules of the game... unless you have always been using the backspace over the end turn.

This is a bug. You are choosing to look at it as a feature here because it suits your argument. Most people who are saying "leave it in" are likely doing so to be facetious. They are reacting to the perceived hyperbole in your argument, not the bug.

Be angry at the careless nature of this bug if you want. Laugh if you want. You will almost certainly not change anybody else's perspective with this line of debate.

Fact of the matter is, this bug will only tarnish our enjoyment of this game as much as we let it. In ignorance, we had bliss. That is why some people will dislike your perspective. They would rather find a way to ignore it and enjoy themselves than fixate on the game's "deeper meaning" from a competitive standpoint, let alone your own personal one.
    What rules am I changing? CA allowed the use of stunlocking the AI during its turn, so how's it cheating to use it? Does it block achievements or anything?

I am angry at the people trying to play this down in the hopes that CA leaves it in. I am angry at the people who think that single player games should have no competitive aspect at all and therefore must be as trivial as possible. Yeah, wrong. A game that simulates war should actually challenge the player in some way, otherwise what's the point of any conflict?

I wouldn't be so angry if this was the one faux-pas CA made regarding this game, but there's so much imbalanced crap here that the best playing experience is apparently when you pretend you have no idea what you're doing and that's so contrary to how games should work that I simply can't let them off the hook for it.

• Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,461

Theo91 said:

neodeinos said:

Will you be using it?
    I will not play the game, that's what I will do. It's pointless. I had thought I had a good mixture of mods to spice the game up and then CA immediately blew it again with their trademark lack of care.
    This bug has been in since day 1, presumably. If you deign it an unfair advantage and decide not to click backspace in your end turns like I assume you did for all of your previous campaigns, how does knowledge it exists change the challenge even one iota?
    81jt2dj75iky.png

Kia Kaha and C'est La Vie Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.
  • Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Registered Users Posts: 2,278

Theo91 said:

neodeinos said:

Will you be using it?

Theo91 said:

neodeinos said:

What rules am I changing? CA allowed the use of stunlocking the AI during its turn, so how's it cheating to use it? Does it block achievements or anything?

I am angry at the people trying to play this down in the hopes that CA leaves it in. I am angry at the people who think that single player games should have no competitive aspect at all and therefore must be as trivial as possible. Yeah, wrong. A game that simulates war should actually challenge the player in some way, otherwise what's the point of any conflict?

I wouldn't be so angry if this was the one faux-pas CA made regarding this game, but there's so much imbalanced crap here that the best playing experience is apparently when you pretend you have no idea what you're doing and that's so contrary to how games should work that I simply can't let them off the hook for it.
    @Ephraim_Dalton

"Overlooking" is more what I think this is than "allowing". The rule you are changing is that you are preventing the AI from moving as intended over the end turn. I would rather not get too bogged down in the philosophy of what that means, although I respect you enough to know that would be a lengthy and spirited debate.

I think, though, that you are mainly swinging at shadows here. People are telling you that you are misinterpreting their motives and yet you continue as though you aren't listening. Whether or not this bug affects the competitive aspect of this game is a matter of opinion. Some people have always used personal objectives and restrictions as a basis for challenge. For them, this bug is another exploit not to use. You may not respect or see value in their choice, but it is still a choice.

Honestly, there are many parallels with the cheese debate here. Personally, I think you and that LoTW guy have a point. Taking advantage of everything at your disposal within the game has its merits as a true "optimisation of strategy". That is because you are looking at this through a monochrome lens. There is purity in that, but unfortunately this game will never really test a player who does that without creating personal challenges like LoTW's "This is Total War" campaigns, declaring war on everyone.

Demeaning people who find ways of creating personal challenge in the absence of challenge from the game (i.e. not pushing the button) is what has created this messy debate far more than your demands this bug be fixed. That's why it seems borderline personal with some folks. Don't conflate the two.
  • BlaeysBlaeys Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,096
    edited August 2020
    Does it need to be fixed? Yes.

Is it the end of Total War Warhammer 2 or destroying how we can play the game? Of course not.

There really is nothing more to it than that.

It's more akin to the old cheat codes on console games than anything nefarious or gamebreaking. Yes, people could bypass gameplay with them, but they didnt have to.

Again, it should be fixed - but it's not the end of the world if it isnt fixed "soon."
    Yeah this bug should be fixed.

But this bug takes active action from the player so it isnt as bad as bug that would happen to you by the system.

• innerpinnerp Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 982
    all this anger over a bug i forgot even existed after i heard about it. didnt even think about hitting backspace once in my campaign. feels like much ado about nothing, it will be fixed on CA's patch schedule circa 2021 no use crying about it.
  • Jman5Jman5 Registered Users Posts: 1,260
    edited August 2020
    innerp said:

all this anger over a bug i forgot even existed after i heard about it. didnt even think about hitting backspace once in my campaign. feels like much ado about nothing, it will be fixed on CA's patch schedule circa 2021 no use crying about it.

Unfortunately, creating lots of threads and youtube videos seem like the only reliable way to get a bug fixed in a reasonable timeframe. Like you said it's been public knowledge for years and CA didn't bother fixing it. Clearly reporting these things calmly through the proper channels doesn't work very well.
  • Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 6,280
    I'm all for people to enjoy games like they want. No need for the fun police.

Theo91 said:

Theo91 said:

Theo91 said:

Theo91 said:

I find people’s reaction to this bug odd. If there was a cheat code IDDQD, would you use it? I assume not, or if you would that’s also fine.

My point is knowing there’s a bug which is basically cheat mode doesn’t mean you now must use it. I literally couldn’t care less if they didn’t patch... nothing has changed in the game for me

If the IDDQD cheat was permanently on, would you suggest people bothered by it should just close the game whenever they receive lethal damage?
    What are you talking about, how is it permanently on 🤣 you literally have to press the backspace for something to happen. The fact that no one noticed before shows it’s not a big deal
    Any time the AI gets to attack me, it's because I allowed it to do so because the AI can't move if I don't want it to.

So sorry, the cheat turns the whole game into even more of a farce than before.
    Just don’t press the button. I assume you’ve ploughed hundreds if not thousands of hours into this game, without pressing backspace, so clearly you are capable of playing this game without pressing it, just continue like that and you’ll be fine
    Here's a question, why shouldn't I use this any time the AI is poised to attack me?
    You’ve paid Money for a game where the premise is for the ai to attack you. The goal is to strategically better the ai.

That’s at least my expectation when I play the game. Just because I can undo that doesn’t mean I’ll want to
    But then since I have a legal tool to stunlock the AI, it would be strategically better to always make use of it. Why allow attacks you can avert with minimal effort?
    Legal? WTH?
    Xenos7 said:

Theo91 said:

Theo91 said:

Theo91 said:

Theo91 said:

What are you talking about, how is it permanently on 🤣 you literally have to press the backspace for something to happen. The fact that no one noticed before shows it’s not a big deal
    Any time the AI gets to attack me, it's because I allowed it to do so because the AI can't move if I don't want it to.

Just don’t press the button. I assume you’ve ploughed hundreds if not thousands of hours into this game, without pressing backspace, so clearly you are capable of playing this game without pressing it, just continue like that and you’ll be fine
    Here's a question, why shouldn't I use this any time the AI is poised to attack me?
    You’ve paid Money for a game where the premise is for the ai to attack you. The goal is to strategically better the ai.

That’s at least my expectation when I play the game. Just because I can undo that doesn’t mean I’ll want to
    But then since I have a legal tool to stunlock the AI, it would be strategically better to always make use of it. Why allow attacks you can avert with minimal effort?
    Legal? WTH?
    It's not a cheat.

Xenos7 said:

Theo91 said:

Theo91 said:

Theo91 said:

Theo91 said:

Legal? WTH?
    It's not a cheat.
    It's not within the rules of the game.