Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Apparently the backspace bug was reported 3 years ago

LevicariumLevicarium Registered Users Posts: 496
edited August 2020 in Total War General Chat
I apologize for yet another thread on this subject, but this is ridiculous...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/594570/discussions/0/1520386297685215759/

So unless there is massive outrage they don't fix bugs/exploits? Even game-breaking ones?
Post edited by dge1 on

Comments

• FungusHoundFungusHound Registered Users Posts: 4,799
    That's the thing, its not game breaking. People didn't even notice it for 3 years.

Usually bugs are fixed based on priority and how long it would take to untangle the code without causing 20 more bugs.

If a bug doesn't do anything unless you go out of your way to cause it, it is likely low priority compared to bugs that directly impact gameplay or cause crashes.
  • sandercohensandercohen Registered Users Posts: 269
    Who would exploit such a bug anyway? It takes the challenge out of the game. The people who exploit the bug may as well install a trainer or a cheat engine and 'win' that way. While obviously bugs should get fixed, fixing or not fixing this one will never make any difference to me personally.
  • StephinceStephince Registered Users Posts: 2,746

That's the thing, its not game breaking. People didn't even notice it for 3 years.

Usually bugs are fixed based on priority and how long it would take to untangle the code without causing 20 more bugs.

If a bug doesn't do anything unless you go out of your way to cause it, it is likely low priority compared to bugs that directly impact gameplay or cause crashes.

This
  • ZekerathZekerath Registered Users Posts: 490
    Doesn't seem like it got much attention back then.
    If a single player finds a bug that, as have been pointed out more than enough times in this forum, isn't really a game-breaking thing and pretty much unnoticeable unless you already know about it, it probably wasn't considered a priority thing to fix. Compare that to now that thousands of people have learned it and it has been reported loud and clear. It would look bad if they ignored it now.
    I'm glad that CA are working to fix it so we can leave this whole thing behind.
  • VildvargVildvarg Registered Users Posts: 771
    While it requires player input it's still an awful too easily accessible exploit and should be removed post haste. I understand the point others are making about it not being a top priority but I feel this is too belittling towards the importance of removing it. And it should be removed ASAP.
  • LevicariumLevicarium Registered Users Posts: 496
    There were other threads that discussed how bad is it exactly and opinions differ. I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with, is that it wasn't fixed for THREE YEARS.

Basically, it just sends out a message that in order for something to be fixed in this game, you gotta have an outrage mob on Reddit.

I guess this is nothing new, but still a bit disappointing.
  • LordCommanderLordCommander Registered Users Posts: 1,931
    I don't know about anybody else but even had I known about it for three years I would not have used it anyway. Do people have trouble not utilising technical exploits? I wouldn't have thought it a big deal.
  • FungusHoundFungusHound Registered Users Posts: 4,799

There were other threads that discussed how bad is it exactly and opinions differ. I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with, is that it wasn't fixed for THREE YEARS.

Basically, it just sends out a message that in order for something to be fixed in this game, you gotta have an outrage mob on Reddit.

If it is a low priority bug that affected virtually no one, it goes to the bottom of the pile of things to fix.

This is a live game with massive regular updates, that can cause many bugs. If every couple of months more bugs are introduced with new content, then the super low priority bug will take forever to get fixed because actually problematic bugs both take priority and are continously introduced.

So yes it didn't get fixed for 3 years most likely because it was so minor, mostly unknown, and new bugs that are ACTUALLY game breaking continously because this is a game with live development.
  • ZekerathZekerath Registered Users Posts: 490

Giving CA the benefit of the doubt, they might have not noticed it being reported. Don't know how actively they keep an eye on steam discussions, and the post had no replies to confirm if anyone actually saw it.
    But most likely situation is disappointing.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,206
    While the bug should be fixed, yes... is it really a problem?

Just don't freaking use it, ffs.

If it works in MP maybe it's a problem there if you're doing a PUG, but otherwise? Just don't freaking use it, ffs.

It's that simple, lol. You have to ACTIVELY CHOOSE to use this exploit. Just... don't freaking use it.

FFS :-P
  • D4B0SSD4B0SS Registered Users Posts: 219
    edited August 2020

I don't know about anybody else but even had I known about it for three years I would not have used it anyway. Do people have trouble not utilising technical exploits? I wouldn't have thought it a big deal.

Does it work in Multiplayer?
  • ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 5,164
    See i crusade against bugs, important bugs, game breaking bugs, major bugs, immersive breaking bugs.

This one is neither, this one is insignificant.

"Yum Yum"
  • BlacksphemyBlacksphemy Registered Users Posts: 495
    Did you guys know that CA has allowed game breaking mods for invincible armies for years? Once I knew about them I had to use them and now with just one click to download, I win every game and nothing is fun anymore. Why did they allow someone to give me the ability to cheat?
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 24,839
    This isn't a game breaking bug. It's not even significant. If someone has a tiny bit of self control it's a complete non issue.

CA should fix it, but I can understand why it hasn't been fixed; it should be low priority.

I apologize in for everything I say till around 29/04
  • IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 3,002
    this is not even a bug, is a hidden functionality.
    *Justice and CONFEDERATION for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast!
    *Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo
    *Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!
    *Ogre Kingdoms core race or death!

• KillTheWorldKillTheWorld Registered Users Posts: 423
    People will use the exploits that are available, that's not equivalent to installing a cheat, not even remotely close. People take the path of least resistance: ALWAYS. They need to fix the bug. It's not some flaw in the majority of players, it's human nature.
  • D4B0SSD4B0SS Registered Users Posts: 219
    Warhammer Total War 1-2 has no competitive Solo Campaigns.

Which is why this doesn't matter.
  • BlaeysBlaeys Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,096
    If you type "cheat" into the mod workshop, you will see 7 pages returned.

This is no different than the old cheat codes they had on old school consoles.

Yes, it should probably be fixed. No, it isnt a big deal. There is no rush on this one.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 30,797
    subsphinx said:

People will use the exploits that are available, that's not equivalent to installing a cheat, not even remotely close. People take the path of least resistance: ALWAYS. They need to fix the bug. It's not some flaw in the majority of players, it's human nature.

Yep. This has nothing to do with willpower. Willpower is for losing weight and getting a root canal, not for NOT using all tools a game gives you. This is such a moronic argument, I can only presume people want to keep this exploit in for even easier steamrolling and cheap achievements.

• CyresdogCyresdog Registered Users Posts: 577
    edited August 2020

subsphinx said:

Yep. This has nothing to do with willpower. Willpower is for losing weight and getting a root canal, not for NOT using all tools a game gives you. This is such a moronic argument, I can only presume people want to keep this exploit in for even easier steamrolling and cheap achievements.
    Huh? I can go on the steam workshop and get myself mods that make pretty much every solo campaign AV doable in less than 20 minutes.
    The Backspace exploit itself would be one of the harder variants of doing so...

And this has a lot to do with Willpower, what you are talking abouth would be more suitable for the term "strength".
    Not using this exploit is the very definition of the word willpower.

But like almost everyone else on this forum says. This exploit has no high priority at all. It is the very same thing as using a cheat, no one forces you to do it, the game does not do it by accident. We played the game for roughly 4 1/2 years now, and no one complained because of it until now. And all of a sudden some people start screeching that it HAS to be fixed RIGHT NOW. Said it a million times, gonna say it a few million times more. Just don't press Backspace. If it is that hard for you not to do it, and then immediately alt+tab onto the forum to open yet another thread how much this ruins your experience, then all of this goes on you.
    Its like blaming someone else because you stole something just because it was put infront of you. No one forced you to.

This bug is not gamebreaking in any sort or form. Whats next? Do you guys want to get rid of easy mode, because that also takes away any challenge the game has to offer.
    And btw, i don't think anyone cares about the Singleplayer Achievments, the only ones who do are the ones who go for 100% games. And like i mentioned before, there are way easier and quicker ways to get them than the backspace exploit. And if its useable in a Head to Head campaign also does not really matter at all. No one plays those campaigns with randoms, so if you trust your friend and he trusts you, then everything should be fine. And if they use em, then ffs let them use them. Its not the end of the world, you know.

Reminder to ignore certain Users:
    Lucibuis, Veresh

It's not on the player to make up for the dev's laziness and lack of care. They effed up and now I make the game my bitch, it's as easy as that. Why not? Because I'm playing it wrong? LoL, this game's full of endlessly exploitable stuff, people have already told me I should spend "willpower" to avoid about half of the broken mechanics in this game to have a "better" experience.

Here's the thing, if I have to play a game left-handed and blindfolded, I'm not having a good time because that's frackin's stupid. In that case I'd rather go and play something from devs that actually do wish that players can enjoy their games fully.

And another thing, "willpower" is for doing things you don't want to do. I'll save that for important stuff, not for a goddamn videogame!

• dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 21,325
    Moved to Chat to join the other threads on the topic.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,461

And another thing, "willpower" is for doing things you don't want to do. I'll save that for important stuff, not for a goddamn videogame!

At least you're finally admitting all your crusading to make things less fun just come from a lack of desire to show any self control.
    81jt2dj75iky.png

Kia Kaha and C'est La Vie Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.
    #SelfcontrolIsAVirtue

"Yum Yum"
  • LepingLeping Registered Users Posts: 179
    They shouldn't fix oathgold bug, hey they shouldn't fix the 400 goblin archer dmg with scraps too

If it's a cheated bug don't use it and dev, plz do nothing..What a dumbass line.

Let exist any of this outrageous bug and glitch because it's a single player game. If we listen some people the game would be in a terrible state right now...

This glitch is a sabotage of any notion of accomplishment in a legendary campaign. Everyone can do it and even without mod you will never know if it's legit run or not.
    Oh please dear lawd save me from my unworthy self, i cannot for the life of me understand how people can in any way or form still enjoy the game when this completely whopper of a bug remains in the game.

Please any higher power that be teach me the virtue of self control, oh lawd!

Praise be, all praise our lord and savior Thanquol The Magnificent-Mighty.

"Yum Yum"

At least you're finally admitting all your crusading to make things less fun just come from a lack of desire to show any self control.
    No, because that's good effin game design. Good devs, you know, don't fill their games with broken crap and then expect their players to expend "willpower" to play it as intended, they make sure that the game isn't a broken mess in the first place instead. If the devs don't care, I sure as hell won't.

Just go on, keep making excuses for them. It's no wonder CA doesn't give a damn about QA.

Utterly hilarious that people get their panties in a twist over a bug that is completely avoidable yet they don´t speak up about the bugs that have an actual impact on game play, like the Artillery/defensive tower bug, like the siege gate bug, like weapon damage bug in the previous DLC.

Pathetic really.

"Yum Yum"
    edited August 2020
    Utterly hilarious is that people put so much effort into absolving CA from fixing bugs in their game. Has anything good ever come out of giving devs a free pass on lacking QA? No, 'course not. So either the people here defending this bug are either engaging in utterly self-defeating stupidity out of some mistaken sense of pride or, despite their condescending preaching about willpower, actually hope this bug stays so they can exploit it but are too chicken to actually admit it.

Either way, you lot are pitiful.

Clamoring for more QA > clamoring for less QA