Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Next full historical title?

jonatron5jonatron5 MemberRegistered Users Posts: 46
edited August 2020 in Total War General Chat
So totalwar troy is officially classified as a "Total war Saga game"

Which are intended to be smaller one off titles that alternate with the Warhammer, and full historical release schedule. They tend to release full historical titles every 2-3 years. So best case scenario we could see a new title, or at least a teaser by late 2021.

Any thoughts? Speculation? Fantasies? On what the era might be?

I personally would like to see Victoria Totalwar.

Midieval 3 would be a close second though

Comments

• CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,706
    I think there's going to be a bigger gap before the next historical TW. I'd expect TW:WH3 to be the next release and then at least a year before the next title.

Not really any clues I've noticed to the next game they will make, Troy doesn't really seem to be supporting much other time periods - unless the next one is a full scale Bronze age game.

I do think building up from M3 - P&S - E2 - Vic would be my chosen path as they'd be able to build up off the ending of the previous game for the next one and expand the maps but might end up too gun heavy for a while for some of the community.
  • jonatron5jonatron5 Member Registered Users Posts: 46
    Commisar said:

I think there's going to be a bigger gap before the next historical TW. I'd expect TW:WH3 to be the next release and then at least a year before the next title.

Not really any clues I've noticed to the next game they will make, Troy doesn't really seem to be supporting much other time periods - unless the next one is a full scale Bronze age game.

I do think building up from M3 - P&S - E2 - Vic would be my chosen path as they'd be able to build up off the ending of the previous game for the next one and expand the maps but might end up too gun heavy for a while for some of the community.

I thought they had 3 separate development studios.

One for the sagas

One for the Warhammer games.

And one for the full historical games
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,662
    I believe the next Historical title is already in development.

It might be the stand-alone expansion of Three Kingdoms.
    jonatron5 said:

I thought they had 3 separate development studios.

One for the sagas

One for the Warhammer games.

And one for the full historical games

They do, but they also don't seem to want to compete with each other. They've not released two games in the same year. I also think they only have one PR team for all the games from what I've seen.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,167
    R2 2013
    3K 2019
    Next 2026?

R2 2013
    3K 2019
    Next 2026?

You forgot Attila
    jamreal18 said:

R2 2013
    3K 2019
    Next 2026?

You forgot Attila
    Not a major release.. more like Napoleon to Empire.
  • cbferris1cbferris1 Registered Users Posts: 37

jamreal18 said:

R2 2013
    3K 2019
    Next 2026?

You forgot Attila
    I thought that too when they first announced Attila with the timeframe and map being so close to Rome, but it’s not. They built a new engine for it. It’s a totally separate game from Rome entirely, just also happens to deal with the Roman Empire
    cbferris1 said:

jamreal18 said:

R2 2013
    3K 2019
    Next 2026?

You forgot Attila
    I thought that too when they first announced Attila with the timeframe and map being so close to Rome, but it’s not. They built a new engine for it. It’s a totally separate game from Rome entirely, just also happens to deal with the Roman Empire
    Both R2 and Attila uses warscape 32 bit, as well as using the same map and I assume a lot of similar models.
    edited August 2020

cbferris1 said:

jamreal18 said:

R2 2013
    3K 2019
    Next 2026?

You forgot Attila
    Both R2 and Attila uses warscape 32 bit, as well as using the same map and I assume a lot of similar models.
    If only Rome 2 was made with 64 bit engine.... It would be a better game it deserves.
  • TheGreatPamphletTheGreatPamphlet Registered Users Posts: 967
    cbferris1 said:

jamreal18 said:

R2 2013
    3K 2019
    Next 2026?

You forgot Attila
    It's the same engine, even the animations are practically the same. Gotta ask, what was your source?
    Nestor.

Allah, Suriya, Bashar w Bas!

• TeleperformTeleperform Registered Users Posts: 6
    Some years ago I suggested Renaissance TW - landsknecht era.
  • EsnidyEsnidy Registered Users Posts: 7
    I would love for them to just do Medieval 3. Found most of the other games fun but nothing beats the setting that it had. The struggles in europe between France, England, HRE, And then the clashes between western and eastern culture by sending droves of armies to the middle east for the crusades because why not? Dealing with the pope. Getting overwhelmed by the mongols and timurids. Knights in plate armor. The world just seemed so much bigger. I even enjoyed sailing across the sea for the little bit of the aztec interactions we got.

I understand it might be easier to just tackle one location and theme at a time but thats what made Medieval so good. I wanted to build an empire in one part of the map and eventually be fighting on an entirely different continent .

I know they probably wont do it but world war 1 or 2 would be interesting . Although I dont know if it would be ethical to make Nazi Germany a playable faction.
  • TeleperformTeleperform Registered Users Posts: 6
    Looks like my previous post here was deleted. How childish.
  • DannyrolljrDannyrolljr El Paso, TXRegistered Users Posts: 4
    edited August 2020
    Esnidy said:

I know they probably wont do it but world war 1 or 2 would be interesting . Although I dont know if it would be ethical to make Nazi Germany a playable faction.

HOI4 from Paradox has Germany in it. I hate the graphics and how complicated the features to their games are. They sell you the base game but then create so much DLC that to play the full experience is like $200+ for their games. It’s awful, the ideas and concepts are cool but I don’t like studying a game like it’s college material.

I love the Total War series, grew up playing them. I’m not sure how well they could incorporate a WW2 setting and keep it total war but I think ww1 would be better and doable. They did great with empire and Napoleon. I prefer how total war feels like a game, graphics are awesome and their features are done well. WW1 TW would be dope. I’d personally like to see more South America and Africa. An Empire 2 I would even settle for. It’s cool seeing how far features have came since Rome and now we have everything in Warhammer, Troy and 3K

• SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,449
    Personally I would like TW Victoria, from the "realistic" options the most.
    Why?
    As much I love M2 and probably would love M3, the matter of fact is that battle wise we are in the "sword bow and spear" ear of warfare since FotS, aka 2013. So... having a TW with muskets (and later rifles) would change the pace a bit.

Also I would view it a stepping stone to a 20th century TW, aka "TW the Great war or TW Total War.

I mean technically speaking, TW has done most things associated with WW1 or WW2.
    Long range Artillery? FotS
    Machine guns? FotS and Wh2
    Gas? I think M2 already had the cows, but Wh2 defiantly has gas...
    Flyers? Well not "plane" like but WH 1&2 have flyers and combining it with "call in" of long range artillery you could easily see how planes might one day work...
    Steelships and turrets? FotS (again)
    Torpedos? FotS
    Sea Mines? S2
    Tanks? Wh2 (thou not ideal of course for WW2 tanks)

In short... alot of what is needed for WW1 or 2 has been done in TW and a TW Victoria most certainly couldn't resist to, if not ending in the WW1 or having a "side game" ala Napoleon for WW1, would most certainly use some stuff that would expand what 19th century had technology wise.

But there are of course some other trends interesting to see:
    hasn't 3K feature a unit with a mix if melee and range unit? in the same unit I mean?
    Wouldn't that mean that a "pike and shot" TW (30 year, 17th century as whole ect.) TW would be in the cards?
    Not a bad candidate either...
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,449
    Esnidy said:

I find this a curious argument given that there are dozen of game, mostly strategy games, do feature germany/the 3rd reich as playable faction.

FPS tend not to do so at least in a campaign. But overall the strategy sector in particular has no problem with making WW2 germany playable, even in campaigns.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Registered Users Posts: 2,007
    It will be medieval 3. Just so much potential like chapter and expansion packs, lot’s of cultures, religion. It will be huge!
  • AeBikaAeBika Registered Users Posts: 1
    I would love to see a late Victorian/WW1 Total War in the vein of FotS.

Economic and martial development seemed the most fleshed out and also had, by far, the biggest impact both on the campaign and battles. To see something similar, altough way larger in scale, in Europe and other parts of world sounds enticing (think about Empire as reference).

I envision late 19th century including and culminating in WW1. Imagine: industrialization, colonization, nationalism, secret pacts and treaties, trade embargos, large scale land and sea battles, espionage, war weariness (done right this time), land degradation etc.
    Also, I don't think the developers have to tweak the game design too much since, as mentioned before, similar game designs have been introduced before.
    I wouldn't even mind the steam-punky options for your late-game tech tree (looking at you Iron Harvest and Battlefield 1).

However, I'm not too optimistic about a WW2 adaptation. Game design would have to change tremendously. Ultimately, I don't think it is possiple while retaining a similar Total War battle and campaign style.
    It would end before WW1, the changes in gameplay to translate to WW1 would clash with the original gameplay and of course by that point of the game what nations would be left to have a WW? Players would be large enough to not have an issue with it.

WW1 also doesn't fit TWs style without a large number of core changes.
  • BillieJeanBillieJean Registered Users Posts: 1
    Why not something set in the Americas circa 1600-1800s. There seems like a lot of options there:

1. England, France and Spain all competing in different parts of North and South America (and Caribbean) to establish their respective colonies.
    2. Same era as above but playing as one of the native tribes, trying to fight back the invaders
    3. American Revolutionary War
    4. Mexican American War
    5. Spanish (and native opposition to) colonization of Central and South America

The first option seems perhaps the most some. For instance, playing as England to try and establish a foothold in South America after the Spanish are already established there...

This seems a little more exciting than another sequel to an existing era or WW1/2, which I also think do not really fit well with the standard TW gameplay.
    1. Would expect that to be covered with a Pike & shot total war.
    2. Same, probably good culture pack DLC
    3. We have had that covered, was a 3 part campaign in Empire TW.
    4. Seems a bit too limited for a TW title.
    5. Has came up a few times, might be big enough for a Saga or a DLC campaign for a game covering the large time period.