Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Champions of Chaos: Azazel

Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 6,277
edited September 21 in General Discussion
One of the oldskool 5th edition special characters.

Source: Champions of Chaos 5th; WD#223 (UK)

Azazel was covered with 6th edition rules through GW homepage, or Citadel Journal#50.

And he also had two pages in the Liber Chaotica Slaanesh

Azazels mortal life and rise into Slaaneshs service could be followed in the Sigmar trilogy. Probably more the second book where Norsca/Chaos is the threat, but he should also be around in the first book, laying the groundwork for his betrayal.

Last published as an Omnibus: https://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/warhammer-chronicles-the-legend-of-sigmar-ebook.html

Azazel also was around for The Endtimes,

but lost to Sigmar and got send back into the Realm of Chaos.

For Total War Warhammer, Azazel might be a solid DoC LL option since the only other candidate (besides N'kari) is "just" the Masque. His temptation power could maybe even be a interesting special mechanic for ingame battle (like temporarily take control for XX seconds of a targeted unit) or campaign mechanic (like having a goal of corrupting some AI NPC faction leaders and their troops to join your forces).
Since he is a Daemon Prince and he started his life as mortal, there is also a chance he could rather become a WoC LL (5th & 6th were also rather the mixed bags, even if his 5th edition rules specify the Demonic retinue). But I assume that for WoC, CA has enough other picks. For DoC, they are rather limited if they don't want to invent own chars again. Time will tell if CA does even consider him.

Similar Topics
Champions of Undivided

Champions of Khorne

Champions of Tzeentch

Champions of Nurgle

Champions of Slaanesh

------Red Dox
Post edited by Red_Dox on

Comments

• makar55makar55 Registered Users Posts: 2,955
    He looks like corrupted version of chad meme.

Also I think he looks uninspiring, happily there are tons of other guys to pick up for chaos champion slot.

• MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,951
    He is one of my favourites. I wish to see Azazel capable of seducing enemy heroes and lords into joining his ranks permanently.
  • Neodeinos#5871Neodeinos#5871 Registered Users Posts: 15,601
    I'm really hoping to see Azazel at some point for a Slaanesh faction. Anything is cooler than the Masque of Slaanesh.

• HeresyHoundHeresyHound Registered Users Posts: 8,285
    neodeinos said:

I'm really hoping to see Azazel at some point for a Slaanesh faction. Anything is cooler than the Masque of Slaanesh.

Too bad that by 8th edtion all that remained of Slaaneshi characters was the Masque and Sigvald. So many fun characters left in the dust.
    makar55 said:

He looks like corrupted version of chad meme.

Also I think he looks uninspiring, happily there are tons of other guys to pick up for chaos champion slot.

Great I can't unsee that
  • Neodeinos#5871Neodeinos#5871 Registered Users Posts: 15,601

neodeinos said:

Too bad that by 8th edtion all that remained of Slaaneshi characters was the Masque and Sigvald. So many fun characters left in the dust.

Yeah I know, I really dislike him but that's the one we'll most likely get. I'd say N'kari is pretty damn likely though as she was hinted at in the Vortex campaign many times.

neodeinos said:

neodeinos said:

Yeah I know, I really dislike him but that's the one we'll most likely get. I'd say N'kari is pretty damn likely though as she was hinted at in the Vortex campaign many times.
    I'm certain we will get N'kari

I pray we get Azazel and Dechala
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,277
    edited August 2020
    makar55 said:

... happily there are tons of other guys to pick up for chaos champion slot.

For Daemons of Chaos, eyeballing the Slaanesh side of things,

it is literally one: The Masque, a Herald.
    While we can assume that we might get N'kari as Keeper of Secrets, he never had a miniature or rules. And for all we know CA can just use N'kari as a shadowy figure for cutscenes while the Masque or somebody else has to do the actual campaign heavy lifting. So after the Masque, the second best thing for DoC is Azazel.

Warriors of Chaos

are another topic but if we boil it down for them to armybook only choices in service of Slaanesh, that would also come down to Sigvald, Azazel or Dechala. Of course with Sigvald already having a WoC spot, Dechalas chances are not that good. And when we would have to choose two of the three for WoC, Azazel is the obvious candidate as the only demon to rather go to the DoC side.

------Red Dox
  • MagicspookMagicspook Registered Users Posts: 942
    For someone who is supposed to posses unearthly beauty, that mini is pretty hideous.
  • makar55makar55 Registered Users Posts: 2,955
    Red_Dox said:

makar55 said:

... happily there are tons of other guys to pick up for chaos champion slot.

For Daemons of Chaos, eyeballing the Slaanesh side of things,

it is literally one: The Masque, a Herald.
    While we can assume that we might get N'kari as Keeper of Secrets, he never had a miniature or rules. And for all we know CA can just use N'kari as a shadowy figure for cutscenes while the Masque or somebody else has to do the actual campaign heavy lifting. So after the Masque, the second best thing for DoC is Azazel.

Warriors of Chaos

are another topic but if we boil it down for them to armybook only choices in service of Slaanesh, that would also come down to Sigvald, Azazel or Dechala. Of course with Sigvald already having a WoC spot, Dechalas chances are not that good. And when we would have to choose two of the three for WoC, Azazel is the obvious candidate as the only demon to rather go to the DoC side.

------Red Dox
    I was referring to mortal champions, each of Chaos Gods has ton of em in lore. As for cow-looking guys that's true, they're limited.
  • ZekerathZekerath Registered Users Posts: 745
    Ingr8 said:

Um, how does this work?

and...

A bit of a disconnect maybe?

Who was he up against in the beauty contest? This guy?

I imagine average Empire citizens aren't easy on the eyes themselves, with poor hygiene and lack of medical care.
    edited August 2020
    Ingr8 said:

Um, how does this work?

Same way that Daemonettes or other Slaanesh things are considered unearthly beautiful and tempting.

Don't question the magic.

Also keep in mind that this is a miniature out of the early '90es

and this were the generic Daemon Prince choices then ^^

Not that the current plastic one is actually better...

------Red Dox

Post edited by Red_Dox on
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 9,582
    Red_Dox said:

While we can assume that we might get N'kari as Keeper of Secrets, he never had a miniature or rules.

We already had LLs like that. After all, if the other 3 DoC subfactions will have Greater Daemons as lords then N'Kari is the obvious choice.
    SerPus said:

Red_Dox said:

While we can assume that we might get N'kari as Keeper of Secrets, he never had a miniature or rules.

We already had LLs like that. After all, if the other 3 DoC subfactions will have Greater Daemons as lords then N'Kari is the obvious choice.
    Yeah I really doubt we would get Ku'gath, Skarbrand, Kairos and ....... athe Masque. N'kari or bust.
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Registered Users Posts: 4,227
    edited August 2020
    Ingr8 said:

Um, how does this work?

and...

A bit of a disconnect maybe?

Who was he up against in the beauty contest? This guy?

Deamons of Slaneesh have a magical, very unearthly beauty. Small plastic and metal figures don't have quite the same magical abilities, so we can't see it.
  • IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 5,740
    neodeinos said:

She looks cool!
    *Justice, cats and CONFEDERATION ENABLED for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast! feat mummies and Apophas.
    *Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo
    *Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!
    *Ogre Kingdoms core race or death!
    *Bring back settlement conquering artworks!
    *Gnoblar Carpet for Greesus
    *Improve UI

• IamNotArobotIamNotArobot Registered Users Posts: 5,740
    All names that end with EL usually have a biblical reference, in this case Azazel and "not touching the ground" makes a reference to the "super anges" who have 6 wings:

2 to cover their eyes from seeing God.

2 to fly

2 to step on them in order to not touch sacred ground (they never touch the ground)

Whit his beauty and all, I think he's supposed to be an angel.
    *Justice, cats and CONFEDERATION ENABLED for the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast! feat mummies and Apophas.
    *Exclusive DLCs for Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, BM, CW and WE! #DLCsAreRacesToo
    *Remaster all WH1 and WH2 faction icons for WH3!
    *Ogre Kingdoms core race or death!
    *Bring back settlement conquering artworks!
    *Gnoblar Carpet for Greesus
    *Improve UI

All names that end with EL usually have a biblical reference, in this case Azazel and "not touching the ground" makes a reference to the "super anges" who have 6 wings:

2 to fly

2 to step on them in order to not touch sacred ground (they never touch the ground)

No Azazel is the name of an individual who is usually portrayed as a fallen angel or demon.

Seraphim are the classification of angel with 6 wings unless I am mistaken
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 6,078

2 to fly

No Azazel is the name of an individual who is usually portrayed as a fallen angel or demon.

This is correct. Seraphim and Cherubim are two named 'kinds' of angels, but there are many, many more that are not named as indicated in scripture. (Fun fact: angels in reality are eldritch beings that make the ideas of Lovecraft and Escher seem mundane in comparison, and are so awe inspiring and terrifying that humans fall down in worship before them, upon which they immediately reprimand you for idolatry of course.) No demon apart from Lucifer is directly named in the Bible, unless you count Legion and the names of pagan deities; Azazel is the word used to refer to demons residing in the desert as described in Leviticus 16, but as a direct name it comes from extrabiblical sources and legends, similar to the tale of Lillith.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Warhammer Deserves Naval Battles

Wyvax said:

2 to fly

This is correct. Seraphim and Cherubim are two named 'kinds' of angels, but there are many, many more that are not named as indicated in scripture. (Fun fact: angels in reality are eldritch beings that make the ideas of Lovecraft and Escher seem mundane in comparison, and are so awe inspiring and terrifying that humans fall down in worship before them, upon which they immediately reprimand you for idolatry of course.) No demon apart from Lucifer is directly named in the Bible, unless you count Legion and the names of pagan deities; Azazel is the word used to refer to demons residing in the desert as described in Leviticus 16, but as a direct name it comes from extrabiblical sources and legends, similar to the tale of Lillith.
    I thought Azazel was named as a fallen angel in the Book of Enoch, though it is an apocryphal book.
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 6,078

Wyvax said:

2 to fly

I thought Azazel was named as a fallen angel in the Book of Enoch, though it is an apocryphal book.
    The Apocrypha is what used to be known in Christianity as the Deuterocanon, non canonical writings that were considered beneficial for learning due to their historical, moral and philosophical merits. The Jews from antiquity up until today have never accepted them as scripture due to either the lack of a bona fide prophet penning them, or in the case of some, errors that contradict established scripture. Christ Himself affirmed the boundaries of OT canon as the law, the prophets and the writings, which is in line with Jewish thought. There is a couple instances were the Apocryphal books are alluded too in NT letters, notably in the epistle of Jude, but they are never treated with the same authority by the authors as when the tanakh is quoted. Of note the Apocrypha was only ever dubbed "canon" at the Council of Trent in 1545-1563, which was a deliberate (and rather political) action by the Catholic church as part of the Counter-Reformation.

The Book of Enoch is certainly something else. When all we know about him from scripture is that God took him up to heaven bodily, like He later did Elijah, it's pretty impressive how many folktales can spring up around the mysterious saint. That however means that if Azazel does pops ups as a named demon in the apocrypha, whether in Enoch or elsewhere, he's ultimately on the same level of authenticity as Moroni in a certain 19th century con-man's holy writ, and both are about as beneficial for theological understanding of scripture as Warhammer's cosmology in that regard. With all of that said however, Maccabees is definitely on my reading list for it's historical merit.

ON TOPIC: Kinda hoping we see N'kari, the Masque and Azazel each. One for core, one a FLC and one a DLC.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Warhammer Deserves Naval Battles

• SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,232
    I really hope he appears as a lord, btw as far as I remember slaanesh demons have a magical aura that makes them beautiful looking if you go too close.

"Daemonettes are shrouded in a hypnotic glamour, seditious magics that bestow their repulsive features with perverse beauty. None can say what unearthly delights a Daemonette is believed to pleasure the soul with but, upon the reeking field of battle, pain is the gift they bring."
    Yesterday N'kari for TWW3, today a glimpse for Azazel in Chaos & Conquest.

-----Red Dox
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 7,472
    Red_Dox said:

-----Red Dox

Thing is, wasn't Azazel described as being beautiful, second only to Slaanesh itself?

I can understand him looking pig ugly in the miniature, because it's a miniature and GW never have got faces quite right up until recently, but the artwork never quite seems to capture that either.
    For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.
    Arsenic said:

Thing is, wasn't Azazel described as being beautiful, second only to Slaanesh itself?

I can understand him looking pig ugly in the miniature, because it's a miniature and GW never have got faces quite right up until recently, but the artwork never quite seems to capture that either.

------Red Dox
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,951
    Arsenic said:

Red_Dox said:

-----Red Dox

Makes me think of a silly mask.
    Red_Dox said:

-----Red Dox

I'm fairly certain Azazel, The Masque, and Dechala are all pretty much locked in for TWW3 sooner or later
  • Ariel#4992Ariel#4992 Registered Users Posts: 2,368

Red_Dox said:

-----Red Dox

I'm fairly certain Azazel, The Masque, and Dechala are all pretty much locked in for TWW3 sooner or later
    I hope so, Azazel and Dechala are great characters.

The final rose has faded,
    The eaves will sing no more;
    The waxen ground will keep you bound,
    Death-pale until the thaw.
    Then she placed the rest of Orion's ashes into the bowl and turned to face the Oak of Ages.
    I used to go by many names here. Crazycrix, Dubinekdubajs, Yrellian and finally Ariel, one of my favourite characters in the setting. Still waiting for Finubar and Naieth!
    Yrellian said:

Red_Dox said:

-----Red Dox

I hope so, Azazel and Dechala are great characters.
    Yeah those two are cool and The Masque is perfect FLC fodder. I genuinely don't know anyone who REALLY like the Masque.
  • TheWattman#7460TheWattman#7460 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,576
    Tertiary FLC Daemon behind N'kari and Masque I say, along with the mortal side of Sigvald, Dechala and Styrkaar

Styrkaar

I vote we replace Sigvald with Styrkaar for WoC and let Sigvald go to Slaanesh. Let Archaon have his 4 lieutenants and let Slaanesh's important character be with Slaanesh.