Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

I miss the old games

TeleperformTeleperform Registered Users Posts: 6
I am new to this site, but very experienced in Total War. The trouble is that I miss the old games.

Rome had some silly features such as armies unable to move through a mountain pass because a diplomat was blocking the way, but on the whole it as a fun game.

Empire had an unfortunate tendency to crash to desktop, but on the whole it was a fun game.

The most recent game I tried was Britannia, and I hated it. It took too long to load, and was way too hard in the early stages - even on the easiest setting.

I can no longer play Empire as Steam no longer works with MS Vista. I still have the old PC on which I played Rome, but I am not sure I want to pay to get it fixed just so I can play an old game.

What surprises me though is that people are still loading video gameplay from the older games onto YouTube, and I have recently found myself watching a Rome (not Rome2) game posted in 2017.

I do not like fantasy settings, and so would never play a WarHammer game. I would like a nice historical empire building game in the manner of the early games.

Comments

• dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 22,373
    I suggest you get the games from Steam, on whatever you have to play with. If you are still using Vista you will definitely have a problem now matter what you try.

Operating system update is your friend.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• virginia1861virginia1861 Registered Users Posts: 297

I am new to this site, but very experienced in Total War. The trouble is that I miss the old games.

Rome had some silly features such as armies unable to move through a mountain pass because a diplomat was blocking the way, but on the whole it as a fun game.

Empire had an unfortunate tendency to crash to desktop, but on the whole it was a fun game.

The most recent game I tried was Britannia, and I hated it. It took too long to load, and was way too hard in the early stages - even on the easiest setting.

I can no longer play Empire as Steam no longer works with MS Vista. I still have the old PC on which I played Rome, but I am not sure I want to pay to get it fixed just so I can play an old game.

What surprises me though is that people are still loading video gameplay from the older games onto YouTube, and I have recently found myself watching a Rome (not Rome2) game posted in 2017.

I do not like fantasy settings, and so would never play a WarHammer game. I would like a nice historical empire building game in the manner of the early games.

I only play the old games. After some 2 i stopped paying money for TW games. Empire was a great game besides the crashing. Medieval 2 is still my favorite followed by med 1. I still play them. Just finished a hotseat MP campighn with med 2. The newer games are no longer strategy but rts, no fun imo but many do enjoy them it appears. I have now found new companies whos games i buy. I only check in to tw once in awhile to see if they do a middle earth tw.
  • tadakatsutadakatsu Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 791

I only play the old games. After some 2 i stopped paying money for TW games. Empire was a great game besides the crashing. Medieval 2 is still my favorite followed by med 1. I still play them. Just finished a hotseat MP campighn with med 2. The newer games are no longer strategy but rts, no fun imo but many do enjoy them it appears. I have now found new companies whos games i buy. I only check in to tw once in awhile to see if they do a middle earth tw.
    "no longer strategy but rts"? that makes no sense strategy is in the words rts lol. also idk how any1 could possibly think the newer games dont involve strategy. all total war games ever made have strategy the real issue is programming ai to be good enough to make the player have to use strategy consistently.
    tadakatsu said:

"no longer strategy but rts"? that makes no sense strategy is in the words rts lol. also idk how any1 could possibly think the newer games dont involve strategy. all total war games ever made have strategy the real issue is programming ai to be good enough to make the player have to use strategy consistently.

not to us old war gamers or those who played the earlier tw games. Today yes tw ts and it is called "strategy" but it is clickfest arcade style warfare.

if you are interested i would love to share some of the strategy games i play, none are rts, but some are real time.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,917
    I love it when people claim how deep the older games were as if they were some sort optimal strategy experience.

I’ve been here since Shogun 1 and just find the older games limited.
    edited September 2020

tadakatsu said:

not to us old war gamers or those who played the earlier tw games. Today yes tw ts and it is called "strategy" but it is clickfest arcade style warfare.

if you are interested i would love to share some of the strategy games i play, none are rts, but some are real time.
    ive been here since shogun 1 and the older games didnt have any more strategy in battles and had less strategy in campaign. ps i guess you dont remember how busted chariots were in rome 1? where was the strategy there? also if i recall you had 2 choices in campaign upgrading to a city or a castle thats it as you could build every building for whichever choice you went with. another thing is it makes me laugh that you seem to think i dont know what strategy is. ive played every strategy game under the sun its all i ever play
  • TeleperformTeleperform Registered Users Posts: 6
    I have tried loading Empire to my (Windows 10) laptop, but there is a problem with Steam.

I love it when people claim how deep the older games were as if they were some sort optimal strategy experience.

I love it when the newer players claim the older games are more shallow.

I've been here since med 1
    tadakatsu said:

tadakatsu said:

ive been here since shogun 1 and the older games didnt have any more strategy in battles and had less strategy in campaign. ps i guess you dont remember how busted chariots were in rome 1? where was the strategy there? also if i recall you had 2 choices in campaign upgrading to a city or a castle thats it as you could build every building for whichever choice you went with. another thing is it makes me laugh that you seem to think i dont know what strategy is. ive played every strategy game under the sun its all i ever play

Your fantasy world I am sure seems real to you. i chose not to enter into your darkness. Back in reality, I will continue to play in-depth strategy games. that is till lotr tw or med 3 come out. then i likely will play rts once more.
    edited September 2020

ive been here since shogun 1 which was their first ever game..... and yes the older games were more shallow and the ai was garbage. even the guy you replied to said he was here since shogun 1 so mate he isnt a newer player you are newer than he is lol

tadakatsu said:

tadakatsu said:

Your fantasy world I am sure seems real to you. i chose not to enter into your darkness. Back in reality, I will continue to play in-depth strategy games. that is till lotr tw or med 3 come out. then i likely will play rts once more.
    i can tell you are a troll considering i give you facts and you call facts a fantasy world lol. im willing to bet you never even played med 2. it took 0 strategy i always play on the hardest difficulty and in med 2 easily beat the game in 50 turns. and in rome 1 even less with chariot spam being busted. oh btw another reason i know you are a troll is cause earlier you said you play strategy that are not rts but some are real time...... you do realize the literally definition of rts is "real time strategy" right?
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 39,953
    edited September 2020
    Just to point out that strategy refers to the campaign map rather than battles where tactics are applied.
    If the campaign requires more clicking it's likely because it has become more sophisticated.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png

I’ve been here since Shogun 1.. what’s this ‘new player’ nonsense?
    tadakatsu said:

tadakatsu said:

tadakatsu said:

i can tell you are a troll considering i give you facts and you call facts a fantasy world lol. im willing to bet you never even played med 2. it took 0 strategy i always play on the hardest difficulty and in med 2 easily beat the game in 50 turns. and in rome 1 even less with chariot spam being busted. oh btw another reason i know you are a troll is cause earlier you said you play strategy that are not rts but some are real time...... you do realize the literally definition of rts is "real time strategy" right?
    I would blame that on the horrible ai. many mods like SS did very well with the ai. but I should clarify, i play aginst humans not cpu in hotseat mode.

rts and strategy you say are the same, they even have the word "strategy" so they must be. Tell me, ageod, are they strategy? they are not rts yet a world away more in depth and strategic then tw.

tadakatsu said:

tadakatsu said:

tadakatsu said:

I would blame that on the horrible ai. many mods like SS did very well with the ai. but I should clarify, i play aginst humans not cpu in hotseat mode.

rts and strategy you say are the same, they even have the word "strategy" so they must be. Tell me, ageod, are they strategy? they are not rts yet a world away more in depth and strategic then tw.

for the record i play multiplayer campaigns/battles on every total war game starting with shogun 2 and ive never lost a game i know very well what strategy is and how to use it. also i did not say strategy and rts is the same as you can have strategy without it being real time such as turn based games like the civilization series for example. "if you are interested i would love to share some of the strategy games i play, none are rts, but some are real time. " that is what you said and i was referring to a game being real time and strategy is literally what an rts is but you said its not rts which makes 0 logical sense. also units being poorly balanced has nothing to do with the ai but whatever floats your boat. also having 2 choices in what type of upgrade you want whether its city or a castle also has nothing to do with bad ai. but you can keep on thinking you know what an rts is trying to claim us "newer" players dont when in reality us "newer" players are older than you considering shogun 1 was the first game they made lol
    RTS simply means real time strategy so it’s a sub genre of a strategy game. Battles have always been rts, since Shogun 1, while the campaign is turn based.. not RTS.

Using the term RTS to describe newer games compared to older games is mind boggling.
  • TheGreatPamphletTheGreatPamphlet Registered Users Posts: 1,178
    Still playing R1 vanilla and I can't remember chariots being anywhere near over-powered. They were good against isolated light infantry and cavalry, but in all the other cases, they were only useful for disrupting formations.

Anyway, older games had features like distance-from-capital, individual taxation, population, unlimited armies and building slots, height factors, marshes, tall grass and etc., all of which arguably added to both strategy and tactics.

Just to point out that strategy refers to the campaign map rather than battles where tactics are applied.
    If the campaign requires more clicking it's likely because it has become more sophisticated.

Not necessarily. Most clicking nowadays is spamming special abilities, but that hardly adds to any sophistication, in my book.
    Nestor.

Allah, Suriya, Bashar w Bas!

Still playing R1 vanilla and I can't remember chariots being anywhere near over-powered. They were good against isolated light infantry and cavalry, but in all the other cases, they were only useful for disrupting formations.

Anyway, older games had features like distance-from-capital, individual taxation, population, unlimited armies and building slots, height factors, marshes, tall grass and etc., all of which arguably added to both strategy and tactics.

Not necessarily. Most clicking nowadays is spamming special abilities, but that hardly adds to any sophistication, in my book.
    I think he was pointing out the differences between the campaign map (strategy) and the battle map (tactics), he wasn't discussing any 'qualities' of either.

Older games have unique features and newer games have features older games didn't. Height factors still exist in modern games, the only difference is archers don't get a range bonus as this caused tedious tactics which CA changed after pressure from the fans. There are also bonuses and debuffs for different types of ground, I'm also not sure how big a difference having minor addons like distance from capital debuffs will do to the modern game.. almost none I imagine. Other things were removed due to a group of fans just noting that it's negative effects outweighed any so called strategic benefit.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 39,953

Most special abilities are used in battle,not campaign, and are tactical rather than strategic.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png

in fact it ruins it. winning becomes clicking the correct magic button enough times.