So I totally jumped off the deep end when I picked up Troy. Ive played it almost exclusively since launch. Its a great game thats dripping in style and flavour, and I think it has immense potential to leave a lasting legacy.
Ive noted a few gripes that could be addressed in future patching efforts. Ive been following this forum, so I definitely know that Im not the only one to say this.
I literally created an Access account just to pass on these points. Also, this is written on my phone so please excuse typos.
1. Chariots are broken.
2. Unit collision doesnt work well.
3. Game becomes Whack A Mole after turn 40. It is impossible to defend your territory and you end up being attacked from all sides. Recommend adjusting defensibility of provinces to require sieging of capital before outlying regions.
4. AI doesnt take military alliances or vassals into account when declaring war. Midgame, around turn 60, ends up being a giant war with EVERYONE.
5. AI Troy always invades mainland Greece and this doesnt feel right.
6. Homeric victory conditions dont feel fun. Agamemnons requires influence in Anatolia which isnt fun. Hector needs to paint the map which also isnt fun.
7. AI Agent Spam is annoying.
8. Its annoying to have the enemy raze one of your settlements, then havr a neutral colonize it, and deprive you of a complete province. Perhaps the ability to claim land would be useful to prevent.
9. Gods are too powerful. I would be happy to see combat bonuses removed from gods, since they are so powerful and ease of acquisition influeces army composition. I find myself picking spears simply because Athenas bonuses are so accessible.
10. Remove unit bonuses from royal decrees. I dont like how it changes the balance of power. Unit cost and upkeep can remain, but +18% attack should not.
11. Increase battle length by 25% to 40%. I find that my battles are over before I have a chance to manoeuvre. This isnt fun. Combat is slow, and no brawl should be over in 3 minutes. Speedy combat robs us of the ability to manoeuvre and react and incentivizes aggressive deployment too much.
12. Change supply lines to affect bronze and food equally and reduce to 10% per army.
13. Seriously remove mid game whack a mole. Its no fun to keep chasing enemy armies all over the map while they raze your settlements which arent defendible due to supply line penalties. This can be fixed by making settlements harder to conquer, or by reducing freedom of movement.
14. Eliminate AI Trade Request spam.
15. New maps needed. I LOVE the complex terrain in the maps. They are sexy and require tactical thinking to assess likely avenues of advance. But, some open flat maps would be fun as well.
16. Fix Trojan doomstack. Doomstack is too powerful. The difficulty of taking Troy should come from a garrison.
17. Increase baseline resource trickle. Its frustrating to have to seek out and conquer 1 of each type of province. This would make Tall Play easier and more fun.
18. Eliminate some AI bonuses. Single province AIs should not be fielding 20 x company stacks.
19. Restrict naval movement to several lanes either by a hard restriction or by SIGNIFICANTLY increasing attrition. By forcing both sides to cross the sea at the same points a lot of the whack a mole of midgame can be avoided, and epic battles are encouraged. This would remove some of the frustration of playing undefensible Mycenae.
20. Make it more costly, difficult, or take longer to disengage from melee. Once a unit is decisively engaged, I should have trouble pulling it out to retask. This change would be fun because it would incentivize me to keep a reserve (like real life) and more closely consider how I assign tasks initially. I feel like there is no penalty for dynamically retasking in the middle of the battlefield which hurts immersion and complexity.
21. Seriously reduce AI war spam. Ill say it again; it is annoying to always be at war with people who I shouldnt be. Neutral powers should be more neutral and require more of an effort to sway. Right now, neutral powers are randomly willing to ally with me, or randomly declare war on me. It doesnt feel like there is player agency in this. Reducing warmongering of neutral powers would also bring the focus back to the Trojan War.
22. Make the battle of Troy more exciting. Its an incredible let down as it is.
23. Slightly tune down ranged damage. It is a little overtuned at the moment, especially when firing over the heads of friendly troops.
24. Light/Medium/Heavy allocation seems arbitrary and makes no sense.
25. Add a "ranged mode" option for units with secondary ranged weapons like Club Warriors. Maybe Im just blind because I dont see it.
Overall, great work on this game and thank-you for giving it to me for free. Its slowly consuming my life hahah. Youve made me into a Total War fan! I cant wait to see where you take the game next.