Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Daemons of Chaos: Slaanesh

Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 3,566
edited October 5 in General Discussion
Originally the idea was just to cover the various edition miniatures with a visual guide since sometimes people seem to struggle with older designs or even worse, think that AoS designs are the "go to" source for what CA should do. Even if CA clearly laid out that WHFB 8th edition is ground zero (and we also can see in the recent Chaos & Conquest game that the 8th edition designs hold up). But since the edition stuff was already the most work and I found a lot of stuff while lurking around to find the desired pictures, I just thought I could also cover the rest. And maybe a few extras.

And yes, as the topic title should already give away, it is about immortal Daemons

and not mortal Chaos or mixed hordes. And specifically a single god in particular. So Sigvald has no place here. No Hellstriders or Slaangors. This is DoC territory and this topic belongs to only one god (1of4).

Slaanesh is the Lord of Pleasure, the Power of Chaos dedicated to the pursuit of hedonistic pleasures and the overthrow of all codes of decent behaviour. He reigns in a vast and luxuriously appointed palace in the void, where favoured followers litter the floors, indulging themselves in all forms of perverse pleasures of the flesh.

Slaanesh takes the form of a bisexual humanoid, male on the left side and female on the right, with an unearthly, unnatural and almost disturbing beauty. Two pairs of horns rise from his flowing golden hair, and he dresses in a mail shirt fringed with velvet. His right hand holds the magical jade sceptre which is his greatest treasure.

Slaanesh has a neutral attitude to many of the gods of Chaos, and is generally too caught up in his own pleasures to be interested in alliances and co-operation. Particular enemies are the followers of Khorne, whose belief in pain and death is completely opposed to Slaanesh's principle of a life of unrestricted pleasure.

Six is regarded as the number of Slaanesh, and this is reflected in many small and large things by his followers. For example, secret worshippers of Slaanesh will always meet in groups of six (or some multiple of it). The Daemonettes, the Lesser Daemons of Slaanesh, often fight in units of six as well.

Realm of Chaos - Slaves to Darkness 3rd

AoS

Realm of Chaos 5th

Daemons of Chaos 7th

Warriors of Chaos 8th

Special Characters
Azazel

Masque of Slaanesh
7th/8th WHFB

Lore: https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Masque_of_Slaanesh

New AoS miniature (now with four arms)

Chaos & Conquest design

N'kari
No miniature, no rules. Just lore mentionings. We had this artwork (High Elves 6th) and someone making a Golden Demon diorama out of it

In 8th edition Daemons of Chaos armybook this picture was around the N'kari story. But showcasing him or just a random KoS is open to interpretation.

Ironicly he had rules in 40k (Codex Chaos 2nd edition), were I first learned about him back in my 40k youth ;)

If CA wants a Keeper of Secrets as LL, N'kari is the logical choice since he has at least more then a footnote in WHFB lore and he would be a good enemy for Tyrion & Teclis. Again. Since the TWW epilogues also mentioned him at two different occasions, we can safely assume that CA has indeed plans for him. We just don't know if that includes him to being playable or just being a cutscene reference in game#3.

N'kari was a boss in Warhammer Online:Age of Reckoning, but they used the generic Forgeworld KoS.

Lords
Keeper of Secrets
3rd edition (1987)

5 different head variants: http://www.solegends.com/citcat1991b/cat1991bp247rcksecrets-00.htm

4th+ edition (1992)

Second head variant came around 6th edition.

Forgeworld

At the end of 8th edition, the Bloodthirster had his basic version, two pimped up versions and then there was the Exalted Storm of Magic variant. So 4 different types, while the other three gods had just the basic + exalted options. We can easily assume that all Greater Daemons would have gotten the Bloodthirster treatment if the world would have continued.
For TWW we can expect a basic Lord variant for sure. if there might be different strength variants, who knows. Hopefully we also get at least a "feral" Greater daemon each, so we can doomstack them against Dragons. of course there should be some limitations since those things are quite powerful and just get worse with Exalted ones, but again: Since feral dragons or other big monsters are around in the dozens, greater Daemons as the highlight of Daemons should get a spotlight too.

Warmaster

AoS (2020)

Chaos & Conquest

Chaosbane

40k Epic

Daemon Prince

Chaos & Conquest

Heroes
Herald
7th edition (2006)

In the "Storm of Chaos" Daemon list, heralds were able to buy a monstrous cav Steed of Slaanesh (Boobworm; see Pleasureseekers).

While in later 7th+8th armybooks, the herald was reduced to a "normal" Steed of Slaanesh. I would see no problem for CA to include a normal steed and a monstrous beast variant, besides the chariot options.

AoS

Chaos & Conquest design

Core
Daemonettes
3rd edition (1987)

4edition (1992)

6th edition (2000)

7th edition (2006)

"Alluress" could probably become a new unit. If we look at the Chariot crews with their whips, a Daemonette unit similar to DE Sisters of Slaughters should also not be to far fetched. If CA wants to go an extra mile they could for example cooperate the 4th edition Daemonettes as "higher tier" unit, since bigger claws might do more dmg ;) In theory we could get 2-3 different Daemonette tier units to flex up the mono-roster here.

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

Sanctus Reach - Horrors of the Warp

Chaos & Conquest

Imps

From WFRP. Doubtful it might something useful come out of it, since CA does not do swarms. And besides some kind of swarm unit I see no possibilities.

Special
Seekers of Slaanesh
3rd edition (1987)

4edition (1992)

6th edition (2000)

7th edition (2006)

Pleasureseekers

Were the monstrous cavalry unit for Slaanesh included in the 6th edtition "Storm of Chaos" list. In 7th+8th they vanished and not even the Herald is allowed a boobworm mount (while strangely enough the mortal champions still ride around boobworms even in AoS).

Interestingly in "Chaos & Conquest", the boobworm is a single "low tier" unit choice.

So for TWW purposes both choices ("feral" Serpents and Pleasureseekers) could inflate the Daemon roster if needed. And since Khorne has Bloodcrushers and Nurgle has Plaguedrones, I see no reason why Slaanesh should not get monstrous cav again as well.

Fiends of Slaanesh
3rd edition (1987)

4edition (1992)

7th edition (2006)

AoS (2019)

Chaosbane

Chaos & Conquest

Seeker Chariot of Slaanesh

First around in 6th during "Storm of Chaos" but with no miniature, so sparking conversions.

7th edition then came a plastic kit.

Chaos Furies

Were introduced in 6th edition and replaced the Harpies, which were used in earlier editions Chaos armies for the same job.

AoS

Mark of Chaos

Rare
Exalted Seeker Chariot of Slaanesh

While the normal chariot has 2 crew+2 steeds, the exalted variant has 3 Daemonettes crew + a exalted Alluress and 4 steeds.

Hellflayer of Slaanesh

Soul Grinder

While most of us instinctivly dislike this 40k abomination it will happen and sadly it can play a vital role in the army as melee monster and/or mobile weapon platform. The different warmachine upgrades and god-marks might also result in several variations for the armyroster, which also could get visual style differences.

40k Sanctus Reach

TT players had a lot of ideas to convert the Soulgrinder so maybe CA might be able to pick up some of the ideas to streamline the design for TWW. But I would not bet on it.

A personal favourite design for Slaanesh was the one going to imitate the Fiends http://castigatorschaos.blogspot.com/2015/09/soulfiend-slaanesh-soulgrinder-wip.html

Chaos Spawns

They are not included in 7th or 8th edition armybooks. Probably because they have rather a "mortal" vibe. BUT they were part of the daemon list in 6th "Ravening Hordes", so a case for them can be made. And we have literally this piece of lore (6th "Hordes of Chaos")

which bluntly says that Fiends of Slaanesh and Beasts of Nurgle would be already Chaos Spawns. So two gods done, and the other two have their mentioned Bloodbeasts and Firewyrms (never had miniatures).

Chaosbane

Chaos & Conquest

This, or the Chaosbane approach, look pretty decent and could offer a new monstrous infantry choice towards the roster.

Giant Chaos Spawn

Forgeworld had a giant monster version Spawn, so if we are already on the fence for the smaller ones (see Chaos Spawns), the bigger one of course is the logical next step. And, his early Forgeworld rules made him available for all three Chaos armybooks anyway. The Storm of Magic rules also handed out god dedication for them.

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

had a own design for a Slaanesh Fiend. https://wiki.returnofreckoning.com/index.php/Fiend_of_Slaanesh
Which due to its design and size could kinda be approrpriate for the monster sized "Giant Spawn" version.

Giant Spined Chaos Beast

Also questionable for a pure demonic race, but the Spined Beast was same as the Giant Chaos Spawn available for all Chaos armies.
And the later Storm of Magic rules, did allow god dedication.

So, that was that for Slaanesh. As hopefully people could also see, a DoC monogod faction is not impossible. We can check pretty much all boxes (cav, inf, monstrous cav/inf, monsters) and even when CA would have to do some extra legwork we saw they could do it (Norsca Vampire Coast). Will they do it? That is the unknown here. I still assume the main approach might be Undivided (so three more gods with an equal ammount of troops) same as the armybook and monogod could then come later with FLC or DLC. We probably will first learn more here when game#3 will be actually announced and until then, the endless discussion if monogod mixed or monogod split after armybooks, continues ;)

Related topics
Champion of Undivided: Be'lakor
Dark Elves: Cult of Slaanesh

------Red Dox
Post edited by Red_Dox on

Comments

• neodeinosneodeinos Registered Users Posts: 6,284
    I really dig the Warhammer Online artwork of the Daemonettes.
  • Theo91Theo91 Registered Users Posts: 1,838
    Nice thread 👍
  • GoatforceGoatforce Registered Users Posts: 4,719
    I really hope we get the new KoS, maybe with the FW one as an Exalted KoS, but the AoS one is imo the best.
  • Red_DoxRed_Dox Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,566
    edited September 12
    And since I have some leftovers for general amusement.
    Image Removed.

Artwork

Miniatures

Slaanesh Chaos Furies conversions

Other stuff

------Red Dox
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,636
    need 6th or warhammer online daemonettes,the new ones look like garbage.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,478
    Diazmonettes are life.
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,294
    Oh boy new units for the Wood Elves. :D
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• _Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Yeah steange that GW made no official winged demonettes variants with pleasureseeker bodies.
  • lucibuislucibuis Registered Users Posts: 4,143
    Demons look so boring, all the same... should be all 1 faction
  • neodeinosneodeinos Registered Users Posts: 6,284
    lucibuis said:

Have you thought checking your eyesight ?
  • brahimivksbrahimivks Registered Users Posts: 39
    edited September 9
    lucibuis said:

Image removed.
    Post edited by dge1 on
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 21,119
    Wonderful thread mr Dox.
    Thanks CA for working with Epic Games to give us Troy for free!
  • FungusHoundFungusHound Registered Users Posts: 3,245
    @Red_Dox I kinda hate you for showing me that fiend from WO. I really want that thing as a single entity monster....

Also I really hope we can get the boob snakes back. I was always sad they screwed over Slaanesh and not in a fun way.

The imps are unfortunately not going to happen, but I was always a little miffed the other gods never had a Nurgling equivalent.

Also am I the only one who thinks the old Furies are SOOOOOO much better than the beard devil Furies. I wouldn't mind if the AoS furies had been a different undivided Daemon like Daemon Brutes but oh well.

Anyways great work Red_Dox as usual
  • Polar_IceCreamPolar_IceCream Registered Users Posts: 66
    Enjoyed the thread my dude 👍🏻
  • DEM0N_LLAMADEM0N_LLAMA Registered Users Posts: 593
    Nice work!

I really hope CA does mix of 6th/8th edition stuff. Aesthetically there is some cool stuff in each edition and same goes for units.

• Arthas_MenethilArthas_Menethil Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,294
    lucibuis said:

Don't worry Luci the units Red_Dox has posted will make fantastic units for the Wood Elves by making it more diverse. By adding another group of people to the Wood Elves then yet more boring Elves or boring trees.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Registered Users Posts: 2,574

need 6th or warhammer online daemonettes,the new ones look like garbage.

I think the new ones are better, they look more thoroughly deamonic. Either way CA are 100% guaranteed to use the new ones, both because they always use the newer models over older ones and because the newer ones share the same aesthetic as all the other newest models for the other Slaneesh units.
  • RockNRolla92RockNRolla92 Registered Users Posts: 1,416
    The new keeper of secrets is a thing of pure evil beauty
  • BiesBies Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,327
    a lot of pleasure here <3>:)

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

• MagicspookMagicspook Registered Users Posts: 509
    Very good overview! My guess is that DoC will be similar to the skaven clans: 2 lords at launch with (more or less) fleshed out rosters for their god, with a tiny fraction (1 or 2 units) of the other gods' units. Then 2 lord packs which gives a lord and fleshes out the roster for those gods.
    Which gods will be in at launch? Who knows! My guess is that khorne is core (because har har satan demons, slaanesh is DLC (because pegi 18), and from the two that are left I'm guessing tzeentch is DLC (because they are a bit more esoteric and they'd probably sell better than nurgle. Then again, the lord of change is already in game, so that might mean tzeentch will be core).

As for Slaanesh, I really don't like the art style. These things aren't beautiful or alluring in any way, they're plain gross. And why does everthing, I mean EVERYTHING from those serpents to the chaos spawns need to have an X amount of boobs stuck onto them? Is that really GW's grand strategy for making things look 'alluring'?

As for Slaanesh, I really don't like the art style. These things aren't beautiful or alluring in any way, they're plain gross. And why does everthing, I mean EVERYTHING from those serpents to the chaos spawns need to have an X amount of boobs stuck onto them? Is that really GW's grand strategy for making things look 'alluring'?

Because: Boobs for the Boob God!

Regarding the allure and unnatural beauty of Slaanesh daemons overall

Obviously neither miniatures, artwork nor videogame will do this trick for you so...

-----Red Dox
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    @Red_Dox What's that monstrous behemoth with the gaping maw in the picture alongside the updated Keeper of Secrets model? I've seen that sculpt before but don't know what it is; it's absolutely terrifying in a simplistic and brutish way.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
    "Draconic murder ferret attack dog." - Ben1990 describing Shard Dragons.
  • xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Registered Users Posts: 635
    Great thread, looking forward to the updates with the other Chaos Gods. There are a few units I missed in my DOC speculation and roster (Pleasureseekers were one).

Another unit that you could add are Exalted Daemons. These are not the Exalted Greater Daemons (either super Lords or end-game unit) but WOC who have given their soul to a lesser Daemon. They could serve as a mini version of a Daemon Prince (either as a hero version of a Daemon Prince or an Aspiring Champion type unit).

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Exalted_Daemon

Lastly, have you thought of doing a quick piece on the Gods of Law or Malal/Malice? They're were old pieces of the lore before being mostly discarded (sadly).
    edited September 9
    Wyvax said:

@Red_Dox What's that monstrous behemoth with the gaping maw in the picture alongside the updated Keeper of Secrets model? I've seen that sculpt before but don't know what it is; it's absolutely terrifying in a simplistic and brutish way.

https://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=pro&pre=mrm_dkl_nor_sfg_mbs_601_000
    TT Daemon players who were generally unhappy with the Soulgrinder design, were often looking at other miniature designers for help. The Blood Maw with its simple but good asthetics and fitting size was a common proxy choice for Greater Daemon/Daemon Prince/Soulgrinder.
    Since it is not a GW design, of course no chance for TWW in any form.

But GW did put out a multikit for three characters during the Endtimes, and their mount has some similiarities to offer.

If those mounts might become a more regular thing for WoC/DoC is still a questionmark. Afaik in AoS nothing has happend yet.

-----Red Dox
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 3,933
    I feel like they're definitely going to want to do the exalted seeker chariot, but at the same time it's going to make them cry.

Great thread, looking forward to the updates with the other Chaos Gods. There are a few units I missed in my DOC speculation and roster (Pleasureseekers were one).

Another unit that you could add are Exalted Daemons. These are not the Exalted Greater Daemons (either super Lords or end-game unit) but WOC who have given their soul to a lesser Daemon. They could serve as a mini version of a Daemon Prince (either as a hero version of a Daemon Prince or an Aspiring Champion type unit).

Lastly, have you thought of doing a quick piece on the Gods of Law or Malal/Malice? They're were old pieces of the lore before being mostly discarded (sadly).

Exalted Daemon from 6th edition is a rather weird thing. We have them in the Ravening Hordes list, but there they are basically the later coming Heralds. So next would be Hordes of Chaos, were they basically are again Heralds but with slightly better stats (which is better because later Heralds are a bit squishy). So next in line is Storm of Chaos, were we have the HoC Exalted Daemon and get a true Herald on top. Now we march towards the real armybooks and we are down to Greater Daemon, DP and squishy Heralds.
    Since there never were extra miniatures, I assume they just prototyped around a bit with them. While I would advocate such a "better" Herald as step in between for TT, for TWW it might just be useless. CA can just beef up the Heralds accordingly with more hitpoints and we literally don't need this Exalted extra step. Still possible it might pop up as a surprise later but for now I do not consider them. And since there are no miniatures to showcase also iasy to ignore for now ;)

Gods of Law, nay. I would assume everybody more interested in Old World gods in general should rather seek out the WFRP Tome of Salvation or the Warhamemr wiki ;) Not my cup of tea to spread around believes other then Chaos or Gork & Mork. The whole idea behind this topic also was rather to show of the miniatures, "Demons of the Ages" if you will. Adding some appropriate lore pieces toward the covered god is just bonus.

A Malal topic would be a challenge, since we have pretty little to go on with. Top of my head would be a few lore pieces, a artwork for a Greater Daemon and the miniature+rules for Kaleb. I mean I could throw around the Kaleb Dark comics to beef it up, but my last experiment with a comic seemed not to gather to much interest.

------Red Dox
    edited September 10
    Red_Dox said:

Exalted Daemon from 6th edition is a rather weird thing. We have them in the Ravening Hordes list, but there they are basically the later coming Heralds. So next would be Hordes of Chaos, were they basically are again Heralds but with slightly better stats (which is better because later Heralds are a bit squishy). So next in line is Storm of Chaos, were we have the HoC Exalted Daemon and get a true Herald on top. Now we march towards the real armybooks and we are down to Greater Daemon, DP and squishy Heralds.
    Since there never were extra miniatures, I assume they just prototyped around a bit with them. While I would advocate such a "better" Herald as step in between for TT, for TWW it might just be useless. CA can just beef up the Heralds accordingly with more hitpoints and we literally don't need this Exalted extra step. Still possible it might pop up as a surprise later but for now I do not consider them. And since there are no miniatures to showcase also iasy to ignore for now ;)

Gods of Law, nay. I would assume everybody more interested in Old World gods in general should rather seek out the WFRP Tome of Salvation or the Warhamemr wiki ;) Not my cup of tea to spread around believes other then Chaos or Gork & Mork. The whole idea behind this topic also was rather to show of the miniatures, "Demons of the Ages" if you will. Adding some appropriate lore pieces toward the covered god is just bonus.

A Malal topic would be a challenge, since we have pretty little to go on with. Top of my head would be a few lore pieces, a artwork for a Greater Daemon and the miniature+rules for Kaleb. I mean I could throw around the Kaleb Dark comics to beef it up, but my last experiment with a comic seemed not to gather to much interest.

------Red Dox
    A prototype seems a fair way of describing them. If CA needed an additional unit, they could serve as the mini-daemon prince (or simply something extra for the WOC to use). I've only found two images of them, with one being Nurgle and the other Khorne.

The Gods of Law are just a classic, the idea of Heaven vs Hell in Warhammer would have been great. There's an article by Graeme Davis going through the small amount of lore that they have (there seems to be a theme of Heaven and each Law God as a counterpoint to each Chaos God). Difficult to type a thread about them but there if you want a challenge.

https://graemedavis.wordpress.com/2020/08/15/warhammer-history-the-gods-and-daemons-of-law/

There is an idea that you gave me as well. You say "Daemons of the Ages" with the various miniatures. I think it could be possible to take the 8th edition models (or most recent at the time of 8th DOC) and make them the standard version of the unit. The older edition (or AOS edition if required) models, with their different appearances, are transformed into different variants of the unit. The Bloodletters for example are different regarding editions so we have the current style below:

And then we have the 2002 Bloodletters who have a different appearance and Axes:

This is just one example but it applies to many versions of DOC and could really help expand them.

There is some stuff on Malal/Malice but it is limited. Mostly pictures of unreleased daemons for him (Guardians of Contradiction, Hook Horrors, etc). Would love to see CA/GW bring him back as some anti-Chaos God. They have a little bit with Malice but he has not been fully expanded upon.

Looking forward to the other pieces on Khorne, Tzeentch and Nurgle too!
    You have pictures of Exalted Daemons? Can you link them and if possible list the source?

Regarding Bloodletters,

yeah I know what you mean. I have talked about that with someone not that long ago somewhere on reddit also. And will point it out also in a future Khorne DoC topic. Whenever that will be ;) Mentioned it here on the Daemonettes too, but visually the Bloodletters are the way better example for "different tiers" then the lesser daemons of the other gods.
    However, if CA could do something like that or if GW would even veto it since they just want the newest designs highlighted, is a question without a answer for now.

-----Red Dox
    edited September 10
    Red_Dox said:

You have pictures of Exalted Daemons? Can you link them and if possible list the source?

Regarding Bloodletters,

yeah I know what you mean. I have talked about that with someone not that long ago somewhere on reddit also. And will point it out also in a future Khorne DoC topic. Whenever that will be ;) Mentioned it here on the Daemonettes too, but visually the Bloodletters are the way better example for "different tiers" then the lesser daemons of the other gods.
    However, if CA could do something like that or if GW would even veto it since they just want the newest designs highlighted, is a question without a answer for now.

-----Red Dox

There are three pictures of Exalted Daemons,all from Warhammer Armies: Hordes of Chaos (6th edition), p9, p19 and p48.

As they're basically mini-Daemon Princes (albeit, possessed instead of being 'uplifted'), they have very similar appearances. They're much smaller compared to a full-size Daemon Prince. It was a forgotten concept from 6th and one that TWW could bring back.

Glad you've been thinking it as well. I personally think CA and GW will do it as the DOC would only have four cores. They can take the models they've created and give them different weapon types and such. Differant appearances that refer back to their old models can help differentiate them on the battlefield too.
  • LordTorquemadoLordTorquemado Registered Users Posts: 1,552
    AoS Keeper of Secrets is simply perfect.
    "You stumble about in darkness. There is no light here, no mercy. Naggarond has claimed the souls of better heroes than you."