Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Is This $1360 CAD PC Build Good Enough For Total War?

BenSpillerBenSpiller Registered Users Posts: 5
edited September 13 in Technology
I came up with a budget pc build for Total War based upon my limited knowledge of computers. Is this build capable of running the Warhammer 2, Three Kingdoms, and Total War Rome 2 at 1080p ultra graphics (some settings dialed down) at 60fps in 2vs2 and 3vs3 multiplayer battles? Please be honest because if it's terrible i will wait and save up.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/BenSpiller/saved/RDH8rH
Post edited by BillyRuffian on

Comments

• psychoakpsychoak Registered Users Posts: 3,144
    There's nothing wrong with the build, but your expectations are a bit rosy. Even at the standard allowance, a 3vs3 has a lot of units in it, and only Warhammer has really low model count units to mitigate the extreme numbers you're looking at. Maintaining 60fps just isn't going to happen in an extreme scenario, whether it's your budget pc, or a $3k beast.
  • BenSpillerBenSpiller Registered Users Posts: 5
    psychoak said:

There's nothing wrong with the build, but your expectations are a bit rosy. Even at the standard allowance, a 3vs3 has a lot of units in it, and only Warhammer has really low model count units to mitigate the extreme numbers you're looking at. Maintaining 60fps just isn't going to happen in an extreme scenario, whether it's your budget pc, or a $3k beast.

Would a Ryzen 5 3600 and rtx 3070 combo be good for total war games at ultra graphics?
    Same deal, it's not the computer. It's the expectations.

You're not going to be hamstrung by the graphics card, and you can only do slightly better on the CPU front. Your restriction is the engine performance. You can overclock the 8600K to within 5% of what a 10900K will do in single core speed. That's the fastest possible processor.

A liquid cooled, i9 10900K, overclocked to it's limits, will NOT maintain 60fps under the conditions you stated. I think it would maintain 60fps in the Skaven benchmark, but that's far below worst case scenarios in 3vs3 battles.

As to the r5 3600 and rtx 3070 combo. That is massively more powerful on the GPU side, but the CPU is actually weaker if you overclock the 8600K.

IF you're just playing Total War at 1080p, there's no reason to get that much video card. If you want to play next gen fps, rpg, etc, with ray tracing capabilities down the road, go for it. The same if you want to play at higher resolutions.

The processor is the bottom end of that line though. If you want to go Ryzen, I'd at least get a 3700X. You should also make sure to get a pcie 4.0 system in that case. The NVME drives available right now aren't particularly worthwhile, but once the serious entries come later this year, or early next year, you can get one that is actually twice as fast as the current entries under real world use. Not sure how much this would speed up TW load times right now, but it will definitely reduce load times down the road as games are written to take better advantage of the speed increases. It will also give you a better upgrade path with a video card upgrade, as a 4.0 x8 configuration frees up more of those limited lanes on the consumer chipsets.
    psychoak said:

Same deal, it's not the computer. It's the expectations.

You're not going to be hamstrung by the graphics card, and you can only do slightly better on the CPU front. Your restriction is the engine performance. You can overclock the 8600K to within 5% of what a 10900K will do in single core speed. That's the fastest possible processor.

A liquid cooled, i9 10900K, overclocked to it's limits, will NOT maintain 60fps under the conditions you stated. I think it would maintain 60fps in the Skaven benchmark, but that's far below worst case scenarios in 3vs3 battles.

As to the r5 3600 and rtx 3070 combo. That is massively more powerful on the GPU side, but the CPU is actually weaker if you overclock the 8600K.

IF you're just playing Total War at 1080p, there's no reason to get that much video card. If you want to play next gen fps, rpg, etc, with ray tracing capabilities down the road, go for it. The same if you want to play at higher resolutions.

The processor is the bottom end of that line though. If you want to go Ryzen, I'd at least get a 3700X. You should also make sure to get a pcie 4.0 system in that case. The NVME drives available right now aren't particularly worthwhile, but once the serious entries come later this year, or early next year, you can get one that is actually twice as fast as the current entries under real world use. Not sure how much this would speed up TW load times right now, but it will definitely reduce load times down the road as games are written to take better advantage of the speed increases. It will also give you a better upgrade path with a video card upgrade, as a 4.0 x8 configuration frees up more of those limited lanes on the consumer chipsets.

Sorry, I'm new to pcs. By 60fps in those large team battles I meant is it playable without the game constantly freezing and stuttering. A youtuber by the name of Bitwit made a budget pc build with the Ryzen 5 3600 and RTX 3070 and I was wondering if it would hold its own in Total War games because they are very demanding.
    Either build should be fine from that standard.
    psychoak said:

Either build should be fine from that standard.

Ok, thank you.