Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

AOS units- For Dark Elves

Qwerty55Qwerty55 Registered Users Posts: 452
I know some people aren't fans of AoS (me included) but many units from AOS existed in Fantasy lore, are ripped off from Fantasy or could have very easily existed in Fantasy. I might make this into a series where I look at different factions, but today I will focus on Dark Elves and what AoS stuff could possibly be added while also still maintaining that Warhammer Fantasy feel.

My rules in choosing are:
1. Must fit the Warhammer Fantasy universe and aesthetic without breaking too much lore
2. Must add something new to the game (No unit types that are already pretty much represented)

Dark Elves
Dark Elves have been split into three factions in AoS, Cities of Sigmar, Daughters of Khaine and whatever is going on with Malekith (His faction doesn't exist in tabletop yet). Cities of Sigmar is just a dump of old miniatures and Malekith's stuff doesn't exist so there's nothing I can get from them. Daughters of Khaine however there are a lot of new things that were added.

With Daughters of Khaine, luckily they use the old sisters of slaughter models as their base troops and because of that the aesthetic of the faction is very much intact, so there's not too many 'AOSfied' looking units.

1. Melusai Blood Stalkers
Aesthetic fits and adding a few more monster girls wouldn't require too much lore gymnastics since we already have harpies and medusas. Personally they're probably the best example of an AoS original creation that could have just as easily have existed in Fantasy (Also because Warhammer Fantasy's art community is way more active than AOS, it means we can finally get monster girl hentai)

2. Melusai Blood Sisters
Same reasons as above, they don't look too outlandish and add something new to the Dark Elf roster.

3. Khinerai Lifetakers
We already have harpies so adding a hybrid of an elf and a harpy wouldn't be too lorebreaking. They also add a very different unit type for the Dark Elf roster.

4. Khinerai Heartrenders
Same as above, they just have spears.

Comments

• RockNRolla92RockNRolla92 Registered Users Posts: 1,316
    Whilst I'm not against using AoS models for fantasy units or even for units that were in the lore but never got models until AoS.

The models you've picked are made up for AoS and are more in keeping with the high fantasy there. They don't fit with our dark elves in Warhammer fantasy
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 2,443
    I do agree that they'd not be entirely outlandish for the Dark Elves had they been introduced in, say, 8th or a speculative 9th Edition (similar to how kinda revolutionary units like White Lion Chariots, Demigryph Knights, etc. were added at various points) they would probably have felt "classic" by now, and you would have had users here clamoring for these "iconic" units to be added.

However, I really don't like the frequencies being mixed. Once you add a little, the floodgates open and you'll start seeing people raging because we don't have every AoS unit in here, which is just too much for me. So as a precautionary tactic, let's just stick to non-AoS stuff, imho.
  • Qwerty55Qwerty55 Registered Users Posts: 452

Whilst I'm not against using AoS models for fantasy units or even for units that were in the lore but never got models until AoS.

The models you've picked are made up for AoS and are more in keeping with the high fantasy there. They don't fit with our dark elves in Warhammer fantasy

Really? How? They're no different than what we already have. Dark Elves are filled to the brim with monsters and creatures as well as half creatures like harpies and medusas. There are lot worse AOS only examples than some lamia.

I am surprised, to me they've always been a pretty good example of something that doesn't look too out of place, even Aesthetically they are extremely similar to what we already have in Fantasy.

I do agree that they'd not be entirely outlandish for the Dark Elves had they been introduced in, say, 8th or a speculative 9th Edition (similar to how kinda revolutionary units like White Lion Chariots, Demigryph Knights, etc. were added at various points) they would probably have felt "classic" by now, and you would have had users here clamoring for these "iconic" units to be added.

However, I really don't like the frequencies being mixed. Once you add a little, the floodgates open and you'll start seeing people raging because we don't have every AoS unit in here, which is just too much for me. So as a precautionary tactic, let's just stick to non-AoS stuff, imho.

Yeah you're not wrong, there are already people clamouring for Ossiarch Bone Reapers to be added for a Nagash faction which is just a big no. Ossiarch are pure AoS, they have absolutely nothing to do with Fantasy in lore and with aesthetics.
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 7,925
    Not needed.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 1,812
    Honestly, having just put in a bunch of time on a Bretonnia campaign, the biggest issue is, AoS needs Bretonnian's.

There almost certainly will be some AoS driven game models in Game 3, but it will be for some of the Daemons.

Flesh Hounds for example.

I wish we would get Diaznettes, but thats a pipe dream I'm sure.
  • WaaaghCheifWaaaghCheif Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,254
    No need to bring them over, Medusae are the Dark Elves Melusai for WHFB. Melusai will get their time in the forthcoming AoS RTS.

So we should keep AoS and WHFB separated, for the better, for both titles.
  • BjornNorlinderBjornNorlinder Registered Users Posts: 307
    +1 they need more medusa like units
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 20,623
    AoS is a different IP and universe. You may as well advocate for Space Marines to be included.
    Malakai is the best choice for a Dwarf LP. Give us Slayer lords so we may form a Slayer host and revel in our destruction!
  • MythrilSoulMythrilSoul Registered Users Posts: 49
    edited September 14
    in the last week there was, what?, 3 differrent treads about what units the DE have left and there is actually a good amount for 1 or 2 Lord packs. in resume:
    - hag queen
    - black ark fleetmaster (tecnically alredy done in the form of the black ark lord)
    - existing unit variants (ossian guard, shielded black guard, daughters of despair, black ark reavers...)
    - sea dragon/pagowyrm
    - disciples of khaine
    - salt-harpies
    - maybe basilisk's?
    - maybe a slave unit, peasant tier trash?

So i doubt CA would need to use AOS units they dont even have the license to use them anyway

AoS is a different IP and universe. You may as well advocate for Space Marines to be included.

Come on now. We all know its not as wildly different as that.

I'm not saying port over fish elves or whatever, but I'd be shocked if AoS models are not used where there is no stand in currently in the GW range, for Game 3 in game models.
  • Polar_IceCreamPolar_IceCream Registered Users Posts: 43
    You actually beat me to the thread because this suggestion has been banging in my head for a while now. We know these units are AOS but there were created for that. Chances are when we go back to the Old world soon as GW have announced it could well be that these units transition over. Obviously not including Sigmarines but it’s not impossible to think that a lot of these units and characters actually existed during the End Times but weren’t mentioned for obvious reason, the design team hadn’t invented them yet.

Providing it doesn’t break the lore I’m pretty open to the idea. CA’s TWWH is a loosely based game anyway as some of the lore and timing isn’t quite accurate so why not bend it slightly more
    Surge_2 said:

Come on now. We all know its not as wildly different as that.

I'm not saying port over fish elves or whatever, but I'd be shocked if AoS models are not used where there is no stand in currently in the GW range, for Game 3 in game models.
    True, but exaggeration is such a fun fallacy.

It's one thing to take inspiration from some of the AoS models, it's another to use them. I don't see CA using any of the new AoS stuff because it's from a different IP and it doesn't fit fantasy.

Obviously nothing in the OP is usable, but I went and had a look and they're very bare bones in terms of new models. There's nothing there that isn't already in the game.
    Malakai is the best choice for a Dwarf LP. Give us Slayer lords so we may form a Slayer host and revel in our destruction!
  • LordSolarMachLordSolarMach Registered Users Posts: 317
    Surprising that you'd leave out the Avatar of Khaine:

Granted, it could be argued that they already existed in WHFB (model and lore wise). But they never had rules until Age of Sigmar.
  • RockNRolla92RockNRolla92 Registered Users Posts: 1,316
    Qwerty55 said:

Really? How? They're no different than what we already have. Dark Elves are filled to the brim with monsters and creatures as well as half creatures like harpies and medusas. There are lot worse AOS only examples than some lamia.

I am surprised, to me they've always been a pretty good example of something that doesn't look too out of place, even Aesthetically they are extremely similar to what we already have in Fantasy.
    Dark elves are an elven faction with monsters yes. They also have half creatures but they don't have trained armoured regiments of them.
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 3,897
    Nothing from AoS is being added. They're separate settings.

Aren't you an AOS fan? AOS fans are a weird bunch, some say they're the same setting, others say they are separate settings. Some say that Stormcast are space marines, others say they are not. Make up your minds.

Otherwise I would agree. They are indeed separate setting. We live in confusing times...
  • UberReptilianUberReptilian Registered Users Posts: 1,403
    Qwerty55 said:

Aren't you an AOS fan? AOS fans are a weird bunch, some say they're the same setting, others say they are separate settings. Some say that Stormcast are space marines, others say they are not. Make up your minds.

Otherwise I would agree. They are indeed separate setting. We live in confusing times...
    Yes, it's almost like Humans aren't a hivemind and have different opinions. How is that confusing?
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 3,897
    Qwerty55 said:

AoS is the sequel to WHFB but it's set in the mortal realms. So of course it's a separate setting.

And yes I am an AoS fan. Now keep them separate.

Qwerty55 said:

AoS is the sequel to WHFB but it's set in the mortal realms. So of course it's a separate setting.

And yes I am an AoS fan. Now keep them separate.
    Okay I guess they are seperate, nice to finally have a confirmation.
    Qwerty55 said:

No fan group agrees unanimously, but objectively AoS is a different setting. That's just an objective fact.

Who says Stormcast aren't Space Marines though? They were the literal testing bed for Primaris marines.
    Flesh Hounds will use AoS Models, not any of the WHFB iterations.

Thats what I mean when I say 'AoS Models'.
    I get what you mean mr Surge, I agree.

Qwerty55 said:

No fan group agrees unanimously, but objectively AoS is a different setting. That's just an objective fact.

Who says Stormcast aren't Space Marines though? They were the literal testing bed for Primaris marines.
    Please, stop this. Test bed? Because they have the same kneecap? I'm deeply invested in 40K, and Stormcast are not Marines, in any capacity other than 'lets make something human, but better.'
    Surge_2 said:

Qwerty55 said:

Please, stop this. Test bed? Because they have the same kneecap? I'm deeply invested in 40K, and Stormcast are not Marines, in any capacity other than 'lets make something human, but better.'
    C'mon man, allow me to confidently repeat rumours I heard from a random on Reddit like they're true. I mean, they are the same size.

• Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 2,443
    Surge_2 said:

Qwerty55 said:

From a modeling point of view they are basically marines. GW implemented them because they realized that Fantasy lacked one of 40k's greatest strengths; an easily paintable, low-unit count army, with lore for the easily exciteable that would be easy to market externally. This is what new hobbyists look for oftentimes, and what frequently pulls them to marines in 40k.
    I could wax lyrical on this subject if we need, but just because they fill a role (aka they are counter Chaos Warriors, 'WE ARE GOOD GUYS REALLY' for those who dont read and understand the setting's lore) still doesnt mean they are Marines, and REALLY doesnt mean they are the test bed for PRIMARIS of all things. :smiley:

What pulls people to Marines is.

1. "I want to be the good guys".
    2. Low Model Count
    3. Best supported line by far, its now TWO core lines and however many supplemental lines (how many primary colors are there?)
    4. Pushed by GW beyond all reason. Go look at how many "Space Marine" factions there are on the GW site, it is offensive.
  • LabriaLabria Registered Users Posts: 1,193
    edited September 14
    These models are perfect fit for Dark Elves faction. Khinerai Heartrenders and Khinerai Lifetakers will be just better version of harpies on tier 4.

Melusai Blood Stalkers and Melusai Blood Sisters will be like Dark Elves version of Sepulchral Stalkers in the game.

I can easy imagine 3rd lord pack with these units + Melusai Ironscale as new generic lord. This make more sense than random stuff from old edition without own real role in the game.

Melusai Ironscale lord

Just look to Dark Elves building browser. There is empty space here for new building with Melusai Blood Stalkers and Melusai Blood Sisters.

What do you think Game Workshop will add for Dark Elves in new the Old World tabletop game? I doubt stuff like Melusai Blood Stalkers will stay Age of Sigmar only forever.

If CA can use stuff like Ice Guard for Kislev, most likely they can use any Age of Sigmar model which will be part of the Old World tabletop game in the future. B)
    Post edited by Labria on
    Dwarfs need Slayer Lord pack: https://imgur.com/x74HxxU
    Liu Chong and He Yi should be playable in 194.
  • KelefaneKelefane Registered Users Posts: 2,365
    More bottom of the barrel stuff for DEs I see........

• BiesBies Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,273
    I want end times units for dark elves ;)

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

This discussion has been closed.