Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

A revolution in unit recruitment?

RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 1,633
It seems that with Amazons DLC CA will try totally different approach to how we will be able to recruit units.

Instead of being able to recruit mid tier/elite units we will only be able to recruit basic units. These recruits will first need to gain battle experience before we will be able to upgrade them into better units.

What are your thoughts about that concept of recruitment?

For me it sounds very promising but I am not sure how AI can handle such system.

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS and TROY campaigns:
ROMEII
GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
RotR: Rome, Samnites, Senones, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
ATTILA
GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
THRONES OF BRITANNIA
Dublin, Gwined, Northumbria, Mercia, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
WARHAMMER 1 & 2
W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable.
THREE KINGDOMS
MOH: Liu Chong, Liu Hong, Lu Zhi, Zhang Bao.
ROTW: Dong Zhuo, Gongsun Zan, He Yi, Liu Bei, Ma Teng, Sun Jian, Yuan Shao.
AWB: Cao Cao, King Mulu, Liu Biao, Lü Bu, Meng Huo, Sun Ce, Yan Baihu.
EP: Sima Ai, Sima Yong, Sima Yue.
TROY
Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Hector, Hippolyta, Menelaus, Odysseus, Penthesilea, Sarpedon.

Comments

• coolskillcoolskill Registered Users Posts: 233
    edited September 18
    Yes. Some of the designs in this game is really amazing. And just seeing what they're doing here with Amazons makes me happy. If anybody is getting into Total War now, Troy. Revolutionary TW game.

OK both Amazons have different starting rosters. I certainly think there's a potential for Troy getting the nomad roaming. It can appeal to users who aren't into base management. Especially, when it comes to streamers who tend to tone down on base management on games being streamed. For the sake of more interaction and combat. Hope it turns out well.
    Post edited by coolskill on
  • ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 11,397
    I Really like it and I’m super exited to see how it will work out in practice.
  • RaddeoRaddeo Registered Users Posts: 6
    New systems seems very promising, but if it was to be implemented on wider scale (for all factions in next games) then it has to be done in a wise way. If I remember correctly there already were some RTS games which tried similar things (can't remember the names) and it used to lead to strange things, like peasant infantry upradaged right into mounted knights etc.

Also, this system may not be correct for some factions and timesettings. For example in medieval period knights should be already recruited with their final tier as their equipement should depend rather on wealth of individual nobleman than on his experience. On the other hand in napoleonic period (and any period with mass standing armies) system from Amazons DLC would fit quite nicely.

But instead of straightforward upgrade of whole units I would rather like some more complicated (but more realistic imho) system where you can indeed only recruit basic unit at the beginning, but then as they gain experience you could take some of the soldiers and create NEW new unit from part of the old ones. So you would split old basic unit into two new units - basic one and new advanced one. That would be much more realistic, as historically units were rarely upgraded into new kinds, but rather new units would be made from parts of the old ones. I'm thinking here about for example line infantry regiment from napoleonic period. As soldiers would become more experienced part of regiment would be detached as for example grenadier regiment without disbanding the old one. This would also force player to keep playing with armies composed of mixed units, as it would almost never be possible to has whole army upgraded.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,699
    edited September 18
    I thought you can upgrade Amazon units anytime if you have plenty Amazon Treasures. Maybe I'm mistaken.
  • AdmiralJelloAdmiralJello Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 513
    jamreal18 said:

I thought you can upgrade Amazon units anytime if you have plenty Amazon Treasures. Maybe I'm mistaken.

You can use the treasures to give them experience (which you can later use to upgrade). You can also use buildings or skills that give you unit experience on recruitment, as well.

So mid-game, you don't have to start entirely from scratch if your units get wiped, for example. But you still have to work your way to that.
  • RafSwi7RafSwi7 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,633
    jamreal18 said:

Check this video:

Completed ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS and TROY campaigns:
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
    HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    RotR: Rome, Samnites, Senones, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    Dublin, Gwined, Northumbria, Mercia, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    MOH: Liu Chong, Liu Hong, Lu Zhi, Zhang Bao.
    ROTW: Dong Zhuo, Gongsun Zan, He Yi, Liu Bei, Ma Teng, Sun Jian, Yuan Shao.
    AWB: Cao Cao, King Mulu, Liu Biao, Lü Bu, Meng Huo, Sun Ce, Yan Baihu.
    EP: Sima Ai, Sima Yong, Sima Yue.
    TROY
    Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Hector, Hippolyta, Menelaus, Odysseus, Penthesilea, Sarpedon.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 26,363
    There was this old game, Battle Realms (think Warcraft 3+Far East) which worked like this, you only recruited base units and then trained them in different buildings to become different types of units.

• CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    Nice to see real faction mechanics rather than just different buffs!

But I don't see it being widely used in other TW games outside of some fantasy use.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,699
    edited September 19
    Commisar said:

Nice to see real faction mechanics rather than just different buffs!

But I don't see it being widely used in other TW games outside of some fantasy use.

Agree.

I like it because its completely different playstyle from other factions.

I don't know if it might work for Medieval times. Didn't lords hire knights directly? It might work for some factions but not for everyone. Low tier units might get upgraded but some factions must still be able to hire quality units.
    Post edited by jamreal18 on
    jamreal18 said:

I don't know if it might work for Medieval times. Didn't lords hire knights directly? It might work for some factions but not for everyone. Low tier units might get upgraded but some factions must still be able to hire quality units.

Not as knights no. That's a social class. Could get the pay to equip yourself out in better kit, but never to the same standard as the lords and not something happening on a wide scale of the forces. Most would be either mercenaries or peasants who'd then be going back to work on the land...don't want them getting ideas of replacing you! lol
  • BastileanBastilean Registered Users Posts: 715
    Ogre Battle is the first game that I ever saw do this. Love the concept and I believe this was asked for by fans, so it's great to see CA listening.

Like the video said playing Amazons will be both more rewarding and more precarious. Lose your key units and you may be crippled even after you win a battle.
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,265
    What are your thoughts about that concept of recruitment?

Faaiiiaaaa embuuuuuureeeeeem.

Sorry I'll show myself out. But I'll point out this mean of upgrading unit was actually a topic with 3K with people asking for it there. I don't think it could fit within the current systems of 3K but it's nice to see the idea itself wasn't lost.
  • BastileanBastilean Registered Users Posts: 715
    I hope they tone back the tier 5 rank bonus buildings. It would help the Amazons a lot.
  • ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 11,397

There was this old game, Battle Realms (think Warcraft 3+Far East) which worked like this, you only recruited base units and then trained them in different buildings to become different types of units.

Oh I really loved that game as a kid!
  • BoicoteBoicote Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 760
    There was an identical system in TW: Attila. It's not exactly the same...but in the beginning of the campaign you can only recruit tier 1 units. As you unlock new technologies those units can be upgraded into more powerful units.
    Boicote said:

There was an identical system in TW: Attila. It's not exactly the same...but in the beginning of the campaign you can only recruit tier 1 units. As you unlock new technologies those units can be upgraded into more powerful units.

It's not. When you unlock the new tech it replaces that unit. You don't have to go back to tier 1 if you lose a unit.