Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

After The Hotfix Performance Has Left Game Unplayable.

DutchbanngerDutchbannger Registered Users Posts: 91
I left this message under the hotfix itself but apparently you don't read any of those comments for some reason...

Prior to the hotfix (as someone playing at 1080p I had no issues in terms of what that hotfix actually fixed) Troy was by far the most optimized total war game of the modern era. I play the other games at 30 fps yet could play troy at 45fps with higher graphical settings, it was amazing.

Well one day I try to play and see it is updating. I think oh boy maybe Amazons, but instead I see a 1440 p hotfix on the forum.
I launch the game and its going between 10-15 fps now on all the same settings... What happened?

Comments

• DutchbanngerDutchbannger Registered Users Posts: 91
    Others are also experiencing this issue so it isn't something unique to my save file of the game, hope this gets solved as fast as the hotfix came out...
  • Odysseus95Odysseus95 Registered Users Posts: 175
    Yep, I have it too. The latest update is tanking performance really hard for some reason.
  • CA_Hristo_EnevCA_Hristo_Enev Registered Users, CA Staff Posts: 22
    edited September 28
    Hello, @Dutchbannger @Odysseus95

As we did not experience such issues while testing, can we get some more info on the problems you experience.
    Do you experience the FPS drop while in battle or campaign?
    What graphic options do you guys use? (if you can send us a prefereces.script located in %appdata%\The Creative Assembly\Troy\scripts that would be very helpful)
    Is it permanent fps drop or is it periodic performance drops?
    Lastly sending us a DxDiags would help immensly .https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/207388/how-to-find-your-dxdiag - a link on how to get one.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Hristo Enev, CA Sofia QA Team
    FORMAL DISCLAIMER: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
    edited September 30
    @CA_Hristo_Enev Hello thanks for the response.

It is an issue in both campaign and battle where at launch I could run everything on high and some things on ultra and still get great FPS 40 plus.

Once the 1440p hotfix happened I dropped to 15-20 fps and had to lower my settings to medium and am now experiencing fluctuations in battle rapidily rising and dropping even at medium however the campaign map on medium is pretty steady and getting really high fps marks 60+.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 38,024
    edited October 1
    It looks like the game is not recognising your Nvidia card. Try this https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360001563717-Setting-a-preferred-graphics-processor-for-your-total-war-game-with-NVIDIA#text

It might also be worth updating your graphics drivers, if possible.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
    edited October 10

It looks like the game is not recognising your Nvidia card. Try this https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360001563717-Setting-a-preferred-graphics-processor-for-your-total-war-game-with-NVIDIA#text

It might also be worth updating your graphics drivers, if possible.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the settings panel in a total war game to ever read my GTX and play all games on the intel card.

I have tried deleting all drivers and clean installation, setting the GTX in the nvidia control panel, making sure that it is active in device manager. Everything is up to date including my windows updates and intel as well.

But that's an issue I don't think I will ever solve unfortunately - but luckily total war is still playable on intel but as I play all tw games this way the troy performance hit I do not believe is related to this.

However if there is anything else you think I should try to get the GPU to work I'm all ears.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKRegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 38,024
    edited October 10
    That is most odd. I don't know what else you might have tried so forgive me if I duplicate.

Have you tried editing your preferences script to show the Nvidia card?
    Have you tried editing your preferences script to show the actual amount of video memory on the Nviidia card?
    Are you using the High Performance Windows power setting with your machine plugged into an external power source?

As for performance:
    Have you tried reducing the resolution?
    I presume you have ticked Unlimited Video Memory, can you make any more space on your C: drive as currently there is not a lot of free operating space?
    Try putting all graphics settings to off or minimum then gradually adding them back in.

Edit: you might even try this pre-made preferences.script https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/comment/1968012/#Comment_1968012 then adjusting the settings gradually after it's running.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

@BillyRuffian No worries about duplicates I really appreciate the help.

I have tried editing the preference scripts in Rome 2 to no avail as well as using maximum performance and I always play plugged in.

I have activated the Nvidia container and when I launch a game it claims that the GPU is on but if I run MSI Afterburner it says GPU usage 0% the entire time but shows me the amount of virtual memory it could be using and the temp of the gpu fluctuates slightly as the game is played.

I have tried playing with 30gb+ of space as well.

The laptop suggests I run at 3200x1800 but lowering that to 1920x1800 both at my desktop and in game gives me more frames for sure.

I’ve tried moving everything up from low but even on all low I experience spikes going way up to way down. By having things around medium I can get the game looking nice enough while still having it at a somewhat playable rate since low is pretty rough to look at and will still dip down in fps.

If this helps at all heat really drops the frames so I have a fan blasting the laptop if a game is active to alleviate that issue.

Is there any chance the graphics card is just burnt out since it’s a GTX Geforce 870m in a laptop from 2014 but the laptop can’t tell it’s busted?
    @BillyRuffian Would that premade script work for Troy as well or are you suggesting I try it out for wh2 specifically?
    Do you ever play non-TW games? If so, does the same thing happen with the GPU? That might be an easy way to test whether the GPU is working or not.

If the machine is that old it may be worth getting it professionally serviced - that may be another way of checking if the GPU is working. How long has this issue been going on?

I'm hoping the script will work for Troy, but you can always keep a copy of your current script in a separate area to revert back if necessary.

@BillyRuffian I just installed New Vegas to test and that game as well only reads my intel card in the options/ settings menu.

The weirdest part to me is that the device manager and Nvidia container both recognize the gpu and say it's running but no games seem to actually use it and MSI says 0% being used. Perhaps your right professional servicing is the point I'm at but this is one of those soldered onto the motherboard gpus so I think I'm SOL in regards to getting it working again. I want to say 1-2 years now I've been on intel. I have no idea what might have caused the switch as I simply didn't play any games for quite a while and then suddenly when I went back to gaming I couldn't get it to work.

It certainly doesn't sound like a good situation.

I don't use a laptop myself, so there may be something obvious that I'm missing that a professional might spot, but it does seem as though the card may have developed a fault. The question is whether the fault is recoverable or not, otherwise you may need to replace the whole machine by the sound of it.

@BillyRuffian yeah well for the time being it does let me play total war, even if I have to play on lower settings but I will certainly have it looked at by a pro. Thanks for taking the time to help troubleshoot with me.