Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Flying unites only leadership penalty

OMEGADELTAOMEGADELTA Registered Users Posts: 8
I'm playing as lizardmen and when i fight with only flying unites army the game gives me a leadership penalty.
Can someone explain that?
Does this happen with all factions or just lizardmen?
Once i played as bretonnia and had a full stack of hippogryph knights and louen leoncoeur on beaquis but i didn't notice any leadership penalty.

Comments

• DwarfSizedBeardDwarfSizedBeard Registered Users Posts: 936
    you have to have at least one unit on the ground because of arbitrarily reasons, the reason you would have been fine with bretonnia is because if they are fighting on the ground they count
  • saweendra#3399saweendra#3399 Registered Users Posts: 19,337
    RHK has much higher leadership.

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• Darthplagueis13#4382Darthplagueis13#4382 Registered Users Posts: 838
    It's a general rule that you need to have a single unit on the ground, no matter what faction you play. I think it's to discourage flying Doomstacks since flying units already have an inherent advantage over ground units (well... that and because some flyers also have ranged attacks and melee ground units literally have no means of attacking a ranged flying unit).

Long story short, the game doesn't want you to run flyer-only armies for balancing reasons.

As to why it worked with Bretonnia but not the Lizardmen: You Bretonnian stack was RHK and Louis Leoncour, both of which are melee units who will land if you just charge them into the fray.

Your Lizardmen stack was presumably Tic'Tac'to and just a bunch of Terradons and TTT is just a **** fighter whereas Terradons are ranged units, so you probably didn't have anything on the ground for long.
  • RomeoReject#1666RomeoReject#1666 Registered Users Posts: 2,098

I'm playing as lizardmen and when i fight with only flying unites army the game gives me a leadership penalty.
    Once i played as bretonnia and had a full stack of hippogryph knights and louen leoncoeur on beaquis but i didn't notice any leadership penalty.

It's done to prevent you from simply running out the clock if you wipe out your opponent's ranged/flying units. By giving you a leadership penalty, you have to land and keep fighting fair.
  • Arthas_Menethil#3421Arthas_Menethil#3421 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,351

It's done to prevent you from simply running out the clock if you wipe out your opponent's ranged/flying units. By giving you a leadership penalty, you have to land and keep fighting fair.
    And AI derping out. As I'm betting somewhere there's been an AI derping out and not landing with someone who has no ammo to fight it.
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• capybarasiesta89#4722capybarasiesta89#4722 Senior Member Bath, UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,457
    Speaking of which

h1feizw8yzk6.jpg
  • AbiesterAbiester Registered Users Posts: 3
    To be honest, although I have over 1k hours in this game, I didn't actually know about this penalty and was playing a campaign with Tiktac'to who had 16 terradons on Very hard campaign and battle difficulty. However, the leadership penalty didn't kick into effect until after I was winning or had used most of my ammunition. Although it did require me to withdraw a couple of times and "lose the battle," it was a fair trade of for being able to wipe out 30+ units without loss + insta bombing reinforcements is fun. When I was watching LegendofTotalWar's vod, the terradon riders leadership starts to deplete at the very start of the battle, and although I had 3 skink chiefs (on terradons) at some point, the flying bombarders worked perfectly well without those extra heroes. Just wondering why my terradon riders are so OP (cause I wouldn't want to face them), and whether the penalty has been changed or if it has something to do with my settings.
  • AxiosXiphos#9040AxiosXiphos#9040 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,523
    The 6th vampire counts legendary lord is revealed...