Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Awesome game

Insane_MikeyInsane_Mikey Senior MemberPosts: 142Registered Users
edited August 2010 in Medieval II: Total War
Having played the Total war series from Shogan this 1 passed me by as at time of release my Lap top could not handle it so only played it very infrequantly when visiting mt Dad, having only recently bought a new Machine (back in April) I moved strait onto Napoleon and Empire...

Recently installed Med2 and I'm having a ball, playing as England took up the 1st crusade to Jerulsalem and started to carve out a nice crusader kingdom for myself, then the Mongols turn up...

Lost Antioch after 2 fierce battles (I can't remember the last time I lost a settlement in any total war game) then they bybass the heavily defended (by Elite troops as well) city of Damascus and the Fortress of Acre and go strait for Jerulsalem, after many Epic battles a lone General unit of 10 men, a militia spearmen of 23 men, 2 peasant archers numbering less than a hundred betwen them, 11 armoured swordsmen and 12 heavy bill militia are all that remian to claim the city as mine, the Mongol Khan with less than 20 men remaining in his stack is being hunted down but I'm satisifed as victory is mine, until of course wave 2 turns up!

Deep joy :D

Anyway just thought I'd share as this I'm enjoying myself so much!
Post edited by Insane_Mikey on

Comments

• King RufusKing Rufus Senior Member HispaniaPosts: 1,681Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    Yes, I started my Total Wars with Medieval II and it's still my favorite game. I can return to it in any moment and still get immersed.

If you started with England then you should have met King Rufus, William the Conqueror's heir :p.
  • EazyriderEazyrider Member Posts: 34Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    Medieval 2 has planted many sentimental feelings within me, and I do get quite nostalgic each time I return to play it.
  • IBlewAFuseIBlewAFuse Senior Member CanadaPosts: 1,389Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    Although Medieval 2 had it's share of problems, I thought it was the best game of the Total War series in the sense that it improved on Rome without removing some of the excellent immersing features.
  • Knight TemplarKnight Templar Senior Member Posts: 498Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    Almost 4 years after it was released, Medieval II is still an awesome game. The game really shines when you are playing the game with mods such as Broken Crescent and Stainless Steel. I'm looking forward to the upcoming Dominion of the Sword supermod when its finally released.

Even now an unmodified Medieval II is better than an unmodified Empire.
    edited July 2010
    I have not tried any mod with Medieval 2... Which ones do you sugest?? Though I guess I'll have to take a look at TWC to make up my mind :p.
  • vaptinvaptin Senior Member Posts: 752Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    I would suggest the stainless steel mod, improves the A.I, expands the map and brings back the ability to award titles to generals. Although I think the realism mode is a bit of a pain.
  • CogreCogre Senior Member Posts: 2,170Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    lands to conqure with the retrofit mod works wonderfully well
    KRYTEN: I'm some kind of robot who's fighting this virus, and none of
    this exists, it's all in a fever, except for you guys, who really do
    exist, only you're not really here, you're really on some space ship in
    the future. Hell, if that's got to make sense I don't want to be
    sober!
  • Go EazyGo Eazy Senior Member Posts: 108Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    I can't believe it has been four years since the release of M2, I played so much MP that I have yet to complete a single SP campaign. I actually just started a Scotland campaign a few weeks ago, seeing as four years have gone by I am bound and determined to finish it.........this year!!
    edited July 2010
    Go Eazy wrote: »
    I can't believe it has been four years since the release of M2, I played so much MP that I have yet to complete a single SP campaign. I actually just started a Scotland campaign a few weeks ago, seeing as four years have gone by I am bound and determined to finish it.........this year!!

I agree with this. As soon as I got Medieval 2, and finally got my multiplayer to work, I was stuck on it; having not played TW on multiplayer before it was very interesting. The quick grassy Plains 1v1 battles became very addicting, and I found myself never really having the time for campaign and when I did, I barely spent anytime on it.

Sadly now I find the Med 2 mp community has become somewhat desolate, and whenever I go on there are barely any games; if any.
  • s.n.phs.n.ph Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    I started my Total Wars with Rome total war I have all total war games like med2 and kingdoms ,empire, napleon total war

by the way iam from iraq its very hard to find total war games in Iraq
  • Celt1114Celt1114 Member Posts: 53Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    Medieval 2 is a great game. It's been installed on my computer since its release, along with Kingdoms, which by the way, if you don't have Kingdoms you really should buy it. You won't regregt it.

I also have my Medieval 2 games set up so that each turn represents 6 months. There's over 800 or 900 turns in each game. it gives all nations time to build their armies well into the gunpowder age.
    edited July 2010
    s.n.ph wrote: »
    I started my Total Wars with Rome total war I have all total war games like med2 and kingdoms ,empire, napleon total war

by the way iam from iraq its very hard to find total war games in Iraq

That's great. For some reason it's difficult for me to imagine someone in Iraq playing TW games, don't know why..
    but I think it's cool.
  • s.n.phs.n.ph Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    hhh why ^_^ we are a civilized nation ..total war games are well-known in my city mosul
    edited July 2010
    Eazyrider wrote: »
    I agree with this. As soon as I got Medieval 2, and finally got my multiplayer to work, I was stuck on it; having not played TW on multiplayer before it was very interesting. The quick grassy Plains 1v1 battles became very addicting, and I found myself never really having the time for campaign and when I did, I barely spent anytime on it.

Sadly now I find the Med 2 mp community has become somewhat desolate, and whenever I go on there are barely any games; if any.

I was never able to play multiplayer do to problems with Gamespy =S. Was so happy when I could play multiplayer with Empire, and I enjoyed myself a lot. When I got tired of the single player I went to multiplayer.
    edited July 2010
    What sort of problems with gamespy?

With me its the opposite: When I get tired of multiplayer I go to single player.
    edited July 2010
    s.n.ph wrote: »
    hhh why ^_^ we are a civilized nation ..total war games are well-known in my city mosul

Yea I know you're a civilized nation but the things we see on tv here in the USA make it seem like everyone is living in poverty and war.
    I'm happy to know the news isn't correct. :)
    edited July 2010
    King Rufus wrote: »
    I was never able to play multiplayer do to problems with Gamespy =S. Was so happy when I could play multiplayer with Empire, and I enjoyed myself a lot. When I got tired of the single player I went to multiplayer.

I never get tired of singleplayer. I've got almost every faction playable and so many to choose from.
    I like playing as Hungary and pretending I'm Vlad the Impailer.
    Ya know what? I've never played a multiplayer game of any TW ever. Just figured since I got such a late start I wouldn't stand a chance. :)
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,755Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited July 2010
    I play with the Retro Mod laying over Kingdoms. A great game. Passed many hours, with (almost) all the factions.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • KitKit Junior Member Posts: 9Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    By far one of my favourites of the series, only yesterday I started a game as Hungary having not really played this faction before, its almost a new experience and a refreshing change after playing Empire and Napoleon
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I also had started a Hungary campaign not long ago.
  • KitKit Junior Member Posts: 9Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    I cant remember having played with them before but i was having so much fun yesterday i dont know why i didnt play them earlier, Ive always preferred nations in the middle of the action
  • IBlewAFuseIBlewAFuse Senior Member CanadaPosts: 1,389Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    Hungary is one of my favourite factions. It's best played on Hard or Very Hard because it gives you the great possibility of being caught up with passing armies of crusaders and your not allowed to touch them unless you want to get excommunicated. This gives them the chance to walk to your capital and begin a siege.

Besides all this, Hungary has one of the more interesting unit rosters in the game and are a blast to play.
    edited July 2010
    Hehe, I started playing as the Scots to finally complete my first campaign (sad I know) and every time I sit down at the PC two or three hours seem to disappear. I haven't had this much fun since I experienced "just one more turn" with MTW : D
  • DarkSideHomeDarkSideHome Senior Member Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    I have started a Knight's Templar campaign today using the Stainless Steel mod for Med2 in the early Era. I am getting my a$$ kicked by the Fatimid and Khwarizmi Empires. I love this game.
  • Insane_MikeyInsane_Mikey Senior Member Posts: 142Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    Wow glad to see I'm not the only 1 loving this game!

Well I've seen off the Mongol threat, ridden out the black death and am now waiting for the Timurids.....they have appeared in Turkish lands so hoping they won't come south
  • GSCGSC Senior Member Posts: 1,687Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    Wow glad to see I'm not the only 1 loving this game!

Well I've seen off the Mongol threat, ridden out the black death and am now waiting for the Timurids.....they have appeared in Turkish lands so hoping they won't come south
    Wut you playing with?
    This thread has made me taste for some MTW2 campaign! I think for The Holy Roman Empire!
    edited July 2010
    Yeah Mikey seeing as how you have seen off the Mongol threat who are you playing with. I'm Playing Scots and hoping to (finally) beat SP. Looking to play something other then Venice in the Mediterranean next go around.
  • Insane_MikeyInsane_Mikey Senior Member Posts: 142Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    Well I'm the English......had to be in my 1st proper campaign, loving the longsbows and dismounted English Knights
  • Yahav The Angry JesterYahav The Angry Jester Member Posts: 63Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    i want to start a new GC, but i dont know with who XD
  • Duke DudeDuke Dude Senior Member Posts: 879Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    ^ Go with the Turks, and see if you can attain the victory condition as well as hold off the monglos by not letting them get a city. No that is hard.
    I only managed to do that once, never again.