Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

behold the glory of araby and bretonnia!!! behold the glory of errantry wars!!!

kasunrathnatungakasunrathnatunga Registered Users Posts: 7,287
edited October 9 in Community Content

i wish i could post this on general fourms but the fun police( funny enough its not the mods) is a thing so meh,

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY LOOK AT WHAT YOU MISSED OUT ON CA!!!
#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

Comments

• veresh1989veresh1989 Russia, Saint-PetersburgRegistered Users Posts: 1,052
    Why didn't they make Arabia? Britons there in the sand poking instead of a normal fight
  • RomeoRejectRomeoReject Registered Users Posts: 1,561

Why didn't they make Arabia? Britons there in the sand poking instead of a normal fight

At the time they said no, they'd only attempted to "make up" a faction once - Norsca - and that attempt was a pretty public failure that required months of work to re-do properly. Araby would've effectively been Norsca on steroids in terms of difficulty - they couldn't just steal most of their stuff from Chaos and the Monstrous Arcanum, they'd require actual work to create.

I think there was extra trepidation to do Araby as much of their lore came from an era when Games Workshop had unabashedly racist implications for many groups, Araby included. While I think CA would be the perfect way to get Araby redone in a way that respects culture while still having fun with the more fantastical side of things.

That said, if you like Araby, get OvN Lost Factions. They not only have an Araby in there, but a brilliantly done one at that.

At the time they said no, they'd only attempted to "make up" a faction once - Norsca - and that attempt was a pretty public failure that required months of work to re-do properly. Araby would've effectively been Norsca on steroids in terms of difficulty - they couldn't just steal most of their stuff from Chaos and the Monstrous Arcanum, they'd require actual work to create.

I think there was extra trepidation to do Araby as much of their lore came from an era when Games Workshop had unabashedly racist implications for many groups, Araby included. While I think CA would be the perfect way to get Araby redone in a way that respects culture while still having fun with the more fantastical side of things.

That said, if you like Araby, get OvN Lost Factions. They not only have an Araby in there, but a brilliantly done one at that.
    What can be racist in the Arab world? This is a fantastic game. Norska is doing a great job, the economy is just too bad, because of this, it is too complicated. But I'm glad it's there, and I'd like to see Arabia.

What can be racist in the Arab world? This is a fantastic game. Norska is doing a great job, the economy is just too bad, because of this, it is too complicated. But I'm glad it's there, and I'd like to see Arabia.
    Games Workshop was pretty notoriously racist in their adaptations of other cultures. Araby was very clearly supposed to be Arabian culture, which was a poor look when Araby turned out to be full of cheaters, greedy swindlers, heretics and straight up evil folks. For what it's worth, Araby is not the only example of stuff like this from older Games Workshop - Cathay and Nippon, which are supposed to be China and Japan respectively - routinely confused things in from the other's lore, showing how little Games Workshop cared in actually presenting the cultures properly. And the most egregious example by far was the Pygmies, which were straight up racist caricatures of African culture.

For what it's worth, I would be 100% on board with CA going through and redoing the lore and culture of Araby, while keeping the fun, fantasy elements of them (Such as flying carpets and use of Djinn). I actually think if Games Workshop was smart, they'd request that CA do that, and then incorporate their changes in to the lore, which would hopefully fix how they presented them in the first place.

Games Workshop was pretty notoriously racist in their adaptations of other cultures. Araby was very clearly supposed to be Arabian culture, which was a poor look when Araby turned out to be full of cheaters, greedy swindlers, heretics and straight up evil folks. For what it's worth, Araby is not the only example of stuff like this from older Games Workshop - Cathay and Nippon, which are supposed to be China and Japan respectively - routinely confused things in from the other's lore, showing how little Games Workshop cared in actually presenting the cultures properly. And the most egregious example by far was the Pygmies, which were straight up racist caricatures of African culture.

For what it's worth, I would be 100% on board with CA going through and redoing the lore and culture of Araby, while keeping the fun, fantasy elements of them (Such as flying carpets and use of Djinn). I actually think if Games Workshop was smart, they'd request that CA do that, and then incorporate their changes in to the lore, which would hopefully fix how they presented them in the first place.
    I am from Russia, and personally I just laughed at the adaptive culture of Kislev, which is taken from us. I didn't see any malicious intent or anything like that. It's really funny. I don't see any problems with other adaptations, they don't have to reflect the entire way of life and mythology of peoples. It's just a template

I am from Russia, and personally I just laughed at the adaptive culture of Kislev, which is taken from us. I didn't see any malicious intent or anything like that. It's really funny. I don't see any problems with other adaptations, they don't have to reflect the entire way of life and mythology of peoples. It's just a template
    Kislev got a cool culture in the game, it was basically all positives, there'd be nothing to be offended by; Araby was almost all negative stereotypes about middle-eastern culture. You're comparing apples to arsenic.

Go and read in to any of the Games Workshop stuff about Araby, and you'll see why Creative is likely a little trepidatious to touch that particular aspect of Warhammer Fantasy.

Kislev got a cool culture in the game, it was basically all positives, there'd be nothing to be offended by; Araby was almost all negative stereotypes about middle-eastern culture. You're comparing apples to arsenic.

Go and read in to any of the Games Workshop stuff about Araby, and you'll see why Creative is likely a little trepidatious to touch that particular aspect of Warhammer Fantasy.

I've read it, but I haven't seen anything like it. Gins, elephants, trade, carpets planes. Persia before Islam. Kislev is far from the best taken, there is such a wild hodgepodge mixed in, but this is a fantasy world and looks funny.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file