Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Is Grom's Cauldron is an Ogre Kingdoms mechanic?

MerciiMercii Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 944
edited October 2020 in General Discussion
Is Grom's Cauldron is an Ogre Kingdoms mechanic?

Was the Greenskin Scrap mechanic originally designed for Warhammer III to represent attributable Marks of Chaos?

Was Ikit Claw's workshop Originally Designed for the Chaos Dwarves?

Maybe not, but we have been wondering what Warhammer II race mechanics might be reused in Game 3.

Just had the thought last night...maybe we are already seeing some game three mechanics that the game 2 DLC team are borrowing form the Warhammer III team?

I'm thinking the Grom and the Paunch and possibly the upcoming wood Elf DLC could be glimpses of our future.

Also talk about it in this video if anyone is interested in a 20 minute long version of what I pretty much already said above (but with pictures!) :P

MercytheMad on Youtube

Comments

• MalalTheRenegadeMalalTheRenegade Registered Users Posts: 576
    While I understand the reasoning, I hope Creative Assembly will be able to innovate about new, fitting and interesting mechanics instead of relying on already released DLC content.

Especially for Ogres, I recently read a very interesting post about a vassalization/bullying mechanic which seemed super fun. That would be a much more interesting mechanic than a copy paste of Grom's Cauldron (which is IMO not that fun and highly overpowered - this last point being fine for a unique DLC Lord but not for a whole faction).
    Also to show Ogres relentless hunger, I'd prefer to see a mechanic where they progressively deplete the resources of their territory pushing them to always move forward as the nomadic people they are.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MisterSquidMisterSquid Florida, USARegistered Users Posts: 1,760
    I definitely think the Ogres will have something similar to the cauldron.

I agree with the video posted, I think it's likely that CA is testing out some of the mechanics they plan to introduce in Warhammer III by trying them out in Warhammer II DLC, Three Kingdoms, Troy, etc. It's possible that a lot of these mechanics could be "beta tests" of sorts. In that sense, I imagine the Ogre Kingdoms were at least considered when Grom's cauldron was being developed, and I wouldn't mind such a mechanic if it were more balanced and also more central to the campaign experience.
    Remember: there's no reason to get angry on the forums. Be polite and respectful towards other people's opinions, even if you disagree.

Let Slip the Dogs of War - A fanmade Campaign Pack concept
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/303462/let-loose-the-dogs-of-war-a-fanmade-campaign-pack-concept
  • NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 13,235
    I get why you'd think it's the Ogre mechanic but CA almost never just copy paste a mechanic. They'll likely come up with a new one for the Ogres and that's good.

• MerciiMercii Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 944
    @neodeinos Sorry, I wasn't saying that CA would copy paste Grom's Cauldron mechanic for the Ogres....I'm saying the Game 3 team have already done the Ogres Lore of the Great Maw.

We haven't seen it yet, but the game 2 DLC team HAVE and they have based Grom's Cauldron on the ogres.

I'm not sure if that make sense, but the idea that got me so tickled is that as we get to the end of the Game 2 DLC cycle, we are possibly seeing mechanics based off of stuff originally designed by the Game 3 team for WARHAMMER III.

We are seeing into the future!!!
    MercytheMad on Youtube
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 7,507
    Mercii said:

I'm not sure if that make sense, but the idea that got me so tickled is that as we get to the end of the Game 2 DLC cycle, we are possibly seeing mechanics based off of stuff originally designed by the Game 3 team for WARHAMMER III.

CA need to sell a whole game on stuff like new mechanics and new units. Why would they give away it all now?
  • BrynjarKBrynjarK Registered Users Posts: 864
    edited October 2020
    I think teleport, summons (scary f** summons that is), and ascensions (godlike, mutation or demonhood), will play a large role in game 3. At least i hope so.

And yes, some factions have similar abilities, based on the ideas or spinned from other faction powers that came before them. Been like that throughout the game series and that's just awesome. And ofc sometimes something comes from a clear blue sky. Its just bloody well done
  • RockNRolla92RockNRolla92 Registered Users Posts: 2,127
    I think they most definitely are taking ideas/testing other mechanics. It makes sense from a resource perspective too.

The pirate coves let them give Skaven the under empire after all!

I'm pretty sure they won't straight copy pasta or just boringly change them. It's CA themselves who have said they don't want to give everyone the same mechanic when people clamour for the forge and rites
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 32,184
    Hopefully not.

Maybe it could be a specific mechanic for Skrag, but for the whole Ogre race? Nah.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"Under construction" - Becky, daughter of Guanyin.

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster

• GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 4,828
    I sure as hell hope not.

You literally only think it would fit the Ogres just because they named the system of triggers and mechanics a "cauldron". But CA can literally take the skeleton of that system and make it for literally any faction and work.

Ogre Kingdom will not be a Greenskin subfaction, it'll be an entirely new game 3 faction. Let's not lazily rip-off old mechanics please.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 32,184

I sure as hell hope not.

You literally only think it would fit the Ogres just because they named the system of triggers and mechanics a "cauldron". But CA can literally take the skeleton of that system and make it for literally any faction and work.

Ogre Kingdom will not be a Greenskin subfaction, it'll be an entirely new game 3 faction. Let's not lazily rip-off old mechanics please.

I'm fine with CA copying old mechanics. I just want good old mechanics that fit. Scrap would work really well for them for example. There's a few other mechanics which would work well if tweaked a bit.

Skrag would buff his army as he killed. The more he killed the bigger the buff to his army. He'd vaguely fit Grom's mechanic, certainly he's got the most justification out of any character. Though thinking about it I'd prefer him to buff the army as he kills and ideally have that change depending on who he's facing or what he kills.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"Under construction" - Becky, daughter of Guanyin.

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster

edited October 2020
    SerPus said:

Mercii said:

CA need to sell a whole game on stuff like new mechanics and new units. Why would they give away it all now?
    Hey @SerPus, that's a really good point. I'm not saying they definitely did. Just wanted to get the concept out there that stuff they are using in these latter DLCs COULD be from Warhammer III.

Just as another fun way of making conspiracy theories.

I think it's reasonable that the mechanics for game three are being worked on right now (or some already done) and it makes sense that the WH2 DLC creators would have access to what they are working on.

They've shown previously that they share mechanics around, and they are not necessarily giving away the "big guns".

Just as a random example, say the scrap mechanic is borrowed from a Chaos Marks system originally developed for gamer three Chaos, maybe that's just one for the more minor chaos improvements for game three and they are also getting Dynamic Mutations or mortal champions ascending and transforming into Daemon Princes (something that would absolutely blow the scrap mechanic away).

I still think it's plausible that the WHII DLC team could be borrowing from stuff made for WHIII, but as you say they are probably not giving away the big-ticket items "for "free"
    MercytheMad on Youtube
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 17,411
    Mission: send hero to Empire and kidnap a halfling (attention - not eat); bring back to settlement; food quality improved 10+

Mission: send hero to Empire and kidnap a halfling (attention - not eat); bring back to settlement; food quality improved 10+

Haha, I love it!

I'm really hanging out to see what they do for wood Elves in the next DLC and whether it looks like something nicked from a WH3 race.

MercytheMad on Youtube