Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Rise and Fall of the Empire - Possible Expansions?

ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 26,370
How would people like it if 3K got Rise/Fall of the Samurai like expansions that featured at one end the first Chinese imperial dynasty under Qin Shihuang ending the Warring Stats period and on the other the twilight years of the Qing Dynasty, with the Taiping rebellion, the opium wars and the Wuchang uprising?

Yes, yes, people will say that's not RotK related, but since we already in China, we might as well adress other parts of its history and I think there'd be interesting campaigns to be had.

Comments

• Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,763
    edited October 17
    I reckon the chances of DLC set in periods outside the 3K setting are slim thanks to the massive backlash Eight Princes got.

Yes, there were a variety of issues around 8P, but remember that people had an absolute fit over 8P before we even knew anything about it simply because it had nothing to do with the 3K setting/story.

To go from:
    "This DLC is a disgrace, it has nothing to do with the 3K setting, why would you call it "Three Kingdoms" and then do DLC that isn't set in the Three Kingdoms period"
    To:
    "CA should do a DLC about the Warring States, or the Mongol Invasions"
    sends a confusing mixed message to say the least.

I mean, what is CA supposed to take from that? Do people want DLC to focus on the Three Kingdoms, or do people want DLC set in other periods? Which is it?
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,363
    edited October 17
    The fall of the Qing should be its own game, not a DLC for 3K... the Qing have completely new architecture, tactics, units, weapons, armor, would require a new map, would require so much to be new. This is like suggesting Empire Total War be an expansion for Rome 2.

A rise of the Han expansion makes more sense, though personally I'd rather see there be a Warring States Era saga title and then have there be a Chu-Han contention DLC.

A DLC not set in the 3K era I would like to see for 3K would be a "Rise of the Tang" dlc towards the end of the games life cycle, but they should prioritize 3K era dlc first and foremost.
  • Vin362Vin362 Registered Users Posts: 344
    edited October 17
    I couldn't agree anymore I think eras outside of the Three Kingdoms period 184-264 (or in TW3K's case 182-264) should be avoided there was some wiggle room with Eight Princes because the Jin Dynasty was what followed the Three Kingdoms but even then I think that starched it a tad far especially as the first chapter pack, imo it would be better to focus on bug fixes and releasing chapters packs that move us closer to a Three Kingdoms start date otherwise as I said before "why call the game Total War Three Kingdoms?"

Supporter of Shu-Han, Waiting for a Three Kingdoms start date for TW3K
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 26,370

I reckon the chances of DLC set in periods outside the 3K setting are slim thanks to the massive backlash Eight Princes got.

Yes, there were a variety of issues around 8P, but remember that people had an absolute fit over 8P before we even knew anything about it simply because it had nothing to do with the 3K setting/story.

To go from:
    "This DLC is a disgrace, it has nothing to do with the 3K setting, why would you call it "Three Kingdoms" and then do DLC that isn't set in the Three Kingdoms period"
    To:

I mean, what is CA supposed to take from that? Do people want DLC to focus on the Three Kingdoms, or do people want DLC set in other periods? Which is it?

The issue with Eight Princes was more that the topic was a national embarassment to the Chinese who didn't want to be reminded of a bunch of squabbling nobles throwing away the achievements of their forefathers. I don't see how getting to tread in the footsteps of Qin Shihuang and forging the first imperial dynasty or playing the Qing and getting the opportunity to turn the tables on the European narcos would have any of the same issues.

• Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,763
    edited October 18

To go from:
    To:

The issue with Eight Princes was more that the topic was a national embarassment to the Chinese who didn't want to be reminded of a bunch of squabbling nobles throwing away the achievements of their forefathers. I don't see how getting to tread in the footsteps of Qin Shihuang and forging the first imperial dynasty or playing the Qing and getting the opportunity to turn the tables on the European narcos would have any of the same issues.
    I'm... not entirely sure where you're going with the first sentence, so I won't comment on that.

As to the second; I think it would be very interesting to get DLC set in other periods beyond the 3K setting, and I'd personally love to see a DLC set in the Qing dynasty with gunpowder weapons.
    The problem is, CA already did a DLC set in another period beyond the 3K setting and it received massive backlash from the moment it was revealed. And the primary reason a lot of people claimed not to like it was precisely because it was set in another period beyond the 3K setting.
    It received such a negative reception - even before it was actually released - that CA had to run damage control after it's release and issue a statement to say that they understood this wasn't the content players wanted and to clarify that future DLC would be set in the 3K period, as well as exactly what that content would be (the Nanman). Which, given their pretty god awful communication, is a pretty significant move and demonstrates how serious the backlash was.

So, for players to then turn around and say "Actually, I'd love a DLC set in other periods like the Warring States/Mongol Invasions/Qing Dynasty" after already saying very loudly and clearly that they didn't want DLC set in other periods is just confusing as hell, and sends mixed messages. So I doubt they're going to do DLC set in other periods and run the risk of yet another massive backlash on the same scale as 8P.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 20,349
    Discuss the thread topic folks. If this turns into another business or CA bashing session it will be moved or closed.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
  • united84united84 Registered Users Posts: 817

How would people like it if 3K got Rise/Fall of the Samurai like expansions that featured at one end the first Chinese imperial dynasty under Qin Shihuang ending the Warring Stats period and on the other the twilight years of the Qing Dynasty, with the Taiping rebellion, the opium wars and the Wuchang uprising?

Yes, yes, people will say that's not RotK related, but since we already in China, we might as well adress other parts of its history and I think there'd be interesting campaigns to be had.

I share very similar sentiment. Except I think the Opium war might be inappropriate at every level. A waking the tiger (HoI) similar setting would be good.

3K is a very specific setting. Hence, the content is too limited. Actually, after Nanman, I dont think I am excited for any more TW3K content except for the free unique characters.
  • Qin_FengQin_Feng Registered Users Posts: 239

To go from:
    To:

Dude that time period is labeled the century of humiliation. You think they'd be OK with that?
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,508
    Sounds too big now for a DLC with so much having changed by the time of the Fall.
  • ShevaTsarShevaTsar Registered Users Posts: 326
    Before going into another setting, how about we get to play 3K, and more importantly, play it in a proper and functional way ?
    Every person on the street knows what is in Sima Zhao's mind
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,711

The problem with 8 Princes was that nobody requested or demanded for it.

People want Warring States Period.
    Tang China might be an expansion as well because this era was the golden age of China.
  • MasterSlayeXMasterSlayeX Registered Users Posts: 288
    edited October 18
    Eight princes I would say was more so mistimed . It probably would of worked better as either a staple chapter pack with a scenario map all about the rise of sima Yi and Jin or as the last dlc .

Idk if dlc faction packs appear in it but that may help too considering the Nanman would still be around that time as would some of the northern tribes .

As for the topic at hand I honestly would rather them focus on the main 100 years of three kingdoms . Prehaps having 1 more early scenario like 198-200 just to make use of many of the older lords and really big what if potentials (guan du is a massive what if game changer it’s a perfect scenario for some interesting things to happen like hiring a lu bu as Cao cao or zhang Yan aiding gongsun zan early and prehaps helping turn the tides in that war or yuan tan getting the imperial seal off yuan shu and getting tons of points in his favor of being next heir as I imagine yuan Shao would of been very happy if his son managed to retrieve the imperial seal for him )

Then prehaps the fall of Liu biao And then prehaps the Nanman wars so we can include them as a important faction as well as the addition of Cao Rui and Liu Shan faction

If they made Goguryeo the only playable Korea faction I actually would prefer if instead of making loads of playable Korea states they did a hybrid culture scenario pack in 237 ( this gives Goguryeo a scenario Korea played quite a few parts as 7 years after this date Goguryeo would go to war with wei , it’s the perfect starting point also for a sima Yi coup to start and having gongsun yuan as a possible playable lord would make there be quite a few factions around for this scenario )

I don’t think I’d like to see any other China time period wars until at least the three kingdoms part is covered
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,069
    jamreal18 said:

The problem with 8 Princes was that nobody requested or demanded for it.

People want Warring States Period.
    Tang China might be an expansion as well because this era was the golden age of China.
    *some or certain people want
    Don't presume you speak for everyone :P

8 princes was a disaster, and even if china got a plethora of other very interesting time periods this is a game about "Three kingdoms".
    Personally i much rather they properly flesh out the 3k storyline and campaigns than see then giving us a warring state DLC. I can see that period being released as a saga title though.

I still want 1-3 map expansion dlc's (culture dlc baked in). 3~ chapter packs and patches adding in uniques\tertiary characters before i remotely want to think about anything outside of 3K in a historical title unless it is a saga game.

• jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,711
    edited October 18
    Laindesh said:

If they made Goguryeo the only playable Korea faction I actually would prefer if instead of making loads of playable Korea states

Agree. Goguryeo is enough.
    If I want to play Silla, I want to see Hwarang. Seeing Hwarang in Three Kingdoms Period is kinda inappropriate as they were founded years later after the time setting of the game. Playing Silla without Hwarang seems underwhelming so it would be better not include them at all. They didnt even meet or had battle with any 3K Characters though so instead of making unique skin, characters and roster for them, better CA allocate those resources into more significant characters and factions.
    Laindesh said:

I always see Warring States period whenever people were talking about other period of China they want to see as expansion after Three Kingdoms. Then what era outside Three Kingdoms was the most requested?

jamreal18 said:

Laindesh said:

If they made Goguryeo the only playable Korea faction I actually would prefer if instead of making loads of playable Korea states

Agree. Goguryeo is enough.
    If I want to play Silla, I want to see Hwarang. Seeing Hwarang in Three Kingdoms Period is kinda inappropriate as they were founded years later after the time setting of the game. Playing Silla without Hwarang seems underwhelming so it would be better not include them at all. They didnt even meet or had battle with any 3K Characters though so instead of making unique skin, characters and roster for them, better CA allocate those resources into more significant characters and factions.
    Laindesh said:

I always see Warring States period whenever people were talking about other period of China they want to see as expansion after Three Kingdoms. Then what era outside Three Kingdoms was the most requested?

Yes, but talking about it and wanting it is two different things. Also im pretty sure the people on this forum is a very tiny portion of the actual playerbase ;) And even here there was people both positive and negative towards it, aka not everyone wanted such a dlc. Some wanted other periods instead for example.

As mentioned: im one of those who do not want such a DLC. I rather have it as a saga (Fall of the Samurai) after the 3K era has been fully fleshed out.

"Then what era outside Three Kingdoms was the most requested? "
    How would i know that without an analyzis of a plethora of forums discussing that topic?

I most certainly don't know, nor do i presume that this forum represent even more than a very tiny minority compared to the actual playerbase.

• ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 11,397
    I think that’s more suiting for a stand alone Expansion like Attila.

• caocaothedecievercaocaothedeciever Registered Users Posts: 137
    As much as I like many of the requested ideas; I personally feel that with the personal-character nature of 3K it fits much better focusing on this period, and having that element of "Crusader Kings" to it.

If they were to jump to other periods, I think they'd be best as separate titles, especially if they took a leaf from the Medieval 2 All Under Heaven mod; which focused on the division of China between Jurchen Jin, Xi Xia, and Southern Song and the beginnings of Genghis Khan. (This if they went for a more grander scale Rome 2 style Total War, rather than a character focused one.)

What I personally want, though, is a continuation of the 3K character driven model, but with the Chu-Han contention, with the major factions being the Qin, Liu Bang, and Xiang Yu. But I do know that that would be a tough sell as a big game- but I wonder if it'd be popular as a Saga? For all the whining about Troy before it was released, it seems to have been well received overall (even if for me, it took a few too many steps backwards in some regards.)

As much as I like many of the requested ideas; I personally feel that with the personal-character nature of 3K it fits much better focusing on this period, and having that element of "Crusader Kings" to it.

If they were to jump to other periods, I think they'd be best as separate titles, especially if they took a leaf from the Medieval 2 All Under Heaven mod; which focused on the division of China between Jurchen Jin, Xi Xia, and Southern Song and the beginnings of Genghis Khan. (This if they went for a more grander scale Rome 2 style Total War, rather than a character focused one.)

What I personally want, though, is a continuation of the 3K character driven model, but with the Chu-Han contention, with the major factions being the Qin, Liu Bang, and Xiang Yu. But I do know that that would be a tough sell as a big game- but I wonder if it'd be popular as a Saga? For all the whining about Troy before it was released, it seems to have been well received overall (even if for me, it took a few too many steps backwards in some regards.)

If they are taking the character driven mechanic to another TW i want it in shogun 3.
    Sengoku jidai had a plethora of historically famous characters too :)
  • caocaothedecievercaocaothedeciever Registered Users Posts: 137
    @Laindesh

I totally agree. But that really should be a mainline title!

I can already imagine which characters are playable, and which start dates...

Only question is would they include the Imjin War or not?
  • Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Registered Users Posts: 2,418
    No, I would prefer those eras are in unique games.

Qing China should be in Empire 2 Total War

I also want to see:

Total War: Rise of the Mongols

Total War: Medieval 3 - Battle for Jerusalem

Total War: World War 1

Total War: World War 2

Total War: Warcraft

Total War: Americas (focusing on both North, Central and South American continents)

Total War: Antarctica - Rise of the Penguins
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin

I also want to see:

Total War: Americas (focusing on both North, Central and South American continents)

I‘m hoping for Medieval 3 with a main focus on the Mongols.

It could be split up into 2 games with 1 combined map like WH. 1 game for Europe, Middle East and Africa. The second game about Asia. This would be my dream scenario!

A TW game about Incas, Aztecs and Conquistadors would also be epic.

I also want to see:

i wouldnt want WW1 and WW2, can't see how trench fighting and other tactics from those wars would translate into a TW game. I can also skip a warcraft collaberation since warhammer still got years left of its cycle (and is frankly more interesting).

as for the rest (exept the joke antarctica), first im gonna insert a character driven shogun 3 as thats what i want the most after 3K.

Rise of the mongol on a europe - eurasia - asia map would be great.
    Americas have not been seen before, could be interesting if there's enough unit variety. Did they have large scale battles though?

Medieval 3: not so sure, i was never big on this period. I could see a european based title being the next or 2nd next title though. Maybe empire 2, or some completely new setting.

Laindesh said:

I also want to see:

i wouldnt want WW1 and WW2, can't see how trench fighting and other tactics from those wars would translate into a TW game. I can also skip a warcraft collaberation since warhammer still got years left of its cycle (and is frankly more interesting).

as for the rest (exept the joke antarctica), first im gonna insert a character driven shogun 3 as thats what i want the most after 3K.

Americas have not been seen before, could be interesting if there's enough unit variety. Did they have large scale battles though?

Medieval 3: not so sure, i was never big on this period. I could see a european based title being the next or 2nd next title though. Maybe empire 2, or some completely new setting.

South America had (and still has) a huge cultural diversity, it is extremely unexplored but all the unique cultures and tribes would be really unique.

The Inca and Aztecs has armies going into the hundred thousands and those were only the biggest Empires.

• toskyruntoskyrun Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 232
    I read and think I'm the only one who still appreciates 8P, I deserve an award from CA! and I really like it because it is disconnected from the main story and I can do what I want without necessarily having to follow a mental scheme of narration.

besides, I am one of those who would like the period of the warring states. but I would like it to be a saga game (by deduction, the next saga will be based on the 3K graphics engine, so ...)

in general, i think the time is ripe for a medieval 3 ... think about it: map bigger than that of attilaTW, timeline like that of 3K. we could start with a year..800 bc and a small map and european factions ... then ... dlc after dlc..over historical dates and the map and the factions widen, taking asia ... and for end ... americas and other factions ...
  • MasterSlayeXMasterSlayeX Registered Users Posts: 288
    toskyrun said:

I read and think I'm the only one who still appreciates 8P, I deserve an award from CA! and I really like it because it is disconnected from the main story and I can do what I want without necessarily having to follow a mental scheme of narration.

besides, I am one of those who would like the period of the warring states. but I would like it to be a saga game (by deduction, the next saga will be based on the 3K graphics engine, so ...)

in general, i think the time is ripe for a medieval 3 ... think about it: map bigger than that of attilaTW, timeline like that of 3K. we could start with a year..800 bc and a small map and european factions ... then ... dlc after dlc..over historical dates and the map and the factions widen, taking asia ... and for end ... americas and other factions ...

See for me it would be better for them to dedicate a game towards Chinese history rather than it being a dlc for three kingdoms . There is a lot of fantasy and character based features in three kingdoms so it would feel strange to then have someone like Liu bang going around killing 1000s on his own , the game instead being a records mode Chinese history game with dlc covering certain points in time in the history
    Laindesh said:

I also want to see:

I really want WW1-2 I think that would be pretty epic in a Total War game. Trench warfare was pretty solid in Empire Total War, it's one of the things I really enjoyed about the game. Except now we'd have access to Airplanes, tanks and perhaps naval ships.

The one thing I disliked about Hearts of Iron, is that we couldn't actually fight the battles ourselves and had to leave it to capable commanders.
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Registered Users Posts: 1,725

Laindesh said:

I also want to see:

I really want WW1-2 I think that would be pretty epic in a Total War game. Trench warfare was pretty solid in Empire Total War, it's one of the things I really enjoyed about the game. Except now we'd have access to Airplanes, tanks and perhaps naval ships.

The one thing I disliked about Hearts of Iron, is that we couldn't actually fight the battles ourselves and had to leave it to capable commanders.
    It’s not possible within the current system. Total war is not about long stretcht fronts. I’d sooner see empire 2 or medieval 3 with the later being the most likely
  • zakufa782zakufa782 Registered Users Posts: 33
    If CA made 8 princes the last dlc, it might be ok, but being the first one? It confused people a lot.

WW1 and WW2 warfare isn't really total war's territory, because both tactics and strategies were completely different compare to pre-modern era. Although ironically the idea of total war came from the study of WW1.

About what period can be made into dlc, I think 3k should just stay with the three kingdoms period and maybe a little bit earlier and later like 8 princes. Just think about other total war games, Shogun 2 had massive time jump form Rise to Fall because it's a game about shogunates and the feudal samurai institutions. Other total war games also had dlc and expansion mostly based on the theme of the game, not just randomly inserting any time period. Think about Rome 2 from Rise of the Republic to Empire Divided, Attila from the fall of the Western Roman Empire to Charlemagne's new empire. If you think that 3k should feature late Qing dynasty or Spring and Autumn/Warring states, is this 3k game anymore? No, that's a China game. BTW, thinking that because 3k total war is set in China therefore it should somehow cover the entirety of Chinese history or something just happened in China in another period is a kind of orientalist approach, it over-generalized and oversimplified China's historical development.
    LESAMA said:

Laindesh said:

I also want to see:

It’s not possible within the current system. Total war is not about long stretcht fronts. I’d sooner see empire 2 or medieval 3 with the later being the most likely

Thankfully, the world of gaming is not confined to limits and anything can be achieved if they just do it. Otherwise we're in for another 10 years of Ubisoft-style clones that "work and sell".
  • united84united84 Registered Users Posts: 817

toskyrun said:

See for me it would be better for them to dedicate a game towards Chinese history rather than it being a dlc for three kingdoms . There is a lot of fantasy and character based features in three kingdoms so it would feel strange to then have someone like Liu bang going around killing 1000s on his own , the game instead being a records mode Chinese history game with dlc covering certain points in time in the history
    I totally agree with this. We have already have a hybrid historical/fantasy title, TW3K.
    I think it is fair to end TW3K's product lifecycle with a true historical TW expansion set in China.
    CA may release all the chapter packs they want with relation to TW3K but an expansion should be based on a new era. I dont buy the foreign culture being sold as "expansion pack", so much BS. It is a culture pack, not expansion. No wonder Nanman DLC only had 500 over reviews, probably very low sales they made.