CODK and especially ROR CODK are not cost efficient and they'd better undergo some rework. Some details were already discussed here
. After a number of matches and testing it is even clearer that they deserve some improvements especially when compared to other units in the game.
1. They are very rarely picked.
2. They have no role at the battlefield. For every specific task a player can assign to them there is a more cost efficient unit that can do the same thing better.
3. CODK and especially ROR version are not cost efficient when compared to the options other factions have for the same price. As the result DE player is better sticking to cost efficient units and overlooking cost inefficient CODKs.
ROR CODK are worth 1500 gold.
Horned Ones are worth exactly the same 1500 gold.
- -1080 HP (almost 25%)
- +20 armor (which gives ~15% more non-ap dmg resistance under the hood)
- +5 leadership
- -12 speed (almost 18%)
- +4 MA
- +23 MD
- -12WS (25%)
- -7 CB
It may look like they have almost twice more MD so this compensates the disadvantage on other stats. In reality it is not.
It should be noted that a unit must make use of its stats in order to be efficient. MD and MA stats only affect units engaged in prolonged combat and they are barely useful for squishy units that are already dead when statistical probability could play a role.
If you will add 100 armor and 30 MD to great cannon crew at a cost of doubling its price then it will make the unit worse than it is now because it will not add any efficiency to how a cannon is used. At the same time it will not be sufficient to make cannon too tanky because its HP pool will still remain too low and there are plenty of things that do AP damage. The cost increase will not be justified here.
Both CODK and Horneds are heavy cav that can do a number of things at the battlefield: 1) fight vulnerable targets 2) fight other cav 3) fight heavily armored elite things 4) surround and pin down monsters
1. First clash CODK ROR into a unit of Horned Ones 1v1
- First fight: Horned Ones won, 1800 hp left CODK routed 300 hp left. Fight lasts 1 min 15 sec
- Second fight: Horned Ones won, 2000 hp left, CODK destroyed 96 hp left. Fight lasts 1 min 6 sec
- Third fight: Horned Ones won, 1400 hp left, CODK destroyed 25 hp left. Fight lasts 1 min 36 sec
Conclusion: Horned Ones beat CODK hands down. They inflict a lot of damage on charge and then it is too late for CODK stats to turn the odds in the favor of CODK unit.
2. Test how good these units are at beating elite infantry (Harganeth executioners)
- Horned Ones vs Executioners test1: Horned Ones won 500hp left, executioners routed 470hp left. 3 min 6 sec
- Horned Ones vs Executioners test2: Horned Ones won 2000hp left, executioners routed 430hp left. 3 min 10 sec
- Horned Ones vs Executioners test3: Horned Ones routed 300hp left, executioners won 400hp left. 3 min 2 sec
- CODK ROR vs Executioners test1: CODK routed 100hp left, executioners won 500hp left. 4 min 7 sec
- CODK ROR vs Executioners test2: CODK won 576 hp left, executioners routed 300hp left. 3 min 54 sec
- CODK ROR vs Executioners test3: CODK won 700 hp left, executioners routed 200hp left. 4 min 13 sec
Conclusion: While it looks like CODK are designed to engage into this kind of prolonged fights with elite infantry they are not really better than Horned Ones. Both CODK and Horneds trade inefficiently because they lose too much hp to a cheaper unit. On top of that Horned Ones need less time so if they win then they win faster which is important for a shock unit.
3. Fighting a vulnerable target (Darkshards shielded)
- Horned Ones vs Darkshards test1: Darkshards routed with 1600 hp, 48 sec
- Horned Ones vs Darkshards test2: Darkshards routed with 2000 hp, 49 sec
- Horned Ones vs Darkshards test3: Darkshards routed with 1700hp, 49 sec
- CODK vs Darkshards test1: Darkshards routed with 1700hp, 53 sec
- CODK vs Darkshards test2: Darkshards routed 1900hp, 48 sec
- CODK vs Darkshards test3: Darkshards routed with 2000hp, 1 min 3 sec
Conclusion: roughly equal results, Horneds are a bit faster.
4. Fighting a Black Dragon
- Horned Ones vs Black Dragon test1: Horneds won 3700hp left, 1 min 10 sec
- Horned Ones vs Black Dragon test2: Horneds won 4400hp left, 1 min 4 sec
- Horned Ones vs Black Dragon test3: Horneds won 4400hp left, 1 min 28 sec
- CODK vs Black Dragon test1: CODK won 2400 hp left, 2 min 6 sec
- CODK vs Black Dragon test2: CODK won 1900hp left, 2 min 12 sec
- CODK vs Black Dragon test3: CODK won 2000hp left, 2 min 13 sec
Conclusion: Horned Ones beat CODK ROR hands down. Not only they beat a monster 2x faster but also they are at 62% to 82% HP at the end. CODK lose more than half HP in the process.
Horned Ones have predatory senses which is a useful ability given that Snikch is a fairly common pick nowadays.
CODK benefit from murderous prowess (25% MA 25% CB 18% vigor). This is a useful thing but mostly for melee infantry which is 90% of time in melee. As CODK charge when there is an opportunity but not recklessly engage when the buff activates then it is not always possible for them to get benefit from this ability.
Small bonus for Horneds - they can be supported by magic or even revived by rev. bastilo which makes them even more tanky while CODK are gone if they get damaged.
Horneds are also decisively faster which is a great advantage for them.
CODK and their ROR version lack survivability. They have decent stats which makes them a bit better than complete garbage but not better enough to be competitive. There is no point in having high melee stats for a unit that has so low HP that it loses models sooner than statistical probabilities take effect.
Other factions can deploy units that are better than CODK in every single aspect for the same price.
I would suggest to increase CODK HP to the level of Horned Ones (4320 -> 5400)