Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War Troy is way beyond my expectations... The best Total War, imo.

LomskatLomskat Registered Users Posts: 6
tl;dr For me, this is the best Total War game to date. Period.

Okay Creative Assembly, you did it. After over 150 turns as Achilles I have to say I haven't had so much fun in a Total War game since the original Rome Total War.

I love this. I played almost all TW games, but in my book, this beats anything from Shogun 2 to Warhammer 2.
You know what? I actually prefer this to Rome 1 Total War too, which used to be my favorite before.

Outstanding map design, the best siege maps in the history of TW games. Fantastic armor design, unit variety (with added creatures/unique units), great voice acting, heroes, music, everything.

The loading times are really low, which I appreciate. The myth/reality approach is phenomenal and the fog of war stylized like the classical Greece era is a cherry on top.

The AI is super fun, the battles not too long and they feel deadly. I absolutely love how responsive the units are. I missed that ever since Rome 1. I also love the fact they no longer duel 1v1, but rather just swing at each other.

What else can I say other than - I love this and I am waiting for the next title, which I'll buy for sure.

Great job.

Comments

• DruidsbrookDruidsbrook Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 165
    Its really impressive, the only thing stopping me from diving into another campaign is knowing some free content will be out soon and I'd rather start once its out.

With the battles I've really enjoyed the maps theres some nice terrain there.
  • MrCanisterMrCanister Registered Users Posts: 126
    Yeah I like the stylized art style and map design (and ambushes actually being ambushes) above all probably. Not a huge fan of single entity units and a lot of issues which seem to be baked into Warscape, but I guess they could have turned out worse.
    Lomskat said:

I also love the fact they no longer duel 1v1, but rather just swing at each other.

Just swinging at each other instead of having some contextually synchronized movement doesn't sound like a good thing at all?

• tadakatsutadakatsu Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 734
    yes troy has things good about it like the way the economy is handled in my opinion but duels are just as bad if not worse than three kingdoms cause 1 there is still an invisible barrier when 2 generals are fighting and second now unlike in three kingdoms you cant simnply reject the duel and so if you get in a duel you have to spam trying to leave it if you dont wanna fight until your general decides to actually listen to you. so overall for me three kingdoms is the superior game by a long shot but i am also a bit biased with the three kingdoms era. i mean the spy mechanics, the maps(nanman) the diplomacy, battle length etc are all superior in three kingdoms in my opinion.
  • toskyruntoskyrun Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 258
    yes troy is just a nice game and i'm having a lot of fun too but ... the game has inherited all the flaws of its father warhammer 2. animations, collisions, a very arcadey style of conducting both the campaign and the battles.
    fun, but without too many pretensions.
  • LomskatLomskat Registered Users Posts: 6

Just swinging at each other instead of having some contextually synchronized movement doesn't sound like a good thing at all?

I especially didn't like the matched combat in Rome2. If the units weren't matched numerically, some soldiers would just stand and wait for their turn. The soldiers in the rear would just taunt with their autistic animations. Both of the aspects ruined the immersion of watching the fight up close.

In Troy, they don't get into matched animations, but the swings are still deliberate and on target. Just that a 2v1 is actually 2 guys swinging at 1 enemy. There's also staggers, etc. It's like Rome1, but obviously much more refined. I prefer it without a shadow of doubt.

The only fights, obviously, that are matched are the Hero duels, which are a JOY to watch. 10/10.

One more thing I love is how powerful the cavalry is. The charge is just too satisfying, sending those pesky slingers flying all over the place in a massive cloud of dust. I have 2 units of Centaur Warriors and I consider them the most valuable addition to my army.
    edited October 23
    I wrote a lengthy comment, tried to edit and it disappeared.

Admin, please restore the comment.
    Lomskat said:

I especially didn't like the matched combat in Rome2. If the units weren't matched numerically, some soldiers would just stand and wait for their turn. The soldiers in the rear would just taunt with their autistic animations. Both of the aspects ruined the immersion of watching the fight up close.

In Troy, they don't get into matched animations, but the swings are still deliberate and on target. Just that a 2v1 is actually 2 guys swinging at 1 enemy. There's also staggers, etc. It's like Rome1, but obviously much more refined. I prefer it without a shadow of doubt.

The only fights, obviously, that are matched are the Hero duels, which are a JOY to watch. 10/10.

One more thing I love is how powerful the cavalry is. The charge is just too satisfying, sending those pesky slingers flying all over the place in a massive cloud of dust. I have 2 units of Centaur Warriors and I consider them the most valuable addition to my army.
    i wonder have you played three kingdoms? cause if you think troy charges are strong which btw even attila had stronger charges then three kingdoms takes the cake on impactful cav charges. also three kingdoms duels are better than troy albeit not by much cause in 3k you have to accept or reject a duel while in troy if you get stuck in a duel but didnt want to be in one you have to spam clicking away until your gen decides he wants to listen to you. also matched combat has been gone for the most part ever since rome 2 with the only exception being for killing blows. in my opinion troy cav charges are one of the weakest in the series they just die so easily and barely get any kills on the charge usually primarily cause the vast majority of units use spears aka a death sentence for calvary
    tadakatsu said:

Lomskat said:

i wonder have you played three kingdoms? cause if you think troy charges are strong which btw even attila had stronger charges then three kingdoms takes the cake on impactful cav charges. also three kingdoms duels are better than troy albeit not by much cause in 3k you have to accept or reject a duel while in troy if you get stuck in a duel but didnt want to be in one you have to spam clicking away until your gen decides he wants to listen to you. also matched combat has been gone for the most part ever since rome 2 with the only exception being for killing blows. in my opinion troy cav charges are one of the weakest in the series they just die so easily and barely get any kills on the charge usually primarily cause the vast majority of units use spears aka a death sentence for calvary
    I strongly disagree, but I understand it's subjective. My Centaur Warriors have so far lost maybe 3-4 soldiers in 10+ battles. I use them mainly to fight off skirmishers (they get routed almost immediately upon charge) and also for rear charges, which kill lots of soldiers and heavily damage morale. When you fight against Trojans, they don't use spears that much.
  • YavorYavor Registered Users Posts: 48
    I agree to everything OP said!
    I love Troy and everything it has brought on the table.
    Thank you, CA!
    We love Total War!!!
    Lomskat said:

tadakatsu said:

Lomskat said:

I strongly disagree, but I understand it's subjective. My Centaur Warriors have so far lost maybe 3-4 soldiers in 10+ battles. I use them mainly to fight off skirmishers (they get routed almost immediately upon charge) and also for rear charges, which kill lots of soldiers and heavily damage morale. When you fight against Trojans, they don't use spears that much.
    thats precisely the point though cav in troy are good against skirmishers only but even against elite skirimishers like harpies for example they will more than likely lose against harpies. they are basically like the equivalent of light cav from other titles but as such my point still stands the charges are extremely weak. i mean even light cav in three kingdoms is stronger than troys cav lol. also yes trojans do use spears alot as most of the roster for every1 except maybe amazons are spear wielding units the only way they wouldnt use spears is if the ai is just being dumb and not using its best units