Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Lords Pack Speculation and Roster 3.0 (Part 3-The Commander and the Seer)

xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Registered Users Posts: 883
Welcome to Part 3 of the Lords Pack Speculation and Roster! This will focus on Morgan Bernhardt and his Grudgebringers against the ludicrously lucky (and unlucky) Grey Seer Thanquol. It will have a look at what units they could get and a special look at the Dogs of War/Southern Realms with Contracts, Units, campaign and more.

https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/jse5ih/lords_pack_speculation_and_roster_30_part_3the/

Also, it is the 25th Anniversary of Shadow of the Horned Rat so it is the perfect time to look back at the classics that serve as the precursors to Total War Warhammer (and Mark of Chaos, people forget this one!).

Next will be the Cult of Ulric (and Middenland) against the forces of Norsca. After that, a pack between Snagla and the Empire's Engineering forces.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy the read and have an excellent look at the first Warhammer games.

Comments

• veresh1989veresh1989 Russia, Saint-PetersburgRegistered Users Posts: 4,451
    Morgan is the leader in unique armies in the game. He led many mercenaries, wood elves, dwarves, border kingdoms, Imperial troops, Breton. This is a unique person. Including unique magicians and heroes.

• ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 24,463

Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • eomateomat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,143
    edited November 2020
    Yes please! I hope he leads one of the Dogs of War Armies alongside Borgio the Besieger, Lucrezzia Belladonna Lorenzo Lupo making up the 4 LL's.
  • xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Registered Users Posts: 883
    eomat said:

Yes please! I hope he leads one of the Dogs of War Armies alongside Borgio the Besieger, Lucrezzia Belladonna Lorenzo Lupo making up the 4 LL's.

My personal list as well. It's the fourth selection that starts all the discussion as the Dogs have quite a decent number of possible LLs to choose from.

From personal bias and nostalgia, Morgan is the one for me but there are others.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Registered Users Posts: 11,088
    What a great reddit post OP.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • MisterSquidMisterSquid Florida, USARegistered Users Posts: 1,419
    As usual, a fantastic post from xblood_raven with an insightful look at a potential lord pack. This is a tremendous effort and I applaud you for it. Your Dogs of War lord roster is exactly what I'd go with (though I'm still partial to Lietpold the Black, especially as you suggest him). If the starting locations between Morgan and Lietpold were too close, could Morgan perhaps be moved into the Darklands themselves? Perhaps at Pigbarter or, more aptly, the Sentinels so as to closely guard the trade caravans.

Love the Dogs of War mechanics, especially the contract system and the slow development from a horde to a mercenary hub. I wouldn't mind seeing a more in-depth version of your Southern Realms Army Roster Speculation, though I suppose this rather trivializes that.

Also love your thoughts on Thanquol, specifically his starting location and clan, something that I've been unsure about for a while. While I'm not sure I could see so many variants of Verminlord or Stormfiends, his mechanics and motivations sound excellent.
    Remember: there's no reason to get angry on the forums. Be polite and respectful towards other people's opinions, even if you disagree.

Currently eagerly awaiting the Ogre Kingdoms!
  • cenkisscenkiss Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 222
    OVN lost factions has grudgebringer as a travelling mercenary faction with all unique mercenaries.
  • xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Registered Users Posts: 883

As usual, a fantastic post from xblood_raven with an insightful look at a potential lord pack. This is a tremendous effort and I applaud you for it. Your Dogs of War lord roster is exactly what I'd go with (though I'm still partial to Lietpold the Black, especially as you suggest him). If the starting locations between Morgan and Lietpold were too close, could Morgan perhaps be moved into the Darklands themselves? Perhaps at Pigbarter or, more aptly, the Sentinels so as to closely guard the trade caravans.

Love the Dogs of War mechanics, especially the contract system and the slow development from a horde to a mercenary hub. I wouldn't mind seeing a more in-depth version of your Southern Realms Army Roster Speculation, though I suppose this rather trivializes that.

Also love your thoughts on Thanquol, specifically his starting location and clan, something that I've been unsure about for a while. While I'm not sure I could see so many variants of Verminlord or Stormfiends, his mechanics and motivations sound excellent.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed reading through it (it ended up having more content than I thought). As the Dogs have a decent array of characters, I decided to add in the bonus section of other LLs. I would not be too worried by Morgan and Lietpold starting near each other as other LLs have it like this in the game already. If he did have to move, then Dark Lands could work (although I prefer the one I mentioned for Mortal Empires to get that SOTHR feel from the start).

The Dogs roster is a difficult one as the 'Units' section was me adding more to them. The current roster I have combines their 5th edition book and their official expansion with generic mercenaries. It's decent enough for them at the time being. You (and anyone reading) can comment with more units though. I'm sure there is more out there.

Thanquol was easy to think of in terms of ideas (bar a game 3 start location, no idea where he could end up-somewhere unlucky would be suitable). The 'rat nest' under Marienburg seems quite a hint to Clan Scruten's Bitter Stink and they are the perfect clan for Thanquol to take over. The Stormfiends and Verminlords are the units that fit Thanquol and are likely to be the only ones left by that point. Might as well go all out for them.
    cenkiss said:

OVN lost factions has grudgebringer as a travelling mercenary faction with all unique mercenaries.

Excellent mod. Loved playing Morgan and reliving parts of SOTHR and DO through it. If Morgan made it officially, something like that is what I would want.