Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Why is this game still using Denuvo? You removed it from Steam description but it is still there.

GaudiumGaudium Registered Users Posts: 12
edited November 15 in Technology
You can tell by the EXE size and the fact that if you OC your CPU and change core count you get a hardware identification error that is made by Denuvo.
So what is your problem CA\Sega?

Denuvo was already proven to hinder performance in different titles.
One very noticeable was AC:Origins, the "calls" that DRM does completely obliterates any system.
The EXE files with Denuvo are bloated.
I wouldn't be surprised if at least 15-25% of performance issues are coming from that crap.

Also to note, Total War Saga: Troy is based on a modified Warhammer Engine and is miles better then Warhammer 2 performance wise.
Meaning on my Ryzen 3900x (I am using an RTX2080TI but GPU aside since we are talking about animation stutter which is coming from CPU not being properly utilized) i can create a custom battle of 6k vs 6k and have 60 FPS everything maxed out. Even with the LOD remover mod which renders all units at max quality.

While in Warhammer 3k vs 3k will drop to 35 FPS and 20 FPS later in that battle.
You would just see the game chugging at like 15-25% CPU usage on all cores and the GPU would be at 30-40% tops.

Also, note that they removed the dust effect from Troy which is actually causing serious slowdowns in TW:WH2
In Troy on the other hand, the real performance banger is the foliage. I got everything maxed with 8x antialiasing but the Foliage is off.

Since EGS is also DRM free, you can understand where i am going with this, besides the Engine optimizations.

Here is the proof:

Can you CA and Sega stop torturing your paying customers and remove Denuvo?? Is that too much to ask?
Not to mention if you overlock your system or change which CPU you want to use, with Hyper Threading or without it you will be locked out of your game for 24 hours by Denuvo that is detecting hardware change.
Post edited by dge1 on

Comments

• SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 2,853
    Because it's an effective anti-piracy tool?
  • Krzyhar21Krzyhar21 Registered Users Posts: 63
    SerPus said:

Yeah, but it also punishes honest players, not only pirates. I've heard that version without denuovo run much smoother than the legal one. :disappointed:
    edited November 14
    Krzyhar21 said:

Yeah, but it also punishes honest players

No one is forcing them to buy such games.
  • blaatblaat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    hety OP thanks for raising atttentnion to this

just one question what resolution do you work on?

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,228
    The evil that is Denuvo has no place in my world. Expunge it!
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• 1v01v0 Registered Users Posts: 307
    It protects from piracy true, but it has no meaning if the game has been already cracked (latest version too)......... So now it only hurts paying players...

Many games remove it after the pirates crack it (for example resident evil 7/2/3), it's main use is - protect initial sales !

So yea I want it removed too, having a low-end GPU...
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 8,697
    SerPus said:

A quick look at pirate bay says no.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 3,040
    1v0 said:

It protects from piracy true, but it has no meaning if the game has been already cracked (latest version too)......... So now it only hurts paying players...

Many games remove it after the pirates crack it (for example resident evil 7/2/3), it's main use is - protect initial sales !

So yea I want it removed too, having a low-end GPU...

This. Anti-piracy software only delays piracy, it doesn't stop it, and it doesn't delay it for very long I might add. After that it's totally useless for the developer and borderline malware to any PC it's host game is installed on.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
    "Draconic murder ferret attack dog." - Ben1990 describing Shard Dragons.
    Crossil said:

"A quick look" is hardly a reliable source of statistics.

• CaesarSahlertzCaesarSahlertz Registered Users Posts: 3,273
    SerPus said:

Crossil said:

"A quick look" is hardly a reliable source of statistics.

The fact that there is even ONE version of it on Pirate Bay means Denuvo is a useless measure..

The fact that there is even ONE version of it on Pirate Bay means Denuvo is a useless measure..

It's all about the time that it takes to crack a game.
    SerPus said:

The game is already cracked. Denuvo is useless now and actually hampers performance..

The game is already cracked. Denuvo is useless now and actually hampers performance..

And people already bought the game.
  • neodeinosneodeinos Registered Users Posts: 6,896

SerPus said:

It still protects each DLC releases so it's not useless.
    neodeinos said:

SerPus said:

Each of which are also cracked... So it remain useless... If they want to extend the time between cracks, they can add it to the game immediately after the release a new DLC and then remove it the second it is cracked.. Denuvo is useless 99% of the time it is in a piece of software. And it is of limited use for the remaining 1%..
  • neodeinosneodeinos Registered Users Posts: 6,896

neodeinos said:

SerPus said:

Each of which are also cracked... So it remain useless... If they want to extend the time between cracks, they can add it to the game immediately after the release a new DLC and then remove it the second it is cracked.. Denuvo is useless 99% of the time it is in a piece of software. And it is of limited use for the remaining 1%..
    I want to see it gone but since it still protects a DLC release for some time it's probably why CA isn't going to remove it. After Vampire Coast none of the DLCs were cracked until Shadow and the Blade so Denuvo seems to work well enough to justify keeping it.
    neodeinos said:

neodeinos said:

SerPus said:

I want to see it gone but since it still protects a DLC release for some time it's probably why CA isn't going to remove it. After Vampire Coast none of the DLCs were cracked until Shadow and the Blade so Denuvo seems to work well enough to justify keeping it.
    That is probably mostly because the audience of games usually don't buy DLCs, so the demand for a cracked version of DLC is even smaller..
  • darkgaia01darkgaia01 Registered Users Posts: 334
    so where the warhammer 2 video that shows the effects Denuvo vs cracked version ?
  • 39821739175248623982173917524862 Registered Users Posts: 1,142
    CA knows this and has said it's not a publisher decision, they enforce it themselves. They also said they will never remove denuvo, including old titles like R2. It's also very deceptive to not include Denuvo on the steam page, I think people are just accepting the DRM is here to stay, sadly.

so where the warhammer 2 video that shows the effects Denuvo vs cracked version ?

I don't think there is such a version. From what I know, the cracked versions usually still have denuvo, but somehow bypass its security checks.

The only comparison we can have are from other games that had denuvo removed by their developers.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 1,757
    edited November 14
    I didn't know this. Now that I do I'm actually **** off. I might have accepted it anyway but being lied to is offensive.

I guess I should have known when MP matches weren't filled with hackers.
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.
  • Cadia101Cadia101 Registered Users Posts: 1,010

I didn't know this. Now that I do I'm actually **** off. I might have accepted it anyway but being lied to is offensive.

Wait... your seriously complaining about the lack of hackers ?!
    Cadia101 said:

Wait... your seriously complaining about the lack of hackers ?!
    no I'm thankful for the lack of hackers, i'm saying I should have realized it when I didn't see star dragons with over 10K HP
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.
    and CA is playing a dangerous game too if they don't disclose the DRM anywhere on steam. They sell their product in the US therefore they're subject to US consumer protection laws(as weak as they are). Anyone who wants a full refund for all the products they've purchased from CA could probably win a lawsuit and get it.
  • GerryGamer7GerryGamer7 Munich, Bavaria | GermanyRegistered Users Posts: 417
    Wait wait wait

Could someone explain this to me? Warhammer 1&2 are steam exclusive, right?

So I have bought two games on steam and play them most of the time online on steam
    I cannot sell games like in the old times, because they are bound to my profile
    They look a bit like games from five years ago
    Horizon Zero is running here with 80fps and now the OP tells me
    which I did not know
    that warhammer performs this poorly because of what?
    Denuvo? never heard of ...
    And it seems that this kind of protection is known for slowing things down
    have I understood correctly?
    but when a game is on steam, how can you hack a game, i do not understand

But one thing is for sure, this game performs badly on my monster PC
    MAKE RECORDS MODE THE DEFAULT MODE FOR RANKED GAMES. Period.
    No matter how negative i may sound, i love three kingdoms.
  • 1v01v0 Registered Users Posts: 307
    edited November 14

Wait wait wait

Could someone explain this to me? Warhammer 1&2 are steam exclusive, right?

So I have bought two games on steam and play them most of the time online on steam
    I cannot sell games like in the old times, because they are bound to my profile
    They look a bit like games from five years ago
    Horizon Zero is running here with 80fps and now the OP tells me
    which I did not know
    that warhammer performs this poorly because of what?
    Denuvo? never heard of ...
    And it seems that this kind of protection is known for slowing things down
    have I understood correctly?
    but when a game is on steam, how can you hack a game, i do not understand

But one thing is for sure, this game performs badly on my monster PC

Why this game performs badly = bad optimization, i have low end GPU but most game are playable (I can play RDR2 with 40-50-60 fps on medium/high settings(with low shadows)) ... while this one is ........ Maybe because they rushed it, I don't know. But you can compare it to 3K (wich looks better and has better performance) or to troy.
  • mightygloinmightygloin Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 3,297
    Remove the thing already. You only need it for the first few months of release at best. It definitely has a say in the awful performance of WH2..
    edited November 14
    How about an experiment? Remove Denuvo from the first game. That one is outdated as hell so they lose next to nothing. Then we can see how much it affects performance of that game and, by extension, performance of game 2 and eventually 3.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

Crossil said:

I don't think there is such a version. From what I know, the cracked versions usually still have denuvo, but somehow bypass its security checks.

The only comparison we can have are from other games that had denuvo removed by their developers.
    Of course there is.. But it would require one of the people here, on this forum, to admit that he cracked the game instead of paying. It is the equivalent of social suicide... But sure, if that s what is needed to pretend Denuvo is still needed...
  • coury97coury97 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 647
    Am i allowed to download a pirate version if i already bought both games plus all DLCs? If so it could be tested, as everyone could. I already pay full price for everything, what's the matter?