I REFER ONLY TO CAMPAIGN
The idea crossed only recently my mind, but if you think, none of the TWW2 specific races have good cav units.
Let's go through each race.
- silver helms: which can't even defeat a goblin archer unit on a single charge
- dragon princes: that actually are a good cav when they fight low tier units, which for a T5 expensive unit is like a joke
- ellyrian reavers: aka worse silver helms but actually better since, even if they will lose almost all serious fight, they are better anti-arty with their big speed
- ellyrian reaver archers: imo the best HE cav, they have good range and speed, but sadly still overall garbage since they have like negative ammo so it's hard for them to kill even a single unit
Now for the DE:
- dark riders: ugly ellyrian reavers
- cold one knights: T4 dark riders but with rampage, make silver helms look op
- cold one dread knights: melee version of the above, equally ****, if not even more since it's a tier higher
- doomfire warlocks: good speed, so they at least can take out arty crew, free doombolt, but low af melee stats
- dark riders with crossbow: actually good if the enemy is stationary and don't shoot back since they have shotgun-tier range, but then one can take the good old darkshard and do everything dark riders do but with more damage and a spit of extra ammo
Lizardmen (what, you forgot LM had cavalry? Don't worry, the devs also did):
- cold one spear-riders: DE's cold one knights are statistically better (just go to TWW stats if you want a proof)
- cold one riders: melee verison of the spear-riders, equally good to **** arty's crew and only that
- horned ones: a serious improvement over cold one riders, but still you can't make a melee cav with 45MA 29MD and pretend it won't be crippled after fighting mid tier units or low tier units with bonus vs large, it just don't work
- skeleton horsemen: like, a far worse dark rider, and can't even be spammed like skeleton warriors so here you go carrion 2
- skeleton horsemen archers: overall garbage but TK honestly are all into garbage before constructs, but even then they have low ammo, low damange, and are useless in melee so you might replace one of those with a skeleton warrior and gg it
- nehekhara horsemen: big increase compared to skeleton horsemen, still have problem beating low tier stuff since skeleton horsemen are a vomit statswise from the start
- necropolis knights: 66 speed cav so it's cav just because it's classified as such, base variant is 40MA 41MD so stat wise is mediocre, and the halberd variant specifically against cav is good, just the other constructs tomb kings have are insanely superior (both because stats and heal) so necropolis knights are the moslty ignored.
Honestly, it seems strange in a game where ranged is so powerful people at CA thought that cav would have been too op if done right. And, even stranger, all TWW2 races have **** cav (i know, also TWW1 races have **** cav, but they also have some good ones). What do you peple of the forum think? I'm a ****? Or there's an effective link between the 2 and what is the reason behind it? MP balance? Some dev's childhood trauma? Or maybe, one day, they decided to roll a dice and choose what kind of units would have been unfairly nerfed and the unfortunate one was cav?