Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Age Of High Mass Is Over - The Time of Infantry Has Begun

ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 29,188
So, YTer Zerkovich confirms that CA fixed the knockdown bug that made infantry helpless against high mass animations. He promptly demonstrated Grimgor beating Settra on Sphinx almost to death because he can no longer be kept in near permanent stunlock. Monsters can also no longer wade through infantry units willy-nilly.

Well done.

Also some other changes, damage dealt and damage value are now separately tracked stats, magic became even more braindead safe and you can shoot through treelines if you stand a minimum distance to the forest's edge.

Comments

• AmonkhetAmonkhet Registered Users Posts: 3,986
    Now Settra can finally be buffed.
  • mightygloinmightygloin Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 3,824
    edited November 2020
    Took only 4 years, better late than never though. A great change in the right direction! Reach and stagger still seems to be an issue though, Ungrim took like 3 hits there without being able to respond.

Wouldn't say the age of mass is over though, not even close. Just less abusive.

He also talked about improved charge defense or something which should mean it's fixed as well.

Post edited by mightygloin on
  • ystyst Registered Users Posts: 8,516
    BEST.
    CHANGE.
    EVER.

I mean obviously gonna happen one way or another, despite some who r shockingly against it
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 29,188

Took only 4 years, better late than never though. A great change in the right direction! Reach and stagger still seems to be an issue though, Ungrim took like 3 hits there without being able to respond.

Wouldn't say the age of mass is over though, not even close. Just less abusive.

Well, he's fighting the biggest, most expensive monster that exists, and it has weaknesses that no other SEMs have, so that's fair.

• blindjonnblindjonn Registered Users Posts: 870
    Very good news, though I'm not sure if the SEM multiple hit bug has been fixed or if everything just has considerably higher mass. I hope that heroes on foot have been given as much weight as lords, if only for the Gorebull's sake.

Interestingly, this sweeping change actually makes the new DLC units a little less intimidating. High mass units dominate the new content, so the additions to Skaven and Wood Elves might not be quite as meta-transforming as they seem.
    blindjonn said:

Very good news, though I'm not sure if the SEM multiple hit bug has been fixed or if everything just has considerably higher mass. I hope that heroes on foot have been given as much weight as lords, if only for the Gorebull's sake.

Interestingly, this sweeping change actually makes the new DLC units a little less intimidating. High mass units dominate the new content, so the additions to Skaven and Wood Elves might not be quite as meta-transforming as they seem.

If they fixed it like in the mod, by increasing knockdown resistance to 200%, then you wouldn't see any knockdowns at all.

• WojmirVonCarsteinWojmirVonCarstein Registered Users Posts: 1,359
    Great changes.

1) value/damage dealt: This is awesome. Though we will probably see a lot of complaining about OP/UP units
    2) No min cast distance: nice change, will make vortices more useful. Would love now for large/SEM to take more damage from
    3) abandon settlement: nice QOL change. Even if this is exploitable, it's SP so not a bid deal
    4) knockback change: Now Treetch will finally be the LL that he was supposed to be!!! Great change. Foot Lord meta incoming. Honestly this is great for me as I loved suing foot Strigoi Lord in many MUs. He will now be even better!!
    5) missiles through trees: good QOL change. Won't make a big difference, but it will be cool to have missile units just at an edge of forest which is quite loreful/realistic.
  • blindjonnblindjonn Registered Users Posts: 870
    It's probably too early to tell if elite halberds will actually start doing their job, but that would be pretty special. Being braced factors into the new mechanics somehow, so I'm hopeful.
    Now the question is, which units/lords will this make OP.
    blindjonn said:

It's probably too early to tell if elite halberds will actually start doing their job, but that would be pretty special. Being braced factors into the new mechanics somehow, so I'm hopeful.

I hope VCoast zombie halberds get a nerf. They will outshine regular zombie dechhand mobs by a lot.
    Amonkhet said:

None of them because being on foot still has downsides just no longer the ones that totally crippled their usefulness.

Amonkhet said:

Noctilus on foot?
  • KaffeemannKaffeemann Registered Users Posts: 145
    edited November 2020

Wait, that's supposed to be more years :D

Amonkhet said:

None of them because being on foot still has downsides just no longer the ones that totally crippled their usefulness.
    Grimgor's buffs are likely to be toned down a bit since he wont be tossed around much now. Probs a few others like that who got buffs to compensate.

blindjonn said:

I hope VCoast zombie halberds get a nerf. They will outshine regular zombie dechhand mobs by a lot.
    Now, if regular deckhands were actually worth anything when not a summon.

• mightygloinmightygloin Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 3,824

2) No min cast distance: nice change, will make vortices more useful. Would love now for large/SEM to take more damage from

Wurrzag diving headlong into a massive blob and dropping Gork's Foot on his own head for big profit will look awkward for sure, but somehow fitting for the madlad.

Wurrzag diving headlong into a massive blob and dropping Gork's Foot on his own head for big profit will look awkward for sure, but somehow fitting for the madlad.
    I just wish it wasn't safe to do so. Bringing some giant down to stomp on you should substantially hurt the caster as well.

• AWizard_LizardAWizard_Lizard Registered Users Posts: 1,481
    edited November 2020
    Well that title doesn't fan the flames at all.

Anyway I truly think this change will benefit everyone because now one will have to account for e.g. Tyrion on foot so now one will have to be more creative in building an army in contrast to what was being done till now where you mostly need high mass and anti-large to be competitive.
    Prettiest of the foot overlords.
  • griffithxigriffithxi Registered Users Posts: 1,028
    edited November 2020
    I wonder if the people who have early access to participate in everchosen are not able to talk about this right now?

Going to be interesting to see how this changes the meta. Honestly the amount of large changes in the past 2 patch cycles kind of worries me a bit only because we still have units that were left useless from the last big changes to splash damage. Looks like whatever changed with balance team they are a little more ambitious and less reserved but it makes me wonder if units balanced back when the team was more reserved are going to be on one level and units balanced more recently will be on a different level.
    Easier to trap monsters etc.

Its a huge change, even without the gold and stats tweaks, this alone brings an entirely different approach. Finally weaking those idioitic non inf army, more those these changes would better the game

Let's say I have very, VERY little reason to be generous and conciliatory with the people who were on the other side of this debate.

yst said:

Easier to trap monsters etc.

Its a huge change, even without the gold and stats tweaks, this alone brings an entirely different approach. Finally weaking those idioitic non inf army, more those these changes would better the game

They might need to relook at monster-focused factions.
  • outrage4outrage4 master engineerRegistered Users Posts: 422
    Second change is absolutely the worst change one could ever come up with.

Yeah, why not make caster completely untouchable by cav and infantry. You can even cast NET ON TOP OF CASTER! Unbelievable!

Mazda on steg with NET + BANISHMET + RUINATION ON TOP OF HIMSELFS!

Sorry for caps but this chage is absolutely infuriating. Game breaking, uncalled for and outright stupid change.

Basically vortex and wind casters are bloated corpses like suicide bombers exept they don't nuke themselves.
    edited November 2020

Anyway I truly think this change will benefit everyone because now one will have to account for e.g. Tyrion on foot so now one will have to be more creative in building an army in contrast to what was being done till now where you mostly need high mass and anti-large to be competitive.

Right, this should incentivize people to bring elite infantry a little more where before high tier units with bonus vs infantry were not needed as much.

Grimgor for example will likely be hard to kill cost effectively with a flying lord on monstrous mount but swordmasters will trade up into him fairly well.
  • UagrimUagrim Registered Users Posts: 1,580
    edited November 2020
    Grimgor sliding around on the sand probably will never stop being funny to me but this is a welcome change.

Edit:

Does the last effect work on artillery?
    Amonkhet said:

They might need to relook at monster-focused factions.

Yea best to wait and see what the entire changes consists of. May have slot changes
    outrage4 said:

Second change is absolutely the worst change one could ever come up with.

Yeah, why not make caster completely untouchable by cav and infantry. You can even cast NET ON TOP OF CASTER! Unbelievable!

Mazda on steg with NET + BANISHMET + RUINATION ON TOP OF HIMSELFS!

Sorry for caps but this chage is absolutely infuriating. Game breaking, uncalled for and outright stupid change.

Basically vortex and wind casters are bloated corpses like suicide bombers exept they don't nuke themselves.

Yea that one will be....interesting.
    I figure they wanted to make people use vortex and bombardments more but I didn't expect them to do it like that.
    Hybrid casters who can fight decently with the right spells will be even more valuable now I think.
  • hanenhanen Registered Users Posts: 518
    Game is getting too easy.
  • Disposable HeroDisposable Hero Registered Users Posts: 5,824
    3/5 of these changes could really mess up gameplay for the worse. *facepalm*
  • Cadia101Cadia101 Registered Users Posts: 1,273

3/5 of these changes could really mess up gameplay for the worse. *facepalm*

Minimum cast distance shouldn’t have been removed, the rest are the best.
    Yeah, making casting even safer is the opposite of what they should have done. They should at the very least make the caster less prone to ignore the effects of AoE damage and vortices.