Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Age Of High Mass Is Over - The Time of Infantry Has Begun

12345679»

Comments

• mightygloinmightygloin Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 3,818

Maybe finally we will see more variants of characters played! Like, has anyone every seen Boris, or Karl or Chaos Lord or HE prince or Malakeith on foot?

Not to party-poop but pretty sure you will not see them much often for obvious reasons after the initially curiosity is sated. Karl without gryphon is hard to imagine with or without knockdown; temporary damage abilities will be mostly wasted on foot due to having a hard time picking targets and staying on them. On the bird you just activate them and dive in on your target for massive damage that is nigh impossible to avoid. Same story for Boris or prince.

Chaos Lord has the AP value of generic BOBB and nothing much. Just pay 100 more and bring Sigvald lol

True hybrids like Archaon and Noctilus do really seem even more attractive though. Not sure about Malekith since his melee is not the best and remember that he'd be even easier to goon if not hidden in a blob or something.
  • WojmirVonCarsteinWojmirVonCarstein Registered Users Posts: 1,359

Maybe finally we will see more variants of characters played! Like, has anyone every seen Boris, or Karl or Chaos Lord or HE prince or Malakeith on foot?

Not to party-poop but pretty sure you will not see them much often for obvious reasons after the initially curiosity is sated. Karl without gryphon is hard to imagine with or without knockdown; temporary damage abilities will be mostly wasted on foot due to having a hard time picking targets and staying on them. On the bird you just activate them and dive in on your target for massive damage that is nigh impossible to avoid. Same story for Boris or prince.

Chaos Lord has the AP value of generic BOBB and nothing much. Just pay 100 more and bring Sigvald lol

True hybrids like Archaon and Noctilus do really seem even more attractive though. Not sure about Malekith since his melee is not the best and remember that he'd be even easier to goon if not hidden in a blob or something.
    I never understood this type of game design where you give lots of options, but one of them is superior in all situations. I get that in Campaign, getting mounts is a progression thing so mounts which you unlock later should be more powerful than no mount or ones you unlock earlier. But this can easily be balanced in most cases with cost in MP.

So, either Karl is overcosted on foot, undercosted on Griphon or a combination of both to some degree. I understand that certain options may be more niche, that is fine. But being all around better in every situation is terrible design.

A decent design IMO is something like the Strigoi Vamp Lord. Mostly better on the Terrorghoose, but can be used on foot sometimes. Now with the new patch, he might even be the better pick on foot (or maybe more even?)
  • Cadia101Cadia101 Registered Users Posts: 1,273

I never understood this type of game design where you give lots of options, but one of them is superior in all situations. I get that in Campaign, getting mounts is a progression thing so mounts which you unlock later should be more powerful than no mount or ones you unlock earlier. But this can easily be balanced in most cases with cost in MP.

So, either Karl is overcosted on foot, undercosted on Griphon or a combination of both to some degree. I understand that certain options may be more niche, that is fine. But being all around better in every situation is terrible design.

A decent design IMO is something like the Strigoi Vamp Lord. Mostly better on the Terrorghoose, but can be used on foot sometimes. Now with the new patch, he might even be the better pick on foot (or maybe more even?)
    Mount aren’t a progression anymore, you can skip all the weak one and take the best one for one skill point.
  • WojmirVonCarsteinWojmirVonCarstein Registered Users Posts: 1,359
    Cadia101 said:

Mount aren’t a progression anymore, you can skip all the weak one and take the best one for one skill point.
    Thanks for correction. I haven't played SP in like 2 years. But mounts are still level locked right? So still some kind of progression system?

That still doesn't change my view on how having one option that is alwasy better than another is not good for gameplay.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 29,161

Cadia101 said:

Thanks for correction. I haven't played SP in like 2 years. But mounts are still level locked right? So still some kind of progression system?

That still doesn't change my view on how having one option that is alwasy better than another is not good for gameplay.
    They are level-locked, but you no longer need to invest additional skillpoints to only get the best mount, IE the flying monster one for most characters.

Another decision that simplified stuff that should not have been simplified.

• eumaieseumaies Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,084

I would say Karl on foot will be quite niche but more usable now. Being able to reliably hit back is very helpful for entering into the consideration set.

Also lords like Karl are not necessarily underpriced on griffin but rather their mount is something you can’t get elsewhere in the army. You can have fairly priced lord options that still either rarely or very often contribute something important for the armies you want to make.
  • y4g3ry4g3r Registered Users Posts: 408
    Great fix. Good work on noticing, acknowledging, fixing and getting it out to us! Just remember to keep it for the game 3 code ;)
  • eumaieseumaies Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,084
    y4g3r said:

Great fix. Good work on noticing, acknowledging, fixing and getting it out to us! Just remember to keep it for the game 3 code ;)

I dunno. If anything is fixed or changed it’s not apparent in the games I’m seeing on the current build.