Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Beyond disappointed that Ariel is not a LL

AldernutAldernut Registered Users Posts: 11
She's the embodiment of Wood Elves. She's the Queen. It's her court. She makes the diplomatic decisions. It's her that the envoys to Wood Elves beseech.

Unlike Orion, she's everlasting. Orion has to die each midwinter to be reborn again, through her magic, while she's up year-round. Yet she now is just a hero, while Orion is the lord. That means no representation in the diplomatic screen.

I've been waiting for the Fairy Queen since WH1. As a female player, I'm beyond disappointed at this.
Implement Clan Sniek !

Comments

• TeNoSkillTeNoSkill Registered Users Posts: 2,908
    There will certainly be a mod to compensate for this as there is also one for Isabella
  • BastileanBastilean Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    It's not a big deal, it just means you get to stuff more awesomeness into one army.
  • KixionKixion UKRegistered Users Posts: 27
    I agree with you. Love the twins being added as a lord choice. But Ariel is The Wood Elf. If Alarielle the Everqueen is a playable Lord then Ariel not being is just a bad decision. Sorry CA but I don't think you thought this one through properly.
  • vg45vg45 DenmarkRegistered Users Posts: 25
    Ariel was not in the TT game, Naestra and Arahan were. I am more curious to see if Ariel can be recruited by Orion or if you'll have to confederate to get both in the same army. Kroak is the greatest caster the Warhammer world has ever seen and he is a hero, a great one at that, a surprisingly inspired choice, although it might not have looked that way before he came out. CA could have left Naestra and Arahan or Ariel on the cutting room floor, you get more women and if Ariel is recruitable by every faction like Kroak is for Lizardmen then that means you get more Ariel. I think it makes sense that Ariel is not negotiating with people in the same way the Phoenix King and the council of 13 don't negotiate but instead have various faction leaders do it for them. Ariel is a step above all of that and she cannot get confederated or destroyed by other Wood Elf factions because she is the Wood Elves. As a woman you have nothing to complain about, you are getting 5 new Wood Elf characters (Drycha, Everqueen, Naestra, Arahan and Glade Captain) and every single one of them is a female. I cannot find any mods that make Isabella the person that negotiates in campaign mode, but I have a terrible track record of finding things on the workshop. But now that CA are making a lot more female characters maybe they will someday make a female Strigoi waif hero for me.
  • KixionKixion UKRegistered Users Posts: 27
    @vg45 Actually, yes she was in the table top, just not in the later editions.

Comparing her to Lord Kroak isn’t a bad idea, the problem is she is actually very similar in power and purpose to Alarielle the Everqueen, who is in the game as a legendary lord. They are after all both avatar’s of Isha, the same goddess no less. Consequently, Ariel is powerful, probably even more so than Alarielle, but she’s not “will myself back to life because I decide not to be dead anymore after millennia” powerful. The only characters who really compare to Kroak are Aenarion, Nagash and Sigmar, and maybe Grimnir.

As for your, “As a woman you have nothing to complain about”, debatable but riddle me this; name me a faction leader that is female. Not a playable LL but the actual faction leader, like how Karl Franz Is the leader of the empire and Malekith is the leader of the Dark Elves. The ONLY one is Ariel. Even her counter part Alarielle isn’t actually the leader, she’s the spiritual leader, the ruler is the Phoenix King, Finubar. So making her a hero that can only serve under other lords is definite snubbage to who she is in the lore.

None of that diminishes the welcome and awesome additions they are bringing. But neither do those additions negate what is very obviously a terrible decision.
  • AldernutAldernut Registered Users Posts: 11
    Kixion said:

As for your, “As a woman you have nothing to complain about”, debatable but riddle me this; name me a faction leader that is female. Not a playable LL but the actual faction leader, like how Karl Franz Is the leader of the empire and Malekith is the leader of the Dark Elves. The ONLY one is Ariel. Even her counter part Alarielle isn’t actually the leader, she’s the spiritual leader, the ruler is the Phoenix King, Finubar. So making her a hero that can only serve under other lords is definite snubbage to who she is in the lore.

Yep !

The only faction that comes close to this is Vampire Counts, IF we get Neferata. However, all these are fairly independent and not subject to her rule.

All neuter factions - orcs, lizardmen, skaven - are represented as male. Of the other factions, several have an all-male panel, even though in lore there's definitely room for women. Examples of these are Elspeth von Draken for the Empire, Helgar Longplaits for the Dwarves and Valkia the Bloody for either Norsca or Chaos.

Like you said, Ariel is the ONLY female clearly leading a faction.
    Implement Clan Sniek !
  • torak8988torak8988 Member Registered Users Posts: 53
    I have to agree, but seems like a small fix using a mod, then again in the current version you can have ariel and orion in the same army. not very interesting but pretty okay. i gues they didnt want to bother with making quests and quest items for ariel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file