Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.
We have yet to see everything this DLC has to offer, as CA keep Drycha's units/variants under wraps, yet the reveal of the Twisted and the Twilight has upset many people (myself included) in one way or another and I'd argue there are many reasons to be concerned or disappointed.
- This DLC took 7 months.
- We had the usual communication issues, unless Drycha is hiding a ton of stuff CA may have straight up lied to us.
- Reports are coming in that the Wood Elves have received a big nerf in campaign and possibly MP as well.
- CA has tried to fix Footlords but thrown the baby out with the bathwater and potentially nerfed squishy characters into the dirt.
- The units and generic heroes we're getting, love them or hate them, are mostly re-skins, even the Zoats seemingly.
- Many of the Wood Elves problems and parts of their lore have been straight up ignored from what we know right now.
- They still don't have all their lores.
- This could very well be the final content for the Wood Elves ever (if it is that's really bad, even if what we got here ends up being a net-good).
Naturally when people get upset online they freak out or lash out and online discourse is notoriously toxic (though I've yet to see any straight up abuse personally) people are getting angry and turning on CA big time, going all out against them, saying they were never good, etc.
However, on the otherside (as I've seen happen every single time new content is released) people are Simping for CA HARD! calling all people with issues whining entitled babies, saying this is the best **** we've ever seen, demanding other people buy it even if they don't want it simply because they think it will increase the likelihood of a Beastmen DLC in the future, etc.
I plan on making a measured response to the DLC after the Drycha's free stuff, an attempt to reasonably and respectfully voice concerns about the bad and preach about the good, but I wanted to make this post before then because I just can't stand all this bs back and forth.
So I just wanna make a public service announcement to everyone and say:
- Stop apologising for and blindly defending the games industry! they're here to exploit you first and foremost.
- Remember the devs are humans that have been working very hard under lockdown conditions to provide us this content.
- Remember that any and all problems with the coming content, with the choice of characters or units, dodgy execution etc are 9 times out of 10 going to be GamesWorkshop or Sega or CA execs fault because they're the ones dictating what's allowed, what budget and dev time they get, they're the ones who impose crunch, etc. Grace and the Devs aren't the ones to be blamed (the devs even came out and said they'd love to commit time and resources to updating all the stuff they've already made, but that the higher ups would prefer they focus on making new content and thus more money).
- Regardless of how bad a DLC is, its not worth abusing people over.
- Just because you got what you wanted, doesn't mean everyone else did and doesn't automatically make all criticism about the coming content null and void (also doesn't mean you should victory dance all over others).
- Never strawman and brush of criticism as entitled baby **** because it mostly isn't (even if it is conveyed with hyperbole). Consumer advocacy and a strong vocal community are the only thing standing between us getting good content that we want and us getting microtransactions and race packs that cost £30 for the same amount of content.
- Remember not everyone is as rich as you. I see alot of people advocating for bigger and better things at a much higher cost or laughing at the price tag of DLC's and games because its a pittance to them. Money is tight for many, especially now and when talking about improvising stuff or adjusting price you always need to think from the perspective of those to whom money means alot more.
- CA listens to our criticism (remember the Knights of Morr, Silverin Guard, etc) and the more respectful, composed and coherent it is, the more likely they are to respond positively to it.
Apologies if this seems to preachy or like grand standing, Its just really been bothering me.