Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Helblaster Volley Gun

MamaLuigiMamaLuigi Registered Users Posts: 140
So I'll be honest I don't play empire. But lately I discovered Turin vids so I've been watching lots and lots of matches including some high level ones and I've never seen empire players take the helblaster gun, only the ROR war wagon one. And when I've played against the empire, I've never seen anyone take it either. And from campaign experience, even with all the AI exploits, it was hard to get usage out of. It gets obstructed and is too slow for repositioning. Damage potential is definitely very high if used right, but IDK if for all the cons the cost (1150) is justified. Basically every other empire artillery gets used instead.
Post edited by CA_Will#2514 on
Tagged:

Comments

• Wyvern2Wyvern2 Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    I play empire, and i use the vanilla hellblaster in some matchups, though the build is usually centered around it. Except for cannons all artillery is fairly niche, but i wouldnt consider the hellblaster any more niche than a mortar, and probably more universal than the rocket battery.
    Regularly publish Total War: Warhammer 2 content on my YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPI93p-X2T4YKD18O16bhPw
  • yst#1879yst#1879 Registered Users Posts: 9,983
    I think they r the weakest of the 4 emp art. First off they r expensive and rarely perform as good as mortars and cannons in terms of getting value back. Rockets on the other hand is pretty ok, u can actually see them time to time simply due to their long range.

Hellblaster is pretty niche, u need a good map with good chokes for it. Now with the tree changes, could be interesting as a counterfire vs missiles
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
  • Pocman#6295Pocman#6295 Registered Users Posts: 5,753
    Wyvern2 said:

I play empire, and i use the vanilla hellblaster in some matchups, though the build is usually centered around it. Except for cannons all artillery is fairly niche, but i wouldnt consider the hellblaster any more niche than a mortar, and probably more universal than the rocket battery.

Disagree with the mortar comparative. In QB players bring mortars in almost every MU v WE, for example. Plus is the cheapest option when you don't really want to play artillery but you want to force the enemy to attack you.

I don't think hellblaster I used like that in any MU.
  • Lotus_Moon#2452Lotus_Moon#2452 Registered Users Posts: 12,352
    I like it a lot bs WE and SkV i think its balanced arty
  • The_real_FAUST#6885The_real_FAUST#6885 Registered Users Posts: 2,072
    It's very niche and it's Line of Sight is very tricky.

When Compared to units like ushabti great bow, deck gunners or jezzails it is clear why it - and the organ gin to some extent suffer. And why those missile units are much better.

The organ gun has the advantage of tougher crew with more armour and leadership.

The hellblaster is very squishy and it's range is very easy to overcome

The range on both hellblaster and organ gun could probably go up a bit to 310 which would support their use.
  • AnalogAnalog Registered Users Posts: 325
    They can be brutal against factions that can struggle to contest Artillery fights.

On a gamble, ill bring them vs HE, DE, Bretonia and sometimes chaos.

Its rare they actually get a chance to scoop up any value but sometimes they can do some good work
  • Disposable HeroDisposable Hero Registered Users Posts: 7,031
    I think what holds them back is that both organs and hellfires are in factions where you expect cannons so you will never enter a match vs emp or dawi without any tool to deal with cannons, and then they are shorter range and higher cost so they never pose a bigger problem than you had anyways prepared for. Same with flame cannon.
    Don't fear the knockdown. Control it. Embrace it. Love it! :smile:
  • another505another505 Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    I find it pretty good against bm bret.

As a surprise pick, its not bad but ya its going to be niche when you have like 9 artillery choices.
  • mightygloin#2446mightygloin#2446 Karaz-a-KarakRegistered Users Posts: 6,123
    They are a bit too risky for 1050 when you have versatile great cannons for 800g with much higher range.
  • another505another505 Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    considering that manticore summon, commonly use to shut down guns and arty, will be hit hard but fair, and inf will be stronger at holding the line.

Shorter range artillery probably will be more viable. Hellblaster will probably be "buffed" in the new meta without any stats change itself
  • eumaies#1128eumaies#1128 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 9,508
    edited November 2020
    Wyvern2 said:

It's not totally useless but I would say by comparison mortars are a top notch unit useful in many matchups.
  • FrookFrook Registered Users Posts: 278
    My main problem with them is their low speed, combined with their short range, low fire arc and the rev up time before firing it can be very hard to actually fire at anything without constant baby-sitting. I think they could use a bit of speed buff, especially for turning around. They are gatling guns on wheels they shouldn't be so slow, especially when turning. Turning speed buff alone could make the unit much better.
  • Wyvern2Wyvern2 Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    Hate to break it to the mortar crowd, but normal mortars are pretty darn mediocre, and I find calling a unit that has probably 3-4 decent(not stellar, just decent matchups) top notch to be quite ludicrous. Mortar wagons are something different because you can slow kite with them against a handful of archer spam factions(brets and high elves in particular), but a mortar just loses the counter battery game and has 0 versatility. Either youre shooting light infantry or you have nothing to shoot at. Hellblasters are hardly an autoinclude in every matchup but at least they have versatility, and can fulfill the role of a mortar and then some.
    Regularly publish Total War: Warhammer 2 content on my YT channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPI93p-X2T4YKD18O16bhPw
  • y4g3r#8736y4g3r#8736 Registered Users Posts: 668
    If the forest firing change sticks with artillery, mortars will get a great indirect buff. Just stick them in a small thicket of trees and theyll be immune to counter arty.