Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Fellow Bretonnia Enthusiasts, Give Me Some Lore-Friendly Bret Unit Mod Suggestions

gorgos96gorgos96 MemberRegistered Users Posts: 380
I'm back at modding nowadays and would like to expand the Bretonnian roster. I've already added my favorite units from the lore so I'm up for some suggestions. If you'd like to see a Bretonnian unit from the lore in game, please tell me about them below!

Comments

• LevicariumLevicarium Registered Users Posts: 689
    edited November 2020
    Giant Snails!

Recently saw it on the forums. I think @kasunrathnatunga found them somewhere.

Edit: https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Giant_Snail :D
  • SeanJeanquoiSeanJeanquoi Registered Users Posts: 3,416
    Lords and heroes

Barber surgeon (field medic)
    Chasseur (monster hunter)
    Faceless (assassin)
    Wall Warden (artillery focused)

Infantry units

Flail malitia

Hussite esc militia (flails/maces and shields)

Woodsmen militia (axemen with bonus damage vs tree spirit type units, woodsmen, low defence but high attack. A flanking infantry)

Hermit Knights

Knights of Origo

Missile units

Foresters (essentially huntsman for bretonnia)

Longbowmen (technically peasant bowmen are longbowmen, what this suggestion means is a better archer unit with armour piercing or somethign like that)

Nomads of Gisoreux (hybrid trappers with a net ability, woodsman and stalk)

Herramuts (criminal hybrid units who debuff normal friendly units because they're unchivelrous. Work like rangers)

Cavalry
    Hunting Hounds (cheep, fast anti large unit which isn't large itself)

Sons of Bretonnia (magic cavalry with ethereal water mounts. potentially has bound spells, magic attacks, etc)

Kights of Fracasse (knights with maces, possible RoR)

Artillery

Balista's

Scorpio's

Other
    Wagon Forts (like a melee version of war wagons which can be deployed as field defences)

Mantlets (deployable wooden walls that are used to shield infantry from missile fire)

Palisades

Sappers (unit or character which could potentially dig trenches or buff artillery and missiles.

Franstics Skylances (end times RoR of Pegasus knights)
    I've been meaning to do a post on it for a long time.

It'd also be great if CA or someone were to rework Mounted yeoman to be what they should.

In the Lore and the RPG, mounted yeoman are just as good as knights of the realm, they're better than knights errant but more poorly equipped.

They should be buffed up to be the low/mid tier melee cavalry > Knights Errant (who are shock cav), with more unique models (they aren't given standard equipment, they scrounge what they can from the battlefield)

They should also inspire nearby friendly troops because yeoman are everything peasants aspire to be, they're the one exception to the classist rules in bretonnia. This would give them way more utility, it'd be more loreful and give brets more leadership options which they desperately need.

Mounted Yeoman could be used as a cheep melee cav with a poor mass and charge attack, but maybe a good charge defence due to a loose formation? they could also be posted in and around the front lines to help boost morale (unlike all the rest of the cav and lords who mostly F off and stay far away from the front)
    edited July 2021
    I also forgot to mention

Wagon Reliquary, (is like a mortis engine with a magical artefact on the wagon and 3 Damsels on it)

Squires with bows (from 5th edition)

Caltrops (like in 3 kingdoms)

2 handed Morning star infantry.

pilgrim hero

Ghost units (bowmen, knights of the long lost souls, otherworldly guardians)

Questing beasts (Monstrous cavalry)

Fey spirits

Hippogryph hunters (anti large infantry)

Karmourt's blades (actually good, well trained Men at arms)

Then theres some of their older units which would go well with the robin hood guy (i forget his name off the top of my head):

Rascals, Brigands, Arbalistiers (yes its unchivelrous but so are they) Rapscalions, Ribalds and Villains. All from 3rd edition.
    Post edited by SeanJeanquoi on
  • Arcani_4_Ever#4489Arcani_4_Ever#4489 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,813
    Cow Carcass Trebuchet
  • Kn_Gars#2718Kn_Gars#2718 Registered Users Posts: 3,275

I've been meaning to do a post on it for a long time.

It'd also be great if CA or someone were to rework Mounted yeoman to be what they should.

In the Lore and the RPG, mounted yeoman are just as good as knights of the realm, they're better than knights errant but more poorly equipped.

False, Mounted Yeomen are anything but "as good as knights of the realm" nor are they better than Knights Errant. As simple look at the army book from 6th edition shows this. Prior to 6th edition Mounted Yeomen did not exist, they were a replacement for the older Mounted Squires. If the RPG actually contradicts this, it is in the wrong since Warhammer Fantasy Battles was the main game made by GW while the RPG was a secondary game made by an outside company after 1st edition.

Here are the stats from 6th edition.

Both types of knights have superior stats and special rules

The user formerly known as KN_Gars, thanks for the involunatry rename CA.
    @KN_Gars

I said in their lore.

Their 6th edition army book was an updated roster sheet with virtually no lore in it at all referring to anything other than the basic creation myth of the Brets.

All their lore came from 5th edition and their RPG book which released after the army book and is both the most up to date and the most important piece of literature made for them to date, as it fleshes out their units, provinces, towns, characters, history, etc.

In it, the Yeoman are described as I just went over and they even have stats (though i don't have my sources on hand at the minute so I cant put it up atm).

I also said they're more skilled than Knights Errant, but lack their equipment, that was relevant to their fighting skill, not just a throwaway comment. In the lore, it actually states that Yeoman tend to get more kills than Knights Errant/Knights of the realm, because unlike the knights (who are bogged down by the code of chivalry, honour and procedure) the Yeoman aren't bound by and code of honour at all and can fight as dirty or directly as they want.

However, at the end of the day, they are given inferior mounts (imperial breeds), little to no armour, other than that which they scavange for themselves and its a similar story with their weapons. They don't have squires and smiths waiting on their every word to sharpen, tweak and forge weapons for them like the knights, and thus, despite their skill, their fighting prowess, charge bonus, etc, is worse on paper.
    edited November 2020
    @KN_Gars

Btw, the RPG is the biggest, most extensive and in depth source of Warhammer literature there is. Period. and you should know how closely GW work with people who use their IP.

They are not and never have been illegitimate, and in fact, they are one of the most important sources that Modern Games like Vermintide and Total War Use (Vermintide is almost 1 to 1 the RPG stuff, some maps are literally maps from RPG scenarios).

As for Bretonnia, like I said, its the most up to date, Important and in depth source on the faction there is. Their 6th ed army book had the least lore I've ever seen in a WHFB book (it even walked back on, erased or otherwise forgot about many of the characters and unique stuff they added in the prior editions. Repanse for example is 5th ed. Even ignoring lore, the unit roster itself is miniscule for Bretonnia in 6th edition, its like 2 infantry, 3 cavalry, 1 archer, 1 trebuchet, 1 melee hero, 1 caster hero and a few unit captains). This is likely why GW ended up relying on the RPG to flesh things out.

9/10 of the characters and unique units/RoR or even locations come from the RPG book (like the Nomads, the Village of Mutants/Beastmen in the forest Arden, The Leechworms and Mousillon, the village of liberated commoners who work with the faceless and bandits, Sons of Bretonnia, Wall Wardens, the Herrimauts, Truffle Hounds, even some RoR's CA themselves have already used were from that book.

The Army Books never have been and never will be the beginning and end of Warhammer fantasy, its simply the only thing most people ever bought and read. GW intentionally broke up the lore and rules and sold it to you in various mediums (like a weekly magazine for example) it was an coy business move. Often companies like this will intentionally reserve lore or exclusive things for side projects like RPG books to encourage fans expand into that spin off game (and that's exactly what they did).

CA literally just used a fan made kitbash from a White Dwarf article from 10 years ago in their latest DLC (Ghorich) and yet somehow people like you haven't quite got the message yet that CA and GW don't care about the perceived purity of the source?

Other things that were either made up or had zero army book legitimacy: Nakai, Sacred and Ancient Kroxigors, Helman Ghorst, River Troll Hags, almost none of the mistwalker units, War Lions, Arcane Phoenix, Great Stag Knights, Rogue Idol, Hyppogryph Knights, blessed Trebuchet, Vampire Coast, lava spiders, bohemond's beastslayers, i could go on.
  • Elysium1805Elysium1805 Registered Users Posts: 46

Giant Snails!

Yes please!
    "We see that which was and thus we know your secrets. We see that which shall be and thus we know your fate. The now is trivial to us - we know the day we perish is not this day." - Kairos Fateweaver
  • gorgos96gorgos96 Member Registered Users Posts: 380

Lords and heroes

Barber surgeon (field medic)
    Chasseur (monster hunter)
    Faceless (assassin)
    Wall Warden (artillery focused)

Infantry units

Flail malitia

Hussite esc militia (flails/maces and shields)

Woodsmen militia (axemen with bonus damage vs tree spirit type units, woodsmen, low defence but high attack. A flanking infantry)

Hermit Knights

Knights of Origo

Missile units

Foresters (essentially huntsman for bretonnia)

Longbowmen (technically peasant bowmen are longbowmen, what this suggestion means is a better archer unit with armour piercing or somethign like that)

Nomads of Gisoreux (hybrid trappers with a net ability, woodsman and stalk)

Herramuts (criminal hybrid units who debuff normal friendly units because they're unchivelrous. Work like rangers)

Cavalry
    Hunting Hounds (cheep, fast anti large unit which isn't large itself)

Sons of Bretonnia (magic cavalry with ethereal water mounts. potentially has bound spells, magic attacks, etc)

Kights of Fracasse (knights with maces, possible RoR)

Artillery

Balista's

Scorpio's

Other
    Wagon Forts (like a melee version of war wagons which can be deployed as field defences)

Mantlets (deployable wooden walls that are used to shield infantry from missile fire)

Palisades

Sappers (unit or character which could potentially dig trenches or buff artillery and missiles.

Franstics Skylances (end times RoR of Pegasus knights)

knights of origo are already done by darok.

I think I will do the Knights of Fracasse next with unit cap but no RoR

Giant Snails!

Yes please!
    That's just too hard. Aside from a brand new model, it would need animations as well. It's beyond my capabilities.

I also forgot to mention

Wagon Reliquary, (is like a mortis engine with a magical artefact on the wagon and 3 Damsels on it)

Squires with bows (from 5th edition)

Caltrops (like in 3 kingdoms)

2 handed Morning star infantry.

pilgrim hero

Ghost units (bowmen, knights of the long lost souls, otherworldly guardians)

Questing beasts (Monstrous cavalry)

Fey spirits

Hippogryph hunters (anti large infantry)

Karmourt's blades (actually good, well trained Men at arms)

Then theres some of their older units which would go well with the robin hood guy (i forget his name off the top of my head):

Rascals, Brigands, Arbalistiers (yes its unchivelrous but so are they) Rapscalions) Ribalds and Villains. All from 3rd edition.

I will do questing beasts as well, noted.
  • HighPriest_Astragoth#4150HighPriest_Astragoth#4150 Registered Users Posts: 641

Giant Snails!

Can I just say, that there is a reason that tons of people are still mad at GW for canning Fantasy for Age of Sigmar, stuff like this, its just freaken amazing, and I'm not bashing AoS as much as it seems, it is getting much better as time goes on, but hell, all the lies about how Fantasy was stuck with such little creativity to explore, and here we have a monster, a monster that, that may have even been slain by a once former humane, now turned Grail Knight, arguably the greatest Human warrior there is, hell for all we know, Gilles le Breton, better known as The Green Knight, killed one of these truly horrible monster back in his day, now look at him!

So the next time you see Grail Knights charging at you, take a moment and remember, always remember this, that the chances that at least one of their members, a super saiyan of the Warhammer Fantasy world, was graced by the presence of The Lady, for his many deeds of valor, and among those deeds, one of which, was the slaying of a giant, slimy, dimwitted, nearly no brained snail, and right before he cuts off the head of one of your dudes, remember that he got to sip from the chalice of said god for deeds such as these.

On a more serious note, Medieval manuscripts did show tons of Knight vs Snail battles, I am not joking, look em up, but ill post a few.

Truly! these Gian Snails must be devils! devils I tell you! Its just Empire propaganda diminishing the good name and deeds of the Knights to such fair lands as those of Bretonnia!
    Hear the summons of Hashut!
    The Dark Father calls you to slaughter,
    Blood and fire exhorts you to war!
    Stretch your limbs of blood-filed steel,
    The Dawi-Zharr march fourth once more!
    Answering the summons of Hashut!

-From the K'daai rituals of awakening.

Giant Snails!

Can I just say, that there is a reason that tons of people are still mad at GW for canning Fantasy for Age of Sigmar, stuff like this, its just freaken amazing, and I'm not bashing AoS as much as it seems, it is getting much better as time goes on, but hell, all the lies about how Fantasy was stuck with such little creativity to explore, and here we have a monster, a monster that, that may have even been slain by a once former humane, now turned Grail Knight, arguably the greatest Human warrior there is, hell for all we know, Gilles le Breton, better known as The Green Knight, killed one of these truly horrible monster back in his day, now look at him!

So the next time you see Grail Knights charging at you, take a moment and remember, always remember this, that the chances that at least one of their members, a super saiyan of the Warhammer Fantasy world, was graced by the presence of The Lady, for his many deeds of valor, and among those deeds, one of which, was the slaying of a giant, slimy, dimwitted, nearly no brained snail, and right before he cuts off the head of one of your dudes, remember that he got to sip from the chalice of said god for deeds such as these.

On a more serious note, Medieval manuscripts did show tons of Knight vs Snail battles, I am not joking, look em up, but ill post a few.

Truly! these Gian Snails must be devils! devils I tell you! Its just Empire propaganda diminishing the good name and deeds of the Knights to such fair lands as those of Bretonnia!
    lmao whatsup with these medieval snail stuff never heard of it before... Why?
  • LevicariumLevicarium Registered Users Posts: 689

Giant Snails!

This is amazing. You made my day, brother!
  • sykall#1105sykall#1105 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,001
    edited November 2020
    gorgos96 said:

Giant Snails!

lmao whatsup with these medieval snail stuff never heard of it before... Why?
    They are medival memes. Scripures back then were very precious, and thus were often decorated with images unrelated to the text itself. And for some reason jousting snakes were a well-liked motive. Probably because they were/are funny. And always using brave knights vs dragons, or the live of saints or bible motives would get dull after a while.
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
  • Eliak_The_Rat_MercEliak_The_Rat_Merc Registered Users Posts: 702
    edited November 2020
    Hermit Knights : small unit of foot Grail Knights
    Herrimaults : sneaky ranged infantry with good range and dmg, but fragile like Dwarfen ego
  • BronzebeardBronzebeard Registered Users Posts: 395

Giant Snails!

I NEED THIS! Mount option please!
  • HighPriest_Astragoth#4150HighPriest_Astragoth#4150 Registered Users Posts: 641

Artwork from during the Storm of Chaos, depicting a brave Bretonnian Giant Snail defending its master from a Dawi Zharr Bull-Centaur, as the Daemon bounded shield screams incoherently
    - 2521 IC colorized
    The Dark Father calls you to slaughter,
    Blood and fire exhorts you to war!
    Stretch your limbs of blood-filed steel,
    The Dawi-Zharr march fourth once more!
    Answering the summons of Hashut!

-From the K'daai rituals of awakening.
  • saweendra#3399saweendra#3399 Registered Users Posts: 19,304
    edited November 2020
    Check out my signature i have compiled all bretonnian supernatural units . Well except ghost archers

Amd Gaint snail discovery was @FungusHound i belive

TLDR

all bret super natural units.

Sons of bretonnia as lords and heroes melee caster hybrids

As units cav with bound spells they use tridant, long spear and flail

They from court beanth story line

Naiads water sprits.

Court beanth story line plus mention in the rule book for fantasy battles 8th eddition

Kelpies Friends with Naiads from wood elf army book

Lake lions from court beanth story line

Questing beasts from concept art rest is more or less covered by others.

#givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc

• Tanegashima_TokitakaTanegashima_Tokitaka Registered Users Posts: 84
    Okay, I know I'm a bit late, but I can think of a few things:

-a basic ballista
    -herrimaults (ranger type unit with stalk: think dark elves shades without the armor piercing) and possibly a mounted variant
    -Long bows (I know the peasant bowmen already wield long bows, but whatever, we basically just need a higher tier bow unit with better morale and a tad more armor piercing)
    -peasant mobs variants (how about one with torches/fire and one with pitchforks/small anti-large bonus)
    -Pegasus mount option for the damsels
    -more lores of magic (especially lore of light)
    -foot knights (ideally hermit knights, virtue of empathy with halberds or knights of monfort)
    -a better variant of the grail reliquae (think dark elves' cauldron of blood or skaven's Screaming Bell) ideally also available as a mount option for prophetesses (call it grail shrine or something)
    -a hounds unit (Bretonnia had the truffle hounds in the lore: basically a regular hound unit with frenzy)
    -the "sons of Bretonnia" (depending on the interpretation of the lore they could function like the dark elves' Doomfire Warlocks
    - "Spirits of the fey": an ethereal cav unit functioning like the vampire counts' hexwraiths)
    -a "faceless" hero (possibly even lord option): themed after the herrimaults and functioning like the Empire's Huntsman General
    -grail knights mounted on "questing beasts" (functions like the Empire's Demigryph Knights with halberds)
    -deployable "stakes" for peasant bowmen (this one one however might be complicated to implement)
    -shielded variant for foot squires
    -and now if you really want to get creative there's a few possibilities: you could have giant snails riders (lore accurate) functioning like the Vampire Coast's Rotting Prometheans (maybe with some sort of "slime" ability decreasing some stats like maybe speed, melee defense or leadership)
    -Or maybe a single entity monster. That one doesn't appear in the lore, but if you allow CA to expand on it (the way they did with Cylostra) a cool idea would be to make a nod to French popular mythology. They have the "Tarasque" for example (not the T-Rex looking one from D&D): a dragon turtle with a scorpion tail that was magically tamed by a nun: can you think of a better thematic fit? (you could make it work like a stegadon of bastiladon with poison attack, with a feral variant and a weapon platform variant for a ballista, possibly even as a mount option for the damsels).

Now for the campaign mechanics:
    -add the troths for the damsels
    -rework the vows mechanics it's completely idiotic that new lords can't recruit cav without crippling your economy: ideally you could replace the economic penalty with a leadership penalty
    -add an errantry mechanic (you could make it function like the dark elves' Blood Voyage or like the Greenskins new waaagh armies mechanics
    -rework the "favor of the lady" campaign ability so it doesn't derp out during sieges
    -rework the "peasantry mechanic". It's just plain awful at the moment (if it can't be reworked I'd say just scrap it plain and simple)
    -And now for the more daring ideas: how about giving you a campaign exclusive limited access to gunpowder weapons? (like basic bombards and harquebuses maybe?) incurring huge chivalry costs (either during recruitment or every turn spent in Bretonnia) and diplomatic penalties on fellow bretonnian factions: it would be an interesting risk vs rewards mechanic and would put into focus the inherent tension between tradition and modernity that shapes the Bretonnian identity in the lore (it would be mostly lore accurate anyway since the bretonnians know how to make guns. They just refuse to use them on their own soil, but make limited use of them through mercenaries during errantries, and their navy makes proper use of cannons)