Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

How to get more ppl into MP, race rotation idea

DrizztaDrizzta Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 42
TLDR: Weekly rotation of DLC units in MP, see "Idea" at bottom

First of all let me start off quick in appraising the new DLC! This is the first time in WH1+2 that I have been looking closely almost daily for more information with the new DLC, pausing videos to check out units stats. I like the SP experience in campaign, but I for sure wouldn't nerd all the information so much if it wasn't for the MP in WH2.
I have the feeling that CA have the impression that MP is not worth alot of time and they are probably backed up by their user activity data. So here I am trying to explain to you why this data is misleading, please read on.

I got two mates who plays SP and co-op campaign constantly. They are not keen on the multiplayer aspect of things, mostly because the gap in skills there is coming directly from fighting AI against human players. This is obvious, and here the game needs much better ladder system and other stuff, so you won't get matched up against a "pro" in your first or second game of MP.
After getting them to watch some of my MP games, while I was playing, they got really hooked on MP. They just needed that push. Is like they got the games worth back AGAIN from new, after hours of hours of campaign.

For me starting in MP, it felt like learning a new game. I now know almost all mechanics in game. Doubt most SP campaign players know basic stuff that AP damage is actually "pure" damage, the difference in normal/magic/fire attacks and resi, how big of a role attack-animation plays (and similar like how Halberd units hits slower than regulary inf units), and so much more.

I understand MP is not for everyone, I gotta say though I reaaallly think this game have some insanely amount of potential on the MP aspect. I will always enjoy the new content, booting up a new campaign, but first of all I would never buy all DLC's and secondly I would not play as much if it were not for MP. I think many people, with just a small push, would love MP.
I always hated (found it trivial) most of micro in pc gaming, so I never played stuff like star craft and if I played a game like total war I would never ever use units like Chariots or skirmish units. Now I not only use these units in MP, but in SP too and having fun with them. I think micro is just a barrier you need to learn the basic of, to be able to have fun with.
- This is something of a barrier though, several people won't play games with a high micro skill cap, which Total War in MP always will be without making it a mobile game. How to make it easier for people to learn I don't know....

Okay that was my take on why some data will mislead you into thinking alot of people would have 0 interest in MP and why you could sell even more content if you used resources on the MP part of the game.

Following is an idea to make it possible for people to try Total War Warhammer out in MP, without having to be a TW nerd and own all DLC's.
Quite a few games have this system actually, even those F2P/P2W games. It's made to get more active MP players and to get people hooked on your product too, kinda win/win for the seller and consumer.

Idea:

You could do a weekly rotation between the races where you unlock ALL dlc units for that race. As long as you have the base games (WH1+2), you are able to be a part of this rotation and play the given race that week in MP. If you want to restrict it more, lets say every weekend or smth.
I don't think you are losing anything towards the players who only play SP/campaign, and you will open up for many players to play MP who would have never bought all games+dlc anyway since they probably wont play SP (but now might buy the content for MP, if they like what they see in MP).

Comments

• WojmirVonCarsteinWojmirVonCarstein Registered Users Posts: 1,224
    That is a great idea! 100% support.

Here are some other things the game needs

1) More accurate, clearer and more detailed ranking and stats system for MP
    2) along with 1, a better matchmaking system
    3) new maps and fix some old ones. Specifically, I think deployment zones should be smaller. What I hate is when the deployment zones are huge and I deploy on one side and the enemy on the other and then we spend 5 minutes shuffling and rotating to face each other.
    4) more game modes. I think something like a "randomly generated army" match might be fun. While it takes away the fun/skill component of army building. It also makes for some interesting games with units/abilities you would never normally take. Sure sometimes you might have an army that struggles against an enemy, but this will be part of the "gamble".

• TicladesignTicladesign Registered Users Posts: 66
    More game modes is always a plus.

The problem with the Skill gap has several causes. The first is the problem with the High skilled ("pro") players using what we call "smurf" accounts (usually level 0 steam accounts that are set to private) to get into matches with low skilled players, which then results in the second problem: Toxicity. Lower skilled players get yelled at, and alot. Even mid skilled players like myself get screamed at by these so called high skill players (well until you defeat them I guess) because micro is bad, or we do bad at the game and oh boy do they like to rub that in.

My responce to the high skill players has always been, take a hike to players more your skill level, and leave us Mid skill players in peace If you cannot behave around us.

Only solution my friend and me have come up with is having a Gameroom that *clearly* says Mid Skill-no unfair builds. Will it stop the smurf accounts, likely not. But it is at least an announcement what kind of skill level we expect in order to have a good game session going. We do check steam accounts before starting the game and ask questions if we run into a private level 0 steam account.
  • blindjonnblindjonn Registered Users Posts: 869
    Drizzta said:

You could do a weekly rotation between the races where you unlock ALL dlc units for that race. As long as you have the base games (WH1+2), you are able to be a part of this rotation and play the given race that week in MP. If you want to restrict it more, lets say every weekend or smth.
    I don't think you are losing anything towards the players who only play SP/campaign, and you will open up for many players to play MP who would have never bought all games+dlc anyway since they probably wont play SP (but now might buy the content for MP, if they like what they see in MP).

This was actually used on one of the recent Age of Empires 2 multiplayer systems, and it was very effective. It gave players a taste for the DLC races, which they often bought afterwards. It would work very well in Total War, which is more SP leaning - players would go into MP/custom battles to try the powerful DLC units, which they would then buy for their campaigns. It would also give brand new players more of a fighting chance online, without the cost barrier that multiple lord packs present. Eventually, they'd buy the packs too - a demo has always been a great advertisement.
  • DrizztaDrizzta Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 42
    Yeah it seems I'm not the only one thinking this could be win/win for CA/GW and us consumers.

There are so many factions and more are incoming. So if someone is playing with Skaven in the week where all Skaven DLC units are unlocked in MP and likes them, he prolly don't want to wait 10+ weeks for Skaven to go into rotation again and will buy the content instead.

For the other points mentioned, I would say is right now purely up to the community to get new players hooked on MP. There is no help at all to transit from SP to MP from the game. You have to play with someone in the community, talk or look here on the forum for "tutorials".

• andrewbh2003andrewbh2003 Registered Users Posts: 167
    i think the number one issue really is the lack of any matchmaking at all

like getting wrecked by an everchosen champion on your first QB i imagine would be very very discouraging and not fun at all
  • JoukeSeinstraJoukeSeinstra Registered Users Posts: 281
    How about not throwing new players beyond the 7th gate of hell? Let them taste victory, unit skin rewards and reinforcing confidence. Making an actual matchmaking where people can match within their range of competence. Someone with 3000 hours across TW titles in MP will destroy players who just show up for some casual interest.

We know the problem is not implementation but CA outright refusing to boldly changing the system. Take the *cough* avatar system from Shogun 2 for example. There is no f*cking way in hell they do not have competent programmers capable of developing and implementing an ELO system.

Suggestions are meaningless if they fall on deaf ears.
  • XxXScorpionXxXXxXScorpionXxX Registered Users Posts: 1,889
    MP is never going to take off until CA decides they actually want to support it. Imo they're leaving a majority of their profits on the table by focusing on catering to the single player crowed exclusively with MP as an after thought.
    Request scorched body textures, poisoned dying animations for infantry's skeletons, a blood slider that allows us to control how much blood appears in battle and make proper death animations for all ethereal units so they vanish for Blood for the Blood God 3.
  • FrookFrook Registered Users Posts: 181
    I think this is a great idea but the game really needs a matchmaking. We could see effect of this in some strategy games such as AoE2 which had its multiplayer scene revitalized. Proper ranked does tend to have a pull, not only because ranked itself but because it drives a more sharp separation between ranked players and casual players.
  • Captain_ShieldsCaptain_Shields Registered Users Posts: 2
    Want to keep this thread going until we got a formal patch, heck as me and my mates have joked about we would even be willing to PAY for an add-on that allows at least a 4 player head to head in campaign for any total war title(eg attila warhammer etc etc) could work the same way as sid meier's civilization multiplayer, simultaneous turns, all players take their turns at the same time until turn timer finishes or everyone clicks end turn.
    So yea if you are reading creative assembly, we WILL pay for a DLC for 4 player head to head campaign

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file