Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

DLC for DLC isn't actually DLC for DLC

WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 5,114
Think about this guys.

Do you need Realm of the Wood Elves in order to purchase the Twisted and the Twilight? No. Do you need the Twisted and the Twilight in order to play the Realm of the Wood Elves? Also no. You don't require both in order to play the Wood Elves, you only require one. What T&T offers exclusively is a single new LL and several new units, what RotWE offers exclusively is three new LLs. Campaign and Race packs are just extra wide LPs focused on a single race instead of two. We aren't paying for the same thing twice, we're paying for different characters for the same race.

The same goes for Beastmen. If the next LP comes out and we get Taurox, Doombulls, the Ghorgon and a few other goodies, we're not paying for the Beastmen race again, just for those new things. Likewise if someone buys it, decides that they enjoy the BM and wants to play as another LL, they can purchase CotBM for three new LLs. CotBM doesn't suddenly become DLC for DLC just because they purchased the newer DLC first, why should the second BM LP become DLC for DLC just because it's newer?

Here's what DLC for DLC would look like in this, if you could purchase the Twisted and the Twilight at full price but only got access to the Skaven side, or more annoyingly, if you got access to the Sisters of Twilight, but your roster was limited to Spellweavers, Bladesingers, Great Stag Knights, Zoats and Ariel; I would not want to play a campaign with a roster of 5 units. That would be DLC for DLC and a complete and utter rip off.

The point I'm trying to make is that we really should stop making a big fuss about this issue. We're not forced to buy two components just to use one.
Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
Me when I see a LL character implemented as a LH.

Bring naval battles to Warhammer CA!

Comments

• ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 4,424

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 31,132
    The Wood Elves are a DLC. This is a DLC for the wood Elves. Thus DLC for DLC.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

"I like small words" - Winsy C

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, Greater Demon of the Ogre Kingdoms, Teller of Truths, Enemy of Lies, Emperor of a lost Empire

• VladdyVladdy Registered Users Posts: 403
    If you buy only Sisters of Twilight, do you have to play only with bladesingers, zoats and great stag knights? Or do you get also orion/durthu units?
  • ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 4,424
    Vladdy said:

If you buy only Sisters of Twilight, do you have to play only with bladesingers, zoats and great stag knights? Or do you get also orion/durthu units?

No, you get their entire roster. Besides the flc units they’re adding.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

• WaaaghCheifWaaaghCheif Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,295
    Vladdy said:

If you just buy Sisters you get the DLC units + Wood Elves Base Roster WITHOUT Orion and Durthu. No Drycha either.
  • WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 5,114

This DLC gets you the Wood Elves roster, but not Orion, Durthu or Drycha.

The original Realm of the Wood Elves gets you the Wood Elves roster, but not the Sisters of Twilight and the select few units added with the LP.

A DLC needs the base game in order to function, DLC for DLC would require the first DLC for the second to function. Both of these DLC are fully functional independent of one another.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King

• Spellbound55Spellbound55 Registered Users Posts: 864
    Wyvax said:

Think about this guys.

Do you need Realm of the Wood Elves in order to purchase the Twisted and the Twilight? No. Do you need the Twisted and the Twilight in order to play the Realm of the Wood Elves? Also no. You don't require both in order to play the Wood Elves, you only require one. What T&T offers exclusively is a single new LL and several new units, what RotWE offers exclusively is three new LLs. Campaign and Race packs are just extra wide LPs focused on a single race instead of two. We aren't paying for the same thing twice, we're paying for different characters for the same race.

The same goes for Beastmen. If the next LP comes out and we get Taurox, Doombulls, the Ghorgon and a few other goodies, we're not paying for the Beastmen race again, just for those new things. Likewise if someone buys it, decides that they enjoy the BM and wants to play as another LL, they can purchase CotBM for three new LLs. CotBM doesn't suddenly become DLC for DLC just because they purchased the newer DLC first, why should the second BM LP become DLC for DLC just because it's newer?

Here's what DLC for DLC would look like in this, if you could purchase the Twisted and the Twilight at full price but only got access to the Skaven side, or more annoyingly, if you got access to the Sisters of Twilight, but your roster was limited to Spellweavers, Bladesingers, Great Stag Knights, Zoats and Ariel; I would not want to play a campaign with a roster of 5 units. That would be DLC for DLC and a complete and utter rip off.

The point I'm trying to make is that we really should stop making a big fuss about this issue. We're not forced to buy two components just to use one.

This is the model CA has settled on to allow for expansions to content not a part of the current game in the cycle without devaluing or invalidating the previous products. It's a good system where you are able to purchase content a la carte. I certainly think the idea of a lord pack expanding a race sold either in a previous game or in the DLC of a previous game is not something we should fear. But...

There is a difference between T&T and other cross game lord packs. Namely, If I wanted the rest of the wood elf stuff I have to buy not only the RoTWE but game 1. DLC for DLC may not be a particularly useful term but there is an important distinction to be made here, one that will apply to any lord packs that include a DLC race. This still isn't a problem since most of those packs are priced accordingly with 1 major exception.

The original beastmen DLC does not contain a complete experience and is currently hard to defend as worth the price of entry. Even with a rework and generous FLC offers like the wood elves got a beastmen lord pack is going to include units central to the roster, unlike the wood elves who received a useful expansion but were already mostly worth the cost.

Is this a reason to boycott CA or start an angry mob about DLC for DLC? Of course not. CA has shown they will provide massive gameplay updates for aging content at no additional charge, while selling expansions that are engaging and add useful tools to a factions roster without homogenizing the races. It is however something to keep in mind when evaluating CA's future decisions and should definitely not be dismissed out of hand.

Having said all that, CA has so far done nothing to suggest they aren't trying to make this trilogy the best they can while still being a business, which is pretty impressive considering the industry we are talking about. If they stay the course we won't need any pitchforks.
    ROMOBOY said:

Vladdy said:

No, you get their entire roster. Besides the flc units they’re adding.

Vladdy said:

If you just buy Sisters you get the DLC units + Wood Elves Base Roster WITHOUT Orion and Durthu. No Drycha either.
    Wyvax said:

The original Realm of the Wood Elves gets you the Wood Elves roster, but not the Sisters of Twilight and the select few units added with the LP.

A DLC needs the base game in order to function, DLC for DLC would require the first DLC for the second to function. Both of these DLC are fully functional independent of one another.
    Thanks.
    So, I have to say that I agree with op.
    edited November 2020
    Wyvax said:

Wood Elves are a DLC, correct? This is a DLC, correct? This DLC is for Wood Elves, correct? Yes, yes, and yes.

In a literal sense this is a DLC for DLC.
    "There's no fun in picking on the weak. If you must, go for the mountain high, the language most foreign, target the strong." - Kenny Florian

Forum Terms & Conditions

I am The Beast, Son of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, Conqueror of Mountains, purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, Greater Demon of the Ogre Kingdoms, Teller of Truths, Enemy of Lies, Emperor of a lost Empire

• MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,614
    It is a DLC for DLC. It adds content to DLC race.

Wyvax said:

Wood Elves are a DLC, correct? This is a DLC, correct? This DLC is for Wood Elves, correct? Yes, yes, and yes.

By that same logic the Twisted and the Twilight counts as DLC for the Shadow and the Blade because it adds new Skaven stuff for Clan Eshin, which in turn counts as DLC for the Prophet and the Warlock cause it is also adds new Skaven stuff for Clan Skryre.

So no, it's not DLC for DLC, it's DLC for DLC for DLC! The fact that they are all totally functional independent of one another is completely irrelevant so long as they focus on the same race. A very rational and logical stance to take indeed.

• ystyst Registered Users Posts: 9,515
    Pathetic, all this for what $10?
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.

Wyvax said:

I disagree.
    Call the Sisters a DLC for DLC is misiformation becouse people will think they have to buy Realm of the Wood Elves in order to play them.

So I think we should stop to call them this way becouse can cost, in a literal sense, a waste of money for people.
    edited November 2020
    Vladdy said:

Wyvax said:

I disagree.
    Call the Sisters a DLC for DLC is misiformation becouse people will think they have to buy Realm of the Wood Elves in order to play them.

So I think we should stop to call them this way becouse can cost, in a literal sense, a waste of money for people.
    Then call it LP for DLC for the sake of optics. Not that it will change the fact that it is indeed DLC for DLC.
    Post edited by Maedrethnir on
  • GreenColouredGreenColoured Registered Users Posts: 4,186
    Even after CA releases DLC for DLC. The "no DLC for DLC"-crowd still lingers.

sigh...

Vladdy said:

Wyvax said:

I disagree.

Then call it LP for DLC for the sake of optics. No that it will change the fact that it is indeed DLC for DLC.
    I'd like to see you said this to people that buyed Realm of the Wood elves only becouse they understood they need it to play sisters. I think they will kick your ass quite hard.

Stop with this misinformation. And bad logic.

Sisters are a "DLC for Total Warhammer 2".

Or do you think you can play them if you own Total Warhammer 1 AND Realm of the Wood elves ?

Even after CA releases DLC for DLC. The "no DLC for DLC"-crowd still lingers.

sigh...

To be honest, I figured my topic was the "so incredibly obvious truth, that saying it out loud would automatically designate you an idiot" take. But I decided to bite the bullet and be the village idiot since people still bicker about it.

Vladdy said:

Vladdy said:

Wyvax said:

I disagree.

Then call it LP for DLC for the sake of optics. No that it will change the fact that it is indeed DLC for DLC.
    I'd like to see you said this to people that buyed Realm of the Wood elves only becouse they understood they need it to play sisters. I think they will kick your ass quite hard.

Or do you think you can play them if you own Total Warhammer 1 AND Realm of the Wood elves ?

Are the Wood Elves DLC race? Yes, they are. Does T&T add new content to the Wood Elf race? Yes, it does. Thus it is DLC for DLC.

• jamesbluewavejamesbluewave Registered Users Posts: 531
    And this is why CA sells you most of the game in DLC and not the base game🙃
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Registered Users Posts: 11,042
    You’re right ofcourse. This is clearly a case of FLC for DLC (Drycha).
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)

Vladdy said:

Vladdy said:

Wyvax said:

I disagree.

Are the Wood Elves DLC race? Yes, they are. Does T&T add new content to the Wood Elf race? Yes, it does. Thus it is DLC for DLC.

This logic is simply wrong.
    Becouse T&T doesn't add new content to the Wood Elf of Total Warhammer 1.
    T&T ARE the Wood Elf for Total Warhammer 2.

Well, let's see if now you guys understood with a simply test.

To play Sisters of Twilight do you have to buy ( only one is correct):

1) Total Warhammer 1 and Realm of the Wood elves. You don't need Total Warhammer 2 becouse T&T is a DLC for Realm of the Wood elves that is a DLC for Total Warhammer 1.

2) Total Warhammer 2.

Every person who can answer this easy question can understand why "DLC for DLC" is wrong and misinformation ( disrespect people money, and so people hard work, it's bad ) .
    The others can keep troll around and try to make people waste money.
    Vladdy said:

Vladdy said:

Vladdy said:

Wyvax said:

I disagree.

1) Total Warhammer 1 and Realm of the Wood elves. You don't need Total Warhammer 2 becouse T&T is a DLC for Realm of the Wood elves that is a DLC for Total Warhammer 1.

2) Total Warhammer 2.

Every person who can answer this easy question can understand why "DLC for DLC" is wrong and misinformation ( disrespect people money, and so people hard work, it's bad ) .
    Let's assume that I'm the owner of Game1, RotWE and Game2. Do I get to play with the Great Stags without owning T&T? No, I don't. Thus it does add new content to the Wood Elf of Total Warhammer 1. It is DLC for DLC.
  • SeanJeanquoiSeanJeanquoi Registered Users Posts: 3,413
    @Wyvax

Drycha and a bunch of the FLC content this time is literally locked behind the Realm of the Wood Elves DLC. CA has essentially added stuff to that DLC 4 years later.

That being said, I'm not inherently against the idea, Realm of the Wood Elves £14 price point now is laughable when you only get 18 units/generic lords and heroes (one of the smallest rosters in the game) and a mini campaign and 2 Legendary Lords, compared to the standard 4 LL's we get and rosters over twice that size.

There's a flip side to this though, we essentially didn't get a FLC lord and much of the free update is locked behind a paywall, plus the mini campaign is locked back in WH1, a game so outdated at this point that it wouldn't be unfair to say the Mini campaign is unplayable.

This is not how CA said things would go, they've said in interviews and in the blogpost which announced WH2 (yet another blog post with untrue statements in it) that the Total War Warhammer trilogy was meant to be a 10 year project for them and that, essentially, all 3 games were meant to stand on their own feet and allow us to bounce back and forth between 1, 2 and 3.

This obviously is no longer the case, and if CA continue this trend and abandon the Vortex campaign, all of a sudden we have quite a big issue here. The same thing that happened to WH1 will happen to WH2 when the New World races get their updates and then the mini campaigns (which are still part of the price tag), the Old World campaign on its own and the Vortex campaign on its own will be rendered obsolete. Unplayable.

The Sisters of Twilight themselves aren't DLC for DLC, but their very existence calls into question the Realm of the Wood Elves DLC itself and its price point. If CA was to do this again and add another Legendary Lord to the DLC and add a bunch of free units that are gated behind it then it'd be alright (this would make Realm of the Wood Elves a 4LL DLC + a bunch of free units) if they don't, the mini campaign needs to be updated, reworked and added to WH2/3 or they need to lower the price point to £7-£8 because its biggest selling point (the entire race) has been made obsolete and a big part of its content is now functionally unplayable.
  • LoreguyLoreguy Registered Users Posts: 1,021

Wyvax said:

I saw Vanilla Gorilla trolling. I saw everything.

This is DLC for WH2 and it contains WE and Skaven. You do not need another DLC to play this DLC. Thus no DLC for DLC.

Vladdy said:

Vladdy said:

Vladdy said:

Wyvax said:

I disagree.

2) Total Warhammer 2.

Let's assume that I'm the owner of Game1, RotWE and Game2. Do I get to play with the Great Stags without owning T&T? No, I don't. Thus it does add new content to the Wood Elf of Total Warhammer 1. It is DLC for DLC.

Let's assume that I'm the owner of Game 2 and The Shadow & The Blade. I get to play with ratling guns without owning The Prophet & The Warlock? No, I don't.
    Thus The Prophet & The Warlock is "DLC for DLC" becouse add content to The Shadow & The Blade.

Wyvax said:

Wyvax said:

By that same logic the Twisted and the Twilight counts as DLC for the Shadow and the Blade because it adds new Skaven stuff for Clan Eshin, which in turn counts as DLC for the Prophet and the Warlock cause it is also adds new Skaven stuff for Clan Skryre.

So no, it's not DLC for DLC, it's DLC for DLC for DLC! The fact that they are all totally functional independent of one another is completely irrelevant so long as they focus on the same race. A very rational and logical stance to take indeed.
    Not really. The Skaven aren't a DLC race. They're a core. It's a DLC for a core race. You can argue it's DLC for DLC but it's not my logic.

Forum Terms & Conditions

ahahaha XD

I didn't see I made the same example of Wyvax.
    I'm glad there are people can use logic XD

Wyvax said:

Wyvax said:

Not really. The Skaven aren't a DLC race. They're a core. It's a DLC for a core race. You can argue it's DLC for DLC but it's not my logic.
    What do you need to play with clan eshin?
    Total warhammer 2 + the shadow and the blade.

What do you need to play with sisters of the twilight?
    Total warhammer 2 + the twisted and the twilight.

Stop to be ridicolous guys. It's okay to say stupid things sometimes and it's okay to admit it.

@Wyvax

Drycha and a bunch of the FLC content this time is literally locked behind the Realm of the Wood Elves DLC. CA has essentially added stuff to that DLC 4 years later.

That being said, I'm not inherently against the idea, Realm of the Wood Elves £14 price point now is laughable when you only get 18 units/generic lords and heroes (one of the smallest rosters in the game) and a mini campaign and 2 Legendary Lords, compared to the standard 4 LL's we get and rosters over twice that size.

There's a flip side to this though, we essentially didn't get a FLC lord and much of the free update is locked behind a paywall, plus the mini campaign is locked back in WH1, a game so outdated at this point that it wouldn't be unfair to say the Mini campaign is unplayable.

This is not how CA said things would go, they've said in interviews and in the blogpost which announced WH2 (yet another blog post with untrue statements in it) that the Total War Warhammer trilogy was meant to be a 10 year project for them and that, essentially, all 3 games were meant to stand on their own feet and allow us to bounce back and forth between 1, 2 and 3.

This obviously is no longer the case, and if CA continue this trend and abandon the Vortex campaign, all of a sudden we have quite a big issue here. The same thing that happened to WH1 will happen to WH2 when the New World races get their updates and then the mini campaigns (which are still part of the price tag), the Old World campaign on its own and the Vortex campaign on its own will be rendered obsolete. Unplayable.

The Sisters of Twilight themselves aren't DLC for DLC, but their very existence calls into question the Realm of the Wood Elves DLC itself and its price point. If CA was to do this again and add another Legendary Lord to the DLC and add a bunch of free units that are gated behind it then it'd be alright (this would make Realm of the Wood Elves a 4LL DLC + a bunch of free units) if they don't, the mini campaign needs to be updated, reworked and added to WH2/3 or they need to lower the price point to £7-£8 because its biggest selling point (the entire race) has been made obsolete and a big part of its content is now functionally unplayable.

The TW:Warhammer trilogy is weird. Each entry both its own stand alone game as well as an massive expansion pack to the others. 'Expandalone' is a portmanteau I've heard elsewhere and since adopted to describe it. If the original idea of a single game with sequential massive expansions was adhered to by the devs, I believe that the overall quality of the product would suffer as a result. Just look at the New World in ME compared to the Eye of the Vortex map for instance. Likewise I believe the actual races, units and amount of LLs would be lesser as well.

As it's a trilogy of games, it has much in common with a trilogy of books or movies. You can read The Fellowship of the Ring but don't complain about it not containing the events of The Two Towers between it's pages. Likewise if we want the full Total War: Warhammer experience we will have to get all three games; we can play exclusively WH2, but it's like reading exclusively the middle book in a trilogy of novels. Since it's a video game we're talking about here, we have the problem of versions, which continues to update through the series, but doesn't backport to the previous titles as it's simply not a good use of the company's resources. The topic of DLC however is a completely new dimension that is endemic to video games as a form of media, for better or for worse.

Vladdy said:

Vladdy said:

Vladdy said:

Vladdy said:

Wyvax said:

I disagree.

2) Total Warhammer 2.

Let's assume that I'm the owner of Game 2 and The Shadow & The Blade. I get to play with ratling guns without owning The Prophet & The Warlock? No, I don't.
    Thus The Prophet & The Warlock is "DLC for DLC" becouse add content to The Shadow & The Blade.

The Skaven are not a DLC race but a core race. P&W, S&B and T&T are DLCs for the base game.
This discussion has been closed.