Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Still no new voices for DLC units.

coury97coury97 Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 687
The units for the Wood Elves didn't get any new voice lines. Great Stag Knights use the Wild Riders lines, the bladesinger uses all of the wardancers lines except the one that says "Wardancers!". The Lost Knights RoR uses just a filter for Wild Rider voices on top. I can't check the Glade captain because it's not available to anyone it seems, so i can't say on that. The only new voice recorded aside from Legendary characters was the Spellweaver, thankfully that's something.

Why is this being cut from the new content? Same thing happened and still present for High Elves units on the previous DLC. Is it so hard to pay a 2-3 Voice Actors for 2-3 lines for a couple units? I don't get why this is a standard now.

Comments

• NeodeinosNeodeinos Registered Users Posts: 10,690
    Stag Knights are Wild Riders so it makes sense.

• WaaaghCheifWaaaghCheif Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,095
    neodeinos said:

But then why do Cold One Riders and Dread Knights have different voicelines? Its the same unit, just the sergeants version.
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 22,754
    Stag Knights are Wild Riders. Why wasting resources for such nonsense?

Have your heard the Voice lines from Ariel and the Sisters?
    Nurgle is love, Nurgle is life
  • makar55makar55 Registered Users Posts: 2,575
    They cut budget on unit cards, why not to cut it on voices too?

neodeinos said:

But then why do Cold One Riders and Dread Knights have different voicelines? Its the same unit, just the sergeants version.
    I mean it'd be better if they had new lines obviously but given the world situtation right now I am not surprised there has been a few cuts in the budget. Hopefully it will improve in the future.

• angry_rat_loverangry_rat_lover Registered Users Posts: 1,403
    As far as I know CA makes voicelines before working on any DLCs (Remember the Skaven units leak? The one with the jezzails, ratling gunners and giant rats and some unused RoRs with working voicelines?) So these new units having no voicelines probably meant CA didnt work beforehand on these or/and didnt have on their portafolio to work on this DLC, maybe the TWW2 DLC cycle was supposed to end with warlock and paunch (seeing as Grom units were also leaked) so this DLC was probably rushed in terms of content and seeing as CA makes voicelines before any other work when they realized they didnt have the voicelines done they just decided to not bother or something? Same happened with the war wagon, that one has the outriders voiceline
    Soon
    neodeinos said:

neodeinos said:

I mean it'd be better if they had new lines obviously but given the world situtation right now I am not surprised there has been a few cuts in the budget. Hopefully it will improve in the future.
    Not complaining though. It just a inconsistency, and I dont think the "Its Wild Riders" strawman-point holds a lot of water. They are Stag Knights. Not Wild Riders (Stag Knights). If RoRs get 1 unique voiceline to reference their regiment name, so should Stag Knights and War Wagons.
  • coury97coury97 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 687
    I know for some people this doesn't matter, but i'm certain i picked the right unit in the midst of battle because i hear what they say when selecting them. Added to jnit cards, which aren't very readable from the latests DLCs, it does hurt the experience.

neodeinos said:

neodeinos said:

Not complaining though. It just a inconsistency, and I dont think the "Its Wild Riders" strawman-point holds a lot of water. They are Stag Knights. Not Wild Riders (Stag Knights). If RoRs get 1 unique voiceline to reference their regiment name, so should Stag Knights and War Wagons.
    Oh I'm all for new voice lines, I was just giving a likely reason why CA hasn't done them.

• NopeacejustwarNopeacejustwar Registered Users Posts: 1,241
    edited December 2020
    Corner cutting at its finest . I hated this about the previous dlc too.
    neodeinos said:

By that logic all Skaven weapon teams should have the same voice lines. And that's not the case. Or the reiksguard should just say "Empire Knights!"?
    neodeinos said:

neodeinos said:

neodeinos said:

Oh I'm all for new voice lines, I was just giving a likely reason why CA hasn't done them.
    It's a reasonable gap I'm willing to overlook for this.
  • LordCommanderLordCommander Registered Users Posts: 2,190
    edited December 2020
    coury97 said:

The units for the Wood Elves didn't get any new voice lines. Great Stag Knights use the Wild Riders lines, the bladesinger uses all of the wardancers lines except the one that says "Wardancers!". The Lost Knights RoR uses just a filter for Wild Rider voices on top. I can't check the Glade captain because it's not available to anyone it seems, so i can't say on that. The only new voice recorded aside from Legendary characters was the Spellweaver, thankfully that's something.

Why is this being cut from the new content? Same thing happened and still present for High Elves units on the previous DLC. Is it so hard to pay a 2-3 Voice Actors for 2-3 lines for a couple units? I don't get why this is a standard now.

If it wasn't planned it can hardly be cut.

Cost. Are you going to pay for additional VO artists, wrangle the usual contracts with their agents, have them travel from across the country during a pandemic for a few lines of dialogue? In addition to all the paid hours for the sound department to record, edit and implement the voices?
    Just as a warning against making predictions- https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/290416/time-to-admit-there-will-be-no-new-dlc-for-twwh-2#latest

Anyone using the term 'iconic' incorrectly to pad out their dumb argument will be subject to immediate Bloodthirster summoning.
    Yeah, i would, because i'm already getting a ton of profit from this game and these DLCs to be able to take the time and do it properly. And that's assuming like you said that there isn't any Voice Actor qualified for it in the near towns or in the same one that they are, with no need to fly them there.
  • LordCommanderLordCommander Registered Users Posts: 2,190
    coury97 said:

Yeah, i would, because i'm already getting a ton of profit from this game and these DLCs to be able to take the time and do it properly. And that's assuming like you said that there isn't any Voice Actor qualified for it in the near towns or in the same one that they are, with no need to fly them there.

Well as someone that worked with Voice over artists in my old theatre job I would say no, as there's a pre-allocated budget that needs to be kept in check and what you are suggesting is surplus to requirements. Also it's an £8 DLC and there's a pandemic on, which kind of presents travel issues. Also how many Equity-registered VO artists do you think live in Horsham, a town of 51,000?

Just as a warning against making predictions- https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/290416/time-to-admit-there-will-be-no-new-dlc-for-twwh-2#latest

Anyone using the term 'iconic' incorrectly to pad out their dumb argument will be subject to immediate Bloodthirster summoning.
  • RomeoRejectRomeoReject Registered Users Posts: 1,865
    Why not open it up to the community and have them submit voicelines?

CA doesn't have to spend a penny on voice actors, players get proper voicelines and the community gets to be a part of the game.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,628

neodeinos said:

neodeinos said:

Precisely.

As far as I remember from CA blogs, units are voiced by CA employees. They could have organised a session or two and get it done.
    animacja-sygn-3.gif

• jamesbluewavejamesbluewave Registered Users Posts: 531
    coury97 said:

It’s a standard because people are okay with it. They buy it, hence they are fine with it.
  • BomjusBomjus Registered Users Posts: 13
    coming back to this, because does anyone know the VA for the glade captain? it sounds so much like the slyvanas voice actress (Patty Mattson) but can't find confirmation of the captain's actual VA anywhere
  • ZekerathZekerath Registered Users Posts: 517

Why not open it up to the community and have them submit voicelines?

CA doesn't have to spend a penny on voice actors, players get proper voicelines and the community gets to be a part of the game.

Not many have professional level equipment to record the voicelines, though.
    And they'd probably need you to sign very complicated contracts so that they could legally use those voicelines, which may or may not require you to travel, which is a bit of a hassle currently.
    Varinor said:

neodeinos said:

neodeinos said:

Precisely.

As far as I remember from CA blogs, units are voiced by CA employees. They could have organised a session or two and get it done.
    I can imagine that voicelines are not high on their priority list currently, with how much of a hassle it is to get recordings safely in these times.
  • kelembriborkelembribor Registered Users Posts: 767
    What is odd that for example Spire Guard lines exist in game files, yet Spire Guard unit from Mistwalkers uses generic lines , or White Lion Chariot also uses generic lines when White Lion unit responses would fit it more.

To me it seems that updating voice work ( dlc units - which could be only line or two for each unit, diplomacy lines between 1st / 2nd game factions or new/updated races), Sync animations between 1st and 2nd game units are also rather problematic in the development.

Hopefully they manage some effort into polishing those things with Game 3, or it is going to be real mess with 3 separate unconnected parts.