Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

IMO, Cathay might be added mostly to grab the Chinese audience.

Prkl8rPrkl8r Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 998
edited December 2020 in General Discussion
We know after the massive success of 3k in China that TW games have an audience there.

IMO, Cathay has no right to be added into the game, when factions that actually have army books and more lore than Cathey, and exist in areas the map already shows. Factions like the Boarder Princes, Tilia, Estalia, Albion, Amazons, Araby are all factions that I think deserve to be added before Cathay is even considered, much less the presumed game 3 races like Kislev, Ogre Kingdoms, and monogod Chaos.

That said, as will seemingly all media these days, there is a desire to grab the Chinese audience, and there would be no better way to do that than add Cathay. For this reason alone, I think Cathay has a chance to be added in game 3. I don't think there is a big enough Japanese audience for them to add Nippon though.
Post edited by Prkl8r on

Comments

• aMint1aMint1 Registered Users Posts: 616
  • ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 3,636
    I’m pretty sure Chinese people don’t need to see their culture given the Warhammer treatment to buy the game. I’ve never understood this concept.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

Justice for Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.
    ROMOBOY said:

I’m pretty sure Chinese people don’t need to see their culture given the Warhammer treatment to buy the game. I’ve never understood this concept.

You don't see why adding parts of somewhere's culture to something might increase the appeal to the people in that region?
    aMint1 said:

ROMOBOY said:

You don't see why adding parts of somewhere's culture to something might increase the appeal to the people in that region?
    I play tons of games that don’t have a thing to do with my (or any) culture.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

ROMOBOY said:

aMint1 said:

ROMOBOY said:

That's good for you. Try answering the question though?
    aMint1 said:

ROMOBOY said:

aMint1 said:

ROMOBOY said:

That's good for you. Try answering the question though?
    I did. Something doesn’t have to have anything Chinese related to sell well in China. Marvel movies are a perfect example for this.

The question was whether you could see why adding parts of a culture to something increases the interest in that to people from that region.

Do you think TW:3K sold, by %, the same volume in China vs TW:Empire? What about vice versa for people from the US? Do you think there was no appreciable uptick in TW sales in Japan when they made Shogun?
  • JungleElfJungleElf Registered Users Posts: 3,906
    aMint1 said:

The question was whether you could see why adding parts of a culture to something increases the interest in that to people from that region.

Do you think TW:3K sold, by %, the same volume in China vs TW:Empire? What about vice versa for people from the US? Do you think there was no appreciable uptick in TW sales in Japan when they made Shogun?

The cultural impact of 3K can't be possibly compared to the stereotypical setting of Cathay.

3K is Chinese literature which has been known for hundreds of years.
    JungleElf said:

aMint1 said:

The cultural impact of 3K can't be possibly compared to the stereotypical setting of Cathay.

That's seems like a really roundabout way of saying, yes, adding part of somewhere's culture will increase interest from people that live within that culture, but cheers for kinda-answering.
    JungleElf said:

aMint1 said:

^this
    @aMint1

Not to mention, I’m pretty sure Shogun 2 sold better in the U.S. than Empire. Despite being a game surrounded by a totally different culture.

Also, what you’re suggesting may actually have an opposite effect. People want something “fresh” when they watch a movie or play a game. If everything I consumed was the same culture, it’d be bland and boring.

• RowdyRowdy Registered Users Posts: 41
    I live in Australia and I dont think giant Kangaroos or ambushing drop bears would make me want to buy a game more.
    But i am sure marketers and sales people would believe differently.
    Rowdy said:

I live in Australia and I dont think giant Kangaroos or ambushing drop bears would make me want to buy a game more.

Yeah because to those kind of people, we’re just numbers.

• RutgerhuerRutgerhuer Registered Users Posts: 175
    Western culture is exotic, and often engaging / appealing to people from other parts of the world for this reason. This is particularly noticeable with Japan, just look at how much anime / videogames they make with Western aesthetics. While I can't say for sure with China there have been some rather noticeable flops that were expected to be hits in China like 'Mulan', or 'Crazy Rich Asians'. Part of that was competition, a Chinese company (like the one making the mobile game) has big advantages when making games for a Chinese audience. Not to mention the potential pitfalls of Chinese censorship. So I guess my point is....maybe? I don't think its really necessary but I could see CA thinking in those terms.
    TW:WH2 needs a playable Legendary Lord for every TW:WH1 race on Vortex before it can be considered complete.
  • ValkaarValkaar Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,806
    Politics has a large part to do with it too. The Chinese GOVERNMENT heavily limits what foreign entertainment gets released in their country. The government has a quota on the number of foreign entertainment products that get released in their country each year. The exact number varies based on the industry (music vs movies etc).

Let’s just assume (accurate or otherwise) that the Chinese audience will gladly buy any Total War product.

The government will not let that product be released in their country unless it has some degree of pro Chinese representation or at least isn’t critical. You see censored versions of movies or games or reshoots happen all the time in order appease the Chinese censorship decision makers so they can get their product to market.

In this sense, yes, Cathay would dramatically increase the chances of Game 3 selling well in China by increasing the chances it will be released at all in the first place.
  • Mr_Finley7Mr_Finley7 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,787
    Hopefully. And what factions do you think that supposedly have more of a right to be in the game then Cathay will be left out? Amazons and halflings? 😆
    Valkaar said:

Politics has a large part to do with it too. The Chinese GOVERNMENT heavily limits what foreign entertainment gets released in their country. The government has a quota on the number of foreign entertainment products that get released in their country each year. The exact number varies based on the industry (music vs movies etc).

Let’s just assume (accurate or otherwise) that the Chinese audience will gladly buy any Total War product.

The government will not let that product be released in their country unless it has some degree of pro Chinese representation or at least isn’t critical. You see censored versions of movies or games or reshoots happen all the time in order appease the Chinese censorship decision makers so they can get their product to market.

In this sense, yes, Cathay would dramatically increase the chances of Game 3 selling well in China by increasing the chances it will be released at all in the first place.

If China didn’t give WH3 a go-ahead. They would still release it. Unless they wanted to literally betray their entire western audience.

ROMOBOY said:

Valkaar said:

If China didn’t give WH3 a go-ahead. They would still release it. Unless they wanted to literally betray their entire western audience.
    Yes ofc they’d still release it. But not in China.

Cathay would be an investment at getting the Chinese market specifically.
    Valkaar said:

ROMOBOY said:

Valkaar said:

It would also just generally make the game more interesting.
    Valkaar said:

ROMOBOY said:

Valkaar said:

I don’t live in China so I don’t know if they can even buy it. But I’m pretty sure WH1 and WH2 sold well in China. Regardless of the fact that it doesn’t have any Chinese culture.

edited December 2020
    ROMOBOY said:

Valkaar said:

ROMOBOY said:

Valkaar said:

I don’t live in China so I don’t know if they can even buy it. But I’m pretty sure WH1 and WH2 sold well in China. Regardless of the fact that it doesn’t have any Chinese culture.
    I don’t know if it’s allowed their either.

My point is not a cultural one. It’s political.

Whether the people would buy doesn’t change their potential access to the game. The quotas are annual.

So each year is a new attempt to get your game/movie/song through the political quota barrier.

Cathay would absolutely help with that.
  • Prkl8rPrkl8r Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 998

Hopefully. And what factions do you think that supposedly have more of a right to be in the game then Cathay will be left out? Amazons and halflings? 😆

Basically any faction that should exist in the game map that we already have. Araby, Border Princes, Tilia, Estallia are all in there along with the more controversial Araby, Albion, and Amazons. Assuming Kislev is in game 3 already. I also think we should get mono god chaos before Cathay as well.
    Prkl8r said:

Basically any faction that should exist in the game map that we already have. Araby, Border Princes, Tilia, Estallia are all in there along with the more controversial Araby, Albion, and Amazons. Assuming Kislev is in game 3 already. I also think we should get mono god chaos before Cathay as well.
    That’s ridiculous. Albion is a cultural non entity, and Amazons are a weird fringe enthusiast holdover from the incoherence of Warhammers early days.

Cathay is described as the most powerful nation of Men and the main bulwark against the forces of chaos in the east. They were never developed because WHFB followed the Tolkien pattern of European fantasy and because it would have required much more effort to work within an unfamiliar cultural framework.

But their importance to the setting far out weighs minor curiosities like Albion/Amazons/halflings etc.

CA being able to create Cathay would be the best development of the IP since 6e
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 24,885
    ROMOBOY said:

"need" vs "want". And "buy" vs "buy in larger numbers".

Whether or not you personally agree with the concept I think in general the idea that people are more likely to purchase a game if they can see themselves in it. Certainly it's something that's been around for decades. More specific to China I can certainly see it. I'd be interested to know the cold, hard data, but from what I know of China I can definitely see Cathay drawing more numbers than it otherwise would.
    I apologize in for everything I say till around 29/04

ROMOBOY said:

Whether or not you personally agree with the concept I think in general the idea that people are more likely to purchase a game if they can see themselves in it. Certainly it's something that's been around for decades. More specific to China I can certainly see it. I'd be interested to know the cold, hard data, but from what I know of China I can definitely see Cathay drawing more numbers than it otherwise would.
    Okay but let’s think about it this way. Are they (with GW’s approval) willing to spend a large amount of money and time in making an entire race from the ground up, just for the chance of attracting more Chinese consumers? It’s already gonna sell well in China. So what’s the point?

Rowdy said:

Thing is that's not Australian culture, that's a caricature of Australia drawn by the outside world.

Chinese culture is also on a whole different level to Australia's. Australia has what? 120 years of being a nation? China has thousands of years being a nation. Australia's largely made up of immigrants, with a big chunk of those being recent immigrants. The opposite applies in China. That said China's a bit like Europe in that it's got a veritable cornucopia of languages and cultures within it, but I imagine Cathay would strike a couple universal tones.

I can certainly see the argument that Cathay would positively impact sales of TWW3 in China as a valid one.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 10,054
    Prkl8r said:

If your argument is based on "present in the existing map" then it goes out the window should CA decide they don't want to stop at the Mountains of Mourne.

Most of what you list there are either likely to come under the DoW banner or are races that are so small they're not known to produce armies at the TWW scale at all (Amazons have never been developed beyond a skirmish or allied contingent level, and the Albion natives were insignificant in a campaign set in their own homeland). Araby is the only one that's really comparable, and that's been dismissed.

All three As also have the issue of their most logical start positions already being occupied by LLs (Markus starts where the location most associated with Amazons is).
    ROMOBOY said:

ROMOBOY said:

Okay but let’s think about it this way. Are they (with GW’s approval) willing to spend a large amount of money and time in making an entire race from the ground up, just for the chance of attracting more Chinese consumers? It’s already gonna sell well in China. So what’s the point?
    That’s a valid point. But think about the official factions left for game 3. None of them (with the possible exception of daemons) are any of the more popular WHFB races. A lot of old time players don’t give a **** about Ogres, and most new enthusiasts probably barely know anything about Chaos Dwarfs.

In my highly subjective point of view, Cathay would be an exciting new development of the potential of the IP and would possess fantasy elements most likely more appealing to the average gamer.

ROMOBOY said:

ROMOBOY said:

That’s a valid point. But think about the official factions left for game 3. None of them (with the possible exception of daemons) are any of the more popular WHFB races. A lot of old time players don’t give a **** about Ogres, and most new enthusiasts probably barely know anything about Chaos Dwarfs.

In my highly subjective point of view, Cathay would be an exciting new development of the potential of the IP and would possess fantasy elements most likely more appealing to the average gamer.
    I agree that Cathay would (will?) be awesome.
    But the whole Chinese consumer thing I disagree with. They would be cool, they would add a huge amount of regions, they would offset the mostly Chaos WH3. No need to try and connect the dots between Cathay and the Chinese market.

ROMOBOY said:

ROMOBOY said:

What's the point? I thought that was fairly obvious; So it sells better than it would otherwise.

You're also assuming it would be costly to make Cathay. I see it as actually pretty darn easy and cheap. The lore we have on them outlines a decent roster. even ignoring what GW might have that it didn't release they could easily make a roster from that with a couple additions. 2 LL's, 2 Heroes, 20ish units of mostly humans and Cavalry.
  • JungleElfJungleElf Registered Users Posts: 3,906
    edited December 2020

ROMOBOY said:

ROMOBOY said:

What's the point? I thought that was fairly obvious; So it sells better than it would otherwise.

You're also assuming it would be costly to make Cathay. I see it as actually pretty darn easy and cheap. The lore we have on them outlines a decent roster. even ignoring what GW might have that it didn't release they could easily make a roster from that with a couple additions. 2 LL's, 2 Heroes, 20ish units of mostly humans and Cavalry.
    How are they hypothetically cheap? They might actually be the most expensive one, as CA would need to draw up new concept arts, work in tandem with GW for approval and even design the culture from the ground up. Then it also needs its own unique campaign mechanics like any other faction and presumably a large dose of monstrous units to set it apart from the other human factions. Even its map-locations need to be fleshed-out. So, no, it will most certainly not be cheap if it's included at all. Almost everything needs to be made from scratch, no models for inspiration, nothing.

It's just not happening with CA's recent statements and the like. They're far too busy with the core stuff, and even that's far from finished.