Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

IMO, Cathay might be added mostly to grab the Chinese audience.

Comments

• davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,094
    Bonutz said:

Bonutz said:

Bonutz said:

I’m Japanese and Italian. Coming from personal experience, no doubt I had more of a connection to Shogun 2 and Rome 2 when they came out.

However, it’s not a necessity to have ones culture in a video game for it to be liked or sell well. Not at all.

However, was it a coincidence that 3K broke the Chinese market rather than say R2? I certainly wouldn't talk for everyone but it's no coincidence I played England in M2 or Britain in Napoleon. I'm sure a lot of North Americans played the USA faction in Empire because they had more knowledge/emotional attachment to it.
    I actually edited my comment Dave Dave but yes I agree with you. I’m an American and I loved the revolutionary war campaign in Empire. It resonated big time with me.

People like things that they are familiar with.
    I think one of the issues is pre existing knowledge. I see a lot of US guys asking for the ACW and I thought.. sounds a bit boring. However, watched a documentary on it by PBS and it was really interesting so I joined in! :-)
    It’s very interesting! ACW was brutal. Lots of great generals and battles in that war.
    And that's why I believe a faction based on your knowledge will be of more interest. As a British person I would constantly see medieval English dramas/films and Napoleonic ones like Sharpe and it's these experiences that builds that emotional connection.

In the same way I believe it will be true for China and the inbuilt knowledge of people who consume Chinese story telling on a daily basis, if Cathay represents this it will be more familiar to them.
    Interested in Sea Elves? Did you just call me a simpleton?

ROMOBOY said:

@davedave1124
    @ArneSo
    Lol sorry guys, I accidentally sent the wrong one.

I believe the mountains to the West are already on the current map and the Dragon Isles on the East side are also already on the map. Add to that there is no southern portion. If that's it we are really being short changed.

• ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 3,632
    ArneSo said:

ROMOBOY said:

@davedave1124
    @ArneSo

I still think that’s to small. Especially since most parts already exist.

I expect a DLC support of 6-8 years for WH3. With such a map, that won’t be possible.
    6-8 years? I’d believe that if they released 1 dlc every 9 months. And if you zoom in, you see just how many regions there are. Not to mention Chaos Realm can still exist.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

Justice for Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.
  • ROMOBOYROMOBOY Registered Users Posts: 3,632

ROMOBOY said:

@davedave1124
    @ArneSo

I believe the mountains to the West are already on the current map and the Dragon Isles on the East side are also already on the map. Add to that there is no southern portion. If that's it we are really being short changed.
    Yeah they are. And I’m telling you they’re placeholders. Zoom in near pigbarter. There’s tons more there, then what we have now.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Cathay > Chaos Dwarfs = Pain

• ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 19,457

Bonutz said:

Bonutz said:

Bonutz said:

I’m Japanese and Italian. Coming from personal experience, no doubt I had more of a connection to Shogun 2 and Rome 2 when they came out.

However, it’s not a necessity to have ones culture in a video game for it to be liked or sell well. Not at all.

However, was it a coincidence that 3K broke the Chinese market rather than say R2? I certainly wouldn't talk for everyone but it's no coincidence I played England in M2 or Britain in Napoleon. I'm sure a lot of North Americans played the USA faction in Empire because they had more knowledge/emotional attachment to it.
    I actually edited my comment Dave Dave but yes I agree with you. I’m an American and I loved the revolutionary war campaign in Empire. It resonated big time with me.

I think one of the issues is pre existing knowledge. I see a lot of US guys asking for the ACW and I thought.. sounds a bit boring. However, watched a documentary on it by PBS and it was really interesting so I joined in! :-)
    It’s very interesting! ACW was brutal. Lots of great generals and battles in that war.
    And that's why I believe a faction based on your knowledge will be of more interest. As a British person I would constantly see medieval English dramas/films and Napoleonic ones like Sharpe and it's these experiences that builds that emotional connection.

In the same way I believe it will be true for China and the inbuilt knowledge of people who consume Chinese story telling on a daily basis, if Cathay represents this it will be more familiar to them.
    It’s true but also depends on the setting of the TW Game.

You don’t have to be Italian to be hyped for Romans. You also don’t have to be Greek to be hyped for Spartans. The same goes for Vikings and Wessex in ToB I guess. Those settings are so popular that nationality is less important.

I for example never liked to play the Germanic tribes in Rome 2 even if I‘m German. Was more enjoyable to bring some Roman or Hellenic civilisation to those barbarians. 😂

But regarding other TW titles, yes you are definitely right. Even if I nearly played all factions in Empire, Prussia was still my first campaign and it was truly epic.
  • JungleElfJungleElf Registered Users Posts: 3,818

ROMOBOY said:

@davedave1124
    @ArneSo

What are you thinking? That the Daemons of Chaos and the new possible Warrior factions won't be able to lay siege to Kislev and parts of the Empire? Of course parts of the current map will be included in the WH3 campaign map.
  • BonutzBonutz Registered Users Posts: 3,738
    ArneSo said:

Bonutz said:

Bonutz said:

Bonutz said:

You don’t have to be Italian to be hyped for Romans. You also don’t have to be Greek to be hyped for Spartans. The same goes for Vikings and Wessex in ToB I guess. Those settings are so popular that nationality is less important.

I for example never liked to play the Germanic tribes in Rome 2 even if I‘m German. Was more enjoyable to bring some Roman or Hellenic civilisation to those barbarians. 😂

But regarding other TW titles, yes you are definitely right. Even if I nearly played all factions in Empire, Prussia was still my first campaign and it was truly epic.
    Is Empire your favorite faction in Warhammer? Just curious.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I’m all out of bubblegum.
    ArneSo said:

Bonutz said:

Bonutz said:

Bonutz said:

Now this is true, there are exceptions and as I say it is all connected to knowledge. In reference to Rome and Greece, due to their impact on the Western world we are all knowledgeable about them and there are plenty of TV programmes, films that cover both.

JungleElf said:

ROMOBOY said:

@davedave1124
    @ArneSo

What are you thinking? That the Daemons of Chaos and the new possible Warrior factions won't be able to lay siege to Kislev and parts of the Empire? Of course parts of the current map will be included in the WH3 campaign map.
    ME, I'm talking about ME.

JungleElf said:

ROMOBOY said:

@davedave1124
    @ArneSo

The Immortal Empires map will obviously be different than the Mortal Empire one, agreed. Some reshaping is indeed needed.

JungleElf said:

ROMOBOY said:

@davedave1124
    @ArneSo

The Immortal Empires map will obviously be different than the Mortal Empire one, agreed. Some reshaping is indeed needed.
    Bonutz said:

ArneSo said:

Bonutz said:

Bonutz said:

Bonutz said:

Is Empire your favorite faction in Warhammer? Just curious.
    Nope. My favourites are probably Vampire Coast, LM and DE at this point. But the Empire was my most played Race back in WH1 since I was still new to WH and playing the Good Human protagonist was the most appealing to me since I could relate to it the most.
    JungleElf said:

JungleElf said:

ROMOBOY said:

@davedave1124
    @ArneSo

And that's my point, ME too small - needs extending to make it impactful. As for the single game 3 map, no one has an idea how big it will be or how other races will be implimented.

• Surge_2Surge_2 Registered Users Posts: 4,826
    ArneSo said:

Phoenix99 said:

Btw, is TW:WH series available at all in China?

Not sure to be honest. Skeletons and Zombies are forbidden in China so not sure. Other East Asian countries don’t have these regulations as far as I know.

Thats something I was wondering too. With the history of World of Warcraft and its updates to accommodate China, how you gonna do Vampire Coast/Counts?

lol

Is all this chatter for nothing because they wouldnt allow the game anyway?
    Beastmen

• Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 24,612

I still think the Far East as a whole is unlikely. I do think we'll get the Darklands and the missing parts of Lustria & the Southlands though.

I find it unlikely that game 2 has a huge map while 3 has a tiny one. Extending into Cathay seems a bare minimum, even tgen it covers far less land than 2 does.
    Kia Kaha and C'est La Vie Kiwi123, neodeinos and FungusHound, the mighty Troll Slayers.

I apologize in advance/currently for everything I say between 15/04 and probably 29/04

I still think the Far East as a whole is unlikely. I do think we'll get the Darklands and the missing parts of Lustria & the Southlands though.

I find it unlikely that game 2 has a huge map while 3 has a tiny one. Extending into Cathay seems a bare minimum, even tgen it covers far less land than 2 does.
    True. Look at the size of the Darklands compared to what's come before:

Surely part 3 will have a massive impact in map size.. looks more like a whimper if it's just the darklands.

Surge_2 said:

ArneSo said:

Phoenix99 said:

Not sure to be honest. Skeletons and Zombies are forbidden in China so not sure. Other East Asian countries don’t have these regulations as far as I know.

Thats something I was wondering too. With the history of World of Warcraft and its updates to accommodate China, how you gonna do Vampire Coast/Counts?

lol

This seems weird after watching Chinese films like Rouge, ghosts yes; zombies no.

• Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Registered Users Posts: 2,736
    It is likely.

Cathay - represents China, and to a lesser extent, Korea, Japan and the Dai-Viet nations... all of which, embraced Han Chinese culture and then started to form their own.

Araby - represents not only the Arab nations, but also the Slave Turks (mamlukes), the Ottomans, North Africa (berber, libyans, etc) as well as Saharan Africans, Persians, Afghans and Kurds.

Ind represents the many different peoples of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Bhutan.

Including these 3 "civilisations" would have encouraged a HUGE portion of people around the world to buy into the game and bother learning about it's lore... But since it doesn't, it's just another fantasy world that could be put beside Warcraft or Lord of the Rings.
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin

ArneSo said:

Bonutz said:

Bonutz said:

Bonutz said:

Now this is true, there are exceptions and as I say it is all connected to knowledge. In reference to Rome and Greece, due to their impact on the Western world we are all knowledgeable about them and there are plenty of TV programmes, films that cover both.
    It’s a really interesting discussion.

I’m a bit of a history nerd so I Love all TW Games but I also think movies and series have a large impact. That’s probably why Spartans, Romans, Vikings or shiny Knights are so popular as a trope.

Thats probably also the reason why I had huge problems to get into 3K. I couldn’t really relate to the whole setting and all the names meant nothing to me. Uniting China meant nothing to me.

I can imagine that many Chinese players feel similar about Rome 2, Med or Empire.

And from a fantasy perspective, even for a non TT player like me, WH was still very appealing since it had Orcs, Elves, Knights, Dwarfs, Trolls, Vampires and so on. It’s the same sort of fantasy I grew up with so it’s easy to get into it and understand the setting.

Orcs and Vampires are evil. Dwarfs and Humans are good. Easy and kinda relatable for everyone into fantasy.

For Chinese players this might be not so easy and relatable since our western fantasy is very very different to their fantasy.

With stuff like Cathay, Ogres and Hobgoblins, it would be easier for those players to get into the whole franchise because they can better relate to it.

Surge_2 said:

ArneSo said:

Phoenix99 said:

lol

This seems weird after watching Chinese films like Rouge, ghosts yes; zombies no.
    I think it’s only China where Zombies are forbidden. In Korea it seems to be fine since they have Movies like „train to Busan“ or the Zombie Series „Kingdom“.
  • SerPusSerPus Registered Users Posts: 4,051
    Surge_2 said:

But TWW is allowed in China. Have you forgotten what happened when CA didn't include Chinese language in TWW2?
    Surge_2 said:

ArneSo said:

Phoenix99 said:

lol

Yeah I have truly no idea how CA or GW should do that. Just cut undead out? I really don’t know.

Might be to much of a hassle for GW and CA.

But even without China as a potential market. Japan, South Korea and Taiwan would also already be huge markets to step into. Especially for a gaming company.
    SerPus said:

Surge_2 said:

But TWW is allowed in China. Have you forgotten what happened when CA didn't include Chinese language in TWW2?
    Oh yes you are right! Now that’s interesting. I‘m really curious what CA did with all the Undead races.
    ArneSo said:

I‘m really curious what CA did with all the Undead races.

Nothing. Why would they do anything?
    SerPus said:

ArneSo said:

I‘m really curious what CA did with all the Undead races.

Nothing. Why would they do anything?
    Because Zombies and Skeletons are forbidden in China as far as I know.
    edited December 2020
    It's actually true! they've banned anything to do with superstition including ghosts.. tedious. i hope that's just films..

https://www.soulask.com/chinese-authorities-ban-ghost-and-zombie-films/

Although, I've seen some fantasy video games.. so maybe it's ok.

ArneSo said:

That doesn't seems to be true.
    SerPus said:

ArneSo said:

That doesn't seems to be true.
    Maybe just in movies.
  • TheTuninatorTheTuninator Registered Users Posts: 20
    As far as whether this would actually appeal to the Chinese audience or not, it's worth remembering that the Chinese TW fanbase sent a delegation to CA HQ in the UK with custom-made Cathay maps and banners to request that CA make Cathy as TWWH II DLC. So they certainly don't seem to feel like it'd be pandering, at the least.
    It has to do with how the skeletal remains are presented.

The ministry of culture is also hugely inconsistent. Anyway, Warhammer Total War has been released in China.