Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Map Mod: "The Playthings of the Gods" (design to release)

TroyTomusTroyTomus Registered Users Posts: 150
edited February 2021 in General Discussion
Hello, In the discussion I'll be documenting my process of making a map using Terry for tw Troy. If you have any thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc, please message me. It's always good to get feedback and input from others.

previously: "The Gods are Watching"
Post edited by TroyTomus on

Comments

• TroyTomusTroyTomus Registered Users Posts: 150
    Here is the workflow that I'll be following:

edited February 2021
    Key features:
    1:
    An island that seems to be a tabletop game with large temples around it as if it's a plaything of the gods.
    This is inspired by the classic film: Jason and the Argonauts.

2:
    Cliffs & water: I need to practice these skills

3:
    areas to provide flanking & hiding. features that force the players to select a waypoint in the center of the map.

References:

Seaside village:

Farm:

Map to base it it on:

2d map:

cliffs:

Predictions:

Easy:
    -the outfield/ sea
    -the center highlands should be easy
    -the towns, prefabs, and my previous experience should make this easy

Difficult:
    -Cliff edges, I may be able to hide areas that don't look great with bushes and trees. Lots more reference images will need to be used
    -Ai hints. I am not overly experienced in this area. In stage two, bare-bones, a lot of testing and reworking will be required. A lot of time will be allotted to this select

Here is a link to the map designer I recreated

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/280124/map-designer-template#latest

Any feedback at this stage would be very welcome! Please let me know what you think if you have any ideas about the map/ theme/ etc
  • RafSwi7#7492RafSwi7#7492 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,708
    Looking forward to see it finished (I also don't mind some in-progress pics).

Completed EMPIRE, ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS, TROY and ROME REMASTERED campaigns:
    EMPIRE
    France, Poland-Lithuania, Spain.
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    CiG: Arverni, Rome, Suebi.
    HatG: Arevaci, Carthage, Rome, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    WoS: Athenai, Boiotian League, Korinthos, Sparta.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    RotR: Rome, Samnites, Senones, Syracuse, Taras, Tarchuna.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    TLR: Roman Expedition, Visigothic Kingdom.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    Dublin, Gwined, Northumbria, Mercia, Sudreyar, West Seaxe.
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2 & 3
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Imrik, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, Morghur the Shadowgave, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable, Sisters of Twilight.
    W3 - RoC: Kairos Fateweaver, Tzarina Katarin, Zhao Ming.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    MOH: Liu Chong, Liu Hong, Lu Zhi, Zhang Bao.
    ROTW: Dong Zhuo, Gongsun Zan, He Yi, Liu Bei, Ma Teng, Sun Jian, Yuan Shao.
    AWB: Cao Cao, King Mulu, Liu Biao, Lü Bu, Meng Huo, Sun Ce, Yan Baihu.
    FD: Cao Cao, Liu Bei, Liu Zhang, Sun Ce, Yuan Shao.
    EP: Sima Ai, Sima Yong, Sima Yue.
    TROY
    Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Ajax, Diomedes, Hector, Hippolyta, Memnon, Menelaus, Odysseus, Paris, Penthesilea, Rhesus, Sarpedon.
    ROME REMASTERED
    RTW: Carthage, Egypt, Greek Cities, Macedon, Scipii, Scythia.
    BI: Eastern Roman Empire, Romano-British, Sarmatians, Slavs.
    RafSwi7 said:

Looking forward to see it finished (I also don't mind some in-progress pics).

on the way! I'm excited to know your thoughts

the temple where the battle map is, within the battlefield, there will also be a temple, exactly the same as the one you are in... meta

first in-game test:

edited January 2021

place holder textures for cliffs to test ai- no go areas

the birds eye view of the map

place holder buildings (prefabs) to help with scale

height of the level, i´m quite pleased with it

these rocks are place holders to test the no go areas

cliff paths need to be tested

PROBLEM:

I´ve had an issue with the units being completely frozen. it seems to have happened after adding Ai Hints.

i have just added:
    *playable area (default development zones)
    *no gos
    *other "Hints"

I´m deleting the types one by one to try and find the issue.

SOLUTION:

The height map was changed. I connected the outer field to the playable area with a height that the units could manage (but was later turned into a no go zone).

It will be hidden behind props to cover the mess from the player's view

A big thanks to @RafSwi7 for figuring out what was wrong.

You are welcome. I am happy that I was able to help you resolve your map problem.

Completed EMPIRE, ROMEII, ATTILA, THRONES OF BRITANNIA, WARHAMMER, THREE KINGDOMS, TROY and ROME REMASTERED campaigns:
    EMPIRE
    ROMEII
    GC: Ardiaei, Arevaci, Athens, Baktria, Carthage, Cimmeria, Egypt, Epirus, Iceni, Kush, Lusitani, Macedon, Masaesyli, Massagetae, Massalia, Nabatea, Nervii, Odrysian Kingdom, Parthia, Pergamon, Rome, Royal Scythia, Saba, Seleucid, Sparta, Suebi, Syracuse.
    IA: Antony's Rome, Dacia, Egypt, Marcomanni, Octavian's Rome, Parthia, Pompey's Rome.
    ED: Armenia, Caledonii, Gallic Rome, Marcomanni, Palmyra, Rome, Saxoni, The Sassanids.
    ATTILA
    GC: Alans, Anteans, Eastern Roman Empire, Franks, Geats, Himyar, Jutes, Ostrogoths, Saxons, Venedians.
    AoC: Kingdom of Asturias, Kingdom of Charlemagne, Kingdom of the Danes, Kingdom of Mercia.
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2 & 3
    W1: Belegar Ironhammer, Durthu, Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, The Fay Enchantress.
    W2 - ME: Alith Anar, Count Noctilus, Ikit Claw, Imrik, Kroq-Gar, Louen Leoncoeur, Morghur the Shadowgave, The Fay Enchantress, Vlad von Carstein, Wulfrik the Wanderer, Wurrzag da Great Green Prophet.
    W2 - V: Eltharion, Lokhir Fellheart, Markus Wulfhart, Repanse de Lyonesse, Settra the Imperishable, Sisters of Twilight.
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY
    Achilles, Aeneas, Agamemnon, Ajax, Diomedes, Hector, Hippolyta, Memnon, Menelaus, Odysseus, Paris, Penthesilea, Rhesus, Sarpedon.
    ROME REMASTERED
  • VisitaHareDanta91VisitaHareDanta91 Registered Users Posts: 34
    fantastic job! i'll keep an eye out.
    edited February 2021

Cliff modeling:

tactical view

Roads are in
    An olive farm

Side notes:
    When adding things in the "outfield" I did
    a few things:

Turned off "cast shadow". This was because the huge temple could have made the map extremely dark.

Turn on the show in outfield box. this allowed the mesh to appear in game. Whilst still being out of the battle area ( @RafSwi7 helped me here)
    edited February 2021
    Problems with enlarging props:

The huge temple where the battle map is seated wasn't meant to be this big. If the play gets the camera angle just right, they can see what would be the ceiling of the temple. However, there are no polygons here so the player can just see the skybox. This is a very common method to keep polycounts down in games design

The workaround:
    I will simply add a mesh, possibly a wooden table, and stretch it in place of the ceiling beams. The stretching and resolution issues won't be a problem as it will be so far away, but it will block the sky perfectly.

TroyTomus said:

Problems with enlarging props:

The huge temple where the battle map is seated wasn't meant to be this big. If the play gets the camera angle just right, they can see what would be the ceiling of the temple. However, there are no polygons here so the player can just see the sky box. This is a very common method to keep polycounts down in games design

The work around:
    I will simply add a mesh, possibly a wooden table, and stretch it in place of the ceiling beams. The stretching and resolution issues wont be a problem as it will be so far away, but it will block the sky perfectly.

You might use some walls or other buildings for it (but flip the upside down).

EMPIRE
    ROMEII
    ATTILA
    THRONES OF BRITANNIA
    WARHAMMER 1 & 2 & 3
    THREE KINGDOMS
    TROY
    ROME REMASTERED

"You might use some walls or other buildings for it (but flip the upside-down)"

Good point, I'll play around and see what works best
    Thanks @RafSwi7
    another issue from not having the poly's under the ceiling is that it shows in the reflection:

edited February 2021
    A port town:

*There's a little texture stretching on a cliff above the town, it'll be fixed

Organized:
    I've been very careful when placing objects. Always making sure I have the correct layer selected BEFORE i start place helps.

Try to move placed objects from layer to layer is easy enough, BUT you quickly end up with 100s if objects that need to be moved which is very time-consuming!

clearly label them too.

This came in handy when i need to send the file to another modder for help ( @RafSwi7 )

Here's what the Scene Hierarchy looks like:

Painting Vegetation:

Why:
    The "battle map/ vista" I have selected, South coast 1, has bushes for the forest and doesn't have any tall trees,

Making a "tree" layer helped keep things organized when placing them.

TIP
    pull the menu across the screen, a lot of the properties might be hidden
    oh, and SAVE your settings to make it easier when you load Terry back up.

here are the settings i used.

The great thing about this is that they are objects, unlike if you painted a forest.
    This means you can rearrange or delete the trees with full control!
    edited February 2021
    Painting "GROUND TYPES":

Roads:

sea, grass, roads:

NOTE:
    This only seems to affect the minimap, it does not seem to impact the units in any way.

Paint colours:

unpainted

I felt that adding a few brighter greens might be interesting.

painted

Unfortunately, this only affects the ground texture and not the grass model that appears when zoomed in.
    This makes pop-ins much more jarring, so the grass will not be painted.