Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Luminark useless

SarmatiannsSarmatianns Registered Users Posts: 4,492
Luminark was always a very niche pick, barely usable and only when you get a perfect map and surprise your opponent, which usually works only because no one really expects luminark.

That was pretty much fine, because it is basically THE sniper of the game. With too much buffs, it could become abusive on some instances.

After the latest patch, however, Luminark is absolutely useless. Literally anything can stop priming of the shot (opponent leaving area, a slight turn or a bump or just a single arrow hitting luminark can make order get dropped... are just some examples). When that happens, the shot is completely cancelled and it needs to prime again, which takes a lot of time.

Honestly, the old way of having Luminark fire its shot after a certain point even if it moves was better than this. Luminark went from "very niche" to "absolutely useless".

Order drop bug is not just a problem of the luminark, of course, and it certainly needs to be addressed, as soon as possible. That alone won't fix the luminark issues, it probably needs to turn and shadow its targets movement while targetting/priming, otherwise pretty much anything will leave it's targetting radius, and cancel the shot. Or simply have a luminark fire it's shot after priming reach a certain point regardless of what happens, like it used to.

Comments

• saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 8,405
    Yeah dropping order bug is annoying to say the least.
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc
  • ystyst Registered Users Posts: 8,356
    Good lord, spent years supporting this unit now they broke it again?
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
  • TlaxtlanSoothsayerTlaxtlanSoothsayer Registered Users Posts: 2,705
    I'm not entirely sure why you would spend money on Luminarks either.

It costs an arm and a leg, the Luminark misses quite often, it's quite easy to destroy, and there are way more cost efficient ranged units in the same army roster. (Such as Great Cannons, Outriders, the Black Lions, and whatnot.)

Compared to other factions it seems like a joke, too. Why is a Luminark more expensive than let's say a Cygor or Bone Giant?

The RoR Templehof Luminark at least brings some utility to the table. At least it comes with a bound spell. Although even the RoR might be overpriced, because it suffers from exactly the same issues as the generic unit.

The Luminark isn't very useful without any doubt.

• SarmatiannsSarmatianns Registered Users Posts: 4,492

I'm not entirely sure why you would spend money on Luminarks either.

It costs an arm and a leg, the Luminark misses quite often, it's quite easy to destroy, and there are way more cost efficient ranged units in the same army roster. (Such as Great Cannons, Outriders, the Black Lions, and whatnot.)

Compared to other factions it seems like a joke, too. Why is a Luminark more expensive than let's say a Cygor or Bone Giant?

The RoR Templehof Luminark at least brings some utility to the table. At least it comes with a bound spell. Although even the RoR might be overpriced, because it suffers from exactly the same issues as the generic unit.

The Luminark isn't very useful without any doubt.

Well, I do like to pick units I find fun. I fully agree that if you want to be competitive, Luminark wouldn't be a good pick ever.

I could tolerate Luminark being almost useless, but now it is completely useless for reasons already mentioned. I also like err on the side of caution with such units as a general rule. Better for it to be UP than OP, as far as I'm concerned.
  • MamaLuigiMamaLuigi Registered Users Posts: 55
    edited January 14
    Who needs luminark when you can just take 1 caster with vindictive glare and a second with gaze of mork for way less. The sniping cost efficiency is leagues better.
  • hanenhanen Registered Users Posts: 497
    MamaLuigi said:

Who needs luminark when you can just take 1 caster with vindictive glare and a second with gaze of mork for way less. The sniping cost efficiency is leagues better.

The Empire combo of the above would be a fireball caster + a shems caster + 2 blast. Its very, very effective.
  • The_real_FAUSTThe_real_FAUST Registered Users Posts: 1,180
    Good post by all in here.

Totally useless with other factions and other units in the same roster doing the job far far better.

It's a symptom of an out of date faction, I don't think it's been looked at as a whole in a long while.
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 28,280
    edited January 14

Good post by all in here.

Totally useless with other factions and other units in the same roster doing the job far far better.

It's a symptom of an out of date faction, I don't think it's been looked at as a whole in a long while.

The faction isn't out of date, the unit is since it's made with WH1's idea of balance in mind. If it had been introduced in WH2 it would probably be only half as expensive and be a hitscan OHKO type of deal. It could also probably summon units.

• outrage4outrage4 master engineerRegistered Users Posts: 416
    Luminars is highest achievable concentration of lord/character sniping.

Luminark is not designed for MP, it shouldn't be even semi-viable.

Is nothing like cygor or bone giant. It should be redisigned or stay in a useless state forever.
  • WarpDriverWarpDriver Registered Users Posts: 21
    We all like variety in this amazing game, and want to keep or expand on that.

But I have to agree with Outrage here, and from my experience slow and large characters (e.g. lords on crabs) are simply nullified by these extreme damage and long range tools, which are often heavily protected. Redesigning may be the best option to keep it in the game.

• SarmatiannsSarmatianns Registered Users Posts: 4,492
    I honestly don't think I've seen luminark used once in a competitive game even before this patch, which I'd label "very niche" state.

Just returning it that state would be good enough.
  • eumaieseumaies Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,001

I honestly don't think I've seen luminark used once in a competitive game even before this patch, which I'd label "very niche" state.

Just returning it that state would be good enough.

well it just lost in an ECL semi final, if that counts :).
  • TeNoSkillTeNoSkill Registered Users Posts: 3,052
    outrage4 said:

Is nothing like cygor or bone giant. It should be redisigned or stay in a useless state forever.

Well, then cutting the damage and increasing ammo would seem like a good move.
  • saweendrasaweendra Registered Users Posts: 8,405
    TeNoSkill said:

outrage4 said:

Well, then cutting the damage and increasing ammo would seem like a good move.
    It already got a ammo buff couple of patches ago,

You almost never get to use its full ammo if you do rip opponent.
    #givemoreunitsforbrettonia, my bret dlc