Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Deep learning AI is needed ASAP

betito123betito123 Registered Users Posts: 2
AI programmers at CA need to implement either a better AI algorithm or a deep learning AI that can be used on older games as well, imagine a deep learning AI that can be implemented on older titles from Empire forward. Currently all total war games are unplayable to me because its a waste of time playing against computers that have bonuses while you have normal difficulty units. Also, AI is extremely blind and dumb that it completely destroys the immersion. I believe as of 2021 there needs to be a deep learning solution to RTS games involving how AI behaves.
Tagged:

Comments

• RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,437
    Two question, say they do that.

1) How costly would it be on our computers ?
    2) How much would it slow down AI turns ?
  • LESAMALESAMA Member Registered Users Posts: 1,820
    I think the 3k ai is doing a pretty good job to be honest!
  • Vin362Vin362 Registered Users Posts: 513
    The only issue I have with the A.I in total war games is how some factions build armies.
    Supporter of Shu-Han, Waiting for a Three Kingdoms start date for TW3K
  • ComradCommodoreComradCommodore Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 598
    LESAMA said:

Let me borrow some of your TK A.i then plz lol

LESAMA said:

Did you play empire or rome2 or atilla?This is a breath of fresh air compared to those titles where the ai was literally brain dead
    Vin362 said:

The only issue I have with the A.I in total war games is how some factions build armies.

Not so much the armies. There fine imo. Ma teng ai focuses on cav and kong rong ai on archers for example. I do see the ai struggle with building up there cities.
    LESAMA said:

LESAMA said:

Did you play empire or rome2 or atilla?This is a breath of fresh air compared to those titles where the ai was literally brain dead
    Yes, I've played every TW game lol . This is the easiest one as of right now, when it comes to field battles. Maybe it has less to do with the ai and more to do with the generals and their role?

LESAMA said:

LESAMA said:

Yes, I've played every TW game lol . This is the easiest one as of right now, when it comes to field battles. Maybe it has less to do with the ai and more to do with the generals and their role?
    Me too since the very first shogun. Getting old 😊. I was referring to the campaign ai. The battle ai is definitely better than empire. Not sure about rome 2 though.
    LESAMA said:

LESAMA said:

LESAMA said:

Me too since the very first shogun. Getting old 😊. I was referring to the campaign ai. The battle ai is definitely better than empire. Not sure about rome 2 though.
    Hey, you and me both man lol 👴

The campaign AI is mostly alright. For me at least, the weird thing they do is abandon settlements alot to sometimes try and move around my force to make a break for my territory, now putting themselves in a bad spot.

They abandon fort stance always, and use force marched in the worst spots , but outside of that their army composition is always solid
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 28,278
    betito123 said:

AI programmers at CA need to implement either a better AI algorithm or a deep learning AI that can be used on older games as well, imagine a deep learning AI that can be implemented on older titles from Empire forward. Currently all total war games are unplayable to me because its a waste of time playing against computers that have bonuses while you have normal difficulty units. Also, AI is extremely blind and dumb that it completely destroys the immersion. I believe as of 2021 there needs to be a deep learning solution to RTS games involving how AI behaves.

Another "better AI" post that doesn't even feature any specific issue where the AI should be improved. These posts are worthless, it's like demanding "better policies" from politicians.

Also, no, a deep learning AI would most probably peeve people off because, in case you don't know, players don't want an AI that's better at winning, they want one that's better at losing. An AI that would hyper-optimise winning strategies like LegendofTotalWar would not be fun to play against at all.

Rome 2 was far worse. Ai wasn’t able to defend it’s own territory. I remember to just take city after city and the ai being helpless like a new born because it wasn’t able to wage war on multiple fronts. Also armies standing still in forced march or staying in forced march while dying of attrition. These game breakers are gone in 3k where the ai is capable to fight on multiple fronts. I’m also frequently ambushed and have encountered multiple fort battles. Yes the ai is far from perfect but all in all it get’s the job done.

What’s more annoying is the bugfest with on a number 1 position the treachery bug which makes diplomacy partly useless. It’s just unacceptable that there hasn’t been a hotfix and ca just leaves the game in this state without any communication whatsoever. You would almost drag them to court for it.
  • MasterSlayeXMasterSlayeX Registered Users Posts: 391
    Yah I would say the ai is alright at least for someone who would defiantly say is mediocre at best at RTS .

They will only challenge you usually if they think they have a chance and if they don’t have a chance they will run off into the forest and wait in ambush or put that unit in a defensive camp formation . They also will usually not engage combat if they feel they are too much at a disadvantage for the most post . Calvery ai seems good in combat too at least for rounding up your archers if you don’t keep them defended , spear ai seems decent too as they usually end up dismounting heroes which again is a pretty big thing . I wouldent say their general AI is very good though . A lot of times they charge a non strategist in head first without considering that commanders can easily die in a swarm as well as low rank officers . They do hold their commanders back a little bit sometimes but I feel they should hold them back a little more as commander class are all about buffing and passive buffs as well as higher morale for soldiers the better authority they have . taking them out can really help make the enemy route quicker so having those ones charge straight in defeats the strengths of a good commander .

Idk at least to me those are my experiences of the good AI moments
  • betito123betito123 Registered Users Posts: 2

betito123 said:

Another "better AI" post that doesn't even feature any specific issue where the AI should be improved. These posts are worthless, it's like demanding "better policies" from politicians.

Also, no, a deep learning AI would most probably peeve people off because, in case you don't know, players don't want an AI that's better at winning, they want one that's better at losing. An AI that would hyper-optimise winning strategies like LegendofTotalWar would not be fun to play against at all.
    1. Im talking mostly about land battles. I was playing rome 2 yesterday. I decided to fight against 2 enemy units consisting of a general and melee infantry. I had the same unit composition. I engaged the infantry with my infantry units and decided to flank the enemy infantry with my general and charge them. The ai is so bad that the general was literally doing nothing while i was charging with my general and backing up then charging again. It is extremely bad.

2. I believe there must be a way to handicap the ai once an unbeatable ai is made. Maybe lowering response times and increasing the number of mistakes they make. To be honest, i prefer a very hard AI than one that cheats. Imagine playing Napoleon total war as a coalition and an army that has napoleon as a general plays with a deep learning AI that is expert at land battles. wouldnt that be amazing??? No need for bonuses or anything like that.